Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 (465hp beast)

Lars997:

I really love jeep and I love the huge american big block engines. What I never will understand is the harsh plastic they use in the interior. Just check those pictures - beautiful Nappa dash board, nice carbon fibre - but the lower parts of the dash as well as the middle tunnel is again that hard plastic which you find almost in any american car. Is it really so difficult to put a higher quality material inside yes

just my thoughts....it is really beyond me that they keep doing it.....can't be so difficult to user better materials and better design. especially those big buttons they always use and the ridiculous cup-holders.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Lars997:

I really love jeep and I love the huge american big block engines. What I never will understand is the harsh plastic they use in the interior. Just check those pictures - beautiful Nappa dash board, nice carbon fibre - but the lower parts of the dash as well as the middle tunnel is again that hard plastic which you find almost in any american car. Is it really so difficult to put a higher quality material inside yes

It's still a sport truck, not a luxury car...No one is doing the Rubicon or any serious off-roading in an SRT but hopefully you at least get to use it on some dirt /back country roads to go hiking, fishing, camping, biking etc. Leather there is nice on a 997 & 430 but would you want leather on the lower dash & tunnel even if it was free? It's the areas that get the most abuse especially as the wife's vehicle w/ our kids. Muddy boots and leather don't mix.. 

Sure the biggest reason though is cost. For a JEEP it's already pretty high in price ($60k) but it's almost half the price of a Cayenne Turbo and what $30k? less an an equivilent optioned X5. We've had Mercedes ML's that cost as much but didn't have anywhere near as much leather or looked as nice inside as those SRT interior pictures.  Matter of fact,,, think the only thing leather on our ML's were the seats & a very small strip on the door's.. The dash, center arm rests, & upper door panels etc were all plastic... My dads Audi Q5 has leather seats, that's it I think..  Looking forward to seeing it in person but from the pics think the interior is really great looking imho. 

Atzporsche:

Nice new pics, I've started this thread because I LOVE this SUV. You will not be disappointed, go for it mate.

It's still got American styles, German platform (handling) and very nice interior. It's just a sweet ride.

I would take it in white with black interior. Cool, spacious, nice, fast and quality!!!

Thanks, I noticed you mentioned that you really liked it.  Thanks for starting the thread too...

It doesn't look like it will be available right away in white but I was thinking black/black. With the white stitching & interior aluminum/ carbon fiber bits? Yummy..

I'm not feelin any other SUV's. The X5 is okay.. . Without going over $100k for th Cayenne Turbo, the base or even the S look very.....well ordinary.... The previous generation Jeep SRT has a HUGE following here in the states, there's whole forum's dedicated to the truck, the thing I didn't like about it was the interior & ride quality. From the pictures really digging the new interior & from the reviews sounds like the best thing about the new SRT is the ride quality//// suspension; "softer but not soft"..... When we're on a family trip the last thing I want is a stiff ride like my sports cars.  One article I read commented that it has the best of all worlds; the German engineering with American muscle...  

We had a 1) Grand cherokee  Laredo 2) Limited and 3) Orvis edition.  All were great family vehicles... All bought & serviced by the same local dealer that we purchased our current Durango. So I have a very good place to buy one,  will probably like to get an idea of service costs too prior to purchase,,  wondering if it will add anything significant to the maintenance w/ those 6 piston brembo's,,, we put on about 20k miles a year in our SUV...  We don't NEED an SRT8 but I think I want one.. The sound alone gets me going.... Think in person it's going to look even "sweeter"..

Smiley

"Starting from scratch
    Now that Mercedes-Benz is long gone from the ownership picture, the Jeep guys are free to throw every toy in the book at the SRT8. Adaptive cruise control, heated steering wheel, six-piston Brembos, blind-spot warning, keyless entry – you name it, the Grand Cherokee has it standard or optional.

But what this Grand Cherokee really offers in spades is street cred. The monochromatic paint, flared fenders and low-rider stance give the Grand Cherokee an almost cartoonishly aggressive look. The 20-inch wheels are straight out of an HR Giger book; it’s disappointing when they don’t sprout tire-cutting blades on the move. The de rigeur LED light blades on the front bumper are at the level of most cars’ headlights. Is that an Audi R8 coming up behind you, or a Jeep? You won’t be able to tell from the closing speed.

No Jeep has ever looked this good inside, either. The leather is soft, the plastics are high-quality, the metal trim is genuine, and the steering wheel has the arrogant thickness of a BMW M-car. Chrysler’s been banging the drum on interior materials, and the sweep of black carbon fiber across the doors and dashboard perfectly matched the material used in this tester’s $1,800 Impact! Air Draft Carbon helmet.
    Helmet, you say? Oh yes, because we had our Grand Cherokee tester at “Big Willow,” the deadly road course north of Los Angeles. Down the front straight, the SRT8 managed 128 mph before late-braking and locking-up its active rear differential for the entry into Turn One.

Get over the sheer terror of having your head six feet off the ground when cranking .90g’s through Willow’s long, flat Turn Two, and it’s amazing what the Grand Cherokee can accomplish. The lap times were good enough to race in several NASA production-based classes, and it wasn’t just the 6.4-liter HEMI making the bacon. This truck stops, turns, and responds in a fashion that is utterly world-class.
    We didn’t get passed once all day at Willow – not even by the Chrysler engineers in their Challenger 392s. This Grand Cherokee has no excuses to make on a racetrack. Just make sure someone else is paying for your tires, because just an hour or two’s worth of lapping can smoke two grand worth of P-Zero rubber. "

http://www.leftlanenews.com/jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-first-drive-review.html

In couple reviews I read they praise the  previous generation compare to this new one.  I'll try to find the link and post it.

--
    Happy Driving

Lars997:

What do you expect, even our national cheese "American Cheese" is made from some type of plasticSmiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Ron (Houston):

In couple reviews I read they praise the  previous generation compare to this new one.  I'll try to find the link and post it.

That woudl be great.

I've read about 30 (?) reviews so far and find there's probably about 10 very positive ones for every one negative. But the negatives ones in comparing to the previous generation had to do w/ the the better power to weight and stiffer suspension. As far as weight, the previous truck was too small for us, so the larger new truck works better for us, the fact that it's larger (so not as fast) is actually a positive for our needs.  We're not 1/4 miling our SUV..  We buy SUV's mostly for their size & comfort but having one that has the performance of the JEEP SRT is icing..... As far as not having the stiffer sports car like suspension, that's the biggest reason we didn't buy the last truck but came close in March of last year, the deals were really, really tempting but it was just outside our preference for size and I already have sports cars with that kind of stiffer suspenion, for us personally when we're using the SUV I really don't want that kind of "banged heads, bruised organs " jarring ride. There's lot's of uneven pavement in NY Metro ... That's why this new SRT is so tempting; larger size, better suspension, much better looks (imo), MUCH nicer interior... With sports car like performance... Plus I think there might even be a better transmission on the way, that's it's current only downside from my own perspective.. Sure, we'd LOVE to own a loaded Cayenne Turbo but it just doesn't make financial sense to me right now plus our SUV is left outdoors (on our driveway) & my wife uses it to go to work /parks in Brooklyn NY,, carpool's w/ a bunch of kids inside,  etc., etc.  so there's other practical reasons for not spending $100k + on our SUV..... Mostly, this is typical for the reviews I'm seeing:

Good Lord. This is the most impressive Chrysler product I've driven in years. I spent a lot of time in the previous Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and I really disliked that vehicle. I guess there was only so that could be done to the previous generation of Grand Cherokee. Now that the regular Grand Cherokee is such a refined and luxurious vehicle, the SRT8 model can really shine.

The biggest improvements here are in the suspension. I could not believe how buttoned-down and well behaved this Jeep was during my commute and after a few laps at Waterford Hills. There's still a lot of mass to contend with, but the vehicle reacts very well to inputs and offers incredible performance. Our Four Seasons Grand Cherokee has a bit too much body roll on the street because it must meet Jeep owners' expectations off-road. Luckily, the SRT8 version carries no off-road pretenses and its on-road performance is on par with any European SUV other than a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, although the Jeep's price is a mere fraction of the Porsche's.

Any SUV with performance intentions is a bit of an oxymoron, but the SRT8 never feels like a joke. There may only be a few people who really want a go-fast Jeep, but it's so well done that you can't help but enjoy your time behind the wheel. Even the looks of the Grand Cherokee SRT8 are incredible. The hood is my favorite with the two functional vents adding an aggressive look to the front end as well as a special feeling from behind the wheel. There's a little less thrust than I'd expect from the 6.4-liter Hemi at speed, but I suppose that's what happens when you're pushing this much air. At least launches from a stop are incredibly authoritative.

Phil Floraday, Senior Web Editor

The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is so composed on the racetrack, I fell asleep in the front passenger's seat while a colleague was piloting it around Waterford Hills road course. Aside from the fact that I am a bit of a narcoleptic after lunch, this is a testament to how well tuned even the base Grand Cherokee is. Later, I drove the Jeep home to Ann Arbor and had many opportunities to dip into the throttle and savor the tremendous, explosive acceleration, the V-8's throaty overrun, and the gravelly exhaust note.

Full-throttle upshifts are almost brutal. It's like someone is punching you in the back, and the exhaust note deepens to emphasize the action. I'm not complaining; this was pretty cool. You can zoom up to 110 mph very easily and then scrub off the speed with the super-strong Brembo brakes. The Jeep bounds and leaps over the road with a stiff, bouncy ride, pounding bad pavement into submission. There's a constant battle going on between the huge twenty-inch wheels and tires and the road surface, and the Jeep usually wins, but I think I might tire of the fight after a while. Good body control here, though. The steering feels a little heavy and could be more precise but ultimately it works.

And, yes, the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 looks totally badass.

Joe DeMatio, Deputy Editor

Wow. This Grand Cherokee SRT8 is totally ridiculous, but amazingly capable. It's fast -- although I expected it to be a little quicker off the line -- and remarkably stable at high speeds, with badass looks and a soundtrack to match. The interior is really nice, with white stitching on the black seats and dash, subtle carbon-fiber trim, and grippy suede inserts to keep you and three passengers in place when you inevitably start taking entrance ramps at obnoxious speeds, just because you can. It's a remarkably competent high-performance SUV that, especially for the price, gives nothing away to the best in its class from Germany. If you weren't sure if Chrysler had successfully survived bankruptcy, this Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is the indisputable evidence.

Jennifer Misaros, Managing Editor, Digital Platforms

"Support Wind Power," read the bumper sticker on the jalopy in front of me. "I love wind power and would happily give it every bit of support I could if you would only get off the freaking road," I said to myself, indicating a change to the right lane and mashing the gas in our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. Wind power would have to wait.

Hellfire and brimstone burst out of this SUV's tailpipe at almost any rpm, including idle, but the real fun starts when the throttle is wide open. Ridiculous amounts of power, 470 horses to be exact, rocket this four-wheel-drive, over-5000-pound Jeep down the street. In a straight line, it's as fun as you would expect it be. Where the car is really surprising is the turns. Torsional stiffness was improved by 146 percent over the 2010 model and it shows. While it's not difficult for Joe DeMatio to fall asleep in a car, to catnap in a Hemi-powered tank, making its way around a track, being driven by novices, is quite the feat.

It might not be that most sophisticated car, but I'll join my colleagues in saying that the new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is BADASS.

Chris Nelson, Road Test Editor

As Phil stated, the Grand Cherokee SRT8 is one of the most impressive vehicles I've driven from Chrysler. This Jeep was exceptional on many fronts from visual to performance.

Note to user, to really get a full exhaust sound effect that Chris mentioned above, I'd suggest lowering the windows, opening the roof, and slowing your speed as you are about to enter a tunnel, and then dropping the hammer! OMG!!! I think I made more noise at Metro Airport than the Delta jets! I'm questioning my desire for a BMW X5 now.

Kelly Murphy, Creative director

Before you question the rationality of a high-performance SUV, listen to the muscle-car-like engine noise of this Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. Look at the terrific, burly exterior design. And finally, sit inside and step on the thoroughly addictive throttle. The engine note under load is incredible, and full-throttle shifts are uncompromisingly fierce. This Grand Cherokee is a serious performance machine -- Chrysler says the SRT8 will hit 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and tops out at 160 mph. The best part, though, is that this could be your only vehicle. It has the grunt and moves of a sports car, yet seats five people in comfort and has a huge cargo area. With appropriate tires and the standard all-wheel-drive system, you could even conquer a blizzard. I have no hesitation in admitting that I really, really want this Jeep.

On Saturday, my girlfriend and I took the Grand Cherokee SRT8 to the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit. With rides like Chevrolet Bel Airs, chopped 1932 Fords, and even a Mercedes-Benz SLS gracing Woodward, I didn't expect the Jeep to draw much attention -- but it did. Almost everywhere we went, people asked me to "rev it up!" and "light 'em up." Bystanders came up to tell me how much they loved the Jeep and ask all sorts of questions: "Those wheels are stock?" "It comes with Brembos?" "When does it go on sale?" According to Woodward attendees, the Grand Cherokee is "sick," "mean," "awesome," and "looks like a Porsche Cayenne." I agree with the strangers on every count, and will add that I think a base price of just $55K is a bargain for a vehicle with this much style, performance, and practicality.

Jake Holmes, Associate Web Editor

This is definitely one of the coolest cars I've driven in a long time. Despite its many faults, I loved the first-generation Grand Cherokee SRT8, and the new one has even more power, looks even better, and most important, is more refined on public streets and is easier to drive smoothly around a racetrack.

When this SRT8 was parked in my driveway last night, I told my wife that this would probably be my daily driver if we were to suddenly become flush with money. However, after installing the child seats for my daughters, I'm not so sure about that -- because the back seats are so far behind the rear door opening, it's hard to load the rear-facing infant into her seat.

Oh well, an SRT Grand Cherokee would just have to be Daddy's toy. It's no BMW X5 M around a racetrack, but it's close, and close is good enough for me when you're talking about saving $30K or so for something that looks and sounds so amazing.

Rusty Blackwell, Copy Editor

Chrysler has gone full-bore with its SRT program, with SRT8 models of the Grand Cherokee SUV, the 300 and Charger sedans, and the Challenger coupe. The most incongruous of the lot might seem to be the Grand Cherokee - after all, what's the purpose of an SUV if you can't take it off road? The easy answer is that 90 percent of the folks who buy SUVs never take them on anything more challenging than a graded dirt road, so giving the Grand Cherokee the SRT treatment is really not so illogical after all.

My colleagues have sung the praises of the Grand Cherokee SRT8's powertrain and handling - it makes a pretty impressive bit of noise, punches you in the back with its accelerative abilities, and doesn't even feel out of place on a racetrack. Its upgraded Brembo brakes scrub off speed in a hurry, but they are a little touchy at low speeds, such as in a parking lot or in heavy traffic. Also at low speeds, the steering effort is heavier than in a regular GC, but it lightens up as the speedometer needle moves up. The appropriate response to both of the above observations, of course, is to drive this SUV as it's meant to be driven - with enthusiasm and at speed.

Amy Skogstrom, Managing Editor

Shy of towing a trailer, I feel as if I've done it all with the Grand Cherokee SRT8. That isn't an exaggeration, either. I've flogged it around road courses at Willow Springs and Waterford Hills, wrung it through the canyons north of Hollywood, and now, spent a weekend using it as a pedestrian daily driver. Unlike its predecessor, the SRT8 excelled in both roles. So much so, in fact, that I seriously considered calling in sick on Monday just to have another 24 hours with the thing.

As fun as the SRT8 is on the track, the biggest surprise is just how usable it is as a daily driver -- especially when you stack it against its predecessor. The last SRT8 banged heads, bruised organs, and as Phil attests to, was nothing short of cantankerous on Michigan roads. The 2012 model is an absolute breath of fresh air.

The only thing I haven't done with an SRT8 is achieve decent fuel economy. That's not Chrysler's fault (it did add cylinder deactivation to this new 6.4-liter V-8); it's my own. When the SRT8 sounds so good and feels so great at speed, it's extremely difficult to keep from inching your right foot closer to the floorboards...

Evan McCausland, Associate Web Editor

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/editors_notebook/1109_2012_jeep_grand_cherokee_srt8/viewall.html#ixzz1btQhYtMR

Found the link/fun article I was looking for that comments on the 825 watt/ 19 speaker Harman Karden stereo, etc. Shame they couldn't get it on a road course, seems that's where the new truck shines over the old, not the 1/4 mile.....  "Zombies" could be construed for the OWS crowd? Smiley Anyone see the movie ZombieLand?

2012 Jeep Cherokee SRT8: Your Only Chance For Survival!!!!!!!!

13196549381526122176565_0def2675a9_z.jpg

Our automotive buddy and Ridelust contributor Scott Vandekerckhove pinged me about a story he did for Modern Mopar Magazine. It’s about the new 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and well… let’s just say that this new Jeep is one hammer of an SUV that’s ready to take on the world’s best!

Try to expand your vision of the future for just a bit. Imagine a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by warfare where buildings lie in ruin and vegetation has begun to spread wildly.

Streets and highways are riddled with abandoned vehicles vacated by their passengers in an escape from sheer terror. Something very bad happened here.

You ignored the evacuation warnings and sought refuge deep within the bowels of your home. You would have fled with your neighbors, but they were stricken with a virus that turned them into zombies. They’re out there now. Waiting to eat you alive. And due to depleted resources, the time has come for you to make your escape.

13196549531426122746114_7e8b1d4c39.jpg

It won’t be easy. You know you can’t outrun them for long on foot, so you’d better get to some wheels quickly.

But not just any vehicle will do the job. You need something special. It has to be of considerable size to accommodate yourself and other survivors. You’ll require space for weapons and food; the ability to tow something; and enough traction to pull you through the decaying landscape that you’re certain to face once mobile.

Not to mention, this thing better haul major ass! And it must be able to meander through tight turns all while stopping on a dime.

This is a tough resume for any vehicle to fill. But, hey, this is a tough world.

Then it dawns on you; there’s that local Jeep dealership a half mile up the road that might still have what you need. It’s a risky proposition, but you’re out of options.

Armed with nothing more than the shoes on your feet and an ironclad will to live, you kick open the front door of your house and make a run for it. Sprinting like Carl Lewis, you miraculously avoid the people-eaters and arrive at the Jeep store in record time.

Once inside, you locate their key closet and blast through the door with the force of an NFL linebacker. Your sense of urgency has paid off.

And almost as if divine intervention has taken hold of the moment, a pair of keys, labeled “SRT”, conveniently dangle from the wall.

You were a car guy before Armageddon, and you still are now, damn it! Seeing those three letters provides for the first real sense of hope since all Hell broke loose in the world.

With two clicks of the remote start button, you hear the mighty 6.4L HEMI V8 come to life in the showroom. A Grand Cherokee SRT8 awaits your arrival; full of fuel and ready for battle.

You jump in the driver seat, grip the steering wheel with white knuckles, and mash the accelerator to hear the beast roar. A smile gleams across your face as pure V8 bliss washes away the dread of this new world. Things are going to be alright.

Crashing through the glass doors of the dealership, you blast off into the abyss of destruction on a mission to save those that remain. And at the helm of this Jeep, you’ll stand a fighting chance.

13196549766976122758126_5902e7a9f9_z-1.jpg

Back to Reality

In my eyes, the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is indeed the perfect vehicle for a post-apocalyptic world. But thankfully, for our test purposes, we were able to avoid the zombies and societal carnage.

I spent a full week with it, having logged nearly 600 miles behind the wheel. I drove it everywhere I went and the experience was beyond gratifying. You’d be a fool to feel otherwise.

This thing is all about excess. Everything in and around it screams over the top. I mean, just think about it – a two-and-a-half-ton-plus SUV with 470 horsepower and 465 lb/ft of torque! Massive high performance Brembo brakes sitting behind even more massive 20 inch wheels and tires. There’s an astonishing amount of body work at all ends that makes onlookers stare in amazement. The interior is lavishly outfitted with top notch materials and an incredible attention to detail. And a stereo lurks inside that will surely leave your ear drums with something to remember. I just don’t know where to end, or to begin for that matter.

She’s Got The Look

The exterior of the Grand Cherokee SRT8 is nothing short of stunning. Derived from the mainstream bloodlines of the Laredo, Limited, and Overland models, this version takes it to an entirely new level.

The SRT8 appears positively militant, sitting an inch lower than its lesser models, complemented by a full onslaught of changes to the body and shoes. If this was the apocalypse, anything evil would be deathly afraid to even approach this truck.

13196550088526122801008_46b82b68af_z.jpg

The already-brawny wheel arches are further accented by new body-color moldings that give all four corners an even bulkier look. Undoubtedly a necessary change to create balance with the monstrous 20 inch wheels and tires.

The wheels have been a lightning rod for criticism amongst SRT fans, but if you ask me, they look incredible. They’re far more intricate than the traditional 5-spokes of old thanks to machined voids of space in all 10 legs of the wheel. These babies must be expensive to make (and replace, God forbid).

13196550357866122271335_c56e62d979_z.jpg

Out back, the signature center-mounted exhaust pipes from the last generation have been moved out to their conventional corners to accommodate owners who want to tow. Buyers with active lifestyles (road racers, jet skiers, dirt bikers, etc.) will love to know that they can pull a full 5,000 lbs. behind this Jeep. Towing was largely impractical in the last gen.

13196550578946122276981_5edf71babc_z.jpg

Other notable changes to the body include a liftgate-mounted spoiler (pictured above) that reduces drag and improves downforce, as well as side sill cladding.

But there’s zero doubt that designers spent most of their efforts up front at the business end of the vehicle. Sure, the signature 7-slot Jeep grille remains, but that’s about it.

13196551082406122827202_e4fa6a15a4_z.jpg

The surrounding front fascia has been fitted with functional brake ducts to cool the gigantic 15 inch rotors up front (the largest brakes in SRT’s entire fleet). Up above the ducts lie individual LED strips that are, on one hand, elegant, and on the other hand, intimidating. Be it in broad day light or in the pitch black of night, the LEDs provide for one hell of a presence creeping up behind you in traffic. People will know when you’re there.

If the LEDs aren’t imposing enough, the sinister hood should do the trick.

Sculptors carved two massive scoops out of the aluminum hood that would surely make any box of Raisin Bran cereal become insanely jealous (Get it? Two Scoops – HAHA!). SRT says the scoops are functional heat extractors. I look at them more as soul catchers of the drivers you’ll end up passing. It’s the baddest looking hood on any vehicle since the last-generation Viper.

13196550774716122290125_f07edb7453_z.jpg

Collectively, this Grand Cherokee makes peoples’ heads turn on a swivel. You can’t help but be mesmerized by it at all angles. SUVs should not look like this, but thankfully this one does.

While I was driving on Interstate-696, a police car transporting a prisoner passed me on the right hand side to take a closer look. At first, both cops in the front set their eyes on the Jeep. Then, as they continued to pass, the prisoner handcuffed in the back contorted his body to get a look as well. He seemed more concerned with the SRT8 than he did his own freedom. True story!

Superior Interior With All The Trimmings

Make no mistake about it; this is an SUV aiming at competitors way above its price class. And nowhere else on the vehicle is that more evident than the interior.

The entire Grand Cherokee line has been widely praised for its robust interior. Fit and finish, materials used, ergonomics, and overall appearance are arguably at the top of its class already. The SRT8, however, ups the ante considerably. One look inside and you will know what I’m talking about.

13196551404526122293691_a98afca3ef_z.jpg

The highly-bolstered seats are covered in rich leather that feel wonderfully soft to the touch and even smell good. High class French-style stitching borders the leather seams to provide a really stellar look.

That leather and stitching continue on to the center armrest, upper portions of the doors, and even the dashboard which further oozes of luxury. Everywhere you touch is supple and upscale. Even genuine carbon fiber accents adorn the dash and doors to let you know this is high-end stuff. What a stark contrast to the Chrysler interiors of old that had been de-contented and clad in tupperware during the Daimler era. A welcome change, no doubt.

The seats are both heated and ventilated, which will resonate really well with buyers that see all four seasons in a year. You can keep your butt and back warm in the winter, all while keeping your nether regions nice and cool during the scorching summer months – a feature that male buyers will appreciate most.

You can even keep your hands warm too, thanks to the new heated steering wheel that now has a flat bottom design. It feels so thick in your hands that grip is never a concern. The steering column both tilts and telescopes electronically, so getting the perfect position is no problem.

13196551640826122299309_259a7cd348_z.jpg

Also connected to the backside of the wheel are standard audio controls and all new paddle shifters. The shifters are great for grabbing and holding gears without having to remove your hands from the wheel – a feature that allows you to keep that big HEMI breathing fire up in the top of the rev band.

Beyond all that, my loaner came chock-full of options including a power liftgate, blind spot monitoring and rear cross path detection, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, and a dual-pane panoramic sunroof. Not to mention, a 6.5-inch touch screen radio with Bluetooth communication and Garmin-based Navigation. There is some serious technology going on inside here.

But in a stroke of sheer genius, SRT now offers a sound system that is sure to rattle your cages. If you thought the Kicker Surround Sound system in the last Grand Cherokee SRT8 was good, think again. The new hardware provides for a night and day difference (read on to the next section if you’re interested in hearing more).

Bottom line: this is the best interior of any vehicle in Chrysler’s entire lineup. The feel and appearance of the materials used here rival those of any other SUV at any price. It is that good.

If there was anything to desire, it would be the 8.4-inch touchscreen found in the new Charger and 300. That head unit alone would make the center stack absolutely perfect. All in due time, though, as I am quite sure it’s on the way soon.

13196552143036122304143_248d0a830e_z.jpg

The Stereo. My GAWD, The Stereo!

Let’s get something straight right away. The phrase, “good for a factory stereo system”, simply does not apply here.

It is all too often that a stock stereo will falter at or near the peak of its volume band. Tweeters start to distort and get scratchy, while subwoofers reverberate and make for muddy bass notes. No such luck here.

Count them with me, folks. 19. Yes, 19 speakers are strategically planted within the cabin of the Grand Cherokee SRT8 to provide for what I can personally guarantee you is the most crushing sound experience you have ever laid ear-witness to in a factory built vehicle (see image below). At full volume, 825 watts of pure power surge through the interior with such a ferocious tone that most of you reading this sentence probably wouldn’t be able to tolerate it.

13196552763296122307027_06972d6d64_z.jpg

Every layer of recorded sound tears through your ear canals with unprecedented clarity and force. This system, supplied by Harman Kardon, absolutely thrives at the top of the volume band. Crank it up all the way and you will be floored by what you hear.

I threw everything I could at these speakers. Even the most punishing, sadistic tracks of thrash metal that will render most stereos helpless at only half volume. The Grand Cherokee handled it with ease. It felt more like being in the front row of a metal concert instead of sitting in a car. I should have probably been wearing earplugs, yet it was pure symphony.

13196553114006122853114_273831dceb_z.jpg

On-Road Performance

Driving the Grand Cherokee SRT8 provides for an experience that defies conventional logic. At 5,150 lbs. of curb weight, sitting fairly high up off the ground, this hulk of an SUV exhibits movements that it simply should not be capable of. Yes, the feel of sheer mass is undeniable, but it never feels out of shape. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.

Think of familiar roadways that you frequent each day. Imagine those tight turns or long, sweeping approaches at freeway interchanges marred by pesky warnings of maximum speed. If it says 45 mph, it feels like you can comfortably double it behind the wheel of the SRT8. And it does so in remarkably linear fashion.

If you’re looking to push it even further, simply turn the Select Track dial to Sport or Track Mode, and the vehicle stiffens up even more. Heightened levels of dampening and compression make sure that the big Jeep sticks to the ground like glue (as if it didn’t already before). You feel the additional stiffness instantly as your head begins to bounce a bit more.

6122856926_37f090ca2a_z.jpg

Overall, I would describe the Jeep as feeling like a two-and-a-half-ton bicep. And it’s constantly flexing in a show of strength. The wheels and tires feel inextricably linked to the unibody and suspension like connective tissue. There is absolutely no disconnect from the steering wheel to the drive wheels. It will amaze you.

And while the road feel could certainly be described as “very firm”, it doesn’t sacrifice comfort. Perhaps you’ll feel bumps and potholes a bit more than usual, but it is never jarring. In fact, it’s a pleasure to drive.

The Power To Move You And Stop You

Engine and brakes. The two most important parts of any performance vehicle.

The Grand Cherokee SRT8 comes ready for battle at both ends.

Underneath that menacing hood lies one of the single greatest naturally aspirated V8s on the market today. The 6.4L HEMI is one seriously potent powerplant capable of incredible outputs. At 470 hp and 465 lb/ft of torque, that’s a gain of 50 hp and 45 lb/ft over the outgoing 6.1L HEMI V8.

6122320937_430641c4b7_z.jpg

The power gains are certainly impressive, but it’s where this new engine makes its power that shines most. Thanks to variable valve timing and an active intake manifold, 90% of the HEMI’s peak torque is available all the way from 2,800 RPM up to 6,000 RPM. The manifold, now with long and short runners, ensures that the engine never starves for air. The swell of power that results is simply phenomenal.

You can ease into the throttle or hammer it as you ride a tidal wave of torque and horsepower through the entire rev band. It’s never coarse or biting. Instead, it is refined and flowing with grace as that All-American V8 growl emanates through the exhaust system. You’ll be addicted just as I was; incessantly exploring the range of massive grunt at your right foot.

Chrysler claims a 0-to-60 time of 4.8 seconds and a top speed of 160mph. Those are earth shattering numbers in any vehicle, especially an SUV of this size.

In an effort to quench the HEMI’s thirst though, engineers have utilized Fuel Saver Technology this time around (formerly known as MDS, or Multi Displacement System). It will cease fuel supply to four of the eight cylinders during light acceleration and cruising speeds, which Chrysler says yielded a 13% gain in highway fuel economy.

The EPA rates this SRT8 at 12 MPG in the city and 18 MPG on the highway. I averaged 13.7 MPG during my week with the truck – right around where I expected to be. It may not be the 40 or 50 MPG so many buyers are looking for these days, but you gotta pay to play in the performance game. And my, my can this thing play.

But the most awe-inspiring performance feature of this vehicle is unquestionably the brakes.

Four-piston Brembos sit around 13.8-inch rotors in the rear; returning hardware from the last generation. Up front, however, things have changed dramatically. Enormous 15-inch rotors are squeezed by all-new 6-piston Brembos (pictured below) that bring this SUV down in a hurry.

6122325775_35ba4f703b_z.jpg

The extreme mass of the Grand Cherokee is no match for the front brakes. They lock down with such incredible force that you can’t believe how fast they can stop this thing. There’s virtually zero fade and they never once complained with heavy inputs. According to Chrysler, 60-to-0 comes in just 116 feet. That may be a conservative estimate.

Regardless, both the engine and brakes work harmoniously at providing the speed and stopping force that buyers want. It is staggering how well they execute.

At The Drag Strip

6122333239_7f779815ce_z.jpg

Unfortunately, much to my chagrin, we couldn’t get to a road course. So we had to settle for the strip – a vital test that all performance cars must go through.

SRT claims this Jeep will run mid-13’s. And under the right conditions, I know it’s more than doable and repeatable.

The 85 degree heat, however, had us locked in the high 13’s. Couple the heat with 5,150 lbs. of curb weight (5,350 with me in the car), and you’re fighting a lot of mass too. We tried every plausible configuration with the Select Track System. Auto Mode, Sport Mode, then Track Mode. We alternated between simply keeping it in DRIVE, and using the new paddle shifters.

6122337633_d12d4a95eb_z.jpg

Our best time was 13.717@101.54mph using Track Mode and just letting the transmission work on its own. I did use the shifters twice in Track Mode and ran both 13.73 and 13.74 consecutively. You gotta be quick, making sure not to let the HEMI smack the rev limiter in first gear. If that happens, your time is toast. I’d say your best bet is to leave it in DRIVE and punch it. The paddles will help more on a road course when you need to keep the revs up in turns or in moments of rapid deceleration.

There’s not much magic to launching the Jeep. No burnouts or brake torquing needed. Just wait for the green and go! The AWD system managing torque underneath provides for some of the most tenacious grip of any vehicle on earth. You’ll feel the truck kick up a bit off the line, then the front tires claw into the ground like a savage animal.

*Just for good measure, here’s a video of me running 13.81@101 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R8USsgvvD9E

Off-Road Performance

This Jeep is not your ordinary Grand Cherokee capable of slow and deliberate movements over rocks and tree stumps, or through a river stream. No, no. The SRT8 belongs exclusively on concrete and asphalt.

Don’t get the idea of heading back into the woods to carve up some timber for the fire. Stick to carving up your favorite twisty roads and blasting on to the highway at warp speed. Better yet, get this bad boy to a race track. That’s where it begs to be put through the motions.

Taking On The World’s Best

The high performance SUV/CUV market is fairly limited. Battling this Jeep will be Germany’s finest including the BMW X5M and X6M, Mercedes Benz ML63 AMG, and Porsche Cayenne Turbo. And while all four of them do hold marginal power advantages over the Jeep SRT8, you will pay considerably more cash to man their ships.

Starting prices for the competitors list out as follows…

BMW X5M – $86,400
    BMW X6M – $89,500
    Mercedes Benz ML63 AMG – $93,465
    Porsche Cayenne Turbo – $107,100

The Jeep SRT8 begins at $55,295 (including destination). If my math serves me correctly, that’s a starting price of $30,000 less than the next closest competitor. Staggering, don’t you think?

Granted, the one I tested priced out at $60,480. But that still seems to be the steal of the century if a hyper-SUV is what your heart desires. And, in all honesty, I’d say the Jeep beats all of them in the looks department, hands down!

Come With Me If You Want To Live

I began this review by painting a not-so pretty picture of the future, where this heroic SUV is your vessel to salvation. A bit extreme? Well, perhaps the zombie and Armageddon-like references were a stretch. But think of it more as a microcosm of what vehicles in this realm face today.

The shift in the market is clear. People are becoming more and more focused on the missionary role of transportation that a vehicle provides. Point A to Point B. That is it! That is what people are having and choosing to settle for. Cars have become almost sterile. It’s an apocalypse in and of itself.

But there remains a significant portion of car buyers out there that will not lie down and die. I’m talking to all you gear heads, car guys, and automotive enthusiasts out there. You know who you are. There’s still hope in this world. I implore you to stand up and be counted!

SRT is a standalone brand now, making it clear that the resistance has formed for good. The Grand Cherokee sits proudly alongside its other SRT brethren; the Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, and Chrysler 300C. Soon, they will be joined by the car that started it all – the Dodge Viper. From there, who knows what other SRT variants will arise. One thing’s for sure though; this is a lineup poised to take on the world’s best performance cars at a fraction of the cost.

So while the world may not be ending just yet, rest assured that SRT has you covered until that time comes. And if there is any doubt as to whether or not they plan on sticking around, just have a chat with the guys who build them. They’re the ones with their arms folded in the picture below.

6122894536_02aef14493_z.jpg

http://www.ridelust.com/2012-jeep-cherokee-srt8-your-only-chance-for-survival/

Thx for the very thoroughly report. Nice to read. kiss
    The SRT8 starts growing on me
    indecision

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Stradale, I can't find the article I believe it was from Insideline.com but now that I looked at again seems to be positive.  If I find it will post it.

--
    Happy Driving

Conny - My pleasure. I liked it from the beginning but it's also "growing" on me too.

Ron - The below "Insideline" points out some of the negatives of the new truck. Overall it's a positive review but does mention not being happy w/ the 5-speed tranny. There were sources that mentioned a new 8-speed but there's conflicting info about that now, guess we'll see what happens.....  It also mentions the fact that the new truck is much more expensive than the previous Jeep SRT8...They do seem to like it better than the previous truck ie) "this new Grand Cherokee SRT8 is a big bunch better than it was. It handles better, stops better, drives better and rides better. It's also built better and is more comfortable than the truck it replaces".

Test drove a FX35 & and FX50, handling was very car like, liked the engine/exhaust sound,  LOVED the interior quality/design but it's really small inside, would never work for family trips,,, there's almost zero room behind the rear seats, enough room for a golf bag but that's about it,, it's really like a tall 4 wheel drive car..

Slalom mph even w/ a BMW M3---- .90 g's-- 112ft stops from 60mph ----13.4sec 1/4 mile for a 6ft tall,  5000lb SUV... For the price that sounds pretty impressive...

------------------------

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Full Test and Video

Ferris Bueller Would Drive One

By Scott Oldham, Editor in Chief | Published Sep 20, 2011

Good advice is hard to come by in this world. But here's a golden nugget. Do something you love with your life, because first you're 20. Then you're 40. Then you're dead.

Too morbid? Then allow us to quote the great philosopher Ferris Bueller, who once said, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around every once in awhile you could miss it."

That's the mindset behind the 470-horsepower, 6.4-liter, 160-mph, 5,000-pound, $60,000, 12-mpg 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. This muscled-up SUV is about enjoying today, right this very moment. It's about wanting, reaching and grabbing. Pure automotive hedonism. And we absolutely love it.

Just the fact that Jeep will sell you such an automotive delectation in this age of four-buck gas and the politicized green movement is exactly what we're talking about. Your neighbor, your Oprah and your wallet may be telling you to get a Prius, but your soul wants this beast.

Let's go for a ride.

The Track Numbers
    The last time we drove a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 we spent an afternoon flogging it on the big track at Willow Springs Raceway. And we went home impressed with the Jeep's speed, stability and agility.

This time around we stayed away from the racetrack. Instead we spent two weeks with the Jeep doing the commute thing, the mountain road thing, the test track thing and the dry lake lets-get-it-dirty thing. After all that, we're still impressed.

This 5,000-pound behemoth lit up our test track. Jeep claims a 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds, a quarter-mile time in the mid-13-second range, 0.90g on the skid pad and 60 to zero in 116 feet. And for once a manufacturer's performance claims are right on.

At our test track, our dark gray Jeep hit 60 mph in 5.1 seconds with its traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) and it tore through the quarter-mile in 13.4 seconds at 102 mph. Then it circled our skid pad at 0.87g and wowed us with a 67.2-mph run through the slalom.

It also stopped from 60 mph in 116 feet on the very first run. Then it got better, stopping from 60 in 112 feet on its fourth try.

Impressive? No doubt. But also a bit disappointing. The previous-generation Grand Cherokee SRT8 was about a tenth quicker to 60. Turns out an extra 50 hp can't quite overcome the new Jeep's extra 500 pounds.

We're also a bit disappointed this isn't the All-American German Slayer we were hoping for. Although it's no doubt a serious performer, the Jeep, which carries a base price of $54,470, is easily outperformed by the big-buck German muscle SUVs. Both the $87,000 BMW X5 M and the $107,000 Porsche Cayenne Turbo will smoke it in a straight line, and the Porsche outhandles the Jeep easily.

Real Competition
    In its price range, the Jeep's only real performance competition is the 390-hp Infiniti FX50 S. Now, the FX doesn't perform quite as well as the Grand Cherokee SRT8, but it's not exactly left behind either. Again, the Cherokee's as-tested weight of 5,256 pounds and the tall gearing of its antiquated five-speed automatic transmission hold it back.

The Infiniti has less motor, but it weighs "just" 4,621 pounds and has a seven-speed transmission. It hits 60 mph in 5.5 seconds (5.2 seconds with rollout), and finishes the quarter-mile in 13.7 seconds at 101.5 mph.

When it comes to agility and road holding, however, the Grand Cherokee sets a new standard at this price point. Its 67.2-mph run through the slalom is essentially dead even with a BMW M3. This big biatch turns. Especially in Track mode.

Track mode is the most aggressive setting in the Jeep's five-mode Selec-Track system. Controlled by a large knob on the console, the Selec-Track system integrates with all systems that can affect performance — stability control, suspension damping, shift logic, torque split, rear LSD operation and more. Largely, its management of torque split and suspension damping yield the biggest influence in control.

The five settings are Auto, Sport, Track, Snow or Tow (it can pull 5,000 pounds). In Sport and Track Mode the truck's dampers are stiffened for more control, and its all-wheel-drive system sends more power to the rear wheels for additional agility. In Snow the torque split is 50/50 front to rear, but in Sport and Track it's 35/65.

Mountain Road

But on the street, the differences between Auto, Sport and Track settings are minor. Truth is, it doesn't really matter which mode you choose; the Jeep SRT8 takes to a mountain road like Hef to healthy blondes.

Body roll is very well controlled. Steering is intuitive and has good weighting. And turn-in is very quick. Jeep's engineers have dialed a slight bit of understeer into the truck's cornering behavior to keep you feeling confident, even at a serious pace with the ESC turned completely off. Finding the grip limits of the Jeep's 20-inch Pirelli P Zeros is fun, not terrifying.

And the AWD kills any dreams of power oversteer. Once you get this big beast turned, you just wood the throttle and hang on. If you drive it off the road backward, then you've mistakenly put it in Reverse. Even in Track mode its stability is remarkable.

But the best part may be under the hood. This 6.4-liter Hemi V8 is further proof of the power of the pushrod. It makes 470 hp at 6,000 rpm and 465 pound-feet of torque at 4,300 rpm. And it sounds as if Apollo tuned the exhaust. (Um, he's the god of music.)

Our only real dynamic complaint is the transmission's inability to match revs on the downshifts. Even when you use its well-placed paddle shifters, you get crude old-school downshifts that throw weight forward and shock the Jeep's drivetrain.

We complained about this same shortcoming during our flogging at Willow Springs last month. Jeff Roselli, the Jeep's lead development engineer, told us it is a "Chrysler Safety Office" issue. Apparently Chrysler's policy is to refuse to open the electronic throttle unless a request for more torque has been made by the driver. In other words, the lawyers win again.

Living With the Beast
    That aside, this new Grand Cherokee SRT8 is a big bunch better than it was. It handles better, stops better, drives better and rides better. It's also built better and is more comfortable than the truck it replaces.

Remember that commute thing? Well, if you can live with the gas mileage (we averaged just 12.2 mpg during our two weeks, which includes two dirty dry lake flogs) this is great daily driver. It feels solid. Rides like a German performance sedan. And it has a luxurious quality missing from its predecessor.

Sure there are still a couple of plastic bits you wish were actual metal, but Jeep has gone the extra mile when creating this interior. The gauges are just right. The carbon-fiber trim is real. Heated front and rear seats and steering wheel are standard. The well-shaped sport seats are also power-adjustable, ventilated and covered in a suede/Napa leather combo that feels rich.

The only miscue is the chrome strakes added to the floor of the cargo area. They're a nice visual touch, but we found them to be easily scratched by stuff. After just two weeks they looked beat.

Other standard stuff includes a nav system, satellite radio, bi-xenon headlamps, bright pedals, the SRT Track Experience and power heated memory multifunction mirrors, because we all need those.

Paying for the Beast
    Trouble is, all the added spiff comes at a price. The old Jeep Cherokee SRT8 started at about $41,000. That's nearly $15,000 less than this new version. Then you add the options to our test truck, which include a panoramic sunroof, a 19-speaker Harman Kardon audio system, a power liftgate, a blind-spot monitoring system and additional leather, and the sticker price climbs to $60,780. Back in 2007 we tested a loaded example that cost about $45,000. Sure, the new one is better than the old one, but $16,000 better?

Apparently we're not the only ones complaining about the price. Ralph V. Gilles, president and CEO of Chrysler's SRT brand, wrote on a recent Web chat that the automaker plans on "decoupling" some of the features to reduce the price on the high-performance SUV.

"Grand Cherokee pricing has been sensitive," Gilles acknowledged. "We understand."

"We will look at decoupling some of the features in the future as the usual new product surge subsides," Gilles wrote. "We will start with immediately decoupling the DVD and sunroof."

Whatever. Life is too short to worry about money. This thing is cool. Make more, please.

2012_jeep_grand-cherokee-srt8_actf34_ft_810112_1600.jpg

2012_jeep_grand-cherokee-srt8_actf34_ft_810116_1600.jpg

2012_jeep_grand-cherokee-srt8_actr34_ft_810112_1600.jpg

2012_jeep_grand-cherokee-srt8_r34_ft_810111_815.jpg

2012_jeep_grand-cherokee-srt8_whl_ft_810111_815.jpg

2012_jeep_grand-cherokee-srt8_crg_ft_810111_815.jpg

2012_jeep_grand-cherokee-srt8_fint_ft_810111_815.jpg

2012_jeep_grand-cherokee-srt8_ip_ft_810111_815.jpg

2012_jeep_grand-cherokee-srt8_front_ft_810111_815.jpg

2012_jeep_grand-cherokee-srt8_prf_ft_810111_815.jpg2012_jeep_grand-cherokee-srt8_f34_ft_810113_815.jpg

http://www.insideline.com/jeep/grand-cherokee-srt-8/2012/2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-full-test-and-video.html

New review:

• DECEMBER 10, 2011

Jeep's Great Big Beast of Solid Grace

Hand me Melville's condor quill and Vesuvius as an inkpot. The 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is one very angry whale.

Horsepower addicts will want to know: Is this, the Chrysler SRT division's riff on Jeep's midsize SUV, fast? Even though straight-line speed is not the most interesting thing about this vehicle, the answer is oh, yeah, immoderately so. With a 6.4-liter, 470-horsepower Hemi V8 in the powder magazine and a series of very smart clutches and differentials delivering torque to all four half-shafts, the SRT8 hurls its 5,200-pound bulk to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and barrels through the quarter-mile just fat of 13 seconds. By those metrics, the hyper-Cherokee is the murdering, harpoon-straightening, bang-for-buck champion in performance SUVs, as fast as or faster than the pricier Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG, Porsche Cayenne S, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, BMW X5 xDrive 35i or Audi Q7.

But that's not the most interesting thing.

As for the company's claim that the sport-ute circuits the 12.8-mile Nurburgring Nordschliefe in 8 minutes and 49 seconds, well, that's certainly noteworthy. That's approximately as quick as a Dodge Viper lapping the 'Ring in 2003 and, I assure you, that felt fast then. I would also mildly observe that the sound of the Cherokee at full whoop—a dark-soaring and portentous cackle, an ill-boding pressure wave like a string of distant daisy-cutters—is exceedingly pleasant. Punch the throttle from a traffic light and men for blocks around will involuntarily reach for their wallets.

Still, not most interesting.

This is obviously a super-niche-y, deeply indulgent vehicle—a boat-towing Jeep SUV that accelerates like a Ford Mustang GT? I mean, how late are you to the bass tournament, really? It also gets reprehensible fuel economy (12/18 mpg, city/highway) even though the big overhead-valve V8 uses new cylinder-deactivation technology. You could blame the inefficiency on the truck's aging five-speed automatic, or you could blame the air-brutalizing front aspect, with its seven-slat Jeep grille, bumper breather intake and enormous brake ducts. This thing's lantern jaw makes Dick Tracy's chin look weak.

And there are trade-offs. Many of the Jeep-iest off-roading pieces on the Grand Cherokee Overland edition, such as the chassis-lifting air suspension, the two-speed transfer case, the very well chosen mud-and-snow tires, and the Selec-Terrain 4x4 system, are incompatible with the SRT8's track-focused mission.

In the place of Selec-Terrain, with its preprogrammed Sand/Mud and Rock settings, you will find the Selec-Trac rotary controller, with settings for Sport and Track. These settings put a keen asphalt edge to the adaptive suspension; throttle, steering and transmission response; stability and traction-control thresholds; and the center- and rear-differential behavior.

In Normal mode, the multiclutch center diff apportions 65% of engine torque to the rear axle. In the Sport and Track modes, increasingly higher percentages of twist are shunted to the rear wheels and the stability intervention loosens its grip.

Now it becomes what it wants to be: a squat, low-slung, all-wheel-drive luxury race truck, an Audi with a love of knife fights and Toby Keith.

In addition to the center diff, the electronically controlled rear differential provides side-to-side torque vectoring. If the g-sensors indicate the truck isn't turning hard enough to match the driver's steering input, the inside rear wheel will brake slightly, directing more torque to the outside wheel and helping to pivot the truck.

All this signal processing bludgeons physics as we know it into quivering submission. It is just weird to throw this hunk of iron into a tight bend and have it actually go more or less where it's pointed. There is one initial, heart-seizing moment of load transfer and body roll, but then the chassis hunkers into its stance and off you go. Picking up the throttle with some steering input only makes the thing corner harder. It's like an SUV with ground effects.

If you make a lot of sudden steering moves, the SRT8 will eventually succumb to its own superincumbent mass and the rebounding forces will unstick the tires. Then the stability control will reprove you with a chorus of brake chattering. But the limits are simply preposterously high.

I'd be remiss if I didn't also note the giant 15-inch, six-pot Brembo brakes that gleam through the front alloys. Fully engaged, the Brembos arrest the speeding truck as if you'd forgotten to untie it from the dock.

Now it starts to get interesting, because—as the SRT8 proves—we're getting to the point where vehicle type doesn't really matter. If the computer programming is supple enough and the on-board processing is fast enough, engineers can now virtually nullify effects caused by vehicle height, weight, roll centers and center of mass. Throw enough code at it and you can get a Ferrari to drive great in the snow, an Audi A8 with Quattro to drift like a tail-happy Toyota Supra, and you can get an 80-foot sperm whale—I mean, a Jeep Grand Cherokee—to corner like a sport sedan. This is the vehicle version of Ray Kurzweil's singularity theory.

And still, that's not the most interesting thing.

This most interesting thing is that the Grand Cherokee is so utterly integrated into itself, so latticed with a sense of over-engineered structure and vested solidity. The interior materials are top notch. The deep-bolstered SRT8 front buckets are excellent. The interior quiet and cabin timbre belong to a European executive saloon. If this isn't the best-built American vehicle, you'll have to show me one better.

This soundness, which is notable in the standard Grand Cherokees, is magnified in the SRT8. The result sometimes feels less like a machine than like an organic whole, a huge, thick-skulled, powerful animal moving with equal menace and grace through its element. Not a rhino, nor clumsy elephant. A whale. Have you seen it?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204903804577082671773044262.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Certainly a great looking car with finally a good interior finish. But a 5 speed gearshift is completely unacceptable these days and with our european gasoline prices. The 8 gear will shave 2 liters per 100 km off all by itself, thereby increasing comfort and performace. Guess this will come with the new model year together with the larger navigation system. Worth the wait !Smiley

--

turbolite

found this comment by a US tester:

On the other hand, the Grand Cherokee's high curb weight can make it feel cumbersome on mountain roads, and that reality isn't aided by the arcane 5-speed transmission. The gearbox may shift smoothly, but in an era where smaller cars have moved on to 6-speed transmissions and some luxury cars are venturing into 7- and 8-speed setups, the Grand Cherokee's transmission does a disservice to both of its available powerplants. Jeep executives have mentioned that an 8-speed gearbox will eventually make its way into the lineup, and that won't come a moment too soon.....

The new Grand Cherokee has come a long way, but we won't see its true potential until it becomes endowed with the gearbox it deserves.

--

turbolite

I saw a black one today for the first time in person.  It looks really good nothing like the pictures, very solid looking and a mean stance.  It also sounded really awesome.  I am very impressed kiss.

--
    Happy Driving

So who ordered one yet? I would pick a white one if i were still in Canada without a doubt!

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

No white.  Black, Red, Gray and Silver.

--
    Happy Driving

Maybe white for next MY? White was available on the last Jeep SRT8.. I like black for my SUV's but white on the 2nd gen Jeep SRT8 would look sharp imo with the back interior and white stitching /embroidery.

...I've been waiting to hear some kind of confirmation on the 8-speed. First (beginning of 2011) read that the Jeep SRT8 was launching w/ the 8-speed & it was launched w/ the 5-speed. Then read rumors about ZF8HP trans, & also read that was untrue.. But even w/ the handicapped 5-speed the reviews of the whole vehicle have been glowing.

Some trans info:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

I stopped by the dealer around lunch time today smiley.  Of course not sure if it true or not but he said my the second half of 2012 Mopar will offer performance package to raise the power to 580 to 590hp.

need to wait and see.

--
    Happy Driving

Interesting offer indeed. I love high performance SUVs. kiss

Go for it, Ron...Daddy needs a little bit of fun too. smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

For the Jeep SRT8?  Would this performance package be covered under a factory warranty, you think? I guess so?  

580hp & new trans could make this beast the one to own...+100+hp to 580 would have to be something major, like a supercharger, no?

Sounds like you're seriously considering one???? 

STRADALE:

For the Jeep SRT8?  Would this performance package be covered under a factory warranty, you think? I guess so?  

580hp & new trans could make this beast the one to own...+100+hp to 580 would have to be something major, like a supercharger, no?

Sounds like you're seriously considering one???? 

Considering that Dodge announced their Chargers with Mopar performance package(RedLine) with 590hp it would be the same package for the jeep SRT8 as well which is a bolt-on supercharger.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/02/mopar-bringing-chrysler-200-super-s-dodge-charger-redline-to-de/

@RC- as soon as I see the perf package is true and 8-speed is available, I am on it Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

I've seen 2 Jeep SRT's on the road this past week. I REALLY Love they way it looks in person, very muscle truck looking, aggressive. Sorry for the horrible pic quality , took w/ my iphone while driving

IMG_2637[1].JPG

IMG_2638[1].JPG

IMG_2639[1].JPG

Stradale, what were you driving mate?

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

My family SUV - Dodge Durango Limited Hemi. 

We've put over 115k miles on it so been looking quite a while now for a new SUV/it's replacement.

Off-topic but also spotted this on the way home from the gun store couple of hours ago:

IMG_2643[1].JPG

Those wheels ruin the perfectness of that CLK63 Black.

Who cares about the Merc. I wanna hear about Greg's new guns from the gun store lol

Enmanuel:

Those wheels ruin the perfectness of that CLK63 Black.

If I were you, I would watch my mouth; after all he has a license to kill (look at the plate). Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM