Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Panamera - best selling car of it's class in Germany ?

I remember we saw a similar house somewhere in a gated community and when asking about it, our friend told us that this is one of the first modern architecture houses there, built in the 1930s(!). Of course it looked slightly different, especially the windows but the style was very similar.

I know what Art Deco is...I'm in Miami at least once a year for the past 25 years or so. 

I just assumed that this house is maybe some sort of "relative" of the Art Deco style.

Check out the Savoy hotel in Miami for example...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I'm no expert, but this should be influenced by the Bauhaus era. If you google for Bauhaus under pictures, you will find a lot of similar houses.

This was designed by Le Corbusier in 1929. Very similar style.

I'm no expert either, this is why I asked. I think we have at least two architecture "experts" in the forum, so maybe they can shed some light into it. I like this simple design a lot...our dorm, bath and even the kitchen to some point, are in the very same spirit. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

This is all correct and in line with my statement. The Savoy hotel indeed features a symmetry in its facade (which in itself has always been relevant in architecture) but the striking elements are the ornamental decoration, the steel accents or the stepped layout of the building itself. The projecture (if this is the right word) of the front facade has no aesthetical relation to the windows, as well as the front is not visually linked to the side facades. The building lives from those decorative elements, not the proportions of the entire building or of details in relation to each other.

Both styles, Art Deco as well as Modern Architecture, have their origins in the industrial revolution and subsequent production of objects and components in a mechanical process. They have also developed at similar decades. The striking difference though is that the former uses ornamentation as an essential yet basically superfluous styling element which has no historical relevance in the building´s context. Traces of Art Deco can basically seen in the US car styling of the 50s and 60s.

Modern Architecture on the other hand bases the layout on production feasibility, ornamentation is not only more difficult to achieve during production but also unnecessary as a aesthetically element. There is a huge portion of rationale involved, the attractiveness is achieved by balancing the proportions of the entire object and especially window openings as well as their detailed elaboration and is devoid of any ornamental decoration. Materials are usually reduced to plastered walls, (painted) steel and glass. So the building you mention can very well be one of the first examples of modern architecture, especially since these ideas spread rapidly due to the impact of the Bauhaus and the emigration of students and teachers under the Nazi regime. Walter Gropius, the founder of the Bauhaus, for example moved to the US at the end of the 1930s.

There are of course endless variations and evolutions of these definitions to be seen in Florida but I guess the local residents on the forum are far better informed about the architectural history in this State than me. 

wink

The above example of Modern Architecture actually leaves some open questions, whether this symmetrical structure, the  interior concept or the exterior layout follow an architectural pattern or are primarily intended to be visually pleasing.

By the way, the front fence does not harmonize with the building at all.

fritz:
    RC:

Isn't this a typical design from the Miami area? I think from sometimes in the 1930s but I don't remember how it is called. There is a pretty famous first house in this design in Miami. No, not art-deco.  Or maybe? yes

You are thinking of art deco in connection with Miami and particularly the Miami Beach shorefront hotels, but that office building is not art deco style. I think that style would have been called contemporary (in the UK, for instance) back in the 1960s or 70s, when it was .... um.... contemporary. 

It looks deserted and the front yard needs weeding. 

--

fritz

Smiley That's the feeling I got from it too!

RC:

I know what Art Deco is...I'm in Miami at least once a year for the past 25 years or so

I just assumed that this house is maybe some sort of "relative" of the Art Deco style.

I was surprised that you asked about the art deco style, because I naturally know that you are frequently in Miami. 

In fact, you and I may easily have passed on the street there last year without realising it  Smiley .............PB010009.JPG

--

fritz

If you were there on Nov 1st 2011...I was there too. 

We are always in Miami for Halloween (kids just love it...).

2012? indecision

--

RC:

If you were there on Nov 1st 2011...I was there too. 

We are always in Miami for Halloween (kids just love it...).

2012? indecision

I read here a couple of days later that you had also been in Miami at the same time. I was down in the Keys by then. 

Don't know if I'll be back there this year, apart maybe from flying into and out of there again. Memories of last year's visit to Miami Beach were not all happy, since I spent several days itching and scratching after staying a couple of nights in  one of Donald Trump's hotels there. Smiley  I'd thought the bed-bug infestation was contained in the North Eastern states, and had been cleared up by then anyway?   Smiley

As you may remember, I like to spend my time watching the sunsets on the Gulf Coast with all the wrinklies.  Smiley

--

fritz

We love Miami and the kids too. A lot of stuff to do and to see and the beaches are wonderful.

Sorry to hear about the bed bugs, it happens very often.

Check out this site before your next trip, maybe it helps:   http://www.raveable.com/bed-bugs-in-hotels

--

This could be of some interest to the experts as it it is in the line of the Modern architecture. This is the house I live in, built in 1961, by some famous architect . The roof was supposed to be flat, but did not pass the regulation laws of the village , stating that flat roofs were not allowed.

EMakC.png

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

The house is certainly in Bauhaus style, very well could be from 1930s indeed. I love it too. "A house is a machine for living" Some call this style cold, but it was very well thought through and corresponds to an era seeking simplicity and elegance.

Atzporsche:

"A house is a machine for living"

..and the best machines are those that tug at the heart strings, no?Smiley

This 1974 Mercedes 450SEL has been in my family since my father bought it in 1974.  It has 27,000 miles on it and is in mint, original condition.  It can be a pain in the ass to keep it running and serviced, and it pulls both on my purse strings and heart strings.

It is remarkable at how small and low the car is compared to modern cars.  But its shape is clean, taut and still very attractive.  I always get compliments on it from other drivers on the road, and I think it is because it presents a non-threatening, classic appearance....1335448570573mercedes.jpg

Speaking of the Panamera Turbo S: My car gets a build date soon, it should be earlier than expected (mid May instead of May 30th). With some luck, the car could be at my dealer end of May. Unfortunately I won't be able to pick it up before June 8th, this is currently my pickup date, if nothing goes wrong. 

--

You are lucky. Today I visited my Porsche dealer to check out If a car for my taste would be available in maybe 3 months.
    He told me that ALL Panamera Turbo S get locked for orders in 2012. And no concrete end of this "embargo" is scheduled :-(
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Conny997:
    You are lucky. Today I visited my Porsche dealer to check out If a car for my taste would be available in maybe 3 months.
    He told me that ALL Panamera Turbo S get locked for orders in 2012. And no concrete end of this "embargo" is scheduled :-(

I know but it doesn't have anything to do with luck. Smiley Unfortunately. Long story (I will PM you this weekend) but I get mine on June 8th. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689513 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409199 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255721 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65522 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857947 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773998 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM