Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Which new car should RC get: Cayenne or Panamera?!!

What a car, geez! I have a black/grey/carbon interior in my CTS and have loved it for three years now. A good choice. But only because I am looking for a possible change, I like expresso natural leather. I think it will look great with carbon as well, as it will pick up on some of the bronze tones of the carbon. The aluminum accents elsewhere in the standard interior will brighten up the dark look also.

Consider keeping the rear spoiler in black--it extends the rear window outline and reduces the space over the rear deck, and will complement the gloss black trim you have selected. Finally I am a huge fan of illuminated door sills.

Go, Go, Go!

Wonderbar:
    What a car, geez! I have a black/grey/carbon interior in my CTS and have loved it for three years now. A good choice. But only because I am looking for a possible change, I like expresso natural leather. I think it will look great with carbon as well, as it will pick up on some of the bronze tones of the carbon. The aluminum accents elsewhere in the standard interior will brighten up the dark look also.

Consider keeping the rear spoiler in black--it extends the rear window outline and reduces the space over the rear deck, and will complement the gloss black trim you have selected. Finally I am a huge fan of illuminated door sills.

Go, Go, Go!

I chose the black rear wing, I was thinking the same.

I'm not sure how well espresso natural leather looks with Agate Grey, it (the leather) has a slightly reddish brown tone.

Wife and kids also want a lighter leather color, so grey is just fine (I guess). I'm not a friend of grey but with the black bi-color setup and the carbon, it should look OK. Hopefully. I may change the interior color in the last minute but the exterior color is FINAL. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Hi RC,

Do you really need ceramic brakes on a Panamera? Aren't PCCB, mainly a track related equipment? And at 9.000 Euro they cost as much as a small car! Porsche steel brakes are perfect anyway.

Their yellow calipers also don't match very well, aesthetically IMO.

Perhaps, you could ask the Porsche Exclusive Dept. to have them painted in a different colour (if you think they are essential equipment) Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos, imo PCCB's are quite the opposite, i.e. autobahn-related equipment -slowing down repeatedly from high speed- rather than track-related equipment where the huge cost of replacing ceramic discs is a huge letdown.

On track you'll notice most PCCB-equipped Porsches have steel replacement rotors. wink

reginos:

Hi RC,

Do you really need ceramic brakes on a Panamera? Aren't PCCB, mainly a track related equipment? And at 9.000 Euro they cost as much as a small car! Porsche steel brakes are perfect anyway.

Perhaps, you could ask the Porsche Exclusive Dept. to have them painted in a different colour (if you think they are essential equipment) Smiley

Painted calipers aren't available anymore from Exclusive, I already asked.

I think the yellow calipers match pretty well with the black rims and agate grey color of the car.

PCCB is amazing when it comes to driving fast, especially on a heavy car like the Panamera. It allows a very precise breaking feel/point, I love PCCB and had it on my 997 Turbo and now on my 997 Carrera GTS. For track racing, I would order the steel brake because of cost. While the PCCB may be almost indestructible on the street, it wears off (discs) pretty fast on the track and this can be very expensive.

Oh, did I mention that no matter what options I choose, the lease cost remains almost the same ? 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Porker:

reginos, imo PCCB's are quite the opposite, i.e. autobahn-related equipment -slowing down repeatedly from high speed- rather than track-related equipment where the huge cost of replacing ceramic discs is a huge letdown.

On track you'll notice most PCCB-equipped Porsches have steel replacement rotors. wink

Thank you for this piece of information!

Porsche steel brakes are so good that in road use I don't think they would fade easily. An important  benefit of PCCB is that they reduce unsprung weight (weight outside the suspension) significantly which would be more relevant on a 911 sportscar rather than on a heavy sports limousine. I've only driven a Cayman S with PCCB. They had very good pedal feel but I wouldn't pay the huge cost.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    reginos:

Hi RC,

Painted calipers aren't available anymore from Exclusive, I already asked.

I think the yellow calipers match pretty well with the black rims and agate grey color of the car.

PCCB is amazing when it comes to driving fast, especially on a heavy car like the Panamera. It allows a very precise breaking feel/point, I love PCCB and had it on my 997 Turbo and now on my 997 Carrera GTS. For track racing, I would order the steel brake because of cost. While the PCCB may be almost indestructible on the street, it wears off (discs) pretty fast on the track and this can be very expensive.

Fair enough Smiley

Oh, did I mention that no matter what options I choose, the lease cost remains almost the same ? 

How do you get these super deals? Your experience at the diplomatic corps, probably Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Well, the deal is very good because I keep the car 4 years and because my dealer had a Panamera June production slot open he badly wanted to fill.   It may also have to do with Rennteam and my past Porsche orders but mainly because the dealer wanted the deal. I guess... yes

--

RC:

You did it, guys...congratulations. indecision

I changed the exterior color to Agate Grey Met. + black painted wheels and the interior color to bi-color black/grey (nice contrast with carbon).

pantsf.jpg

I'm ready to order this one...what do you guys think ? devil

--

Perfect exterior colour and wheels for me, only thing I'd change would be the interior (Espresso) and the Sport Design package, I think it makes  the car look younger and more dynamic.

The Sport Design package makes the car look more massive, I saw it in person on a silver Panamera.

Espresso is too dark, wife and kids want something light and grey-black combo would be the compromise.

I have another problem now: My son doesn't like Agate Grey...it looks "old" to him, he told me that black is much cooler. Oh boy...and I thought my decision is going to be easy and final. He is right though, after comparing Agate Grey to Black, I have to say that Agate is more elegant in a way, even if it looks more technical too than Black.

--

I think this is the best color  Christian, go for it! its still discrete as black but more original and fits the Panamera nicely with the black wheels. Though I would change the interior to the elegant Expresso, I do not like grey interiors in any car personally, and I feel you may get bored of it quickly.

--

I may return back to my initial combo...black exterior with black wheels and black interior with carbon. My son hates Agate Grey and while he is the nicest and non-pretentious kid I know, in this matter, he seems to put all his heart and anger in it, I've never seen him that upset. He is only 8. I guess he still misses the 997 Turbo, he only agreed on the 997 Carrera GTS Cab if I order it in black and with PCCB...same combo like my former 997 Turbo.

Don't laugh...if the kids don't like a car, they can make your life very miserable by complaining all the time. Example: My 11 year old daughter hates to drive in the X5M but she loves driving in the Mini Countryman. Oh boy.

Kids... yes

--

So let's get this straight: your 8 years old kid doesn't like the agate grey and thinks it's too classy?!!!! Smiley

Oh man, you're in trouble!!!!! Smiley

RC:

I may return back to my initial combo...black exterior with black wheels and black interior with carbon. My son hates Agate Grey and while he is the nicest and non-pretentious kid I know, in this matter, he seems to put all his heart and anger in it, I've never seen him that upset. He is only 8. I guess he still misses the 997 Turbo, he only agreed on the 997 Carrera GTS Cab if I order it in black and with PCCB...same combo like my former 997 Turbo.

Oh, oh.. I will like to see the look your wife is going to give you when you tell her that you are going to change the color once again  Smiley

--

dxpetrov:

So let's get this straight: your 8 years old kid doesn't like the agate grey and thinks it's too classy?!!!! Smiley

Oh man, you're in trouble!!!!! Smiley

You bet I am. Smiley Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

Oh, oh.. I will like to see the look your wife is going to give you when you tell her that you are going to change the color once again  Smiley

When I mentioned it to her, she got all over me...like "he is an 8 year old kid, what does he know..." but truth is, my 8 year old son is much more into cars than she is. Smiley

Smiley

Maybe I just get white with black rims and be done with it. Smiley

--

RC:

When I mentioned it to her, she got all over me...like "he is an 8 year old kid, what does he know..." but truth is, my 8 year old son is much more into cars than she is. Smiley

I can't be the only one on here who is flabbergasted that you are actually making buying decisions of this magnitude (in terms of $$$$$$) whilst seriously taking "advice" from an 8 year old and an 11 year old Smiley

Sounds like your wife is more in touch with my sort of reality than you are - yes we all love and respect our kids but at 8 and 11 they are still just young kids thankfully and IMO should possibly not even be "burdened" with this sort of purchase decision......just IMO Smiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

Short question: Do you have kids ? Have you ever driven 400 km with the kids nagging you all the time that they can't breathe, that the car smells funny, that the air in the rear is not good, that the car sounds weird, that they get car sick in this car... You'd be amazed what my kids, especially my daughter, did in the X5M. One reason why my wife drives with the kids most of the time in the Mini Countryman.

Kids are kids, they have their own craziness sometimes. I don't care too much about what my daughter says and the only reason I asked my wife is because I wanted to have a peace of mind but my son is really important to me because he drives with me in the car very often and I don't need any nagging from him.

Last but not least, my heart isn't really fully attached to the Cayenne or Panamera, I have said this many times before, so this isn't really a big deal for me, to take into account what the kids want or like. If I would buy a GT3/GT2 RS or a 997 Turbo S, I wouldn't have asked or told them anything. The Cayenne or Panamera in this case, is a family car. So the family should be involved. Of course I have to like it too but I'm willing to compromise on color and options. I wouldn't compromise on the engine for example and thanks god, my wife loves fast cars too (but only if I drive them ).

Since I'm going to be "stuck" with this car for the next 4 years, I try to make it as pleasant of an owning experience as possible.

Right now I'm kind of back to square one...black exterior. mail

I have another 10 days until I need to put the signature under the lease contract, so who knows...maybe I get a pink Panamera with blue painted rims.

--

My vote has been for black/black/black since the beginning so I'm in your 8 year old sons camp smiley. I would personally go for the black interiour, but if not I would probably take a look at the cognac natural leather to put another option into the already difficult equation angry

I know that you normally de-badge your cars but I would personally paint it in the colour of the car instead of removing the model designation. Looks cool and not so "empty". That would go very well with headlight washers painted black, black headlights and black window-liner.

Take a look at these images with a black/black with model logo painted in black and with espresso interiour. Quite nice!

pac466922122011221653_4.jpg

pac754903112011210420_5.jpgpac754903112011210420_3.jpg

pac314109122011001726_5.jpgpac466922122011221653_3.jpg

The sport design pack also looks the business on a black car... agree that it doesn't look as good on agate grey......

pac557223102011200959_4.jpg

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

one more...

this is proably basalt black also.. would prefer that over black. But maybe i'm biased since i'v ordered my 991 in basalt indecision

pac258629082011132405_1.jpg

--

Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

This would probably be my final wheel choice on a basalt black PTS... Turbo II wheels painted in black kiss

pac170326112011154022_10.jpg

--

I swear I am changing my mind each time I see a new post or suggestion!

If I had to decide right now I would go for white/black/carbon/yellow stiching/black painted rims. You are not the only crazy one! Ain't life grand?

My vote would be the black (gloss) with espresso interior as shown in the pics above with sport design kit.  It looks the business.  Espresso with black is a great combo and a bit unusual.

Wonderbar:

Me too!

I was a black/black fan all along until i saw the agate/black, and the espresso interior, which I never liked, has suddenly grabbed me.  I think grey interiors look like Toyotas - it's an artificial leather colour to me: I've seen black cows, brown cows, and tan cows.  I've never seen a grey cow.Smiley

Its great to treat kids as young adults and listen to what they have to say, but in this case, give him an ice cream and a DVD and tell him that grey is the new black.  

Oh, and you can of course remind him that grey cars are scientifically proven to be 5% faster than black cars due to the product of the coefficient of colour tone and the integrated reverse polarisation of shade density. Smiley

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

@Budster: "I've never seen a grey cow' ... I love it ... had me laughing out loud :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Wonderbar:

If I had to decide right now I would go for white/black/carbon/yellow stiching/black painted rims. You are not the only crazy one! Ain't life grand?

You can't even imagine what I'm going through now...I was 100% certain I found the perfect combo (Agate Grey/grey/black) and now I am back to square one again. Smiley

I wish however that all my life problems would be that important (not), it would make my life much easier. Smiley

--

Lukas:

This would probably be my final wheel choice on a basalt black PTS... Turbo II wheels painted in black kiss

pac170326112011154022_10.jpg

These  wheels in black don't appear on the configurator. They must have been painted aftermarket.

--

"Form follows function"

Yes, after market paint, I had the same on my 997 Turbo. 

--

More interior color (with black exterior) color variations:

pintmarcr.png

Marsala/crema

pintluxbeige.png

Luxor/beige

pintcogzed.png

Cognac/zed.

pintblackcrem.png

Black/crema

pintcognac.png

Cognac

pintespress.png

Espresso

--

Extreme exterior colors (not my cup of tea...)

panabronze.png

panabeige.png

panagreen.png

panared.png

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782126 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442913 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263523 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261960 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86021 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6033 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881700 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819858 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM