Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

We get the chance to review the new Porsche Macan from the passenger seat ahead of debut at Los Angeles motor show If we had any worries that the all-new Porsche Macan SUV wouldn’t be a ‘real' Porsche, they quickly evaporated following a few minutes riding along in an early prototype with one of the brand’s test drivers at the wheel. Barrelling into a sharp bend just outside Los Angeles, Hans-Juergen Woehler, a development engineer for Porsche SUVs, brakes hard – harder than you’d expect any SUV could. Yet he turns in smoothly, stamping on the throttle in the exit and correcting a gentle slide. The lack of body roll, the agility and the playfulness are hallmarks of the 911, Cayman and Boxster, but here they are in a 4,600mm-long SUV. The Macan feels like a completely different car to the Audi Q5, with which it shares a platform. Suspension expert Karl Hess explains that the two cars share less than 64 per cent of their suspension parts. The team wanted a rear-wheel-drive sensation – even though all models are four-wheel drive – and the Macan can transfer up to 90 per cent of power to the rear axle. With a ride height 20mm lower than the Q5’s and a lower seating position, you feel more cocooned in – rather than sitting on – the Macan. Porsche Macan interior and specs The interior has had a complete Porsche makeover, too, so you get the same centre console flanked by buttons and a large touchscreen display as in the latest 911 or Panamera. At launch, there will be a Macan S with a 3.0-litre V6 twin-turbo engine producing 335bhp and a Turbo featuring a 3.6-litre twin-turbo V6 with 394bhp – which will get the largest brakes of any SUV in this class. There will also be a 3.0-litre V6 diesel producing 254bhp, and all engines are hooked up to a seven-speed dual-clutch box. Rumours suggested a 2.0-litre boxer four-cylinder could follow as the entry point to the range, but Porsche’s engineers denied this model’s existence. As Woehler floors the throttle of the Macan S we’re riding in, there’s an almost imperceptible hint of turbo lag before the car accelerates hard through the gears. We haven’t got any official figures yet, but a 0-62mph time of around 5.5 seconds is likely. As with most Porsche cars, the Macan comes with three driving modes – Normal, Sport and Sport Plus – and on models equipped with Launch Control, the system will distribute power between all four wheels, just at the limit of the tyres’ traction. Plus, the Macan sounds like a Porsche. Engineers have built a flap into the exhaust that muffles the engine note below 2,500rpm, but opens above that to release a thumping Mercedes AMG-like roar. We got a ride in a car on the standard steel springs and one on optional air-suspension (the Turbo has this as standard), and both felt firm, but in a grown-up and well judged way. In short, it rides like a Porsche. The optional air-suspension system is the best choice for those who think they’ll take their Macan over challenging 
terrain. Any heavy off-roading is out of the question – there are no differential locks or low-range gears – but cars with this can at least be raised by 40mm to get over outlying rocks or muddy fields. They can also be lowered by 45mm from the standard height to make loading heavy items into the boot easier. • Porsche Macan price and release date leaked As you can see from some of our pictures, though, the Macan is already pretty low – you sit at about the same height as someone in a Ford Focus. As we take to the hot deserts of the American south west, Woehler hits the off-road button, which raises the body up, changes the settings of the traction control and makes the throttle a little less sensitive. These dusty, rocky tracks are easy for the Macan, as the computer shuffles power between the axles to make sure it never gets bogged down. A few puddles later, and our convoy of Macans is completely covered in mud and dust, proving this sporty SUV can tackle the rough stuff – not that most owners would be too happy to see their pride and joy in this sort of state. After the heat testing of the desert, we head back on to the highways of California, where Woehler can show off a few of the Macan’s fuel-saving techniques. As we gently cruise up to speed, we notice that the petrol engine only gets to around 1,800rpm before the box changes up a gear – although Sport and Sport Plus modes change that. Then, as we reach 60mph, Woehler backs off to demonstrate the sailing function. As soon as he lifts his foot completely off, the drivetrain is decoupled so the engine revs drop to idle. As a result of this – and the aerodynamic flat undertray – we’re expecting about 35mpg from the Macan S, roughly 30mpg from the Turbo and 45mpg from the diesel. Not bad considering the four-wheel-drive performance on offer. Porsche Macan release date The full production version of the Macan is set to debut at next month’s Los Angeles Motor Show, with sales starting early in 2014. Porsche expects to sell 65,000 models in the first full year of production, but we did hear talk of that figure growing to nearer 100,000 – which would make the Macan the most popular Porsche in the line-up by far. Verdict The fact that you can sit in the passenger seat of the Macan and experience a lot of what you would in a 911 proves Porsche has spent a lot of time carefully tuning this car. It’s not a serious off-roader, but is a serious sports car, and with a range of great engines you can see why Porsche is so excited about the Macan. It’s not what the purists will want, but if it can bring in money to help the company develop future sports cars, it’s fine by us. Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/macan/66341/porsche-macan-2014-road#ixzz2hFxchwbz
    --

turbolite

I thought the "S" has a supercharged engine? (did I missread the Autocar article?)

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

I thought the "S" has a supercharged engine? (did I missread the Autocar article?)

If it was supercharged it would mean they use the Audi engine, which is unlikely given that now they have their own 3.0 biturbo Porsche engine as used in Panamera and Cayenne, with Porsche pedigree and with need for higher volumes to produce...

--

turbolite

Perhaps it's just Autocar who've got it wrong:-

"Together with the gutsy twin-turbocharged 3.6-litre V6 in the initial top-of-the-line Turbo, Porsche will offer the Macan with at least two further Audi-sourced 3.0-litre V6 engines from the outset of UK sales. Porsche has confirmed a supercharged petrol engine with 335bhp and 339lb ft in the Macan S and a common-rail turbodiesel with 254bhp and a heady 428lb ft in the Macan S Diesel."

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

the report above says something different:

there will be a Macan S with a 3.0-litre V6 twin-turbo engine producing 335bhp and a Turbo featuring a 3.6-litre twin-turbo V6 with 394bhp – 

--

turbolite

This is our first peek under the Macan's hood and it looks good; this looks to be the Turbo model judging from the "turbo" badges on the engine cover's sides.

You can also see the bonnet's cutouts for the headlights and the raised bits that lead to the headlight unit itself.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

I'm a bit disappointed with the mini-Cayenne look. I would have liked a more different, edgy look. Keep in mind that the Cayenne design is already 4 years old..

I would be interested in the Macan Turbo. I needed the Cayenne space when my twins were small because of the stroler etc. Now I could downsize a bit.  Guess have to wait for the final pictures.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

SuzyF:
    RC:

A few short facts (according to rumors):

2. Audi claimed that there is no room for a bi-turbo V6 in the engine bay, Porsche proved them wrong. The Turbo is rumored to get a 400 hp bi-turbo charged V6 engine. The Macan S also gets a V6, natural aspirated or supercharged (confusing information here).

When did Audi claim that? The SQ5 has a Bi-turbo V6 engine Smiley

Oh boy...a petrol engine, a bi-turbo charged V6 petrol engine. Smiley

The SQ5 has a Diesel engine.

It was kind of "provocation" from Audi engineers towards Porsche engineers that they couldn't fit in a bi-turbo charged V6 petrol engine. Never mind, just a little anecdote.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

993Targa:

I'm a bit disappointed with the mini-Cayenne look. I would have liked a more different, edgy look. Keep in mind that the Cayenne design is already 4 years old..

I would be interested in the Macan Turbo. I needed the Cayenne space when my twins were small because of the stroler etc. Now I could downsize a bit.  Guess have to wait for the final pictures.

The Macan will look edgier, more modern than the Cayenne but this will be corrected with the Cayenne facelift. So both cars will look modern and up-to-date but nothing too fancy (like the Range Rover Evoque) since they don't want to spook off customers. Many Macan buyers get one because it looks a little bit like the Cayenne, you need to understand the marketing concept here. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

bridggar:

Perhaps it's just Autocar who've got it wrong:-

"Together with the gutsy twin-turbocharged 3.6-litre V6 in the initial top-of-the-line Turbo, Porsche will offer the Macan with at least two further Audi-sourced 3.0-litre V6 engines from the outset of UK sales. Porsche has confirmed a supercharged petrol engine with 335bhp and 339lb ft in the Macan S and a common-rail turbodiesel with 254bhp and a heady 428lb ft in the Macan S Diesel."

I believe that's the case, Autocar got it wrong. I suppose different parts of the world may get different engine options but I believe the Macan S model will be standardized everywhere with a biturbo 3.0 V6. The Porsche dealer presentation in Atlanta made that clear. 

Macan will look good.Smiley

BUT, I have some reservation...

1. PDK-Why only double clutch gearbox in sporty suv? Any one who had a chance to drive latest 8 speed TIP knows that it is much, much better in slow driving and stop/go situation then PDK.

2. Macan Turbo-Are very powerfull biturbo engine really key to success of mid size suv? If for the image then OK. Porsche need something else if they want to get costumers that are buying SQ5 or X3 3.5d today... IMHO.

3. Price-Macan will be much, much more expensive in all versions then either Q5 or X3.

I don't think it is confirmed that the only available gearbox will be the PDK. Journalist are making assumptions and writing stuff when they don't really know. 

IMO Porsche should offer two versions, street and all-terrain with different body addenda, suitable equipment, and different gearboxes. PDK for street and Tip for the Gelaende version.

Off-road biased drivers should not be forced to get a Cayenne.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

IMO Porsche should offer two versions, street and all-terrain with different body addenda, suitable equipment, and different gearboxes. PDK for street and Tip for the Gelaende version.

If they don't know how to do it, they just have to take a look at the Tiguan. SmileySmiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

GM Austin:

I don't think it is confirmed that the only available gearbox will be the PDK. Journalist are making assumptions and writing stuff when they don't really know. 

"From launch in the UK next May, Porsche intends to offer three engines and a choice of either a standard six-speed manual or optional seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox, which has been chosen over the Cayenne’s eight-speed automatic on the grounds that it provides the new SUV with a more sporting feel, says Woehler."

Hans-Juergen woehler is Porsche's projectleader in the Macan-project.

--

Suzy

The PDK in the Macan is, according to my information, based on the Audi DKG, this is not your typical Porsche PDK used in the  911 or Panamera. Of course there will be improvements and modifications but I am also a little bit worried, like Kreso. Not so much about comfort but about sportiness.

As to the off-road capabilities (this may be interesting for Gary): The Macan has not been developed with off-roading in mind according to what I heard, so it remains to be seen how "capable" the Macan is, especially with the standard AWD setup and if Porsche will offer some sort of separate off-road package for it (which I kind of doubt).

--

RC:

The PDK in the Macan is, according to my information, based on the Audi DKG, this is not your typical Porsche PDK used in the  911 or Panamera. Of course there will be improvements and modifications but I am also a little bit worried, like Kreso. Not so much about comfort but about sportiness.

As to the off-road capabilities (this may be interesting for Gary): The Macan has not been developed with off-roading in mind according to what I heard, so it remains to be seen how "capable" the Macan is, especially with the standard AWD setup and if Porsche will offer some sort of separate off-road package for it (which I kind of doubt).

Acually the Audi dual clutch is better than the PDK. At least the one in the new R8. Don't know if that is the same basic gearbox?

Regarding the off-road capabillities. Don't get too enthusiast about that. It's based on the Q5 chassis and that is definitely not an off-road vehicle. Sure, you can go and do some very light off-roading, but if you want proper off-road capabillities, get a Range Rover. 

But seriously... Who wants to go off-roading in a car like the Macan or Q5??Smiley

--

Suzy

Macan will be soon unveiled...

macan.jpg

--

41 days to go... Fortunately I'm in Southern California at that time :D With a bit of luck I can visit the L.A. Motorshow

--

Suzy

Click to enlarge:

5tueren.jpg1381414710247gallery-big_01.jpg1381414710254ideallinie.jpg

--

SuzyF:

41 days to go... Fortunately I'm in Southern California at that time :D With a bit of luck I can visit the L.A. Motorshow

The press announcement should come earlier. Smiley

--

Press announcements do not show the car in person

--

Suzy

I'm sooo curious about the tail light look broken heart I don't like the Cayenne tail lights, hope this time they will make some improvement in this aspect.

--

SuzyF:

Press announcements do not show the car in person

True but the moment the car is official, it will be driving around and I will see it without camouflage. Smiley

--

Agree completely about current taillights.  Microsite shows a design much closer to 991, which i do like.  

I will probably be at the LA Show--should be interesting...

SuzyF:
    RC:

Acually the Audi dual clutch is better than the PDK. At least the one in the new R8. Don't know if that is the same basic gearbox?

Regarding the off-road capabillities. Don't get too enthusiast about that. It's based on the Q5 chassis and that is definitely not an off-road vehicle. Sure, you can go and do some very light off-roading, but if you want proper off-road capabillities, get a Range Rover. 

But seriously... Who wants to go off-roading in a car like the Macan or Q5??Smiley

Me, I do!  Why not have your cake and eat it too?  If you can have a great handling vehicle that can also go off-road, why not?  But much of the off-road capability is up to the driver anyway.  Jeeps and Rovers are superior off-road but I find I can go pretty much anywhere those vehicles do in my Cayenne.  I've even pulled a Rover out of mud that I had just driven through.  Smiley

As for the Macan, I am a little disappointed, but not too bad.  It lacks low range gearing but I found I rarely used that anyway, only in the most serious rock crawling.  I'm also concerned about the lack of a locking center differential, but that could be compensated for with good traction control, just have to wait and see.  It needs to be better than the Cayenne traction control. I find the biggest factor for off-road ability, at least the kind I like to do, is ground clearance. The Macan supposedly has more ground clearance than the Q5, in normal mode, and an additional 40 mm available with the air suspension. That's not quite as much as the Cayenne, but still good.  The approach, departure and break over angles for the Macan are also not quite as good as the Cayenne, but still very good. 

SuzyF:
    RC:

PDK is made by ZF for Porsche. DCT in R8 is made by Graziano for Audi and Lamborghini. Two totally different designs.

can't wait ! I love the small suv segment. 

Some tidbits from the Autozeitung (Germany) article on the codrive in the Macan:

The 3.6 biturbo in  based on the 3.0 biturbo with increased stroke for more torque. So it's got nothing to do with the Cayenne 3.6. The data according to the article are 400PS and 520 Nm ( this would be less than the 406  pound torque mentioned by the anglo press, which would be a preferable 550 Nm!). Macan S has 340 PS, the Diesel 258.  Development head Wolfgang Hatz says that until production they will tune the sound a bit more and they will eliminate some oversteer at the limit  (let's hope so! hate that..)

0-100 is supposed to be 4.8s witth launch control, Air suspension apperently very supple. The new multifunctional steering wheel is similar to the one in the 918, with menu, phone control and paddles. 

Tires on the Turbo are Michelin Latitude Sport 3, front 265/40 r21, back 295/35 r 21.

Price in Gernany (incl 19% vat) should be round 60k€ for the Diesel and 80k€ for the Turbo.

off to the plane to Frankfurt now, habe a nice day everybody!  :-)

--

turbolite

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM