Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991... (LAUNCH thread)

Fantastic, love the top-gun music... look at the faces of all these people, really genuinely excited... and these are people that are in&around porsches each and every day...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Test of 991 on swedish soil by swedish Auto motor & sport. They absolutely LOVE the car kiss..

I'll quote his final words with a quick translation: "Purists who still feel that the 911 should have stayed air cooled will hate the car, all others will need to prepare for a long love affair since this is BY FAR the best 911 ever made" Smiley

http://www.automotorsport.se/filmer/20111202/forsta-provkorningen-av-nya-porsche-911/

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

Joost:

Fantastic, love the top-gun music... look at the faces of all these people, really genuinely excited... and these are people that are in&around porsches each and every day...

Was that the Red Bull Air Force or the South African Air Force doing the fly-by??

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

Joost:

kiss

Carlos from Spain:
    ADias:
    pjd:

Nice presentation there kiss

Porsche 991 - Dealer Launch South Africa

wink

Is this in South Africa? I saw mostly whites in the audience. Can't be right, can it?

Screen Shot 2011-12-02 at 10.08.41 AM.jpg

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

The reason is because the presentation was not for South Africans in general but excusively for the Porsche dealership owners/managers worldwide.

Correct. This event - and in fact the entire month of events - is for dealer principals from around the world. I'd be surprised if there were more than two or three South Africans in the entire audience. The presentation took place at an air force base just outside Cape Town called Ysterplaat (where the cars are being stored when not in use). Interesting to see that they even got the air force involved in the presentation - Porsche certainly doesn't do things in half measures!

it's actually been fascinating to follow this process. The dealers are staying at a hotel just around the corner from where I work on the foreshore in Cape Town. While the first few weeks seem to have been dedicated to track driving on the local circuit, Killarney, the last week or so has been devoted to the 991s driving in convoy around the peninsula. They tend to do this in three groups of 8 to 9 cars each, each led by a Cayenne. I've had the pleasure of a few close encounters with these convoys - and I can confirm that the 991s look and sound glorious. I've seen black, dark blue, silver and metallic brown examples - each group seems to be colour-coordinated.

A favourite pastime over the past week has been to step out onto the balcony st 9am every morning. With Germanic precision, three groups of 8-9 Porsches leave the hotel at exactly 9am every morning to embark on the day's journey - giving me something to look forward to, even if it is from a distance.  Smiley

Lukas:

Test of 991 on swedish soil by swedish Auto motor & sport. They absolutely LOVE the car kiss..

I'll quote his final words with a quick translation: "Purists who still feel that the 911 should have stayed air cooled will hate the car, all others will need to prepare for a long love affair since this is BY FAR the best 911 ever made" Smiley

http://www.automotorsport.se/filmer/20111202/forsta-provkorningen-av-nya-porsche-911/

Smiley Smiley

Guess what you see there? The ventilation system of industrial Tower? 

1322871413876Foto 2.JPG

OK, ok, of course as  911 fans you all know what it is . It's the engine compartment ventilation of the 991. I'm just back  from the presentation, which took place today in Germany. The new 911 looks live much better than on the pics. Really a nice piece of technology.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Because you can't see the engine, a mirror was affixed on the bottom for the presentation . Nice idea. In the future, you can identify a 911 fan on the mirror down on the bottom of his garage.indecision

1322871709212Foto 1.JPG

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

kiss

Here you can see the curvature of the headlights very well and the lower part of the mirror carrier, which is led out in grey plastic. So Porsche secures the sale of lot nice options like carbonpackages..etc.

Foto 3.JPG

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

This presentation was over the top, and a bit cheesy in my opinion (especially the top gun music). Are the planes supposed to provide a halo effect for the cars? Doesn't that detract from the car itself (that you need planes doing fly-bys to get those folks excited, because the car itself is not enough...)?

Then again, there's a reason I'm not in marketing...

PureBlue:
    ADias:

Is this in South Africa? I saw mostly whites in the audience. Can't be right, can it?

--

The reason is because the presentation was not for South Africans in general but excusively for the Porsche dealership owners/managers worldwide.

Correct. This event - and in fact the entire month of events - is for dealer principals from around the world. I'd be surprised if there were more than two or three South Africans in the entire audience. 

It's a pity that such an ill-informed conclusion was jumped to in the first place.   For the record, if it had been a South African attended corporate event, it would have been at least 50% attended by previously disadvantaged South Africans - simply because that's about the level of the "top end corporate demographic" now.  We've come a very long way and we're all very proud of it.

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

PureBlue:
     With Germanic precision, three groups of 8-9 Porsches leave the hotel at exactly 9am every morning to embark on the day's journey - giving me something to look forward to, even if it is from a distance.  Smiley

Another national stereotype, but I suppose the good ones are OK, and we're all thankful for this one!Smiley

I also noticed that dusk descends on proceedings with precision timing: not too early that the cars can't be presented driving around, in good light, but just in time for the lighting to make an increasingly dramatic backdrop for the closing scene of the 3 cars presented up close.*

And what a dusk it is...  Gotta love Cape Town.  It's a pity the hangar wasn't on the other side of the tarmac, or they'd have been presented with an even better backdrop: Table Mountain.  Instead they had to make do with circumnavigating our favourite landmark the next day.

* I wonder if they move the start-time a couple of minutes back each night..?Smiley

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Budster:

It's a pity that such an ill-informed conclusion was jumped to in the first place.   For the record, if it had been a South African attended corporate event, it would have been at least 50% attended by previously disadvantaged South Africans - simply because that's about the level of the "top end corporate demographic" now.  We've come a very long way and we're all very proud of it.

And you should be proud, thus the reason for my question.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

This is fabulous read! http://www.0-60mag.com/blog/will-sabel/2011/11/cars-porsche-911-obsession-cycle/

For all of us out there screaming out loud from a Porsche madness! 

dxpetrov:

This is fabulous read! http://www.0-60mag.com/blog/will-sabel/2011/11/cars-porsche-911-obsession-cycle/

So true SmileySmiley

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

dxpetrov:

Hilarious!  SmileySmileySmiley

Uber funny!
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Best I've read for a long time...kiss

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

AutoBild-numbers:

• 0-100 km/h: 3,8 s
    • 0-160 km/h: 8,9 s
    • 0-200 km/h: 13,2 s

Smiley

0-100 kph in 3.8 seconds and 0-200 kph in 13.2 is more than impressive.

I'm not sure why this car performed better than other models in other reviews, I am a little bit skeptical because these performance values contradict everything I've seen so far. Of course I would be very happy to see these figures on the Carrera S but I have my doubts. The best test values I've seen so far were 4.2 seconds from 0-100 kph and and 14.1 seconds from 0-200 kph (both achieved with Sport Chrono). This is a huge difference, maybe Porsche mistakenly put a 430 hp powerkit engine in that Carrera S ? Smiley This would make more sense (judging by the numbers).

I had the chance to spend a little bit more time with the 991 Carrera S today and while I will keep my opinion about how this car is driving a little bit longer to me (I want to make a few comparisons to my Carrera GTS Cab and to let it "sink" in), I have to say that I wasn't too excited about the rear lights and the evolution of the exterior. I expected something slightly less conservative and the rear lights reminded me of Audi, especially after I saw an Audi A3 in front of me with a similar backlight design (not that wide in size of course but it looked as if an Audi designer designed the 991 back lights). The interior however is very nice, I fell in love with it instantly. I also don't understand why people claim that the rear seats are the same, they are much better than the old ones. To prove it, I will take my son for a spin in the rear, he is the best judge.

Oh, today I took my kids and wife to see various Porsche models and guess what they liked most...the Cayenne Turbo (there was a gorgeous black car). My wife didn't even look at the 991, my daughter went straight to the Cayenne and my son, after looking at the 991 and the Panamera, told me that I should get a Cayenne Turbo. Well...I didn't expect that much enthusiasm but apparently my family has taken a decision for me.

I'm still willing to give the 991 Carrera S a chance, so I will try to deliver an objective test review from almost any poinst of view possible.

991s.jpg

cayt.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

I'm not sure why this car performed better than other models in other reviews, I am a little bit skeptical because these performance values contradict everything I've seen so far. Of course I would be very happy to see these figures on the Carrera S but I have my doubts. The best test values I've seen so far were 4.2 seconds from 0-100 kph and and 14.1 seconds from 0-200 kph (both achieved with Sport Chrono). This is a huge difference, maybe Porsche mistakenly put a 430 hp powerkit engine in that Carrera S ? Smiley This would make more sense (judging by the numbers).

AutoBild tested the very same testcar as AMS did. But the differences are huge, even with the same testing methode:  3,8 s vs. 4,1 s and 13,2 vs. 14,5 s...

Anyone see the Autoweek 991 article "NUMB OR FUN" ? I've been concerned about the electromechanical power steering. Others have tried it and switched back (didn't they try that w/ the M5?) , don't think anyone has been able to make it work (in terms of steering feel we treasure in a 911).....  Autoweek re: 991: "It was like driving on novocaine.  After losing control of the car and 'flying off the track' they eventually settled in (no harm no foul if you have run-off I guess) and seemed to like the car but not so sure Porsche's idea of removing "unnecessary inputs" from the 911's steering is going to be a good idea.

Just came from Porsche 991 presentation in Lisbon. I think i will do a test-drive maybe next week or on the other (depends on my schedule broken heart).

991_Lisbon.jpg

My first brief impressions:

1) Overall i like it more then the 997. More sportier and muscular. It is for sure more beautiful on real then on pics.

2) The front: Because of the wider front, the car gives more "presence" and have a more sportier look. The headlights, again, wonderful design, the proportions are perfect!

3) The rear: Big change, but for me one of the best parts of the car. The lights because of the shape they make the rear also look wider. I liked also the new design of the lights. It was funny that when the "engine compartment" was open many people was asking if they also could see the engine indecision.

4) The interior: Wow! Big change... for better! The center console have booth "sportier" and "luxury" feeling. The rear seats they seemed only a BIT more roomier then on 997... but i didn`t sit on the back to prove...

Final conclusion: I hope it rides VERY WELL, because on the static side the first impression was 9,5/10 for me! kiss. It still is a true 911. 

p.s.: The car (as you see on pic above) was on a dark blue (very nice colour) and the wheels look also great. Beije interior colour is not for me . On black it would be far better kiss.

wink

RC:

I had the chance to spend a little bit more time with the 991 Carrera S today and while I will keep my opinion about how this car is driving a little bit longer to me (I want to make a few comparisons to my Carrera GTS Cab and to let it "sink" in), I have to say that I wasn't too excited about the rear lights and the evolution of the exterior. I expected something slightly less conservative and the rear lights reminded me of Audi, especially after I saw an Audi A3 in front of me with a similar backlight design (not that wide in size of course but it looked as if an Audi designer designed the 991 back lights). The interior however is very nice, I fell in love with it instantly. I also don't understand why people claim that the rear seats are the same, they are much better than the old ones. To prove it, I will take my son for a spin in the rear, he is the best judge.

Oh, today I took my kids and wife to see various Porsche models and guess what they liked most...the Cayenne Turbo (there was a gorgeous black car). My wife didn't even look at the 991, my daughter went straight to the Cayenne and my son, after looking at the 991 and the Panamera, told me that I should get a Cayenne Turbo. Well...I didn't expect that much enthusiasm but apparently my family has taken a decision for me.

I'm still willing to give the 991 Carrera S a chance, so I will try to deliver an objective test review from almost any poinst of view possible.

991s.jpg

cayt.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Well, no wonder you didn't like an Audi resemblance as you are after all - a BMW owner! Smiley

I agree the design principle is similar, but execution is way above Audi's. Here, the form, the graphics and a perceptive ''movement'' of the unit, all follow the shape of the car in harmony and make the car look ''in the move'' even when standstill.

Smiley

RC:
    I expected something slightly less conservative and the rear lights reminded me of Audi, especially after I saw an Audi A3 in front of me with a similar backlight design (not that wide in size of course but it looked as if an Audi designer designed the 991 back lights).
    --

I said from the very beginning that that 991 rear lights look just like a copy of the ones from an Audi A3. Smiley

For me that doesn't have to be a bad thing, but you definitely see a resemblance.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I've seen the lights months ago but without them actually be turned on, so I wasn't too aware of the really same look. Weird. Half an hour ago, I met another A3 on the Autobahn and same back light design, it is very similar.

There are other things I didn't like about the 991 but the negative points have more to do with the exterior/interior part, not with driving (which is a good thing).

I don't want to publish a half-bread review, so please give me some time.

Oh, the back seats may be slightly more comfortable for kids but my wife for example can't sit there anymore...she hits the rear window glass with her head and she is "only" 1.68 m. I think Porsche missed a great opportunity here because they could have made a rear 4-seater out of the 991. Something they probably didn't because the Panamera based Coupe is supposed to be the only Porsche Coupe to offer this feature. Lame.

--

dxpetrov:

Well, no wonder you didn't like an Audi resemblance as you are after all - a BMW owner! Smiley

I agree the design principle is similar, but execution is way above Audi's. Here, the form, the graphics and a perceptive ''movement'' of the unit, all follow the shape of the car in harmony and make the car look ''in the move'' even when standstill.

Smiley

You clearly don't know me too well... Smiley

I'm the owner of whatever car pleases me, I'm not brand focused or brand blind, never have been.

--

One problem with the new Cayenne is that it resembles the Lexus RX330 too much.

I am a car guy, know my cars pretty well that I can tell most of them from afar, but last night on a dark stretch of highway I was making up ground on a SUV in front, which I thought was a Lexus RX330 from the tail lights shape and body shape, but when I got close enough to pass I found out it was a new Cayenne. Few minutes later I made the same mistake on another Cayenne.  Finally made the right call on a 3rd Cayenne after I passed a real RX330. In the dark the way to tell them apart was the Cayenne has LED tail lamps while the Lexus has conventional.

No offense but I see literally no resemblance between the Cayenne and the RX330. The RX330 doesn't even have red tail lights.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775128 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440569 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262166 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260400 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84868 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879599 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814468 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM