Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Chris Harris joins PistonHeads and launches DRIVE on YouTube...

CHRIS HARRIS JOINS PISTONHEADS

Yes, Monkey is joining our team - PH tyre budget adjusted accordingly...

(9 December 2011)

Exciting news - PistonHeads has a new recruit. And it's someone you may have heard of. As of 1st January 2012 Chris Harris is joining us as a full-time member of the team.

Passionate and opinionated are two things Chris does like nobody else. Thankfully he's passionate and opinionated about the things we all love. Need proof? Well, while he's famously pumping his life savings into running a 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (tyre bills alone are epic), he's equally fired up for his Citroen AX GT. And you'll hear him talking about both with equal enthusiasm over the coming months on PH.

Chris's ability to get to the heart of a car and articulate its strengths, weaknesses and context with utter clarity and sincerity are legendary. More importantly than that, he can do oversteer really well. And, let's face it, we can all get behind that.

He'll also be using his expertise/affliction as a serial car geek and buyer to talk about the beating heart of PH - the classifieds. In his years as an Autocar road tester Harris was there at the launch of many of the cars now being bought, sold and lusted after in our classifieds. And that expertise means he's perfectly placed to identify the heroes and zeroes of the used market and celebrate the cars we as PHers all hold close to our hearts.

Chris is also rightly famous for his videos, and you'll be seeing those on PistonHeads too. Exciting times indeed. Over to you Chris.

"I'm typing this on my iPhone from the back row of my kid's nativity play. People are not impressed."

"Don't know whether to be honoured, terrified or excited - maybe a mixture of the three would be appropriate? PH is the biggest enthusiast community in Europe and it's rapidly becoming a must-visit venue for anyone into the subject of cars. It's a community I can't wait to entertain: I'm looking forward to it all: winding-out lumps of unobtanium and debating the finer points of ratty Jag XJ40s. Mine is a broader church than perhaps I've had the chance to demonstrate recently."

"Most of all, I want to have fun."

"And please, go easy on me - for the first few weeks at least."

So join us in extending a warm welcome to our new recruit. Chris - welcome aboard!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Re: Chris Harris joins PistonHeads and launches DRIVE on YouTube...

DRIVE on YouTube Set to Launch 2 January 2012

Press Release: 14 December 2011

New York, NY and London, England — DRIVE, the new YouTube original channel that celebrates the culture of cars announces a launch date of January 2, 2012. DRIVE takes our audience on the road, to the races, to the factories, to the studios — and to other places car lovers have always wanted to go, but never had the chance.

Focused on telling real stories of communities around cars, trucks, and all sorts of things that go, DRIVE enlists a wide range new-media talent including hack motoring journalist Chris Harris, Matt Farah from SPEED's The Car Show, transcontinental speed record holder Alex Roy, Mike Spinelli and Ray Wert of Jalopnik, Leo Parente from Fast Lane Daily's SHAKEDOWN, and professional motorcycle crash test dummy Wes Siler and automotive gadfly and raconteur Jon Alain Guzik.

Watch DRIVE starting in January to activate your passion in the world of cars, performance, racing — and even plain ol' commuting — that surrounds you. Cars may be something you need, but drive with us and you'll never look at them the same way again.

DRIVE with Chris Harris -- Launching January 2012 -- YouTube video link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Shut up and DRIVE this January

(14 December 2011)

There's a new car channel coming to YouTube that'll finally provide auto enthusiasts with the one-stop shop for the best motoring videos that they've always wanted.

Yup. All the reviews, all the news, all the culture, all the everything — and brought to you by some of the best names in the industry. It's called DRIVE, and it's coming in January. And not only will we be a part of it — we're at the center of it. More on that later. For the moment — just watch the promo above...

-- Article by Ray Wert, Jalopnik

Smiley SmileySmiley

The Smoking Tire Has a New Show on YouTube’s DRIVE Channel

Some of you might have seen that YouTube is developing a new channel called DRIVE. You can read the official press release, but the short of it is it will be a one-stop shop for every kind of automotive content you could want: reviews, comparisons, after market shops, race coverage and interviews. Guess they noticed what people like you and me looked for online (well, not everything). Their goal is to provide a variety of the best automotive content possible.  And, being the nice, smart and generous people they are, they asked the TST team to produce a show called “TUNED” with Matt doubling as the host. With other hosts like Chris Harris (EVO), high-speed god Alex Roy and our own Matt, it should be very good.

As the name “TUNED” implies, we will be focusing on modified vehicles. I say vehicles because we won’t be focusing only on the latest chip for an Evo or a Corvette with long-tube headers and some dope-rad-awesome-sicknassity HREs. We’re going outside the box to find the craziest things we can. One-offs, projects, the kinds of vehicles that say “suck it” to physics and solar panels alike.  You know those videos you see that make you think “What the **** is that?!” That’s what we want to be filming. We have some seriously amazing stuff in the works and you’ll get an up-close look at it.

But the show won’t just be an excited and/or terrified Matt behind the wheel (although there will be plenty of that). We’re going to talk to the great minds behind the insanity. We want to know where the inspiration for these monsters of the road and dirt come from, and the expertise and problems it took to make them. Look for the first episode of “TUNED” in January. Hopefully you have as much fun watching it as we will making it. Happy New Year.

Smiley SmileySmiley

Unfortunately these two announcements also mean that Chris Harris will be leaving evo magazine...

...I wonder who posted that parody video?

Smiley

Looking forward to some great video reviews by Chris Harris for PistonHeads and DRIVE in 2012...

...do you remember Project Kermit with Tuthill Porsche?

Chris Harris -- Twitter link

Smiley SmileySmiley

PH'ER PRESENTS YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Our very own Chris Harris will be at the heart of an all-new DRIVE channel on YouTube...

(16 December 2011)

We're all very excited about Chris Harris joining PistonHeads, not least because he'll be bringing his legendary video presentation skills with him.

He'll be doing this via a new Drive channel on YouTube which kicks off in the new year. Harris joins a crack team of presenters and journalists and puts a very PistonHeads voice at the heart of the global online video network.

Our man Harris will put PH on YouTubeYou'll be able to watch Harris's videos here on PistonHeads of course. But he'll also be writing about them too, putting a uniquely PH twist on the car in question and, of course, letting us all talk about it here afterwards. And therefore avoid getting sucked into the typically moronic you guys suck / no you guys SUCK YouTube comment threads. We're strictly high-brow here of course.

To promote the new channel YouTube has come up with a short teaser video, which features a cameo not only from our man Harris but also a clip of a familiar looking (and very sideways) white 911 GT3 RS 4.0, filmed last week at Millbrook where PH and Harris were out playing with Unimogs. More on this in due course and we look forward to seeing Chris's videos here on the site in the new year...

Smiley SmileySmiley

The launch of DRIVE seems to be picking up coverage in the US...

DRIVE channel to launch on YouTue -- Fast Lane Daily

Smiley SmileySmiley

Chris Harris video reprise...

Porsche 997.2 PDK -- First Drive

Porsche 997 GT2 lap of Nordschleife

Nissan GTR lap of Nordschleife

Porsche 997 GT2 vs Nissan GTR comparison around the Nordschleife

Driving Techniques: Power Oversteer

2009 Porsche Carrera Cup -- First Drive

Porsche 997.2 GT3 -- First Drive

...thanks and all due respect to Chris Harris!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Chris Harris video reprise... (Autocar)

Chris on Camera: "Introduction" (2007)

Autocar_Chris-on-Camera_Intro_Link-Image.jpg

Chris on Camera: "Left Foot Braking"

Chris on Camera: "Light Car Company Rocket"

Chris on Camera: "Formula Ford"

Chris on Camera: "Chris Harris drives an F1 car - part 1"

Chris on Camera: "Chris Harris drives an F1 car - part 2"

Chris on Camera: "Chris Harris drives an F1 car - part 3"

Chris on Camera: "Nissan GT-R vs Porsche 997 GT3 vs BMW M3 - part 1"

Chris on Camera: "Nissan GT-R vs Porsche 997 GT3 vs BMW M3 - part 2"

Chris on Camera: "Porsche 997 GT2"

Chris on Camera: "Porsche 997 GT2 vs Corvette Z06"

Chris on Camera: "Porsche 9FF GT9"

Chris Harris -- Twitter link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Chris Harris video reprise... (Autocar)

Chris on Camera: "Silverstone 24 Hours 2007"

Chris on Camera: "Aston Martin DBS"

Chris on Camera: "Audi RS6"

Chris on Camera: "Lotus Elise SC"

Chris on Camera: "Morgan Aero 8"

Chris on Camera: "BMW M3 - part 1"

Chris on Camera: "BMW M3 - part 2"

Chris on Camera: "Ford Focus WRC06"

Chris on Camera: "Ferrari 430 Scuderia"

Chris on Camera: "Bugatti Veyron vs Porsche 997 GT3 RS vs Audi R8 vs Gallardo vs DB9"

Chris on Camera: "How fast will a Bugatti Veyron go?"

Chris on Camera: "Porsche RS Spyder"

...thanks to Chris Harris for the videos!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Guess it fits in here:

Smiley

Thanks Ferdie! Smiley That reminded me of another great video from the Nurburgring...

"A DAY AT THE RACES" -- a film for Chris Harris

A film for EVO journalist and racing driver Chris "Monkey" Harris and his Porsche team. We produced it on the race day of the season´s final 2010. It was a lot of fun to accompany the team on its way towards the chequered flag on the Nürburgring Nordschleife...

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Camera Crew: Nick Hahne, Tim Hahne
    Film Editor: Tim Hahne
    Production: StereoScreen

Smiley SmileySmiley

Thanks as well! kiss

Chris Harris drives the Lexus LFA...

Video 1: Lexus LFA driven on UK roads

Video 2: Lexus LFA around the Nurburgring

...thanks to evo and Chris Harris!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Thanks a lot BCGTS, good to see some of those again. What a journalistic talent he is...

I'm kind of sad to see him leave my favourite magazine, he will leave a huge hole to be filled. On the other hand, if this means, we'll see more of him on camera, I can only support his decision. wink

DRIVE Launch Video: "The 24 Hours of Nürburgring Experience..."

(Uploaded by DRIVE on 1 January 2012)

"Shakedown host Leo Parente looks at the 2011 24 Hours of Nürburgring. This is what really happens at one of the world's most grueling and epic sportscar endurance race..."

24 Hours of Nürburgring Experience -- DRIVE TV -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

thanks for sharing this wink

--

Thanks a lot for sharing, can't wait for more Drive publications!

Chris Harris video reprise... (evo magazine)

Evo TV: "Ferrari 458 Italia - Verdict" (2009)

Evo TV: "Ferrari 458 Italia - On Track" (2009)

Evo TV: "Porsche 911 GT3 RS" (2009)

Smiley SmileySmiley

Chris Harris video reprise... (evo magazine)

Evo TV: "Ferrari 599 GTO road review" (2010)

Evo TV: "Ferrari 599 GTO on the track - part 1" (2010)

Evo TV: "Ferrari 599 GTO on the track - part 2" (2010)

Evo TV: "Ferrari 599 GTO on the track - part 3" (2010)

Evo TV: "Audi R8 LMS" (2010)

Evo TV: "Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0" (2011)

Evo TV: "BMW 1M Coupe vs Porsche Cayman R" (2011)

Evo TV: "Ferrari F40 vs Porsche GT2 RS vs Noble M600 vs Jaguar XJ220" (2011)

Evo TV: "McLaren MP4-12C" (2011)

Evo TV: "BMW M5" (2011)

Evo TV: "2012 Nissan GTR" (2011)

Evo TV: "Porsche 991 Carrera S" (2011)

...thanks to Chris Harris!

Smiley SmileySmiley

First Chris Harris-video for PH, driving a C63 on space savers. Smiley

http://pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=24995

Drive TV: The Mercedes C63 AMG Experiment - Chris Harris ON CARS

"Mercedes 480bhp C63 AMG coupe, with optional power upgrade, already has more than enough power to trouble its rear tyres. What happens when you remove some of that grip? Good things, that's what."

Drive TV - The Mercedes C63 AMG Experiment - Chris Harris ON CARS - Video Link

...thanks to Chris Harris and to Porker for the PH linkSmiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

very good conclusion - and very true.....modern car's limits are so high that most people having fun means yr way over yr country's speed-limits 

Just viewed some of their videos. What's the deal with Michelle Rahal? Not sure I will enjoy his postings. 

Not impressed with their launch. Hope Chris made the right decision to go there?

One way to have fun without fitting 125mm section tires is to keep your snow tires as spring comes around. You don't want to ruin a fresh set of snow tires, but if the set is on its last season, I keep it on for an extended period and enjoy the lower limits. I remember one season in the 90's, when I kept a set of Pirelli snow tires on a 944S into the summer. Great fun kicking the tail out on demand (the car had a limited slip differential...)

I enjoy his style of journalism, but it concerns me he can't seem to settle down for more than 5 minutes.  I hope he doesn't disappear into obscurity with appointments which appear to be getting less exciting and more of anyone that will have him....[concerned]

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

I keep thinking it might be something to do with that GT3 4.0 he bought.  People deeply on debt tend to make short term  cash now decisions.

Unfair speculation I know, but he started it himself with an article explaining how he couldn't afford it...

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

To put the topic into context, this is how Evo magazine's editor reported Chris Harris' move...

Nick Trott, Evo magazine, Editor

"In other new, after a couple of years with us, Chris Harris has flown the evo nest. He's off to produce video content for YouTube -- a remarkable opportunity that sadly does not dovetail with the demands of being a key writer on a monthly motoring title. His voice will also be heard on PistonHeads and, while it was tempting to write a eulogy, I don't sense the end of the evo / Chris Harris relationship..."

evo-logo-small.gif

Based on Chris Harris' first video for the YouTube DRIVE channel ("Mercedes C63 AMG Experiment") it seems to be picking up some impressive viewing figures...

YouTube-DRIVE_Chris-Harris_Launch-Video.jpg

...as of 16 January 2012 (i.e. 5 days after uploading) the C63 AMG Experiment has 175,517 video views and counting...

Looking forward to hear how Chris got on with these two classic homologation rally cars...

"Good day at the office." -- Chris Harris (12 January 2012)

Smiley SmileySmiley

"McLaren F1 GTR: A Ride to Remember" video by Chris Harris for DRIVE TV...

"600bhp, 1100kg: The F1 GTR is a Le Mans racer with street tires. It is also the best sounding car ever made. I got the chance to ride shotgun. Ever wondered what fear looks like? You now have the answer..."

McLaren F1 GTR -- Chris Harris video -- DRIVE TV -- HD video link

...thanks and all due credit to Chris Harris!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764837 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436834 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261198 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258085 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82709 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877162 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809317 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM