Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991... (LAUNCH thread)

Lukas:

For you guys considering order Carrera Red interior. Just found some real life pics of this combo. I've never been a fan of red interiors, but I have to admit that it looks really good on the 991. Especially on a black car kiss

991_red_1.jpg

991_red_2.jpg

--

interesting -- on a full leather dash, this part around the chrono, including the vent surrounds looks like itis all fake. i saw an option to leather the dash sill right under the window - it also includes this piece. couldn't for the life of me figure it out until this pic.

i can't believe that whole part is otherwise fake.

--

2010 997.2 turbo cab 6 speed / 08 Cayenne GTS Manual -04 C4S sold 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

Yes, that part is plastic.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Finally saw it this evening. CS w/-20mm Sport Pckg. In real life on the street, without show lights - JUST INSANE! Low, rounded, fluid, wide... Almost mid-engined proportions. Never seen anything better.. and yet so simple! 

Bravo Porsche!

I have to figure out how to make better money to have it! This is a MUST!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amKuBTb05EA

Damn the braking is so impressiveeeeee no

WOW!!!!

Porsche 911 Carrera S review by Autocar...

Porsche 911 3.8 Carrera S First Drive

Test date 31 January 2012  
    Price as tested  £81,242

What is it?

The most important new sports car of the year – the new Porsche 911. This is the Carrera S, the headline ‘991’-generation car – for the time being. And, after test drives at the car’s international launch in Santa Barbara late last year, we’re now in a position to report on what this remarkable sports coupe is like in right-hand drive form, and on UK roads.

So does it ride as well as handle? How much bigger does it feel on narrow cross-country roads – and how much faster? And does it still look, sound and generally behave like a 911 as we know it?

What’s it like?

Entirely familiar. And, at the same time, quite daring. Revolutionary, almost. Under the sheet metal, this car differs from the last in myriad and telling ways. Longer wheelbase, wider front track, a standard seven-speed manual gearbox, aluminium-rich construction, electromechanical power steering, active anti-roll cancellation, automatic engine stop-start; was even the water-cooled ‘993’ this different from the car that preceded it?

Although it’s 56mm longer at the kerb, the ‘991’ is no wider. So says Porsche; it certainly feels wider when you lower yourself in. The front passenger seat seems that bit further away from your hip; the centre console that bit wider, too. And when you adjust the steering wheel for ideal reach, the relative position of the gearlever – from memory, within a hand’s span of the bottom left quadrant of the steering wheel in a ‘997’ and a ‘996’, but a less easy grasp now – seems to confirm the suspicion.

The base of the windscreen is further from your seating position, too. There’s little if any pedal offset. The rear seats remain for kids’ use only. But the rest of the cabin is a drastic improvement. With swish aluminium trim accents, neat and consistent switchgear design and chunky material feel, this is a proper ‘premium’ fascia. It does Porsche considerable credit, and stands up to comparisons with the very best.

Power for the 3.8-litre Carrera S is up 15bhp to 395bhp, and torque up 15lb ft to 324lb ft. Small improvements, but channelled through a closely stacked seven-speed gearbox, they make the new 911 a very fast and responsive car indeed across the ground.

Its performance is delivered in layers. The car kicks like a full-blooded hot hatch at 3500rpm – then harder still between 4500- and 5000rpm – before erupting into an awesome crescendo of noise and focus-testing urgency above 6500rpm.

Peak power doesn’t materialise until 7400rpm – but more impressive still is the car’s gargling, linear mid-range. Flat out through there, ‘Sport’ mode engaged, Porsche’s flat six sounds even more idiosyncratic than ever; spiky and yet silken. Like a well-oiled chainsaw chewing through the confines of its padded cell – you might say.

Flaws? Well, getting used to a seven-speed manual change takes time. Top is only accessible from 5th and 6th gears. Knock the lever out of 7th and it’ll return naturally to the middle of the gate, ready to engage 3rd or 4th – so dropping from 7th down a gear or two requires a bit of practise. But once you learn to ignore top gear for all but motorway cruising, the ‘box becomes much easier to use.

What about the UK ride and handling? A subject we could devote thousands of words to and still leave questions unanswered.

Suffice it to say that the ‘991’ handles with supreme stability and composure, even when you goad it. Gone, mostly, is the old car’s tendency to nod over its front axle when its vertical equilibrium is disturbed. And likewise addressed is the steady power-understeer that could sometimes spoil the car’s cornering manners. You can power your way out of bends with confidence now, and tackle crests and dips with as much commitment as you like; body control isn’t in question at either end of the car’s chassis.

Road width is never an issue in the new 911. It remains a compact car amongst peers like the Audi R8 and Aston Vantage, and can easily be threaded along an exact cornering line, or a narrow lane.

And sure enough, when you probe and prod that bit deeper, the 911’s special underlying dynamic character – the same motive DNA that has been bringing owners back for more for almost half a century – is there to be unearthed in the ‘991’. Pile fast into a corner, brake late up to the apex, and that light front-end drags you in while the rear pivots around behind, enhancing steering response.

Accelerate hard as the road opens out and you’ll feel that heavy tail hunker down, squidging the car’s rear wheels into the road and transmitting power into pure traction instantly. Hit a bump and you’ll feel it through the steering wheel; a slippery patch of road, too. But neither will undermine the car’s basic composure. Brake hard and the front wheels refuse all but the most determined attempt to lock.

Not to like? There’s the slightly mushy centre feel of that electric power steering. Being very picky indeed, you could also say that the shift quality of the manual gearbox leaves a smidge to be desired, and may wonder why Porsche still hasn’t made its direct injection engines respond to millimetric throttle adjustments with the same creamy smoothness of its older lumps. But we don’t think you’d wonder for very long.

Should I buy one?

I can’t honestly think of a new driver’s car due out in 2012 that’s likely to be better. A Lotus Evora may be a purer, more sweetly balanced thrill, but it lacks complexity next to the 911. An Aston Martin Vantage is a much duller drive; an Audi R8 closer, but no match.

On the face of it, the new Porsche 911 may seem like a softened, sanitised option. In fact it’s just more competent; better riding, better handling, more usable, more refined – and at the end of the day, just as wonderful as ever. Its vibrancy of character is buried a little deeper than it used to be, sure. But taking the time and effort to tease it out, on road or track, remains a singularly enthralling and rewarding pleasure.

Porsche 911 Carrera S

Price: £81,242; Top speed: 188mph; 0-62mph: 4.5sec; Economy: 29.7mpg; CO2: 224g/km; Kerbweight: 1395kg; Engine: 6 cyls horizontally opposed, 3800cc, normally aspirated; Power: 395bhp at 7400rpm; Torque: 324lb ft at 5600rpm; Gearbox: 7-spd manual

Porsche 911 Carrera S review -- Autocar link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche 911 Carrera S review by Autocar...

...was even the water-cooled ‘993’ this different from the car that preceded it?

...does a motoring hack ever recover from such a blooper..?  Should one even bother to read on..?Smiley

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Good point!  When I read it I put it down to a "typo" error for '996'.  But you are right about the article's resulting credibility...

You would think the proof readers would have picked it up..heart

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Yeah, I saw that blooper too. And there's another. It says the car has 395bhp. Nope. It has 400bhp according to the Porsche GB website.

I'm tired of motoring hacks who can't be bothered to research their subjects properly.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Most of the "hacks" have never owned and likely never will own a Porsche. Fewer yet have any technical knowledge about them.

Don't expect much from them.

easy_rider911:

Yeah, I saw that blooper too. And there's another. It says the car has 395bhp. Nope. It has 400bhp according to the Porsche GB website.

I'm tired of motoring hacks who can't be bothered to research their subjects properly.

I think it is a ''bloop'' on that website and expect soon to be replaced with 395bhp as the ratings ARE - 400PS (HP) or 395bhp.

easy_rider911:

The 400 power figure is in PS (Pferdestärke, literally Horse Strength) the German unit of measurement often mentioned as HP too.

British magazines like to convert into the old British "bhp" (brake horsepower) units of measurement which are 98.6% of PS (HP). Therefore 400PS = 395bhp.

kW is also used in Europe. 400 PS is 294 kW. I think kW is the official unit now in the EU.

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks for the clarifications guys :)

I still didn't think much of the article though. So often articles like these read like a re-hash of what other people have written with few (if any) insights from the journalist.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

reginos:

The 400 power figure is in PS (Pferdestärke, literally Horse Strength) the German unit of measurement often mentioned as HP too.

British magazines like to convert into the old British "bhp" (brake horsepower) units of measurement which are 98.6% of PS (HP). Therefore 400PS = 395bhp.

kW is also used in Europe. 400 PS is 294 kW. I think kW is the official unit now in the EU.

The knowledge on this board never ceases to amaze me...wink

--

reginos:

I think kW is the official unit now in the EU.

Correct. And as usual, if the EU dictates something, nobody wants to stick to it. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Can't get enough of the 991 PSE... Porsche really cracked it this time kiss

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

I really, really wish my GTS sounded like that....surprise

I wonder if there's any way it could? 

--

That's an incredible sound. I love the popping and crackling. Almost sounds like a GT3. Really furious :)

I wonder what the 991 GT3 will sound like? :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

John H:

I'm about to find out.  Will let you know how it works out for me.  Smiley

Sounds great.  I hope the 991 Turbo has a PSE.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

PureBlue:
    John H:

Hey.. thanks PB.  Where are you going to find out..?

--

John H:
    PureBlue:
    John H:

After lamenting the disappointing sound from the GTS's PSE, I've taken the plunge and ordered an aftermarket exhaust specifically designed for the 997.2 Carrera/S/4/4S/GTS by SharkWerks in California.  Effectively replaces the central muffler (silencer) with two straight-through stainless steel pipes, for what should - by all accounts - be a far more satisfying sound.  I've had it approved by the local OPC (so no warranty issues) and they're even doing the fitment for me.  Should be arriving next week.  I'll post up full details, pics and some feedback as soon as it's fitted.

BTW I've also ordered the black stone guards from Porsche Exclusive, which should also be arriving soon.  Hopefully, I can have them fitted at the same time.  Smiley

Great ... are you planning to record some sound files?

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

Great ... are you planning to record some sound files?

I might.  In the meantime, check out the SharkWerks website - this is the link to the actual product and it contains a few videos with soundtracks (although I never fully trust the sound on a YouTube video, as it often seems quite distorted - but it might give some idea).

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

Pure blue - we must get together sometime - I went for a morning drive out  Theewatersoof with 2 friends (997.1 and 996 4S) last week with 3 co-driver friends - had a blast..!  All had a drive and it was great to compare notes (everyone very sensible and respectful).  Doing it again soon with a stop off at the motor museum - keen to join us..?  Will PM you...

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Budster:

Pure blue - we must get together sometime - I went for a morning drive out  Theewatersoof with 2 friends (997.1 and 996 4S) last week with 3 co-driver friends - had a blast..!  All had a drive and it was great to compare notes (everyone very sensible and respectful).  Doing it again soon with a stop off at the motor museum - keen to join us..?  Will PM you...

Sounds good.  I'll look out for that PM.  Smiley

In this site you can see many of the different colors for the 911 under the same lighting conditions and angle, its in spanish but the pictures speak for themselves 

http://blogs.km77.com/teletransporte/7343/porsche-911-colores-para-todos-llanta/

--

PureBlue:
    John H:
    PureBlue:
    John H:

After lamenting the disappointing sound from the GTS's PSE, I've taken the plunge and ordered an aftermarket exhaust specifically designed for the 997.2 Carrera/S/4/4S/GTS by SharkWerks in California.  Effectively replaces the central muffler (silencer) with two straight-through stainless steel pipes, for what should - by all accounts - be a far more satisfying sound.  I've had it approved by the local OPC (so no warranty issues) and they're even doing the fitment for me.  Should be arriving next week.  I'll post up full details, pics and some feedback as soon as it's fitted.

BTW I've also ordered the black stone guards from Porsche Exclusive, which should also be arriving soon.  Hopefully, I can have them fitted at the same time.  Smiley

It seems you'll be having a useful weight-reduction thrown in for free as well! Looking forward to your comments! Smiley

Carlos from Spain:

In this site you can see many of the different colors for the 911 under the same lighting conditions and angle, its in spanish but the pictures speak for themselves 

http://blogs.km77.com/teletransporte/7343/porsche-911-colores-para-todos-llanta/

Nice find Carlos, thanks. Dark Blue Metallic is still my favorite color on a Porsche. 

I like black , ruby red and the blue.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759565 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433714 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259728 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256872 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80586 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5305 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870658 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805654 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM