Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: So why are we all not buying GT3's?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    faterikcartman said:
    Some of you guys must be single or unafraid of divorce.

I was the guy who wanted both. I read the advice here and told my wife I thought we could only afford one.

She said "which one did you say was the plush one?"
    "Um", I replied, "the turbo."

She then said "we're getting the turbo."

Sometimes it's that simple.

And maybe some people here realize that you shouldn't be a wimp and should show the wife who's boss. If it's your money you're spending, you're the only one who should decide what to do with it. Now, of course the guys advised you to get the Turbo, but what if you want to get another car down the road? Are you going to beg your wife to give you permission

She agrees I could get both, it's me who's being conservative on buying two.

As for buying only one and ignoring the wife's input on a purchase over $100K--she works too and we are not "married in name only". If there are guys out there who are and stay happily married without any divorces in their past and thumb their noses at their working wife when making huge purchases for pleasure, I've yet to meet them.

Quote:
    faterikcartman said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    faterikcartman said:

I was the guy who wanted both. I read the advice here and told my wife I thought we could only afford one.

And maybe some people here realize that you shouldn't be a wimp and should show the wife who's boss. If it's your money you're spending, you're the only one who should decide what to do with it. Now, of course the guys advised you to get the Turbo, but what if you want to get another car down the road? Are you going to beg your wife to give you permission

She agrees I could get both, it's me who's being conservative on buying two.

As for buying only one and ignoring the wife's input on a purchase over $100K--she works too and we are not "married in name only". If there are guys out there who are and stay happily married without any divorces in their past and thumb their noses at their working wife when making huge purchases for pleasure, I've yet to meet them.

I apologize if my post sounded harsh, but I got the impression that the wife had to approve everything you bought. I agree, blowing your entire yearly budget on a sports car would be irresponsible, but as long as you live comfortably and are left with money to spare and invest into a retirement fund, I don't see a problem.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    1* No PSM... electronic stability system is a must have for "street" road cars wether the owner realises or not, but whne they do its ussually too late. And to those that think they are a Schummacer, driver skills are not a substitute for electronic stability. In the street accidents are cause by many other factors that are driver-independant for which driving skill are not antidote.

Agree 100%. On a track, you turn off PSM as you continually refine with 100% concentration your corner approach and exit repeatedly as you gain knowledge of that particular track and it's traction that day. So you want maximum control with your throttle foot for maximum fun.

On the road , you can spin yourself and your family into a wall or worse if in a blinding rainstorm on an unfamiliar dark road a refigerator suddenly falls off the back of the pick up truck directly in front of you just as you are reaching to change the temp on your climate control . Totally unanticipated - PSM is no guarantee of " hand of god " help , but I'd rather have it in that situation.

Even with a top race driver's reflexes and car control , he'd have to practice this above scenario several times ( and even then with full anticipation ) on a training course to get it almost " right ". You get one chance on the street.

Are these the modern days ?

10 or 15 years ago nobody would complain about a lack of PSMlike features on a car.

The GT3 will have tons of grip, great brakes, ... a safe enough car if you take the time to discover it's capacities.

The GT3 looks better than the TT (in my eyes) but I have to admit that - at this moment - I can not choose, I like 'm both !

I am going with the GT3...I will not miss the rear seats as my kids are older. I can handle the look of the spoiler...even like it better than the turbo. The lines on the GT3 sold me. The turbo looks blah, heavy, and boring imo.

From the front the TT's LED lights look like a "Hammer Head" Shark.
    The wheels suck.
    And from the rear what is up with that?
    Ugly tail pipes, giant holes around the pipes, Pontiac-ish looking plastic?

They need to try again on this car.
    The GT3..look nice but the "S" wing is a bit Rice burnerish and should be on a Mitsubishi or a Subaru, not a Porsche.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    faterikcartman said:

Lighten up buddy.... He's just being cosiderate. I'll do the same

I'm on the list for the Turbo just in case the Ferrari dealer doesn't keep their word and I don't get the F430 at msrp. But I think I rather buy a GT3 and install rear seatbelts and not the seats, anyone riding in the back better bring a cusion for his/her butt. I just think that this new turbo looks far too much like the previous one on the outside.

Quote:
    Red360F1 said:
    I'm on the list for the Turbo just in case the Ferrari dealer doesn't keep their word and I don't get the F430 at msrp. But I think I rather buy a GT3 and install rear seatbelts and not the seats, anyone riding in the back better bring a cusion for his/her butt. I just think that this new turbo looks far too much like the previous one on the outside.

Yes. It's called EVOLUTION .

turbo, turbo, turbo!

Turbo in my opinion is just a challenge against super cars. GT3 on the other hand is more driving enjoyment and fun, especially the new 997GT3 which is more civilized and has a BADER look.
    There will be always a faster car than yours, but who's enjoying his car more??
    That's my toy

I am interested in a GT3... it is a car that can be driven everyday (but with some sort of experience)... moreover... it simply looks better. All of the things you said- it is lighter, looks better, the power is relatively comprable to the TT.. so why not?

The boy racer looks are fine- it is a race car for the road, so I don't mind that. Plus- the rear wing and all- it's a porsche, not a honda with some cheap wing that does nothing- it truly does something for the car.

The TT- I just can't get over the looks. I don't like the tail-pipes... I don't like the front (it's the foglights that ruin it for me)-- and honestly those wheels suck too. Yes, the 460- AWD power is GREAT... and it has a flat underbody panel- but really it's looks don't do it for me. The GT3 looks aggressive, and keeps in what porsche looks like. The TT doesn't look better than the old TT- even though it has some great stuff with it's engine. I need more.

TT all the way, I live in the real world, I'll drive the [censored] out of it everyday. 15-20k milage per year, wife and kids occasionally in the car.Throw in some track time too.
    As far as the wife goes, while it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, I have no problem discussing a large purchase with my wife, it's called being married.
    Re the rear seats in a GT3, my ins co, USAA in NY had a big problem with it in a 996GT3, that's why I passed on one. I doubt the 997GT3 is any different, the car is imported as a 2 seater, there lies the problem and potential liability.
    The rear spoiler is a little boyracer for me too.

Chris - assume Doug is still heading in the Turbo direction....will be interesting to compare head to head.

Should have a GT3 to benchmark against in Q4....

To each his/her own. But, it's 480 hp and the GT3 has no where near the real world usable power or torque of the tt. The GT3 may be an awesome track, or limited use street car, but it's no match for a tt in rolling start/street use driving. When the tt is producing over 450 lbs/ft. torque between 1950 and 5000 (over 500 w/ overboost), the GT3 will be producing about the same as the 997S. AND, most of the hp is at the top of the tach., lots of fun but not for the street, and definately not a daily driver. TURBO, TURBO, TURBO.
    I too love a relatively raw, race type street car, but the GT3 is too much of it for the street. And the wing, are you kidding me; hideous.

ok, just don't say "hedeous" it's not suiting you that's all.

Sorry

Quote:
    BMCG said:
    Chris - assume Doug is still heading in the Turbo direction....will be interesting to compare head to head.

Should have a GT3 to benchmark against in Q4....

Yes, we're both doing TT's, mine will be in early '07.

i dropped my gt3 order... but TT tip AND gt3RS is perfect, so that's what i ordered

"it may come along once in eery 8 years but the 911 turbo is always worth waiting for"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761517 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434836 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260219 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257366 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80855 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5317 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871671 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806985 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM