Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL : Porsche Boxster 981

Sadly if you buy a Cayman or Boxster, you'll always get some arsehole asking you: "can't you afford a 911..?"

I know, I know: he's the arsehole.  But it'll be bloody annoying all the same...

The solution of course, is to have all 3 wonderful vehicles, or at least a pair.  indecision

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

I'll reserve final judgement for when I see it in the flesh but....

... I hate the look of the thing! Too many sticky out bits and stylised doo-dads..... not sure it'll age too well. And looks way too much like a Toyota MR2, with the shape of the lights and the side vents.

Smiley

the car looks amazing specially in black ,cant wait for the cayman .

on a side note why people keep saying this car looks girly and that car looks girlish etc etc ?

i mean what exactly classified a car as girly ?

I see a lot of comments about looking like an MR2

Well the MR2 is a copy of the original Boxster

981 design is just an evolution of 986/7

wtsnet:

... I hate the look of the thing! Too many sticky out bits and stylised doo-dads..... not sure it'll age too well. And looks way too much like a Toyota MR2, with the shape of the lights and the side vents.

Smiley

I actually like it,with the possible exception of the rear spoiler, lthough by far the biggest improvement is in the interior.

It's a real shame, that once again Porsche have chosen to hamstring the car by deliberately restricting the power and performance to keep it slower than the 991 range. Why the 991 couldn't have been given more power in its basic form so that the Boxster / Cayman could have the 345bhp engine completely escapes me.

Pathetic 5bhp increase takes the icing off what would be an otherwise brilliant car.

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

This is sure to be a winner for Porsche.. The Z4 will surely get a kick in the pants when this comes outs..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

wtsnet:

...not sure it'll age too well.

This is one of the few drawbacks I see too. The 987 design was beautiful with softer lines that looked classic and timeless. With the 981 I think Porsche has done a fantastic job of not departing too much from the overall shape of the 987 and adding much more modern and aggressive lines (I'm tempted to also use the word "trendy") that are really going to need a facelift in 3-4 years a lot more than the 987 ever did.

Great thread, fun and honest comments--demonstrating again the real appeal of Rennteam.  Enthusiasts letting their opinions and impressions loose on cyberspace.  In that spirit, here are mine:

1.  Car is knockout exciting, a clever and appealing derivative of the 550 Spyder and Carrera GT styling.  It combines the "roundness and simplicity" of the Spyder (and thus the original lineage of the Speedster, RS 60, even 356) with the side vents, raked windshield, interior and rear spoiler accents of the Carrera GT. The black Boxster pictured could easily be a mini Carrera GT.  The Boxster design also leaves the "purer" and simpler look to the 991 series, thus preserving that model's classic look.  (The rear spoiler of the new Boxster also mimics the new rear spoiler line of the 991, which I find particularly attractive). 

2.  While I understand the notion behind the "some folk's "girly" impression of the Boxster, I do not, nor have ever thought of the Boxster as feminine or girly.  Are the old 356s girly, how about the Spyder, or how about James Dean, or how about the thousands on thousands of men in Porsche clubs in the U.S. and around the world who own and love Boxsters?  To me, the girly comment is more a comment on those who think the Boxster is girly.  That said, I have never wanted to own a Boxster, as it is (or seems to be) a bit small for my sports car needs.  And like Nick, I am a victim of power and want the most powerful Porsche I can afford.  The Boxster may handle better than a 991 around curves, etc., but I like the rush of turbo power and, with age, the room of a Cayenne or Panamera.  Bottom line, the Boxster offers any Porsche buyer the option of a fine, mid-engined sports car--simple as that.  The great strength of Porsche as a brand is that if offers so many options throughout its model range.

Overall, I admire the new design directions under Michael Mauer,  Both traditional and excitingly modern...

Where did they stuff the gauges?

In particular the GAS gauge? the temp, oil pressure

Into the TFT display?

--
    997 GT3 Guards Red

Wonderbar:

2.  While I understand the notion behind the "some folk's "girly" impression of the Boxster, I do not, nor have ever thought of the Boxster as feminine or girly. 

It was wrong on behalf of Porsche to associate the Boxster with the 2001 "Legally Blonde" film.

Bad product placement enlightened

legally-blonde-560-thumb-560xauto-30125.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Good point, Reginos...

reginos:
    Wonderbar:

2.  While I understand the notion behind the "some folk's "girly" impression of the Boxster, I do not, nor have ever thought of the Boxster as feminine or girly. 

It was wrong on behalf of Porsche to associate the Boxster with the 2001 "Legally Blonde" film.

The Boxster has grew up ever since..

--

ONUR

11 E92 M3 CP 

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:
    reginos:
    Wonderbar:

Of course you are right, but it's difficult to get of a reputation.

You can see this preconception even on rennteam that consists of people who know cars.

--

"Form follows function"

Not to go on too much of a tangent here, but I was trying to look up the youtube video of Two and a Half Men where they make fun of Alan's Boxster and the reputation it has as a chick's car and instead, I ended up finding this gem:

Two and a Half Men Season 3 Gag Reel (Bloopers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0gaOWmZ_7Q&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL11BB5EE47AAFCCAE

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

the horizontal surfaces are way more sculpted than the last version. I wonder how much more downforce the 981 has over the 987.

The fenders have those curvilicious female shapes to them, the cellulite like lumps they used to call fenders are gone.Smiley

If the Autobild article is accurate claiming that the 981S can lap the Ring in sub 8 minutes that's as fast or faster than Walter Röhrl in the 997.1 S when it came out. Not girly at all, even if the 981S driver was Reese Witherspoon, holding a Starbucks with her Chihuahua riding shotgun. Smiley Smiley  Smiley

This obsession with labelling cars as "manly" or "unmanly" IMO stems from the fact that some men are insecure about their own sexuality.  Cars are not meant to be penis extensions.  The only thing manly or unmanly about a car is the person behind the steering wheel - so man up and drive what you like, instead of worrying about how other people may or may not perceive your car.  Smiley

PureBlue:

This obsession with labelling cars as "manly" or "unmanly" IMO stems from the fact that some men are insecure about their own sexuality.  Cars are not meant to be penis extensions.  The only thing manly or unmanly about a car is the person behind the steering wheel - so man up and drive what you like, instead of worrying about how other people may or may not perceive your car.  Smiley

Well said

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

PureBlue:

IMO that is unrealistic, gender identification is in everything, I'm willing to bet that if the cellphone model you use was only offered in pink you would not be using that model that you use, same with the watch on your wrist, the briefcase for work, etc and utimately the car you drive as well.

That said, while there are some cars that are clearly intended for the female public, like the beetle cab for example, most models are unisex and makers do not want to limit their target audience like that or alienate half of the prospective buyers, so I don't get this labeling all cars as either masculine OR femine. IMO the Boxster can be very masculine and at the same time very feminie depending on the colors and how its optioned, and also who is driving it. A black/black Boxster with spyder wheels and a guy driving it can be perfectly masculine, and a white Boxster with a burgandy roof top and red interior and a blonde in it can be very feminine. Horsepower figures on the other hand has nothing to do with either IMO.

--

The only thing I want to know is who the hell thought those bulging headlights looked good? It would be an almost perfect design if they were flush with the body instead of popping out. The recess around them needs to be a bit smaller too. And take those gaps out of the lower LED lights. Put on some proper door handles for a car like this, and then the design would be perfect. Oh, and take off all the badges.

But, I like the 987 Spyder best, and ALWAYS anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me. The 997 I also like better than the 991.

wtsnet:

Smiley

+1

reginos:
    pride355:
    reginos:
    Wonderbar:

Of course you are right, but it's difficult to get of a reputation.

You can see this preconception even on rennteam that consists of people who know cars.

And let's not forget the Porsche in Deuce Bigalow - Male Gigolo. For those that haven't seen it I can highly recommend it. And also the second part European Gigolo for those of you in Europe. :)

i046576.jpg

So a gigolo is feminine?

I reckon it is time for Lasse to chime in and teach us a thing or two about the raw manly butchness of the new boxster!
    --

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Just noticed the configurator is up on porsche.co.uk at least if anyone wants to play.. (wasn't yesterday when I looked)
    --

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

And quite a few of the options are cheaper than before,  PASM and PCCB noticably so

--

Gen II Cayman S

Can someone explain to me why the EXACT same option on 981 that also exist on 991 is about 10-20% cheaper for the boxster? For instance if you want to have the 20" carrera s wheels painted in black on the 991 it will cost you about 1400 EUR for the 991 but only 1100 EUR for the boxster. I understand that PSE and other options are cheaper on the boxster than for 911 since it's not the same parts, but painting the wheels should really be no difference since they are exactly the same yes

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

The 911 wheels are wider ;)

Lukas:

Can someone explain to me why the EXACT same option on 981 that also exist on 991 is about 10-20% cheaper for the boxster? For instance if you want to have the 20" carrera s wheels painted in black on the 991 it will cost you about 1400 EUR for the 991 but only 1100 EUR for the boxster. I understand that PSE and other options are cheaper on the boxster than for 911 since it's not the same parts, but painting the wheels should really be no difference since they are exactly the same yes

I noticed that the cost of having the wheels painted doesn't vary according to diameter. For example painting a Boxster 18" wheel costs as much as a 19" or a 20". Therefore, perhaps the cost is averaged out according to the expected demand for each model. In the case of the Boxster most wheels are 18" with fewer 19" and very few 20". Whereas in the case of the 911 most wheels will be 20" (very few basic Carrera are sold and even on those most of the wheels are upgraded to 20").

--

"Form follows function"

Lukas:

Yes, it is called a premium. 

Does anyone here actually think that the 991 is more expensive to build than the 981? Or that the parts are more expensive? Smiley Smiley

No, clearly not. You are paying a premium for a car to fit into a certain market segment. The same applies for all Porsche models (and other manufacturers too obviously). For example, Porsche gets away which asking a higher premium for the Cayman than the Boxster, which is probably the only coupe on the market that is more expensive than it's cabriolet counterpart. Why? Because it has it's own brand (Cayman rather then Boxster Coupe) and 5 measly HP more. It has been engineered, more from a marketing-side than technical-side, to fit a higher segment. It for sure does not cost more to build than the Boxster, I would rather guess the opposite given there is no soft top mechanism.

Most parts are developed and manufactured to fit multiple models and are hence the same across multiple models. Even the engine block is the same. I made some upgrades to my current 987 interior and all original plastic parts were stamped 997 on the back. Go figure.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689929 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409425 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255836 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235069 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65578 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858176 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774288 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM