Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

RC:

In Miami, the Range Rover has become some sort of a Volks-SUV for the wealthy. This is what the Range Rover is: A luxury, comfort oriented, SUV with good looks and a very nice interior. My wife doesn't like it though, she says it looks like a box but personally, I really like the Range Rover. However, it is a different type of SUV than the Macan or even the Cayenne. Speaking of Miami, I saw TONS of Cayenne but mostly, now hold your breath, V6. C'mon, who would get a Cayenne V6? Which brings me back to the typical SUV buyer crowd: It is a status symbol at some point.

For me, a Cayenne or even the Macan are FUN cars. Fun cars I can move my family in too. A Range Rover is not for me, too comfy, too luxurious, not my type of car, sorry. I also doubt that any serious RR buyer would consider a Macan and vice versa.

The Macan is a cheap(er) possibility for me to drive a Porsche SUV without paying 140k EUR for a well equipped Cayenne Turbo. The Macan Turbo will cost me 100k EUR at max (at least I hope so) and it will be pretty fast, faster than my more expensive (125k EUR) Cayenne GTS. This is what counts for me. I am going to miss the sound of the GTS for sure but I realized that while the GTS is fun in the city and on country roads, on the Autobahn, especially when fully loaded, the GTS isn't as much fun as expected. The Macan Turbo is rumored to do 0-100 kph in 4.7 seconds and 0-200 kph in under 18 seconds, so it would be perfect. The size of the trunk could be a problem but the rear seats are OK since we usually take the kids with us in the rear, not adults.

Or to make it short: I really don't think that we should compare the Macan with RR and speaking of the Evoque...well...this car is a joke. It has been styled to attract attention but driving it is no fun. Had a rental Evoque for a couple of days and all I can say is that it drives like...sh.t. angry Compared to my wife's X3 35d. I won't even compare it to the Cayenne GTS because these two cars are WORLDS apart and I am not talking about the engine.

Most SUVs in the States are purchased as status items versus the original intended purpose of such machines.  Therefore, it is not surprising that many are equipped with Lo-Po engine options as looks count more than substance.  However, one must remember that the Miami is not like most of the United States.  The weather, for one is much more temperate, and, for two, the roads are straight and flat.  These conditions, combined with much lower speed limits, means that the overall power gain of the Turbo is for moot.  

The thing that kills the Macan (and Q5, X3 etc.) is the fact it is made for 2 adults and children. You sit in the back of a Q5 and unless the person ahead of you is a near midget you hit your knees. I don't sit in the rear of anything very often but I wouldn't want to do that to anyone. The trunk will also be nearly useless.

Too small.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

The thing that kills the Macan (and Q5, X3 etc.) is the fact it is made for 2 adults and children. You sit in the back of a Q5 and unless the person ahead of you is a near midget you hit your knees. I don't sit in the rear of anything very often but I wouldn't want to do that to anyone. The trunk will also be nearly useless.

Too small.

Unlike in the US, you see many small SUVs over here in Europe. So I guess this is the target market for the Macan and of course those in the US who want a somehow exclusive brand SUV without the need for major luggage or passenger room. In Europe, the Macan will be a huge success. I see BMW X3 and Audi Q5 everywhere over here in Germany, there is a huge piece of the pie left for Porsche, this is for sure.

I really think the Macan Turbo could be our next family Porsche. I don't want to spend 130 or even 150k EUR for a family truck anymore, this is just too much. The Macan Turbo should be available around 100k EUR with some nice options, at least I hope so.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

The more I see, read and hear about the Macan, the more I want one and the more doubts I get at the same time...
    Wish I could make up my mind for once... yes, yes... I know. Nothing more inconstant than an woman mail smiley

Glad I didn't sign an order yet...

--

Suzy

RC:

In Miami, the Range Rover has become some sort of a Volks-SUV for the wealthy. This is what the Range Rover is: A luxury, comfort oriented, SUV with good looks and a very nice interior. My wife doesn't like it though, she says it looks like a box but personally, I really like the Range Rover. However, it is a different type of SUV than the Macan or even the Cayenne. Speaking of Miami, I saw TONS of Cayenne but mostly, now hold your breath, V6. C'mon, who would get a Cayenne V6? Which brings me back to the typical SUV buyer crowd: It is a status symbol at some point.

For me, a Cayenne or even the Macan are FUN cars. Fun cars I can move my family in too. A Range Rover is not for me, too comfy, too luxurious, not my type of car, sorry. I also doubt that any serious RR buyer would consider a Macan and vice versa.

The Macan is a cheap(er) possibility for me to drive a Porsche SUV without paying 140k EUR for a well equipped Cayenne Turbo. The Macan Turbo will cost me 100k EUR at max (at least I hope so) and it will be pretty fast, faster than my more expensive (125k EUR) Cayenne GTS. This is what counts for me. I am going to miss the sound of the GTS for sure but I realized that while the GTS is fun in the city and on country roads, on the Autobahn, especially when fully loaded, the GTS isn't as much fun as expected. The Macan Turbo is rumored to do 0-100 kph in 4.7 seconds and 0-200 kph in under 18 seconds, so it would be perfect. The size of the trunk could be a problem but the rear seats are OK since we usually take the kids with us in the rear, not adults.

Or to make it short: I really don't think that we should compare the Macan with RR and speaking of the Evoque...well...this car is a joke. It has been styled to attract attention but driving it is no fun. Had a rental Evoque for a couple of days and all I can say is that it drives like...sh.t. angry Compared to my wife's X3 35d. I won't even compare it to the Cayenne GTS because these two cars are WORLDS apart and I am not talking about the engine.

RC I'm one of the Cayenne V6 owners.. My daily commute is 100 plus miles in New York metro area traffic.  When I looked at replacing my Cayenne S, I test drove all the models. While I loved the GTS's performance, I couldn't justify the additional $40 - $50k costs for my daily driver in heavy traffic.  The Cayenne V6 is a great SUV at a reasonable price Smiley for a Porsche SUV.  The savings will be applied to my next 911 -- a 991 Targa 4S.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2013 Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic New York

bobr:
    RC:

RC I'm one of the Cayenne V6 owners.. My daily commute is 100 plus miles in New York metro area traffic.  When I looked at replacing my Cayenne S, I test drove all the models. While I loved the GTS's performance, I couldn't justify the additional $40 - $50k costs for my daily driver in heavy traffic.  The Cayenne V6 is a great SUV at a reasonable price Smiley for a Porsche SUV.  The savings will be applied to my next 911 -- a 991 Targa 4S.

And you probably seldom, if ever, miss the additional horsepower of the S.  

Mithras:

Too small.

Maybe you're spoilt with big cars - I'm 6'2" and don't have any problems sitting behind another adult in a Q5, and don't expect the Macan to be any different - of course there'd be much more room in a Q7 or Cayenne but that's a much bigger car, much less ideal for the UK.

bobr:

I get it but why a Cayenne then? For a daily commuter, I would want something fun and luxurious at the same time. A Cayenne V6 surely wouldn't make the cut. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    bobr:

I get it but why a Cayenne then? For a daily commuter, I would want something fun and luxurious at the same time. A Cayenne V6 surely wouldn't make the cut. Smiley

Why not?

Sure, performance isn't its ace with a 0-100 run in 7.8 seconds and 0-200 in 35, but it's a Cayenne in every other sense: the same brilliant chassis, exceptional build quality and the utility of the larger models. If anything, bobr's choice of pocketing the change was wise since his car will be trapped in traffic during his daily use and he won't be able to take advantage of the performance of the higher-end models [plus the fuel savings of the V6 versus one of the V8s is sure to be advantageous]... and the quality of New York roads with potholes and all isn't exactly friendly to smaller cars. Besides, the US's roads are highly regulated by speed devices and police so the luxury of an autobahn can't be enjoyed by speed fiends. Smiley

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

All  this talk. And yet no direct first hand comparison of RRS supercharged with dynamic package and Cayenne turbo. 

SciFrog:

All  this talk. And yet no direct first hand comparison of RRS supercharged with dynamic package and Cayenne turbo. 

This would be certainly very interesting. Smiley

--

RC..I'd thought long and hard about the Cayenne GTS, but when I sit in traffic that moves at 30 - 40 mph  my heavily optioned Cayenne V6 is pretty luxurious and safe during the winter months for the commute. I'm looking forward to seeing the 991 Targa S which will become my fun car to enjoy all the back roads on weekends and may make a few trips to the office during the summer when traffic is light. 

--

It would be more interesting wait for the upcoming RRS Supercharged RS and see a comparison with cay TTS...

Sounds very good devil

http://youtu.be/tex8DCRv3Ro

--

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet PDK Basalt Black/Cocoa

2013 Aston Martin Cygnet 

It's just me or this discussion about RR became kind of boring... angry

--

Boring cars the RRs, boring discussion. There is a video by Autocar above, comparing the RR with the Cayenne. The only really positive thing they had to say about the RR is that the interior is like a "lounge". A good reflection on the clientele.

Even off road, a traditional RR forte, it didn't manage to beat the 200kg lighter Cayenne Turbo.

I was talking to an avid RR fan since the 80s who's had every single model. Now that he's bought his first Cayenne Turbo, he told me that he feels like a blind man who's seen the light. No comparison whatsoever.

The Macan? It will be a huge hit. It will appeal to people who want SUV characteristics but also car-like dynamics in a more contained package. The badge helps too.

--

"Form follows function"

My wife want's to change her Pana Turbo to Macan Turbo already....She says she are tired of big cars, but want to stay with a Porsche smiley

--

Women drive mostly in and around cities and the Panamera or Cayenne size is too large. The Macan will be ideal.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Women drive mostly in and around cities and the Panamera or Cayenne size is too large. The Macan will be ideal.

I agree. My wife already likes her X3 size more than the Cayenne but she still would want to drive a Porsche... 

Only issue at hand: Luggage room. If it is really that small, this car would not be suitable for us. Stupid me, never looked in the truck, the engine bay was more interesting. Smiley I cannot believe however that the luggage room will be that small. It if is as big as the X3 luggage room, it would suffice. Not perfect but it would be OK.

--

RC:
    reginos:

I agree. My wife already likes her X3 size more than the Cayenne but she still would want to drive a Porsche... 

Only issue at hand: Luggage room. If it is really that small, this car would not be suitable for us. Stupid me, never looked in the truck, the engine bay was more interesting. Smiley I cannot believe however that the luggage room will be that small. It if is as big as the X3 luggage room, it would suffice. Not perfect but it would be OK.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. I saw a spy shot of a Macan with an open tailgate and it didn't look too promising. Looking at the following stats:

- The X3 has a trunk space of 550 liters with the rear seats up and it expands to 1660 when they're folded down
    - The Q5 has a trunk space of 540 liters with the rear seats up and it expands to 1560 when they're folded down

I'm guessing the Macan won't be as useful at the Q5 with its more raked rear screen and potential seat bolstering... But probably not too much less than the Q5.

rulesdontapply

--

2012 Porsche Cayenne S

The (more limited) head room in the rear isn't an issue since we would only move (the) kids in it. The luggage room is a different story but I still have hopes. There is no reason for a very limited luggage room.

--

reginos:

Boring cars the RRs, boring discussion. There is a video by Autocar above, comparing the RR with the Cayenne. The only really positive thing they had to say about the RR is that the interior is like a "lounge". A good reflection on the clientele.

Even off road, a traditional RR forte, it didn't manage to beat the 200kg lighter Cayenne Turbo.

I was talking to an avid RR fan since the 80s who's had every single model. Now that he's bought his first Cayenne Turbo, he told me that he feels like a blind man who's seen the light. No comparison whatsoever.

The Macan? It will be a huge hit. It will appeal to people who want SUV characteristics but also car-like dynamics in a more contained package. The badge helps too.

First we are talking RR Sport vs Cayenne...

Second we are talking about the brand new RR chassis, just to be sure.

Third: who cares about off road. Taking a $80k car off road is just plain stupid and that's not why these cars are really build for anyway.

IMHO if a $100k RRS comes even close to a $140k Cayenne turbo in handling, it is a huge win for the RR.

Now what is all that talk about a RR RS?

bobr:

Cayenne Diesel would be even better selection, than Cayenne V6, S, GTS in above commute criteria scenario...

SciFrog:

Third: who cares about off road. Taking a $80k car off road is just plain stupid and that's not why these cars are really build for anyway.

IMHO if a $100k RRS comes even close to a $140k Cayenne turbo in handling, it is a huge win for the RR.

I think you are deluded!

SciFrog:
    reginos:

Now what is all that talk about a RR RS?

The video I referred to features the brand new RR Sport in comparison with the now "old" Cayenne Turbo.

The price differential in Europe is not so huge (I think some 10%)  if we compare top of the range RR Sport (V8 supercharged) to Cayenne Turbo.

Offroad? If someone buys a SUV (with all the extra weight and complexity) it's good to know that it is capable  off-road, even if it might never see a dirt road.

--

"Form follows function"

SciFrog:
    Taking a $80k car off road is just plain stupid and that's not why these cars are really build for anyway.

I don't think I get why taking a Range Rover or Cayenne off-road is stupid.  Although off-road use may be only occasional, both vehicles are designed to do it if you choose, and going off-road is great sport.

100_0721.jpg

The Cayenne is very competent off-road. If that video comparison of the RRS and CTT is anything to go by, both cars have clearly expressed their ability despite their different backgrounds. The RRS remains a Range Rover with a history going back to spartan utility vehicles that should go anywhere while the CTT is a Porsche and emphasises the brand's sports car heritage. To put it simply: one car is a luxury lounge, the other a sports car in an SUV body.

Can we bring this conversation back to the Macan, please? Only fourteen days to go. indecision

rulesdontapply

--

2012 Porsche Cayenne S

OZR, I looked at the Cayenne Diesel and actually would have preferred it. However, the 5000 mile service intervals and AdBlue costs plus the initial cost for the diesel itself made the V6 a more suitable choice. 

--

sidicks:
    SciFrog:

I think you are deluded!

I am not deluded, I am asking a question, and have yet to have a comprehensive answer... Saw the if in my post above? We all know the handling winner is the Cayenne GTS, but it is not worth (to me) replacing the 09 CTTS by the GTS. However the technology and third row of the RRS is appealing if the handling gets close to the Cayenne TT. The $$ savings isn't bad too, no complaints but after 4 years my $140k Cayenne is worth less than $45k...

To get back on topic, IMHO the Macan is just too small for families in the US.

BMW have been selling over 30.000 X3s in the USA in most years since 2004. Apparently there is a niche for the Macan too.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM