Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

Hopefully Lincoln won't beat them to the punch in putting that joint tail light design into production. I see a lot of similarities between this MKC concept they just showed and the speculation we've seen going around about the Macans design cues. It looks really cool too, cudos to lincoln on this one, even if its just a fancy Ford.  

Lincoln-MKC_Concept_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_24.jpgLincoln-MKC_Concept_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_0f.jpg

Lincoln-MKC_Concept_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_22.jpgLincoln-MKC_Concept_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_14.jpg

Theres absolutely no Porsche in the front of this car though. still looks nice. 

Lincoln-MKC_Concept_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_04.jpg

You beat me to this; the rear light design looks like an inversion of the same lights on the Panamera Sport Turismo with the overall car looking like an American Q5. This looks to be a Macan rival anyway since they're both going into the burgeoning compact SUV/CUV market and look to be about the same size. That being said, I love this design and I'm glad Lincoln finally created a decent-looking car after a boring few years with questionable designs.

I know it's unlikely, but I'm still hoping Porsche will push the Macan design as per their "bolder"/Evoque-rivaling inspiration a little more than their other models and give us something to chew on. Just a few months to go; we'll hopefully see new mules soon with less cladding.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Enmanuel:

Hopefully Lincoln won't beat them to the punch in putting that joint tail light design into production. I see a lot of similarities between this MKC concept they just showed and the speculation we've seen going around about the Macans design cues. It looks really cool too, cudos to lincoln on this one, even if its just a fancy Ford.  

Lincoln-MKC_Concept_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_24.jpgLincoln-MKC_Concept_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_0f.jpg

Lincoln-MKC_Concept_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_22.jpgLincoln-MKC_Concept_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_14.jpg

Theres absolutely no Porsche in the front of this car though. still looks nice. 

US car designers always have the tendency to "over design", similar to some japanese car makers. This car looks OK for now, it will look outdated in two years and probably horrible in five years.

Why don't they try to keep things simple, set an "accent" here and there and nothing more?

"Over designing" products is actually the weakest link of a car manufacturer.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

Mercedes is especially guilty of this crime re:CLA and revised E class

It all depends on the target markets. Nowadays the money is in the East.

Maserati for example, have stated that their projected growth from 6.000 to 50.000 units is dependent upon Asian sales. Hence the change to the Quattroporte styling.

--

"Form follows function"

Enmanuel:

Lincoln-MKC_Concept_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_22.jpg

That looks like it must be Lincoln's badge-engineered version of the Ford Edge. I rented one in Florida on my last visit and was surprised how good it was.

--

fritz

fritz:

That looks like it must be Lincoln's badge-engineered version of the Ford Edge. I rented one in Florida on my last visit and was surprised how good it was.

Lincoln already has a rebadged Edge: the MKX. I believe this one's a smaller one based on the Escape platform.

rulesdontapply

--

2012 Porsche Cayenne S

the front is pretty ugly but those back qtr shots are very well thought

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

sfo:

RC:

Mercedes is especially guilty of this crime re:CLA and revised E class

I have a feeling that the 981 Boxster/cayman also falls into the same category; time will tell...
    --

93' Guard Red 968 Coupe

Enmanuel:

What's with the Klingon forehead styling on the front end?

Porsche plans to unveil the Macan in November at the Los Angeles show, rather than at the big Frankfurt show in September - evidence of the importance of the U.S. market, which is expected to account for at least 25 percent of the 50,000 or so Macans that Porsche hopes to sell worldwide each year.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/16/us-autoshow-crossovers-idUSBRE90F1HR20130116

Uh, November? Seems a long way off...

rulesdontapply

--

2012 Porsche Cayenne S

rulesdontapply:

Porsche plans to unveil the Macan in November at the Los Angeles show, rather than at the big Frankfurt show in September - evidence of the importance of the U.S. market, which is expected to account for at least 25 percent of the 50,000 or so Macans that Porsche hopes to sell worldwide each year.

Source:  http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/16/us-autoshow-crossovers-idUSBRE90F1HR20130116

rulesdontapply

Why? The Macan availability was planned for 2014, so November sounds just right. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    rulesdontapply:

Source:  http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/16/us-autoshow-crossovers-idUSBRE90F1HR20130116

rulesdontapply

Why? The Macan availability was planned for 2014, so November sounds just right. Smiley

Oh rats. I'm super-excited about this car so I was hoping it'd come sooner. Already saw a bunch of spy shots taken yesterday and today and it's looking better. If only Porsche would release teasers; waiting is going to be painful.

If market introduction is planned for 2014, delivery of a custom vehicle won't be before early/mid-year. Meh, I suppose I could look forward to a MY2015 Macan Turbo... Tick tock.

rulesdontapply

--

2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Why are you so super excited about the Macan? It will be Porsche's "bread and butter" model... angry

--

RC:

Why are you so super excited about the Macan? It will be Porsche's "bread and butter" model... angry

Can't put my finger on it - maybe it's the anticipation of a new model line, the chance of seeing a new design direction or just something new to look forward to. The bread-and-butter aspect of it doesn't bother me: look how the Cayenne proliferated. Cayennes are a dime a dozen and I still find myself fascinated by them [me, biased? Never. Smiley]; heck, all the salesmen at my local dealer are already expecting the Macan to become more common than taxis when it lands in Kuwait.

I personally like smaller cars but I'm still a bit too rough to drive a proper sports car/Kuwaiti roads are very unforgiving to low cars/I frequently ferry people and stuff around,  so an SUV is my best bet. I find the Cayenne a great size - not too long, not too wide - but I'm interested in the drivability and dynamics of the smaller Macan. If Porsche gave the already-great MQB platform the sporting edge it deserves then this will be a great utility vehicle; pair it with a Porsche turbocharged engine and sign me up.

rulesdontapply

--

2012 Porsche Cayenne S

The Cayenne was never the "bread and butter" model. 

Also don't forget that the next generation Cayenne could get closer, design-wise, to the Macan. As far as I heard, the facelift will be closer to the Panamera facelift, especially the rear lights.

--

RC:

Also don't forget that the next generation Cayenne could get closer, design-wise, to the Macan. As far as I heard, the facelift will be closer to the Panamera facelift, especially the rear lights.

The 958 will have been out for a solid three years come March so it makes sense that a facelift should be poking about somewhere within a year. I already expected the new light design seeing that Porsche has taken a fancy to the Audi-esque accent lights in their vehicle taillights. 

Are you hinting that Porsche might cheap out a bit with the Macan in order to make it more accessible to the masses? I'm not expecting a lot with the base model [possibly a rebadged Audi-sourced four-cylinder 2.0L TFSI with roughly 230 hp, 0-100 in 7.5 seconds?], but surely the top-end cars/option list should be up to snuff, eh?

rulesdontapply

--

2012 Porsche Cayenne S

The Macan will be the entry level Porsche for the masses, no doubt about it.

I'd say that the base model could be available starting at around 45k EUR, which would be a very interesting offer for many potential customers who want something special and who are read to pay up to 10k EUR more for the brand and some different looks/setup compared to a similar Audi Q5 model.

The Boxster starts at 49k EUR in Germany and the Macan is rumored to be the cheapest Porsche model, so it would make sense.

--

RC:

The Macan will be the entry level Porsche for the masses, no doubt about it.

I'd say that the base model could be available starting at around 45k EUR, which would be a very interesting offer for many potential customers who want something special and who are read to pay up to 10k EUR more for the brand and some different looks/setup compared to a similar Audi Q5 model.

The Boxster starts at 49k EUR in Germany and the Macan is rumored to be the cheapest Porsche model, so it would make sense.

Spot on - that's what I'm expecting from a price perspective. I read somewhere that Porsche is looking at a 15 to 20 percent premium for the base Macan over the base Q5. Seeing as the facelifted Q5 starts at 35200 EUR, the Macan should start somewhere from 40500-42000 EUR which makes it consistent with the 'cheapest Porsche' rumor. I'm sure the base petrol and diesel units will sell very nicely in places where fuel economy and vehicular size matter [i.e. Europe].

I've been told to expect a base price of 15000-17000 Kuwaiti dinars for the base Macan compared to 20100 KWD for the base Cayenne. With a pricing structure like that, I can already see all the rebadged Macan 'S' models parked in university and mall parking lots here. Smiley

rulesdontapply

--

2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Porsche Macan in cold weather testing...

(18 January 2013)

"The Porsche Macan small crossover has again been spotted, this time conducting winter tests in the snow. The vehicle looks nearly ready for its 2014 model-year debut, when it will slot beneath the larger Cayenne SUV.

The last time we saw Porsche’s sub-Cayenne offering testing in the snow, it was wearing Audi Q5 skin. Clearly, a lot has changed since then, with the crossover now sporting what is likely its final sheetmetal hidden under a bit of camouflage. The vehicle bears a strong resemblance to its big brother, which isn’t surprising considering the Cayenne was Porsche’s most successful model in 2012 – comprising more than half of the brand’s total sales. By offering what’s essentially a scaled down version of its best-selling product, Porsche can appeal to new customers.

Though from many angles the crossover looks just like the Cayenne, there remain a few differences. We again see the sharply raked liftgate, which lends the vehicle a sleek look but likely cuts into cargo volume. The taillights on this test mule are covered with stickers mocked up to look like those on the Cayenne, and could hide a more slender set as we’ve seen on the 991-generation 911, and new Cayman and Boxster.

The Macan will share a platform with the Audi Q5, so that model’s drivetrain choices will likely also be offered on the Porsche version. Those engines currently include a turbocharged 2.0-liter I-4 and supercharged 3.0-liter V-6, plus an upcoming hybrid model and 349-hp SQ5 model.

Production is set to begin in late 2013, so expect the Macan to be revealed sometime this year."

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche-Macan-19.jpg

Porsche-Macan-20.jpg

Porsche-Macan-21.jpg

Porsche-Macan-22.jpg

I like    Smiley

Quite nice, but anyone else thinks the rear looks a bit weird?

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I think the rear looks too raked, at least in these photos.  But the real car will likely look more integrated.  As the article states, though, a raked rear lift hatch will cut into cargo space.  I am sure Porsche is aware of the space issue, and will not compromise it too much.  Customers do want a small SUV option, but at least in the US they also want plenty of cargo room.

i think the rear looks like the baby Infiniti & will probably have as much room. Still like the over all size and with the details released on the audi SQ5 - that engine and suspension of the Porsche might be pretty nice.

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

RC:

pretty much half of all sales - if it isn't the Cayenne not sure what other candidates are on the floor. certainly isn't the Cayman or Boxster, definitley not the Panamera, so the only one left is the 911. that is certainly the essence car, but i find i have to agree with pretty much all the world press that it is the other vehicle sales, and most importantly the Cayenne,  that allows Porsche to continue with the 911 model. 

i would suggest the 911 is the gravy' the Cayenne is the bread & butter. 

--

I interviewed Michael Mauer recently at the L.A. Auto Show.  I mentioned that I thought the new Cayman had some 911 design elements and he had this interesting comment:

“Many people have said over the years that the 911 has reached its apex as a viable design. To them I would say not only look at the performance of the new 991 but at how the 911 design lives on in every model we produce, be it a Cayman, Boxster, Panamera or Cayenne. The 911, like a cat, has many lives!” 

that roof has enough curve that i wonder if it will take a sun roof? sure hope so - maybe an outside lift version like the 991 to accomodate head room inside.

--

it also exhibits that same back draft that just loads snow onto the back window & hatch  - the stuff cakes onto the back so fast and under such nominal snow conditions that it makes the rear view mirror useless, not that they are particularly useful anytimedevil they make side mirrors for actual driving.

--

RC:

I'm excited about it!  I think it will replace my Cayenne. 

CPA4S:

that roof has enough curve that i wonder if it will take a sun roof? sure hope so - maybe an outside lift version like the 991 to accomodate head room inside.

There will definitely be a sunroof option. An earlier prototype photographed last May sported a full-length panoramic sunroof that stretches just a touch behind the C-pillar; looks huge and should absolutely flood the interior with light. I've attached some photos below for you to get an idea.

rulesdontapply

--

2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691046 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410166 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256220 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235415 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65746 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858816 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775118 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM