Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The new Porsche Boxster (Type 981) Thread Closed

I hope you're right man....I just can't wait
    --

If the 981 gets the same wheel-base extension as the 991, maybe I'll be able to drive it smiley

But, that's only if Porsche uses any extra length for cabin leg room.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

dxpetrov:

I don't believe in Geneva for Boxster at all! It's going to be in Detroit 100%! We are already seeing almost undisguised mules on streets which means the introduction is only few days away. Geneva will be Cayman's introduction. Magazines know sh^t, or they are pretending not to know....

In Detroit the 911 Cabrio will be unveiled. Therefore, no Boxster there.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsche/pressreleases/pcgb/?lang=none&pool=international-de&id=2012-01-04

--

"Form follows function"

US Porsche Dealers will have Boxster in June and are planning launch event. So if  Porsche is not introducing  981 in Detroit, looks like it will be in Geneva. Of course Porsche could be using formal announcement of 991 cab intro as a diversion and launch the 981 too.  We'll find out soon enough.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

bobr:

US Porsche Dealers will have Boxster in June and are planning launch event. So if  Porsche is not introducing  981 in Detroit, looks like it will be in Geneva. Of course Porsche could be using formal announcement of 991 cab intro as a diversion and launch the 981 too.  We'll find out soon enough.

That. Smiley

Remember that Porsche always have something special for Detroit - ''the last minute launch''. 911 cab is already ''old news''!

Does anyone really think they would go with double 981 ''Boxster&cayman'' at the same time in Geneva?!! Paris in September would be just too late as they had already stopped with production of both and wouldn't make such long gap.

I'm not sure if it's not a repost, but anyway:

DIMENSIONS
    No coincidence that the new Boxster will have a front designed to be easily distinguished from the Porsche 911. The pace car will increase by 60 mm, a length of 37 mm, the height will decrease by 10 mm and 25 mm front overhang will lose.

The cabin will provide more legroom for the occupants of the two posts, namely the legroom increases by 18 mm.
    The weight decrease, in turn, reaching 15 kg 1,320 kg on the normal version, while the Boxster S will go to 1,340 kg. Other changes that differentiate the new Boxster from the 911 are new light clusters both front and rear, side air outlets, different design of the windows, but the changes will also be mechanical.

NEW ENGINE
    The new major will be the new four-cylinder engine that Porsche is developing in line exclusively for the new Boxster and Cayman.

The new four-cylinder 2.5 has a bore larger than the twin-turbo 2.7 and will be, will be up to 365 hp with maximum torque of 470 Nm will still be available on 2.7, with increased power from 245 hp to 269 and 280 Nm of torque. The Boxster S will pay 3.4 of 319 hp and 360 Nm of torque, compared to 295 bhp at present.

Car shows, however, that the new 2.5 will come in different powers, and then in the future could replace all of the current 2.7.

DEBUT
    The new Porsche Boxster should make its official debut at the upcoming Detroit Auto Show in January 2012.

SOURCE: carsrelease

--

Just got a rumor from my source that 981 launch was planned at upcoming Detroit Motor Show, but for some unknown reason the launch was delayed till Geneva Motor Show. yes

--

BlackOctober:

Just got a rumor from my source that 981 launch was planned at upcoming Detroit Motor Show, but for some unknown reason the launch was delayed till Geneva Motor Show. yes

Smiley

It would be really disappointing not to have the real premier in Detroit. I mean - we already know since September how does it look like, so why not just make it official?!! Smiley

Totally agree with you, and YES - we have seen it already, but we still don't know nothing for SURE about the engines it will get....Perhaps this is the reason of the delay

--

BlackOctober:

DIMENSIONS

The cabin will provide more legroom for the occupants of the two posts, namely the legroom increases by 18 mm.

Well, ... I guess the Boxster and Cayman will remain cars for midgets.

18 mm of legroom increase is but a piffle; not even 3/4 of an inch.   An increase of 80 to 100 mm would be required for my legs to fit.  Smiley

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:

Obviously you're exaggerating... but to be fair, it really is fine for anyone up to about 180m or 6', isnt it?  Are you taller?  If you are, you're probably in the top 10% (unless you're Dutch!), and it's stretching it to call the other 90% of us "midgets"..!

Interestingly, every video clip of Chris Harris shows him sitting extremely close to the steering wheel (so that this shoulders don't roll at all - during even the wildest of manoeuvres).  Rally drivers all sit bolt upright, close in, too.  

Is there a tendency to recline too far in casual, daily driving anyway, and sit too far back? (I'm guilty of it, but I'm only 5"10'...  OK, 5' 9.5"...Smiley)

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Picture of me in 997....As you can see I have plenty of space and I'm 1.80m. There is almost no diffirence (for me) between 997 and Cayman.

DSC_0925.JPG

--

Budster:
    W8MM:

Obviously you're exaggerating... but to be fair, it really is fine for anyone up to about 180m or 6', isnt it?  Are you taller? 

I'm 1,93 m and have long legs compared to others of my height.  Yes, to me, you might be a midget Smiley

--

Mike

BlackOctober:

Picture of me in 997....As you can see I have plenty of space and I'm 1.80m. There is almost no diffirence (for me) between 997 and Cayman.

DSC_0925.JPG

There is so much difference between a 997 and 987 for me that I can't begin to describe it.

I fit fine in a 997 and can only drive a 987 for a few minutes before it becomes too painful from the contortions necessary for me to drive it.

--

Mike

W8MM:
    BlackOctober:

D

Well I'm 5ft 10 ins, (1.78m), not a midget by any yardstick and I'm just fine in Boxster / Cayman. Agreed, if you are over 6ft then it starts to become more restrictive, I'll concur

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

IMO, it's 2 factors: (1) overall height, AND (2) the proportion of one's legs to one's torso.

In my case, I'm 1.90m (about 6' 2") and I have long legs compared to my torso so I find the 911 comfortable but not the Boxster or Cayman. The seats in those 2 cars don't slide back as far as I need and the seat backs don't recline far back enough for my comfort.

WIth a 911, my seat is usually as far as possible from the pedals to give me more legroom and I usually prefer my seat back to be reclining enough so that my wrists reach the steering wheel .... I'm probably guilty of a driving posture that looks lazy but I'm comfortable that way.

The 911 provides a generous space behind the drivers seat to make this possible. I don't usually carry passengers in the rear seat behind me ... apart from tiny kids, anyone wanting to sit there would be seriously uncomfortable behind me.

I enjoy being a passenger in my wife's Z4 because I don't find it has as much legroom either for the same reasons.

We all come in different shapes and sizes :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

W8MM:
    Budster:
    W8MM:

Obviously you're exaggerating... but to be fair, it really is fine for anyone up to about 180m or 6', isnt it?  Are you taller? 

I'm 1,93 m and have long legs compared to others of my height.  Yes, to me, you might be a midget Smiley

If you weren't so far away I'd punch you on the nose.  Except I probably couldn't reach...Smiley

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Budster:
    W8MM:
    Budster:
    W8MM:

If you weren't so far away I'd punch you on the nose.  Except I probably couldn't reach...Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

--

Mike

Back to the topic.  Any news about the Boxster? Any confirmation about debut at Detroit?

--

Just found this little nugget: apparently Porsche is going with turbo-fours for the 981.

Check out this article posted a few hours ago; what do you guys make of it?

rulesdontapply

2013 Porsche Boxster S to Get 360-HP Turbo Four Cylinder

The 2013 Porsche Boxster S is going to look more aggressive with fresh lines a new interior and bigger air scoops, but the real change is going to be how it feels on the road.

New looks are cool, but just wait until you see what the folks over in Stuttgart cooked up this time for the iconic roadster: a turbo cramming 50 extra ponies in for a grand total of 360 hp. What’s even more exciting is the fact that Porsche is doing this without it’s 3.4-liter flat-six. In fact, they’re slicing two cylinders right off in favor of a 2.4-liter flat 4, meaning a faster car that’s more forgiving at the pump.

A less potent version will also make its way into the Cayman and base Boxster models. This is great news for anyone thinking of buying a Boxster, because they know how much fun they are already with 310 ponies pushing past curvy roads. Furthermore, the car will shed some curb weight, meaning that extra power will punch even harder.

The official debut is slated for this year’s Geneva Auto Show, look for more details and pictures to come

BlackOctober:

Not enough women in attendance at the Detroit show.

Sorry, I could not resist.Smiley

--

nberry:
    BlackOctober:

Not enough women in attendance at the Detroit show.

Sorry, I could not resist.Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

rulesdontapply:

Just found this little nugget: apparently Porsche is going with turbo-fours for the 981.

Check out this article posted a few hours ago; what do you guys make of it?

rulesdontapply

2013 Porsche Boxster S to Get 360-HP Turbo Four Cylinder

The 2013 Porsche Boxster S is going to look more aggressive with fresh lines a new interior and bigger air scoops, but the real change is going to be how it feels on the road.

New looks are cool, but just wait until you see what the folks over in Stuttgart cooked up this time for the iconic roadster: a turbo cramming 50 extra ponies in for a grand total of 360 hp. What’s even more exciting is the fact that Porsche is doing this without it’s 3.4-liter flat-six. In fact, they’re slicing two cylinders right off in favor of a 2.4-liter flat 4, meaning a faster car that’s more forgiving at the pump.

A less potent version will also make its way into the Cayman and base Boxster models. This is great news for anyone thinking of buying a Boxster, because they know how much fun they are already with 310 ponies pushing past curvy roads. Furthermore, the car will shed some curb weight, meaning that extra power will punch even harder.

The official debut is slated for this year’s Geneva Auto Show, look for more details and pictures to come

It doesn't make sense that the Boxster S suddenly gets a 4-cyl. 360 turbo engine. There will be a turbo version of the Boxster but I'm not sure it will be the high power version, if you get my point. The Boxster also doesn't need a turbo to get up to 360 hp... 

As to loosing some weight, don't expect wonders. I know that Porsche tried to make the Boxster more attractive but don't expect something better than the 911. Handling will be great though, there have been substantial improvements.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Can't believe this sh*t!!!!??? No Boxster unveiling in Detroit!!!! Very disappointed indeed!

dxpetrov:

Can't believe this sh*t!!!!??? No Boxster unveiling in Detroit!!!! Very disappointed indeed!

Yes, definitely would have made the week more fun to have the new Boxster, looks like Porsche wants to keep the spotlight on the 991 a bit longer.

dxpetrov:

I know how you feel, I was riding high on the hopes of seeing the 981 in Detroit [being a 987S owner now]. It would have made more sense to see it here anyway seeing that the first Boxster concept was unveiled in Detroit in 1993... But at least the Geneva Motor Show is just under two months away, and I just booked my tickets for it. Smiley

I at least hope that Porsche will unveil the car online in the next few days so we can tinker with the specs, imagery and PDF brochures before seeing the car in the flesh, similar to the 991's online unveiling before the 2011 IAA.

Come on, Porsche!

rulesdontapply

Unveiling in Geneva, production as from June.

2.7lt  270HP and 3.2lt 325HP, both flat 6.

125mm longer wheelbase 15mm wider tracks. Electric steering. Aluminium body structure similar to 991

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks Reginos. I hope your info regarding the 6 cyl motors is correct. I would be disappointed if the only option for the higher performance engine was a 4 cyl turbo.

KMM:

Thanks Reginos. I hope your info regarding the 6 cyl motors is correct. I would be disappointed if the only option for the higher performance engine was a 4 cyl turbo.

I think they will keep the 6C even if they subsequently introduce a 4C model.

--

"Form follows function"

They will probably replace the lower 2.7l 6C, if anything.

I really love Porsche for keeping NA engines alive albeit the global trend in FI, which hasn't brought us to less consumption as initially thought.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803830 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448693 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266294 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90150 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6720 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886011 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834032 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM