Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The real SPORTSCAR

Na da freue ich mich aber das hier alle der gleichen Meinung sind-----------> Z06 is the real thing

Any one else here driving a Z06 in germany ????

They will all be happier yet to read your story about driving the 06 in Germany

I think you won the prize for First Rennteamer in the EU to own a Z06

Quote:
    F355 said:
    Na da freue ich mich aber das hier alle der gleichen Meinung sind-----------> Z06 is the real thing

Any one else here driving a Z06 in germany ????

F355:

Congratulations on the Z06! It truly looks remarkable in black!
    Not to mention the Porsche drivers will get a heart attack...

plastic plastic plastic.... for me its still a pimp car!

Quote:
    Lars996 said:

So if the 997S X51 is not as quick,has a lower top speed,costs more to service and eats tires at twice the rate of a Z06, does that make it a dumb car to buy? No,its just a different sports car.

Really, all of this class warfare from culture vultures is
    ridiculous.

Whats fast is fast. A sports car is a sports car.

Look how Bentley and Rolls Royce are now the preferred cars of thug rap gangsters, does that mean those cars should be stigmatized also? You gonna look down your nose at RR now? I dont think so.

Move forward into this century please!

May I add that in 2005, average weight of plastic
    parts in cars (all brands, all models) rose up to 143 KGS (vs 133 in 2004).Please read also this extract from wikipedia :

.... "C6 Z06 has a dry sump oiling system, something typically found only on race cars. Connecting rods made out of exotic titanium further lighten the reciprocating mass of the engine while making them stronger than the steel rods they replace. Altogether, the Z06 model not only produces more power, it revs faster and higher than any other Chevrolet LS-motor.

In a radical departure from anything Chevrolet has ever done before, the primary structural element of the C6 Z06 is aluminum instead of steel as on the non-Z06 cars. The hydroformed aluminum frame remains dimensionally identical to its steel bretheren but is significantly lighter. The front fenders are made of carbon fiber to reduce weight, while wider rear fenders allow for the wider tires necessary to deal with the engine's increased power. The Z06 officially weighs 3132 lb (1421 kg), giving it a power to weight ratio of 6.2 lb/hp (3.8 kg/kW). The C6 Corvette Z06 is the first 500+ horsepower production car to avoid the US government Gas Guzzler tax.

On October 31, 2005, the application of magnesium AE44 alloy in the engine cradle (the world's first magnesium chassis component) was bestowed an Honorable Mention in the Automotive News PACE(TM) (Premier Automotive Suppliers' Contributions to Excellence) Awards competition. This is the first award granted to the C6 Z06 Corvette. The suppliers receiving the award were Norsk Hydro Magnesium and Meridian Technologies, Inc."

Yes main body panels of Corvettes are made with fiberglass.
    So what ?
    Do you know that some body panels of Mercedes CL
    or BMW 6 series are made with plastic ? does it make "poor man" cars ?

I guess the reason why Z06 thread provoke so many
    answers, so many "flames" in numerous web forums is
    that GM made an extremely competitive (in all aspects),
    sportscar, if not supercar... and it seems embarrassing
    for some people.

It should not if you respect all the sportscars, we are all here for this.

997 Bumpers are plastic if im not mistaken.

Common guys, lets don't start this silly discussion enymore.
    The Z06 is IMO indeed a very faszinating car, and as soon as I can test drive one, I will.
    I think from the power point of view it can be compared with the TT, for sure the TT is a better car in overall. But the gap won't be so big.
    But from price point of view, it should be compared to a 997S, and that round goes for sure to the Z06.
    Image is maybe not the best over here in Europe, but its much better than before 10 years, and its looking like the image is getting better and better.
    If you ask me 997S or Z06, I would go for Z06.
    Z06 or GT3/TT, well I'll take the one of the P.

Quote:
    Lars996 said:

Over here (US) a GT3, Ferrari, Lambo, RR are all considered ridiculous pimp cars, and most likely a gangsta sports star is behind the wheel of one. Most weathly people in the US don't drive these cars. They are considered too flashy, whereas the Corvette is still sublte and common enough to be accepted. Most people can't tell the difference between the C6 and Z06, and in the US that works to it's advantage.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    Lars996 said:

Over here (US) a GT3, Ferrari, Lambo, RR are all considered ridiculous pimp cars, and most likely a gangsta sports star is behind the wheel of one. Most weathly people in the US don't drive these cars. They are considered too flashy, whereas the Corvette is still sublte and common enough to be accepted. Most people can't tell the difference between the C6 and Z06, and in the US that works to it's advantage.

Now wait a second. All this time I kept hearing how Europeans are jealous and will key your car as soon as the opportunity presents itself, while Americans are the ones who say: "Good for him. Someday, if I work hard enough, I'll also own one." Are you saying that it isn't so?
    This is a totally serious question, since I'm curious.

Crash, it hasnt changed so dont worry.

And ferraris, lambos, RRs, Bentleys and GT3s are not
    stereotyped as ridiculous pimp cars either.

"Good for him. Someday, if I work hard enough, I'll also own one."

Yes, most American's have this attitude. But, I would say people are much more conservative then they used to be. With rappers and gangsta sports stars buying these cars, the traditonal weathly have seemed to shy away from them, more so than in the past. When I was young (80's), I use to see all kinds of these wild sports cars on the road, now it's ALL big $$$$ SUV's. The only time I see an exotic car, is when 50 cent arrives at a downtown club. It's absolutely horrible. Even the Corvette (an American icon) gets sneers for being too flashy, like you have something to prove if you own one. They don't understand why you want speed or handling precision, when you could buy a big SUV to cruise around in?

For example...I rarely use to see Porsches, and then all of a sudden they introduced their SUV and it was everywhere...I mean EVERYWHERE! I would several TT Porsche SUV's, and I know they cost $100k+. So, the whole time, many had plenty of money to buy beautiful sports cars but they didn't? Many say if Porsche didn't come out with an SUV, they would eventually go out of business...horrible.

It seems the people who don't have the money want them and the people who have the money want nothing to do with them California may be the rare exception.

Jersey 95 you need to get out of the tri state area and head South to Florida or West to California. Your perception is skewed.

Usually "wealthy" people have 3-4 cars anyway. So what you see them drive into the city at night doesnt mean thats their only car.

Yes you are right, Florida and CA are the exception. Maybe it's just the typical northeast conservatism. But I can still travel to the midwest, south, Chicago area and see dozens of big $$$$ SUV's and barely any sports cars in sight. Even in Miami/LA they are all driving SUV's.

Quote:
    Lars996 said:

Quote from the following article about the new 997 tt: "Weight has been saved by the use of aluminium in the doors, and various other parts now produced in high-grade lightweight plastics".

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3200.asp?id=12874

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Yes you are right, Florida and CA are the exception. Maybe it's just the typical northeast conservatism. But I can still travel to the midwest, south, Chicago area and see dozens of big $$$$ SUV's and barely any sports cars in sight. Even in Miami/LA they are all driving SUV's.

Dude you are way out of it. If new Miami or LA at all you wouldnt make such a ridiculous claim. I dont know who you think "They" are? Farmers from New Jersey visiting ther big city maybe? Get real. GT3 as a pimpilicious NBA ride? Their shoe size is a no fit in a 997. People in the OC or Marin not driving their Astons Ferraris, RRs and Bentleys cuz 50 cent does? You nuts? Check your exhaust system for leaks!

Congrats F355!!

hope you'll post a report soon!!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:

Dude you are way out of it. If new Miami or LA at all you wouldnt make such a ridiculous claim. I dont know who you think "They" are? Farmers from New Jersey visiting ther big city maybe? Get real. GT3 as a pimpilicious NBA ride? Their shoe size is a no fit in a 997. People in the OC or Marin not driving their Astons Ferraris, RRs and Bentleys cuz 50 cent does? You nuts? Check your exhaust system for leaks!

I agree! I still don't see many at all in the NYC area, which you would think is prime territory for this stuff.

F355: Congrats!
    I just picked my Velocity Yellow Z06 up this week (still breaking it in). It is a phenominal car. I can give some accounts for driving impressions vs. my Boxster.
    I haven't really hit the gas hard as I'm still breaking in the engine. I've gone up to about 4500rpm, but the engine revs very quickly even at 1/2 throttle. The car also feels VERY nimble. It's apparent that the car is well balanced and lite weight. I haven't been able to get the nose to push at all in corners. Active handling has activated a couple times even in Competition mode. The heads-up display is nice because you don't need to look down at the dash to see rpms, speed and fluid temps. The lateral g-meter is nice, but sometimes distracting if you want to see your max g in a turn. It holds the highest g level reached only for about 2 seconds and is then gone. Overall, the car is much better than the '97 I just sold. The ride is surprisingly good for a car that handles so well.
    Vs. the Boxster, the internal materials aren't any better (at least in 2001) in the Boxster than the Corvette. They are both really similar. I'm sure the newer Boxsters have better materials used. Steering feel at lower speeds is much better in the Boxster. As speeds increase, the steering in the Z06 livens up and gives good feedback. The handling limits are so high on the Z06 that it's hard to explore them on the street at safe speeds. I've hit only .81g's and it felt totally safe. The brakes have a good feel for both cars. The Z06 has such a force when you really hit them. The engine in the Z06 is totally intoxicating! It is AWESOME. It is so flexible from low revs all the way to where I stopped reving it.
    Sorry it wasn't a complete impression as I'm still breaking the car in. I'll post some updates as I get more mileage on the car.
    I'm going to do headers and an air intake. It should take it to 560-565hp. Dynos on totally stock Z06s are showing about 540-545hp (yes they're underrated from the factory). Add in a computer tune and they're making close to 500rwhp! (588hp at the crank). There's also a tag on the engine you can cross reference the numbers and find out who built the engine (each one is hand assembled in Michigan).

Nice!

If you want Michelin Pilot Sports, tirerack.com has them in
    front sizes of 275-35-18 and 285-35-18 and the rears in 345-30-19. They are slightly taller, but wider and whole lot more stickier. They meet Corvette specs for front/rear sizing difference and will fill up your wheel wells more.

Gotten in any good runs yet?

Quote:
    01Box06Z06 said:
    F355: Congrats!
    I just picked my Velocity Yellow Z06 up this week (still breaking it in). It is a phenominal car. I can give some accounts for driving impressions vs. my Boxster.
    I haven't really hit the gas hard as I'm still breaking in the engine. I've gone up to about 4500rpm, but the engine revs very quickly even at 1/2 throttle. The car also feels VERY nimble. It's apparent that the car is well balanced and lite weight. I haven't been able to get the nose to push at all in corners. Active handling has activated a couple times even in Competition mode. The heads-up display is nice because you don't need to look down at the dash to see rpms, speed and fluid temps. The lateral g-meter is nice, but sometimes distracting if you want to see your max g in a turn. It holds the highest g level reached only for about 2 seconds and is then gone. Overall, the car is much better than the '97 I just sold. The ride is surprisingly good for a car that handles so well.
    Vs. the Boxster, the internal materials aren't any better (at least in 2001) in the Boxster than the Corvette. They are both really similar. I'm sure the newer Boxsters have better materials used. Steering feel at lower speeds is much better in the Boxster. As speeds increase, the steering in the Z06 livens up and gives good feedback. The handling limits are so high on the Z06 that it's hard to explore them on the street at safe speeds. I've hit only .81g's and it felt totally safe. The brakes have a good feel for both cars. The Z06 has such a force when you really hit them. The engine in the Z06 is totally intoxicating! It is AWESOME. It is so flexible from low revs all the way to where I stopped reving it.
    Sorry it wasn't a complete impression as I'm still breaking the car in. I'll post some updates as I get more mileage on the car.
    I'm going to do headers and an air intake. It should take it to 560-565hp. Dynos on totally stock Z06s are showing about 540-545hp (yes they're underrated from the factory). Add in a computer tune and they're making close to 500rwhp! (588hp at the crank). There's also a tag on the engine you can cross reference the numbers and find out who built the engine (each one is hand assembled in Michigan).

Thanks for the review ! Keep posting and enjoy your new ride

thanks for your comments 01box and congrats on your car, it really looks awesome! look forward to your report when you'll rev it up to 7000rpm!

turbolite:

You might find this link to your liking.
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1205511&forum_id=100

thanks Jack!

F355, what kit did you use to lower you car? cheers

All C5's and C6's (including the Z06) are ride height adjustable from the factory. You can raise or lower the car with a wrench at all 4 corners. It takes 25 minutes with the wheels off. You don't need to buy anything. His car looks very low, so I wouldn't be suprised if he cut the bushings to bring it down even more.

i really respect this car for what it is. but why do all american cars bar the ford gt lack sophistication ?
    why do the interiors have to be so cheap and crappy ?
    why all those overized buttons ?
    why do they rattle shake and roll after a couple of thousand miles ?
    why do the have absolutely no resale value....

i really think the cars would be perceived much different if the would show the slightest signs of quality.

i know somebody who has 2 cadillac sts's. gave me a lift many times....crap, horrible, plastic. vw polo is much more comfortable as it is solidly engineered with better supportive seats and so on...

a real pity...

Caddys have horrible resale. Vette resale is higher than for 996/997s.

As for Cadillac interiors, the lastest production for the non CTS models have better leather interiors - purchased from a German company. But really the US car companies just stink at finishing car interiors. Maybe its because the engineers and accountants are usually living in ohio and are just stinking flat out ignorant and cheap. Jeep is getting better, now that they use cast off old model Benz parts in some instances.

Overall the cars do have one advantage over the super complex German sedan models of today - They start up
    everytime and u can actually jump start them without destroying the electronics.

If you look at the latest 07 Chevy Tahoe. That SUV looks like it came from another planet compared to the 06 model.
    No orange peel paint, tight panel gaps, better switch gear, and a Rover like interior. Its a shocking difference from what came before. But so is its new higher price.

My question for VW is why do they make a Golf feel like a mini whale? How could they take a tight, small FWD car and make it feel like it was fed a diet donuts? Why did they give the new Passat such barge-o-matic long overhangs and why did they make it look like a bizarre jackbooted Camry?

From the side or the rear you cant tell that its even a VW.
    And it won best new sedan award at the Geneva car show, even though it is bigger, handles worse than before and has no obvious VW identity except for its super sized grill.

Oh well...

Thats what you can do with a porsche.......

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761353 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434735 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260165 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257327 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80834 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5314 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871606 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806868 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM