Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

From my understanding of the 991, the manual transmission is based on the PDK transmission used in the 991. So I would think that would provide them with the option of offering a manual transmission as well as PDK. 

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

bobr:

From my understanding of the 991, the manual transmission is based on the PDK transmission used in the 991. So I would think that would provide them with the option of offering a manual transmission as well as PDK. 

Technical feasibility and economic viability are two very different matters. 

--

fritz

Soon the optional transmission at extra cost will be the manual transmission

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

At least that would mean that there is an option.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    reginos:

At least that would mean that there is an option.  Smiley

If in the end, any customers remain for it.

--

"Form follows function"

Porsche 911 GT3, Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe and Cabriolet - Spy Shots...

arctic-testing-2014-porsche-911-gt3-2013-porsche-911-turbo-coupe-and-cabriolet_INTRO.jpg

(13 February 2012)

With the seventh generation 911 now launched, Porsche is hard at work preparing the next round of extreme performance variants like the Turbo and GT3. Our spy photographers captured a 911 Turbo and Turbo Cabriolet undergoing winter testing, along with a craftily disguised GT3 spotted at night. Both Turbo models at least have the benefit of standard all-wheel-drive, to cope with those snow-covered roads. On the other hand, the driver of the rear-wheel-drive GT3 could have his hands full, especially from the look of this car’s massive alloy wheels and aggressive-looking tires.

2014 Porsche 911 GT3

Power & Control

The next 911 Turbo and Turbo Cabriolet have a wider stance than the base 911 and feature large air intakes in the flared-out rear fenders. A speed-sensitive rear wing is also fitted, and our spy photographers managed to catch it in the deployed position on the Cabriolet and closed on the Coupe. A quad exhaust can be spotted peeking out of the rear bumper, which also features extra cooling vents on either side for the brakes.

2013 Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe

A central exhaust exit is the giveaway that the car photographed at nighttime is the next GT3. Neither the front or rear bumper is GT3-specific on this early prototype. However, that center exhaust, combined with the large alloy wheels and monster brakes, will most definitely be worked into the production model. Sports seats and a roll-cage can also be seen on this test mule.

2013 Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe

Porsche is rumored to be working on the triple turbocharger arrangement for the next Turbo. The engine itself is likely to be a more powerful variation on the current 3.8-liter flat-6, which presently delivers between 500 to 530 bhp in Turbo and Turbo S format. That tri-turbo arrangement (coupled with Porsche’s PDK gearbox) could provide truly epic performance, considering the 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo barely needs 3.0 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph.

2013 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet

The GT3 will continue to offer a pared-down and pumped-up 911 experience, thanks to its lack of AWD, turbos, or fancy semi-automatic gearbox. With the last iteration producing 435 bhp, it seems likely Porsche will massage the 3.8-liter to an even 450 bhp (though no performance specs have officially been released). Porsche’s new 7-speed manual, already available on the base 911, also seems a natural choice for the GT3 once it comes to market.

2013 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet

Porsche 911 GT3, Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe and Cabriolet - Spy Shots - Road and Track - Article Link

Porsche 911 GT3, Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe and Cabriolet - Spy Shots - Road and Track - Gallery Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

funny - i was fooling around with pictures of the Panamera sport exhaust tips - turn them upside down and put them on my turbo - low & behold i would say porsche got the same idea based on the above.

--

2010 997.2 turbo cab 6 speed / 08 Cayenne GTS Manual - 08 RS 60 sold -04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

Oh no, still centerlocks on the GT3 :(

--

Matt C
    2009 997 GT3 Mk2  / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

what about 4S allwheeldrive first ?

Porsche's marketing logic is probably this : die hard manny drivers who say eaking out the fastest lap time is irrelevant for a street driven car can buy a base 991 or S and putz around and have as much fun shifting as driving a Miata from point A to Point B on a curvy mtn road.

For its most talented buyers  who DO want to improve personal best lap times with a new street legal 911 ( and where satisfaction is  measured by the stopwatch ,not nailing a perfect heel and toe which you can do going to the grocery store )  and if offering only one choice on its "performance models " GT3,GT3RS is PDK, they will sell the same volume or , I suspect , MORE than in prev generations.

My local Porsche sales friends says  manny -only intenders  are no longer  the market for these new cars now starting at  $100K .

Too bad the rather unattractive side vent seems to be unchanged on the 991 turbo; even the Boxster now has a nicer side intake. Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

^^^ ate my post again.

Will the final version of the GT3 expose the hinges, as shown in the spy photo?  I hope not, it looks a little cheesy.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

4trac, if you look closely you can see a different vent opening underneath the taped "old look".  I sure hope I am not imagining it, but I think you will see a more attractive vent on the new car.

No worries wonderbar,
    This car seems to be "just" a mule. The finalized product will probably have a fixed wing.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:

No worries wonderbar,
    This car seems to be "just" a mule. The finalized product will probably have a fixed wing.

Fixed wing for the turbo?

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SoCal Alan:
    Joost:

No worries wonderbar,

Fixed wing for GT3. Turbo has the erection wing.

SoCal Alan:
    Joost:

No worries wonderbar,

Extendable wing on the Turbo. The pictures of the convertible in the above post show the wing in extended position, whereas most other spy shots show the rear wing in "parking position".

Alan, I thought you were referring to the picture above that so clearly shows it's hinges. That is a GT3 mule (look at the centrelock rims and the central exhausts). We have also seen spyshots of a camouflaged 991 GT3 with a fixed wing.

The turbo is said (by RC) to possible have something quite spectacular to it. Judging by the pictures it looks like a 996/997 type wing, but the base of the wing, the stationary part still looks odd/camouflaged. Guess we'll just have to wait.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Wonderbar:

4trac, if you look closely you can see a different vent opening underneath the taped "old look".  I sure hope I am not imagining it, but I think you will see a more attractive vent on the new car.

Exactly. You can cleary see a more ovaled intake, almost 993ish. I expect it be very good looking.

Joost:

Alan, I thought you were referring to the picture above that so clearly shows it's hinges. That is a GT3 mule (look at the centrelock rims and the central exhausts). We have also seen spyshots of a camouflaged 991 GT3 with a fixed wing.

The turbo is said (by RC) to possible have something quite spectacular to it. Judging by the pictures it looks like a 996/997 type wing, but the base of the wing, the stationary part still looks odd/camouflaged. Guess we'll just have to wait.

Smiley  Yes, I was originally referring to the GT3, with the rear wing shown extended, with the exposed hinges.

Then, you responded to Wonderbar's post about the oval intakes and I assumed you were then referring to the side intakes of the turbo, and then your response was that the vehicle would have a fixed wing.  I was surprised with that response, because all the spy photos of the turbo clearly show a wing that will raise and lower.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

There are sites saying that the Turbo will be released during 2012.

Anyone know if this is true? 

Tks

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/gt/69949-spied-again-2013-porsche-911-gt3.html#post1241017

2013 Porsche 911 GT3 Caught Testing...

(17 February 2012)

The new generation Porsche 911 is out for quite some time now, but it took a while until Porsche has finally decided to take the GT3 version out for a testing session. The sports car has been taken on slippery and snowy roads and lucky for us the spy photographers were there to catch it testing.

As you can see in these spy shots the car has received the GT3 typical front bumper and the centered twin exhaust pipes, but the big rear wing that further distinguish the GT3 is missing. While until this point is not very sure what engine will be used for the sports car, we can tell you for sure that the engine will be around 450 HP. Also, as previously reported the GT3 will only be offered with a PDK gearbox, even if both versions are currently being tested. The GT3 will also feature the new electromechanical steering system that has been seriously criticized for offering less driver feedback than a traditional hydraulic setup.

Smiley SmileySmiley

Disappointing to see the same odd design of the front indicators/DRL-lights at the GT3 as well... enlightened

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Disappointing to see the same odd design of the front indicators/DRL-lights at the GT3 as well... enlightened

They have always kept the same indicators for the GT3 models. It saves on coast .

We will have to wait for the FL to get the ' nice' indictors.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    Rossi:

They have always kept the same indicators for the GT3 models. It saves on coast .

We will have to wait for the FL to get the ' nice' indictors.

My thoughts exactly. Smiley

But I still have some hope for the forthcoming Turbo. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Porsche 991 GT3 and GT2 may have Eight-Cylinder Boxer Engine...

(18 February 2012)

Porsche will release the GT3 version of the new 991 within a year - and now the rumour is that boxer six engine is replaced with an eight cylinder boxer engine that may allow cylinder shutdown. According to the sources of Auto Motor & Sport should also reduce the manual transmission is replaced with PDK or a robotised gearbox...

Rumour for the next Porsche 911 GT3 and GT2 is huge. Triple Turbo GT2 or not? Manual, PDK or robotised gearbox? Eight cylinder boxer engine or boxer six? And also electric steering from 991 Carrera?

After the launch of the new 911 Carrera and Carrera S are of course more versions. The GT3 model will be launched in 2013 and Porsche are currently considering whether to get a manual or an automatic gearbox. Project Manager for the Porsche 911, August Achleitner, tells "Inside Line" that only one transmission will be offered. Only 30 percent of the 911 buyers choose manual transmission.

"When we launched the 911 Turbo S, we offered no manual transmission, but we have not received a single complaint," he tells Inside Line.

While claiming one of our reliable sources that the decision on PDK gearbox in the GT3, GT2 and GT2 RS is really not at all. Porsche has a strong focus on reducing weight, and not only increase the peak. The PDK gearbox increases the weight by over 50 pounds. The 7-speed manual box from the 991 Carrera, or a robotised gearbox is much easier -- Lamborghini chose such robot box at the development of the Aventador.

Here are thinking Porsche to install an eight-cylinder boxer engine in the new GT3 model. And it fits, according to our source. To provide four liters, six cylinders require very large piston diameter. The move to eight cylinders with smaller piston diameter means that the length need not increase as much.

There is more news for Porsche enthusiasts to react to...

A reliable source reported to Auto Motor & Sport that Porsche developed an eight-cylinder prototype engine with four cylinders in the middle that can be turned off to save fuel and, in particular reducing emissions. Cylinder shutdown process will work much like the V8 engines sitting in the Audi S6 / S7 / S8 and Mercedes AMG models.

The current, "old" GT2 engine must have a large fan that blows out fresh air in the exhaust pipe to get the right issues. Without the system, the engine would not pass environmental certification. With eight cylinders and cylinder shut-off increases the chances of getting a cleaner engine that meets the EU requirements. The decision whether there will be eight or six cylinders in the boxer engine is not time yet.

Previously, we reported also that the upcoming Porsche 911 Turbo can get triple turbo to increase power. However, this is contrary to Porsche objective to reduce the weight instead of increasing the peak power. Clearly, the Turbo model gets two turbos, as in 997-model, but soon, the aggregates are placed in front of the drive shafts - that is usually under the rear seat.

It is not yet known whether the system of turbochargers in front of the drive shaft end up on the Turbo model only, or the monster model GT2. The location would provide better weight distribution and thus a balance approaching a mid-engine, but the question is whether the typical rear-engined 911-balance would be lost?

Electromechanical steering from 991 Carrera to end up probably in GT3 model.
    Project manager defends the system to the "just remove the steering feel you do not need."

To further improve the balance Porsche working on a gearbox using the gear to extend the distance between the center of the ring gear (differential) and the socket for the axle shafts. Then the motor can move further towards the center and the car gets a better weight distribution.

And it does not stop there: August Achleitner confirms that even the GT3 and GT2 versions, the new electromechanical steering of the 991 Carrera, which received some criticism because the feeling is not quite match the steering feel of its predecessor, 997 model.

"The new system only removes feedback that you do not need. All of our racers prefer electromechanical," he says.

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

To many rumors!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Doesn't sem credible. Porsche has already stated that they were going to use the same engine base for all the models of the 91 including the GT3, and for the very reason that it doesn't make sense to have two engine families when the DFI can fit both...

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM