Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Panamera Turbo S and Turbo Powerkit - Delays ?

My dealer just called me, my Turbo S order has been delayed from mid April to end of May.

Overall, it seems that Turbo S orders get delayed by aprox. 11 weeks and Turbo Powerkit orders by 13 weeks.

Nobody knows exactly what is going on, I'm working on finding an explanation for it.

So far, it seems that there might be technical reasons for the delay but since I got only a rumor from a source, I won't speculate until I have more (somehow confirmed) details.

Any other Panamera Turbo S or Turbo Powerkit customers here in the forum whose order got delayed ? Just curious.

The delay does not affect the regular Turbo engine.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Re: Panamera Turbo S and Turbo Powerkit - Delays ?

Update: The Turbo 40 hp powerkit has obviously disappeared from all Porsche car configurators worldwide. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Don't tell me you're going to cancel your order now ... Smiley

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SoCal Alan:

Don't tell me you're going to cancel your order now ... Smiley

No. No chance. Smiley Porsche already apologized for the delay in a very appreciated way but I'm still disappointed. Smiley

Lucky me I have the C63 AMG Coupe PP by the end of the month...I would be in huge trouble (one car short) without this car in April and May. Smiley

--

Could it have something to do with the Panamera facelift? 

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Exactly my thought too, Carlos, but  doesn't seem logical.  If a facelift were coming along soon, wouldn't Porsche be speeding production up?

Most likely a production glitch of some sort....

Rossi:

Wouldn't make sense since ONLY the Turbo S and the Turbo Powerkit are affected by the delay.

I spent the evening calling and mailing people and I got two solid rumors, which actually fit each other pretty well. Apparently these are rumors involving the PDK and/or the turbo chargers but nothing precise yet. I can't say too much right now but I'm pretty sure the reason will be known soon. Smiley

I'm lucky I just bought the C63 Coupe, otherwise I would be without a daily driver for almost two months.

--

RC:
    Rossi:

Wouldn't make sense since ONLY the Turbo S and the Turbo Powerkit are affected by the delay.

I spent the evening calling and mailing people and I got two solid rumors, which actually fit each other pretty well. Apparently these are rumors involving the PDK and/or the turbo chargers but nothing precise yet. I can't say too much right now but I'm pretty sure the reason will be known soon. Smiley

I'm lucky I just bought the C63 Coupe, otherwise I would be without a daily driver for almost two months.

Hmm, you're right, I didn't think about that.

May I ask you a question: I assume that you lease the Panamera and that you only keep it for a while, but why did you order one now, when the facelift is just around the corner? Smiley

--

Rossi:
    RC:
    Rossi:

Hmm, you're right, I didn't think about that.

May I ask you a question: I assume that you lease the Panamera and that you only keep it for a while, but why did you order one now, when the facelift is just around the corner? Smiley

--

The facelift will be available earliest 2013. Define "just around the corner" ? Smiley

The Turbo S won't be immediately available for facelifted cars, even if the standard Turbo may get a power bump of 20 hp or so, if any.

The Panamera Turbo S replaces my 997 Carrera GTS Cab which I practically don't drive anymore (no winter tires, no time, kids started to hate it, wife too). Porsche agreed to allow me to switch from the GTS Cab to the PTS without loosing any money on this deal. 

I got an excellent lease offer from Porsche Financial but I have to lease the car for a full 4 years to profit from it.

Do you need more reasons ? Smiley

--

Hi RC!  Sorry about the delay, and I will be very interested in what you find out about it. 

Off topic, but my computer continues to show one unread Panamera message, but I cannot find an unread message on any of the Panamera threads.  May be my own software problem, but just thought I would mention it....

RC:
    The facelift will be available earliest 2013. Define "just around the corner" ? Smiley

Oh really? I thought we will see the Pana FL already this year, so that was what I meant with around the corner. Your delivery in spring, FL after the plant holidays in autumn...

Okay, 2013 is a bit longer, but still I would not buy a pre-FL car in its last year, exception only if the car will be replaced by a totally new model. Smiley

--

1. I can't wait for various reasons (one year is still one year)

2. I do not buy this car (special lease offer, remember ?)

3. There won't be a Turbo S facelift model from the start

wink

The four years are perfect because I may get the next generation Turbo S in 2016. 

The facelift isn't supposed to stay around for long... angry Next generation is expected in 2015.

--

RC:

The Turbo S won't be immediately available for facelifted cars, even if the standard Turbo may get a power bump of 20 hp or so, if any.

The Panamera Turbo S replaces my 997 Carrera GTS Cab which I practically don't drive anymore (no winter tires, no time, kids started to hate it, wife too). Porsche agreed to allow me to switch from the GTS Cab to the PTS without loosing any money on this deal. 

I got an excellent lease offer from Porsche Financial but I have to lease the car for a full 4 years to profit from it.

Do you need more reasons ? Smiley

christian,

Have you also let go the M3 cab.?

So your Panamera replaces the GTS (which sounds logical), you keep the X5 and just bought the C63. So no more 997 Turbo as a garage queen which is another smart move. Am I getting it right?

--

ONUR

11 E92 M3 CP 

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Rc,

lve priced the 991 I am about to order at $135k us, so since I have a real sports car (scuderia) I'm thinking it's hardly more to get the turbo s pane era and have a family car that goes.....

how LOng do you think the order delays are on turbo s?

thanks

Wonderbar:

Off topic, but my computer continues to show one unread Panamera message, but I cannot find an unread message on any of the Panamera threads.  May be my own software problem, but just thought I would mention it....

Same here.
    Funny. My PC shows 3 unread Panamera messages.
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

watt:

Rc,

lve priced the 991 I am about to order at $135k us, so since I have a real sports car (scuderia) I'm thinking it's hardly more to get the turbo s pane era and have a family car that goes.....

how LOng do you think the order delays are on turbo s?

thanks

My production slot has been moved from end of March/ early April (not sure what day) to end of May. Delivery should be early or mid of June. The official word now is: 11 weeks delay for the Panamera Turbo S, this is all I have.

So many rumors about the reason for the delay but not one single accurate information. Bummer...

The official text says: "Because of technical production reasons..." Smiley

--

My dealer tells me delay is caused by a supplier delivery issue, not any kind of parts defect or otherwise...

RC:
    My production slot has been moved from end of March/ early April (not sure what day) to end of May. Delivery should be early or mid of June. The official word now is: 11 weeks delay for the Panamera Turbo S, this is all I have.

Sorry to hear about the delay. Remember? Just around the corner... Smiley

--

Wonderbar:
    My dealer tells me delay is caused by a supplier delivery issue, not any kind of parts defect or otherwise...

Well...actually both. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    RC:

Sorry to hear about the delay. Remember? Just around the corner... Smiley

--

Don't worry, I have the C63 Coupe PP for some fun and of course I still have the Carrera GTS Cab until the PTS arrives, so nothing to be sad about. Smiley

Also, Porsche sweetened the delay for all PTS orders, I can't go into detail (sorry) but it was something almost worth the 11 weeks waiting period. Smiley

--

Hey folks!  What do you think about a carbon fiber steering wheel versus leather?  I like the looks of the carbon fiber, but wonder if it feels a bit cold or hard versus the softer leather wheel.  Any advice?

Wonderbar:

Hey folks!  What do you think about a carbon fiber steering wheel versus leather?  I like the looks of the carbon fiber, but wonder if it feels a bit cold or hard versus the softer leather wheel.  Any advice?

Yes, it feels kind of different but I like the look so much, that I'm willing to accept it. Not the best solution for track racing though since the flat surface and palm sweat don't mix too well together. I love the alcantara wheel, especially the thicker version with paddles but I can't get it with carbon and/or the multi functionality.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

why is Porsche so tough on their options like the wheel?  I had to respec my cayenne 10 times because of the wheel...

why isn't the 3 spoke sport wheel heated? and why couldn't 4 buttons be added to it? :))) ML63 has all of that for a base price :)

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

BlackSparrow:

why is Porsche so tough on their options like the wheel?  I had to respec my cayenne 10 times because of the wheel...

why isn't the 3 spoke sport wheel heated? and why couldn't 4 buttons be added to it? :))) ML63 has all of that for a base price :)

Money, money, money... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I now know the culprit for the delay of the Panamera Turbo Powerkit and the Panamera Turbo S:

The turbo charger.

Apparently there have been quality issues. The issues have been fixed but the fixed parts can only be manufactured piece by piece, thus limiting the number of available parts.

The Powerkit for the Turbo is currently not available for order, apparently the Turbo S models have production priority until the necessary parts can be produced in larger numbers again.

--

RC:

I now know the culprit for the delay of the Panamera Turbo Powerkit and the Panamera Turbo S:

The turbo charger.

Apparently there have been quality issues. The issues have been fixed but the fixed parts can only be manufactured piece by piece, thus limiting the number of available parts.

The Powerkit for the Turbo is currently not available for order, apparently the Turbo S models have production priority until the necessary parts can be produced in larger numbers again.

Good, that the quality control has been done at the factory and not by customers.

Do you know what T/C Porsche currently use?

--

"Form follows function"

I think Porsche uses BorgWarner turbo chargers for the Panamera Turbo S. Only these chargers seem to have titanium compressor impellers for modern cars. I actually think that this is actually where the issues are with these chargers: The titanium usage requires a high quality control and a very precise production process.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763086 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435703 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260703 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257689 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80988 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872603 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808047 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM