Crown

Forum - Thread

Porsche 991 Carrera S - Review (Short)

Porsche 991 Carrera S - Review

First impression (design and interior)

Here it is, the new 991 Carrera S PDK.

On a first look, it doesn't seem to look much different than the previous 911 generation, the 997, especially not if you look at it from the front. Even the side line seems to be unchanged, only the larger front brake discs fill up the rims more nicely.

As soon as you look at the back part, things are completely different though. I actually liked the 991 back lights much better on photos, in real life they look a little bit weird and why shouldn't I say it...Audi-like. The new design however seems to suit the 991 pretty well, everything from the outside seems to fit, the design is very harmonious for a brand-new Porsche, quite the opposite to the Cayenne or Panamera.

The new design is not spectacular by any means but it is a very nice evolution of the classic 911 design, even if the back lights kind of seem to start a new tradition, a stylish one.

I like the new but subtle design of the front lights, the wide silver lining of the front light shape has disappeared, something I have hoped to happen for a very long time, actually since the 996.

991outfront.jpg

Some people may call the new design too stylish or a little bit too progressive but it looks fresh and new, with the one little Audi-like flaw I mentioned. Take a look at newer Audi A3 models, especially when the back light is actually turned on and you will understand. This does not really bother me but it should be of concern for the Porsche designers.

991outrear.jpg

The newly design rear wing is ingenious, I like it much better than the old wing. It looks much better when it is extracted and I suppose the aerodynamic benefits are better now too. 

Looking for the engine bay, I actually found only a small compartment in the rear with two filling ports for oil and water and two ventilators. There is no engine visible, nothing, not even a little bit. Those who always enjoyed opening the engine bay to show off or just to enjoy a nice view, will be hugely disappointed. There just isn't anything to see anymore. Some may call this sad, some may call it technical development but maybe Porsche could have just used some sort of transparent cover to at least allow a hint of a view of the engine.

991engine.jpg

There is however another tiny little flaw, which somehow bothers me: The far left and far right parking sensors in the front bumper. They look like aftermarket parts. My guess is that this was some sort of last minute solution but it doesn't really look good.

991sensor.jpg

The interior is actually the highlight of the new 991, everything looks different but most 911 owners, especially 996 and 997 owners, would still feel at home. Luckily, Porsche didn't choose the button overkill from the Panamera and/or Cayenne for the 991, everything looks nice and pretty and very stylish but more in a technical sense. 

991interior.jpg

I have to admit that the 991 interior is the highest quality look and feel interior I ever encountered on a 911 and this includes even the last 997 facelift generation. Not everything is really perfectly ergonomic but it looks great. The Porsche 911 interior designers clearly wanted to set the 991 apart from the Cayenne and Panamera and they succeeded. The 991 interior is a perfect mix of 997 and Cayenne/Panamera design elements, everything looks almost perfect. The speedo display(s) finally reached the 21st century, it looks high resolution and even if it isn't, it still looks better and brighter than the display used in the past 997 generation.

I looked everywhere for a cheap plastic look and feel but I have to admit that I couldn't find any. With one tiny exception, the door sill. It actually looks very similar to the 997 door sill and it could look better. Everything else, including the seat memory, are much better positioned now. The car I tested may have had some options which hide the plastic but I didn't have the time yet to check that out. As soon as I find out more, I'm going to update my findings.

991door.jpg

There is however a little problem with the PDK shifter, which sits now a little bit higher: It sometimes covers, depending of the viewing angle/seating position/size of driver, the PCM display (not so much) and the buttons underneath it, incl. the A/C temperature display (mostly the one of the co-pilot). This doesn't bother me too much but it is worth mentioning. On a design point of view, I would like to mention that the PDK shifter and the whole shift gate look a little bit too much like the one of an automatic transmission. Porsche should have found a sportier looking solution.

991klima.jpg

The back seats look more comfortable and they are to some point but unfortunately it seems that the head room has been reduced by the lower (?) roof line. My wife's head hits the rear window while sitting in the back, so while the back seats may be slightly more comfortable, they definitely don't provide more room for adults, not even my 11 year old daughter feels comfortable in the back of the 991. Porsche clearly had a different kind of rear passenger in mind, very likely smaller kids or just luggage. A disappointment for those who have hoped for more room in the back.

991rear.jpg

Driving

The location for the ignition key is still the left side from the steering wheel, Porsche-typical but on first sight, it reminded me of...Mercedes Benz. The keyhole looks different, welcome to the 21st century. The new 991 key looks quite similar to the Cayenne and Panamera key, I'm not sure why Porsche didn't use the opportunity to make it slightly smaller. When you put the key inside the ignition slot, approximately 70% of the key actually stands out, which is kind of weird for an electronic key. Not really a problem but worth mentioning, especially when you have a keychain attached to the key.

Starting the engine gives me the first surprise: While starting the 997 Carrera GTS for example is kind of...raw, starting the 991 feels more like pressing a button and the engine just runs. It is pretty spectacular how easy and fast it works but it takes a little bit the fun away of actually starting a Porsche. Maybe a little bit too perfect.

Even in idle, the engine still sounds 911-like but slightly dampened. This changes as soon as you put the PDK into D automatic and start accelerating. What a surprise, PDK shifts smoothly, the well known "kick" when switching from P to D apparently is gone. It also feels just smooth, refined, perfect. Again, the somewhat raw feel of the 997 PDK is gone.

The next surprise is the steering. It feels very light, unusual light for a 911 but I actually like it. The steering works very precise, for some people maybe too precise (Walter Röhrl would probably call it "razor sharp") but it actually provides the feeling of a real race car to some point, which is a pleasant surprise. I've read so many negative comments about the new electric steering and here we are and I love it. Honestly, I love it.

When driving fast, especially in curves, the steering translates my hands into super precise steering commands with almost surgical precision. While the steering is amazingly responsive, it is comfortable too. I get a very good feeling for the street but at the same time, the steering itself is quiet, almost as if it is disconnected from the street. It is a very weird feeling but once you get used to it, it is amazing.

I would like to compare it with a video racing game: The steering translates your steering commands to the street but you can't feel the pavement, the steering is quiet and doesn't shake in your hands, even if the street isn't really that good. Things worsen a little bit when PASM is set to sport mode but still, the steering is quiet, comfortable and razor sharp, translating each and every micro movement of your hands into razor sharp steering commands.

PDK works very comfortable, especially in auto mode, the shifting is smoother and, I think, fast too. When fully accelerating, PDK upshifts without any noticeable delay or any annoying "kicks", I really like it. It is comfortable but at the same time lightning fast. Much better than anything I've driven so far. Downshifts work as well very smoothly, the auto mode seems to always adjust to the right gear. Porsche changed the PDK programming a little bit, even in normal mode, PDK upshifts later when you are still accelerating. It is also very nicely possible to initiate upshifting and downshifting with your throttle position, it works much better and precise than on the 997 PDK.

In Sport or Sport Plus mode, the 991 Carrera S becomes a beast. The exhaust and engine sound changes and while the sound is more on the baritone side compared to the 997, it is still surprisingly throaty and 911-like, even when listening from the outside of the car. It isn't necessarily a very loud sound but it is a very sporty, 911-like sound and it doesn't annoy the driver a second. Sport and Sport Plus change the throttle response too and the 991 Carrera S becomes even more amazing. The throttle response is slightly more direct and more linear than on the 997 Carrera GTS with Sport Plus for example, upshifts and downshifts are still very comfortable but almost non-noticeable if you wouldn't hear the nice exhaust and engine sound. Porsche has done an amazing adaptation job, PDK and engine actually feel like one, they both seem in a perfect harmony, which is highly surprising. 

The biggest surprise however is...the engine. From approximately 5500 rpm on, the engine feels like as if Porsche hid a turbo charger somewhere, it gets another "kick" and it revs extremely well up to the rev limiter. I would even make the challenging claim that even a GT3 RS doesn't rev that good in that rev range. Porsche has done an amazing job, my 997 Carrera GTS with 8 horses more on paper, actually feels lethargic in that rev range compared to the 991 Carrera S. 

Under mixed driving conditions fuel consumption was around 17.7 liters / 100 km but I also managed to get 22.3 liters / 100 km when driving fast and with Sport Plus activated. Overall, fuel consumption seems to be approximately 2 liters / 100 km lower than on my 997 Carrera GTS Cab. Considering the amazing engine revving performance of the 991 Carrera S, this is quite impressive.

991fuel.jpg

Under normal circumstances, Sport/Sport Plus turned off, auto mode, normal driving, mostly street, you can get an even lower fuel consumption, something I haven't managed on my 997 Carrera GTS Cab yet. 12.4 liters / 100 km, which is quite impressive. Under similar driving conditions, my 997 Carrera GTS eats up around 15-16 liters / 100 km.

991fuell.jpg

So how is the chassis you may ask now ? Well...another amazing thing. I don't know how Porsche did it and to be honest, I don't even care but the 991 Carrera S is so easy to drive fast, I would almost consider it to be dangerous, especially for unexperienced drivers. Understeer is almost completely gone, you really have to do something stupid to provoke understeer but usually this stupidity results in oversteer. Even with Sport Plus active and PSM turned off, the 991 Carrera S is highly controllable, you can actually steer the car with the throttle in curves, which is real fun. Make no mistake though, this is still a 911 and if you aren't too careful... The very reactive steering allows the driver super precise steering commands and due to the lack of negative influence from the pavement, these steering commands allow the driver to drive very clean curves and turns, if the driver is experienced. It is difficult to describe, you need to experience it for yourself to understand. A GT3 driver would probably complaint about a light and indirect steering feel but while he may be right with the light description, the steering is no indirect at all, on the contrary. Like I said before, it is a weird, almost synthetic feel but it allows the driver an amazing steering precision.

PASM works great too but I actually find it to be too stiff and not really comfortable, especially on the Autobahn. Porsche may have programmed a stiff setup, so there is a difference compared to the normal setup but while the sport setting of PASM may have an advantage on the track, I would leave it off on public streets and especially on the Autobahn. The 991 Carrera S chassis starts shaking and suddenly, the steering precision is actually counter-productive. PASM is nice if you like it stiff but I'm not sure how effective it actually is in achieving better track times.

Bottom line is: The new chassis is a treat, it is almost perfect, maybe too perfect. It will allow even less experienced drivers to be fast as hell but those use to more "raw" driving machines may find it almost boring.

I drove the 991 Carrera S with summer tires and winter tires and my experience was very similar, the Pirelli Sottozero winter tires are just amazing for dry pavement, I haven't tried them on snow yet. The summer tires were Pirelli PZero and while I hate them on my 997 Carrera GTS, they felt quite good on the 991 Carrera S. Surprising. I didn't check the N classification of the PZero on the 991 but I liked them and how they performed. Outside temperature was between 3°C and 10°C.

Overall, the 991 Carrera S provides an aura of perfection compared to the 997.2. It is difficult to explain but once you sit in the 991, once you drive it, once you feel the PDK and once you drive through your first twists and turns, the 991 provides an incredible confidence, the confidence of a very mature and modern sports car, something I actually thought that Porsche achieved with the 997.2 and especially with the Carrera GTS.

Of course there are certain comfort features aboard, like the new display of parking sensor detection or the highly refined interior, including the great materials used (top quality) or the larger interior which actually provides a much less sports car feeling than in the 997 but make no mistake, the 991 Carrera S is the hell of a 911.

1323828605496991parksens.jpg

My verdict ? Well...I can summon it up in one single sentence but not everybody may like it:

Welcome to the 21st century, 911

Would I buy the 991 ? Definitely yes. Would I prefer it over my 997 Carrera GTS ? Anytime. 

I have to admit that I've never thought that the 991 would be such an improvement. I had the technical data and I heard a lot from those who have already driven it in the past. After driving it, I'm deeply impressed. This is the best 911 so far and I would even claim that the 991 is the first perfect 911 Porsche ever built.

The improved PDK is also amazing, going for manual on the 991 just doesn't make any sense but to each his own I guess. 

Btw, just for the book: I heard that the 991 facelift will not touch the back lights too much but the front lights. Smiley So it will be the other way around compared to the 997 facelift.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. 

Carlos already did an amazing job with his review, so I tried to make mine a little bit shorter, focusing on what impressed me most.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Re: Porsche 991 Carrera S - Review (Short)

great review, thank you... i think you are 100% right with everything you said. good thing you liked the steering, very good........... sssssssssssssooooooooooooooo happppyyykiss

Christian, nice write-up to the ususal standard kiss I look forward to driving one myself but wanted to hold off until spring and better weather indecision

I am glad to see we agree on one agrument I tried to make earlier re chassis wink "I don't know how Porsche did it and to be honest, I don't even care but the 991 Carrera S is so easy to drive fast, I would almost consider it to be dangerous, especially for unexperienced drivers." I used the reference to my mom being able to drive the car fast. I think there is a real danger to this with all modern sportscars not just with Porsche. People will find them driving at speeds beyond their awareness and talent, and at one point even smart engineering will not be able to overcome physics surprise

I notice the parking sensors at the unveiling of the car angry What where they thinking, real kit-car look mail

It seems Porsche has moved the 911 game up to deal with modern competition yet delivered a mainstream product. Will wait for Turbo and GT models to see the true potential.

On looks I am mostly with you, but still think they sacrificed to much 911 hertitage to allow for a more "corporate look". I am starting to see Panamera elements...

Again, well and balanced reviewed and thank you for the effort and time kiss

TEE

--
    Off enjoying my car...

RC, thank you for the report!

All the friends (Gnil, Cram, Carlos and others) who wrote their own impressions have added something to us understanding the 991 behaviour.

Your description of the steering chracterisitcs (feel, precision,control) I believe is very graphic for people (like me) who haven't driven the car yet kiss

One thing I would like some clarification please, is your mixed views about the PASM.

"PASM works great too but I actually find it to be too stiff and not really comfortable, especially on the Autobahn. Porsche may have programmed a stiff setup, so there is a difference compared to the normal setup but while the sport setting of PASM may have an advantage on the track, I would leave it off on public streets and especially on the Autobahn. The 991 Carrera S chassis starts shaking and suddenly, the steering precision is actually counter-productive. PASM is nice if you like it stiff but I'm not sure how effective it actually is in achieving better track times."

Which PASM you are actually referring to. Did the car have -20mm Sport PASM or series -10mm PASM? And what PASM did you consider as too stiff and a drawback? Just the Sport setting  or the overall performance of  whatever PASM the test car had ?

Thanks again!

--

"Form follows function"

PASM is a standard option on the 991 Carrera S, only PASM with the 20 mm lowering is optional. The car I drove had the standard PASM and I was referring to the PASM Sport mode only, not the standard setup. The standard setup is actually pretty good, even when driving very fast through curves. For public streets, I would leave PASM Sport mode turned off because the chassis gets very nervous, which is kind of counter-productive with that fantastic steering.

It is kind of difficult to explain but I didn't really like PASM Sport mode, despite my affection for a "stiff" chassis. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC, did your test car had option 658 - Servolenkung Plus? (the advanced Power Steering)

Also just to make sure I got it right, your car didn't had PDCC... Correct?

--

There is no try. Just do.

RC:

PASM is a standard option on the 991 Carrera S, only PASM with the 20 mm lowering is optional. The car I drove had the standard PASM and I was referring to the PASM Sport mode only, not the standard setup. The standard setup is actually pretty good, even when driving very fast through curves. For public streets, I would leave PASM Sport mode turned off because the chassis gets very nervous, which is kind of counter-productive with that fantastic steering.

It is kind of difficult to explain but I didn't really like PASM Sport mode, despite my affection for a "stiff" chassis. 

kiss

This is what I thought you meant. 

So, on this aspect Porsche haven't improved because on the 997.2 the Sport mode of PASM is hardly suitable for the road too. Unless on the 991 the normal mode is superior to the normal mode on the 997.2Smiley  But  I suppose because the 991 chassis is so superior and with more dynamic aids, it is not possible to isolate the difference attributed to the new generation of PASM.

--

"Form follows function"

Christian: Thanks for another great review. Clearly you like the car and accept the 'inflection point' changes as necessary progress (note below). Again, you confirm, significant feeling changes,which you often punctuate with comments like 'perhaps too perfect'.

The highlight for me is when you say: "I would like to compare it [assisted e-steering] with a video racing game: The steering translates your steering commands to the street but you can't feel the pavement, the steering is quiet and doesn't shake in your hands, even if the street isn't really that good." So... there it is, for those who want to pilot a video game... all is well.

Note: it is a well known piece of information that the WB increase was solely implemented to benefit from political silly tiered emissions regulations which favor large footprint cars... PAG preferred to shield itself and compromise its signature short WB spec. The fall-off of that is more stable longitudinal dynamics, and less pendulum effect.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

EVO seems to think that the 991 e-steering is not so good -  http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/276016/driven_toyota_gt_86.html?CMP=NLC-Newsletters&uid=718e2a7fad15bf394393af...

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Fantastic write-up!, great description on the different aspects of the car, thats the stuff you can't read on magazines, thank you!!

And specially interesting some comments since they were compared to the latest 997, the997GTS, like the engine you confirm as well how well it revs and how powerfull it feels compared to the 997 MK-II's  Also I agree on how "precise" the steering is on the 991, how easy the chassis was to drive fast, how good the PDK is on the 991, etc. very big jump from the 997 overall.

--

RC,

well done ...

Christian, another excellent review.Smiley

I am glad that you focused on things that you feel are the most important on new 991.

Today, I had a chance to drive 991S for 20mins and I fully agree with Carlos and Christian on their findings. Notice-car that I drove is equiped with -20mm PASM/PDCC. I will post my impressions after longer drive this weekend in Austria(car belongs to my friend). Just-weather forecast is not good for forthcoming weekend.

In short I will go for -20mm PASM/PDCC. Despite winter tires this setup is clearly what I want from 991. I drove the car mostly in standard mode(PDK wise) and tried both PASM modes. Sport is not of any use for daily driving-but, I can imagine that it is great for smooth road or flat track(a la Hockenheim). PDCC is actually doing some kind of magic-I will describe more next week...

KresoF1:

Today, I had a chance to drive 991S for 20mins and I fully agree with Carlos and Christian on their findings. Notice-car that I drove is equiped with -20mm PASM/PDCC. I will post my impressions after longer drive this weekend in Austria(car belongs to my friend). Just-weather forecast is not good for forthcoming weekend.

Wow, I cannot wait! I was hoping so much someone had a chance to try the -200m and the PDCC, really looking foward to what you have ot say Kreso! Smiley

--

Christian thanks a lot for this great review. As you know I have a 997.1 turbo. As you have had also a 997 turbo do you think it makes sense to trade my car for a fully loaded 991 S ? Do you think I will miss the muscle of the Turbo?

Thanks Christian for the great review !!! Again another top test in rennteam !!

are those the basic wheels from the Carrera (non S) ???... If so could you post more photos to see how actually the 991 looks?? They seem to look nice, and they are at no cost at all for the basic carrera.  Still they are 19" !!

kiss

--

Alex18_996CC:

are those the basic wheels from the Carrera (non S) ???... If so could you post more photos to see how actually the 991 looks?? They seem to look nice, and they are at no cost at all for the basic carrera.  Still they are 19" !!

The basic wheels from Carrera (3.4) are not available for the S neither in size (19") nor in look. Only 20" on the S.

I think RC's car wears the standard 20" Carrera S wheels,although the picture is not very informative.

These are the Carrera 3.4L 19" standard wheels

my_porsche_991110[1].JPG

and standard Carrera S 20" wheels

my_porsche.JPG

--

"Form follows function"

Hi RC,

Thanks for the good review..again - the reviews of Rennteam are much better than any of the "stupid" ´journalists..Smiley

Three questions - hope you can answer them:

1) Facelift 991: a) besides the lights - what will happen in the interior..? Even Auto motor sport complained a bit there were too many buttons for the airco..less would be more here.. b) engine..please give me an engine to see..

2) Consumption: your say that its lower..well I dont know how you drive in your GTS...but I can do (if driven very passive) 10.9L in a 997 GT3 in town.."fyling on the high constantly at 200km/h is also about 11L..so I dont really see this is such an improvement, if at all.

3) The one Million Dollar question: Yes, you say the 991 is the best 911 ever..well-.must be true..but now the question: is it worth that any 997.2 S - or GTS owner goes back to the Porsche centre odering a 991 and probably "blowing" 40,000€ or more in the wind..I mean a 997S owner will probably not go for a 991 basic..I think many people will think about a change but once the see a well equippend 991S can easily go up to 130,000€..then many will go back home in "shocked" status.Smiley

PS: the delivery times of the 991 are extremley short..order one now and you get in les than 2 month...that was not the case with 997 GTS etc..usually this can only mean that the order books are quite empty..Porsche will not admit this of course but fom a talk with a Porsche Centre boss I also heard that there was no "storm of 991 orders"...any ideas on that? We will know more in a few months..but in previous years there have been wating times of 6 month or more for a new 911..

Very nice Review, thank you RC!
    Interestingly though, I acually thought the PASM Sport mode was quite useful this time around. In my 997.2 I could stand it only a few seconds of bad Frankfurt city roads but on my test drive I drove mostly on sport even in town and still thought it was more compliant than my PASM normal setting in the 997.2
    but I agree on some roads (rarely though) it gets a little bit bumpy, but much less then previously

ADias:

EVO seems to think that the 991 e-steering is not so good -  http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/276016/driven_toyota_gt_86.html?CMP=NLC-Newsletters&uid=718e2a7fad15bf394393af...

I have not driven the GT 86 yet, so I cannot compare it to the 991 but I am totally with you that the new 991 steering is not perfect. Even RC said:"its weird, very synthetic feel", he still loves it but I will miss the 997 steering for sure.

2 things which are not so good anymore are: a) around center, slight movements do nothing to the wheels, so around there it is actually NOT precise in my opinion and b) in turns there is a hint of the Audi steering, slightly detached. It is not a big effect, very subtle but there nevertheless.

Carlos from Spain:

Fantastic write-up!, great description on the different aspects of the car, thats the stuff you can't read on magazines, thank you!!

And specially interesting some comments since they were compared to the latest 997, the997GTS, like the engine you confirm as well how well it revs and how powerfull it feels compared to the 997 MK-II's  Also I agree on how "precise" the steering is on the 991, how easy the chassis was to drive fast, how good the PDK is on the 991, etc. very big jump from the 997 overall.

--

Carlos, great review you did as well. Thank you. One question: Did you think the old steering was unprecise?
    To me it still seemed like the 997 steering was a little bit more precise, especially around the center position ... but I only drove the 991 for about 5 hours and many new things to try out, total overload. So maybe I dont remember it correctly.

Carlos from Spain:
    KresoF1:

Wow, I cannot wait! I was hoping so much someone had a chance to try the -200m and the PDCC, really looking foward to what you have ot say Kreso! Smiley

Me too! Very interested in the -20mm PASM and also on the PDCC. my dealer said, I dont need it but I am still intrigued by it.

GTlover:

2) Consumption: your say that its lower..well I dont know how you drive in your GTS...but I can do (if driven very passive) 10.9L in a 997 GT3 in town.."fyling on the high constantly at 200km/h is also about 11L..so I dont really see this is such an improvement, if at all.

You don't see an improvement on what? you haven't driven the 991 to compare any improvement or lack of thereof. When you compare milage you have to compare same driver and driving style and over the same routes in order for the comparison to be valid. You have two of these comparisons so far, mine and RC's and both gave significantly better milage, compared to both an Mk-I and an MK-II, but you prefer to compare ours with the milage you get with your car, your driving style and your own routes instead and believe that? which BTW is not very realistic, in order for me to get 11L I would have to be driving expresively for maximising milage at constant speeds with no traffic, don't see how a GT3 in city driving or doing 200km/h can achieve the same milage.

I have to say that I don't know how they did it but I really wasn't expecting such milage from the 400HP 991, not that its that important on a 911, but still interesting to note nevertheless.

--

GTlover:

Hi RC,

Thanks for the good review..again - the reviews of Rennteam are much better than any of the "stupid" ´journalists..Smiley

1) Facelift 991: a) besides the lights - what will happen in the interior..? Even Auto motor sport complained a bit there were too many buttons for the airco..less would be more here.. b) engine..please give me an engine to see..

3) The one Million Dollar question: Yes, you say the 991 is the best 911 ever..well-.must be true..but now the question: is it worth that any 997.2 S - or GTS owner goes back to the Porsche centre odering a 991 and probably "blowing" 40,000€ or more in the wind..I mean a 997S owner will probably not go for a 991 basic..I think many people will think about a change but once the see a well equippend 991S can easily go up to 130,000€..then many will go back home in "shocked" status.Smiley

PS: the delivery times of the 991 are extremley short..order one now and you get in les than 2 month...that was not the case with 997 GTS etc..usually this can only mean that the order books are quite empty..Porsche will not admit this of course but fom a talk with a Porsche Centre boss I also heard that there was no "storm of 991 orders"...any ideas on that? We will know more in a few months..but in previous years there have been wating times of 6 month or more for a new 911..

1) facelift 991 - seriously? somehow I find it hard to believe that after 2 weeks of the car out in the showrooms they would already know about what they will change for the facelift. I am sure some journalists are speculating what may be changing ... but does anybody already know? even at Porsche headquarter?
    2) my 5 hours of spirited driving with the 991 had about 16 l /100km for city, autobahn and mountain roads mixed, which is pretty much what I would expect to get on my 997.2 -- I also seem to recall a comment in Sport Auto Magazin which said, that fuel economy was unchanged. Of course they have lots of little "tricks" now (sailing, start stop, PDK in normal mode) to save on the standard fuel consumption test but driven in Sport or Sport plus they are all turned off anyway and therefore we should not be too optimistic about fuel savings. But cruising or city drives in Normal mode probably save a liter or more compared to the 997. But I have no data to back that up.

3) my 997.2 is 2 years old and yes I will trade it in for the 991 very soon. Do I blow 40K Euro, no not really. Dealer offered a very reasonable price for my old one and the new one I am ordering is about 10K Euro more expensive than my old one. But yes, if you just recently got a GTS, it is not really economical to trade it in already. I would not do it ... unless you are really unhappy with your current car. For me the 991 is worth the upgrade for the chassis and suspension alone. I was not really happy with the 997.2 in this respect on bad city roads which I drive mostly on unfortunately. But traveling and even in other cities I was quite happy with it, so I guess I am unlucky to have such bad roads at home and therefore I may be a special case.

RC, another great review!!!! kisskiss

The 991 S is already a new benchmark!!

wink

seranad:
    GTlover:

Hi RC,

1) facelift 991 - seriously? somehow I find it hard to believe that after 2 weeks of the car out in the showrooms they would already know about what they will change for the facelift. I am sure some journalists are speculating what may be changing ... but does anybody already know? even at Porsche headquarter?
    2) my 5 hours of spirited driving with the 991 had about 16 l /100km for city, autobahn and mountain roads mixed, which is pretty much what I would expect to get on my 997.2 -- I also seem to recall a comment in Sport Auto Magazin which said, that fuel economy was unchanged. Of course they have lots of little "tricks" now (sailing, start stop, PDK in normal mode) to save on the standard fuel consumption test but driven in Sport or Sport plus they are all turned off anyway and therefore we should not be too optimistic about fuel savings. But cruising or city drives in Normal mode probably save a liter or more compared to the 997. But I have no data to back that up.

3) my 997.2 is 2 years old and yes I will trade it in for the 991 very soon. Do I blow 40K Euro, no not really. Dealer offered a very reasonable price for my old one and the new one I am ordering is about 10K Euro more expensive than my old one. But yes, if you just recently got a GTS, it is not really economical to trade it in already. I would not do it ... unless you are really unhappy with your current car. For me the 991 is worth the upgrade for the chassis and suspension alone. I was not really happy with the 997.2 in this respect on bad city roads which I drive mostly on unfortunately. But traveling and even in other cities I was quite happy with it, so I guess I am unlucky to have such bad roads at home and therefore I may be a special case.

Hi seranad,

thanks for your ideas on the subject..well the facelift..RC gas mentioned it so I was curios:)

You have "bad roads" in Germany..Im lving there too..and would like to know where this isSmiley..I mean compared to many other countries, German roads are still good.

Obviously, if your drive alot of km per year, than the 991 is the more practical car...no doubt..I drive in my Porsches however only 10,000km per year...max..and mostly just on the weekend ..I do not use them to drive them to work..

take care,Smiley

GT lover: I live in Frankfurt and as far as my own experience goes, anywhere else in Germany the roads are much better. Frankfurt is the worst, lots of big holes from the last few winters, bridges with steps in them making my 997 sound like my suspension is broken and tram tracks all over the place.

Thanks RC. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide all of us with your detailed review. I am anxious for the introduction of the 991 in the US. My dealer has already sent me invite to the launch event on Feb. 4th and a test drive. Hopefully, we will have a break in the winter weather for  the test drive.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

Fantastic review! Excellent!

Thanks RC!!!Smiley

Very tempting after reading the review, but will keep the GTS for at least 2years.

Congratulations to everyone going for it.

kisskiss Thanks RC

--
    Happy Driving

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782059 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442896 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263517 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261945 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86010 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6026 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881691 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819793 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM