Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Confirms It Will Build Cajun SUV In 2013

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/porsche-confirms-it-will-build-cajun-suv-in-2013-82169.html

2014-Porsche-Cajun-crossover-illustration-front-623x389.jpg

Porsche has announced an investment of over €500 million ($691 million) in its production facility in Leipzig, Germany, to build the new Cajun small SUV. Production of the Cajun will begin in late 2013, and should lead to the creation of about 1000 new jobs at the factory.
    The Cajun is a smaller SUV which will be extensively based on the Audi Q5. In fact, Audi was in charge of developing both the Cajun and the next version of the larger Cayenne SUV. As such, reports suggest the “baby Cayenne” will offer both a 235-hp, turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four and a supercharged 3.0-liter V-6 cribbed from the Audi/Volkswagen engine range. The top-spec Cajun might score a Porsche-developed, twin-turbo V-6 producing as much as 350 hp. An all-wheel-drive system based on Audi’s Quattro driveline will be standard.
    As the Cajun will be pitched against the new Land Rover Range Rover Evoque, we expect the Porsche to be offered in both three- and five-door configurations. It may even wear styling cues that ape the 959 rally car of yore – meaning we can likely count on a tall stance and a rounded nose. We wouldn’t go so far as to suggest that Porsche turn the Cajun into a rally machine, but the visual similarities could be there.
    Porsche hopes the Cajun, which will slot in below the Cayenne price-wise, will attract younger buyers to the German brand. The company says the Cajun “will inject fresh momentum alongside the new generation Cayenne” in the Porsche range.
    Porsche’s Leipzig factory was opened in 2002 to build the Cayenne SUV, and more recently added construction of the Panamera four-door to its resume. The factory also produced the Carrera GT supercar from 2003 to 2006.
    Source: Porsche

Read more: http://rumors.automobilemag.com/porsche-confirms-it-will-build-cajun-suv-in-2013-82169.html#ixzz1bExdC8ri

Re: Porsche Confirms It Will Build Cajun SUV In 2013

Original press announcement :

The Chairman of the Supervisory Board and Chairman of the Board of Management of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Wolfgang Porsche and Matthias Müller today joined numerous guests from the world of politics and business in laying the foundation stone for the second extension of the Leipzig site. It is an important milestone, which writes another chapter in the successful history of Porsche’s Saxony site. “We are investing another 500 million euro in the production facility to build the Cajun in Leipzig. This is not just a mark of confidence in the manufacturing skills of our Leipzig colleagues but also an important contribution to the economic development of the region.” said Matthias Müller on the morning of the festivities.

Porsche Board of Management member with responsibility for production Wolfgang Leimgruber added: “We want to expand the production of high-performance sports cars and off-road vehicles in Leipzig. At the same time the ambition is for the plant to achieve the highest standards with a forward-looking quality strategy.” More than 1,000 new jobs and a new 17 hectare production site are being created to handle the production of the Cajun. “The fact that the assembly plant is now to become a fully fledged factory with body assembly line and paint shop is an enormous motivation for me and my team,” explained Siegfried Bülow, Chairman of the Executive Board of Porsche Leipzig GmbH, citing as a challenge the tough timetable governing the plant extension, with production of the Cajun scheduled to start as early as the end of 2013. “The acquisition and qualification of new staff is also an important item on our agenda. We are trusting in tried-and-tested processes, thus ensuring that the first Cajun from Leipzig is of outstanding “typical Porsche” quality, setting standards in its class,” Bülow said.

Porsche’s Leipzig plant is also setting environmental standards, being one of the world’s most efficient car factories. For example, the very efficient air recirculation and power cut-off technologies in the paint shop ensure particularly economical energy use. “Sustainability of the very highest order is enshrined in our environmental principles. Our use of ultra-modern equipment and facilities is a valuable contribution to frugal automotive engineering,” said Porsche Board of Management member with responsibility for production Wolfgang Leimgruber.

Leipzig Lord Mayor Burkhard Jung also emphasised the impressive development of the site: “Porsche’s decision in 1999 to build a plant in our city brought the industrial site to life with a kiss. Porsche was followed by many important business start-ups, putting Leipzig in the fast lane. 10 years and more than 420,000 “Made in Leipzig” Porsches later, this industrial site has finally come of age.”

Porsche’s site in Saxony has been producing the Cayenne since it opened in 2002. After a first extension, the four-seater Gran Turismo Panamera was produced here as well. It is assembled alongside the sporty off-road vehicle on the mixed-model assembly line. Porsche has invested approximately 280 million euro in the Leipzig site to date.

Porsche is expanding its globally very popular SUV segment with the efficient and agile “Cajun”. The light and handy, typically Porsche “Cajun” will inject fresh momentum alongside the new generation Cayenne, which has managed to consolidate its market position as one of the most successful off-road vehicles in the premium segment to a significant degree. As an attractive model, it is intended – alongside the Boxster as the market-leading, two-seater, mid-engine sports car – to provide new, even younger customers with an entrée to the world of Porsche. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I hope, before anything else, they find a more attractive name for it.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

+1 SmileySmiley

--
    Happy Driving

reginos:

Cojon ? Cajon ? Smiley

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Don't know about other languages but in spanish it would be a really, REALLY, bad name, not only does it sound horrible when pronounced in spanish, but also lends itself to embarrasing nicknames, cojon, cagon, etc. enlightened

--

Introducing the Cayman name, Porsche took the concept from the animal world: the cayman is a relatively small, but very nimble athlete and hunter.  So I started thinking about what a good name for the "cajun" might be.  Considering I usually post quite tongue-in-cheek stuff, this is Budster getting serious...

I was looking for an animal starting with the letter "c", which would in some way describe some of the features of the car.

Introducing:  The Porsche Camox

Camox is the latin name for the Chamois, a mountain goat, but Chamois would be horribly pronounced by Anglophiles.

So that's it then.  I have made the decision.  Someone see that it's done please.

I think they are going with "Cajun".  There seemed to initially be some room for change, but as time goes on and it gets closer to production time I think there is less chance of it.  The references to it in the press release give no hint that the name could change.  I think the decision has been made.

hopefully a decent name as well as decent design....not along the lines of the cayenne II.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

GM Austin:

I think they are going with "Cajun".  There seemed to initially be some room for change, but as time goes on and it gets closer to production time I think there is less chance of it.  The references to it in the press release give no hint that the name could change.  I think the decision has been made.

I think you're right...

So how will Cajun be pronounced. The English, Spanish, German or French way? A good brand name must have the same sound everywhere, in all markets.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

So how will Cajun be pronounced. The English, Spanish, German or French way? A good brand name must have the same sound everywhere, in all markets.

Well in spanish it sounds like a Klingon insult, I'm not kiddingSmiley

I guess if it short for Cayenne Junior, it would be pronounced as it is pronounced in english Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

I guess if it short for Cayenne Junior, it would be pronounced as it is pronounced in english Smiley

Try explaining this to people after they stop laughing!

--

"Form follows function"

But how do you pronounce Cayenne..?!

Cay as in K+ "ay" or "eye"..?!

The word is so common in the US, as a reference to some people in Louisiana and the spicy food they eat, I don't believe it will be pronounced here in any other way (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajun).  It seemed a little strange to me at first but it's growing on me.  I think it's OK.

Cajun is the internal name... let's not get carried away here guys. The name will be good, Porsche isn't dumb.

We don't call the Panamera 970 either.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

There is always the original rumored name of "Roxster"

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

Atzporsche:

Cajun is the internal name... let's not get carried away here guys. The name will be good, Porsche isn't dumb.

We don't call the Panamera 970 either.

True, but it's the internal name that they have been using publicly for a long time now.  And the latest announcement is a very public press release.  I don't recall Porsche referring to the Panamera as a 970 in any press releases, or to the Cayenne as a 987. 

The Cayenne is actually the 958.  Smiley

And Cajun is a combination of Cayenne and Junior. Just as Pajun is a combination of Panamera and Junior.

It isn't pronounced as "KAY-JIN". It is pronounced as "KI-YOON". Also, Porsche says this is a nick name for the project, not the official name. And last I spoke to a Porsche guy at an autoshow, he said when he was in Stuttgart Porsche said they weren't stupid enough to name a car after a southern seasoning. 

Carrara:

The Cayenne is actually the 958.  Smiley

And Cajun is a combination of Cayenne and Junior. Just as Pajun is a combination of Panamera and Junior.

It isn't pronounced as "KAY-JIN". It is pronounced as "KI-YOON". Also, Porsche says this is a nick name for the project, not the official name. And last I spoke to a Porsche guy at an autoshow, he said when he was in Stuttgart Porsche said they weren't stupid enough to name a car after a southern seasoning. 

But they named the Cayenne after a pepper.

Porsche Cajun in the U.S. will be pronounced just like the ethnic group in Louisiana.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

Sorry, my mistake...I meant to say 955. Before the Cayenne was introduced it was know as the 955 internally. But it was never referred to as a 955 by Porsche publicly, as far as I know. The 987 is, of course, the current generation Boxster. I have one of each and sometimes get confused.

Irrespective of what it will be called, as long as it remains the benchmark for it's class all will be ok.

--

2003 Cayenne Turbo

bobr:

There is always the original rumored name of "Roxster"

Don't be surprised if they actually go for it. As far as I heard, Porsche has the rights on the name "Roxster". Smiley

I see some possibilities:

Cayenne Sport (unfortunately this could imply that the regular Cayenne isn't sporty, so maybe not a good choice)

Cayamera (mix between Cayenne and Panamera but I'm not sure that it sounds right)

Cayemera (same as above)

Cayenne Coupe (if they decide to offer a two door version only)

Cayenne GT (sounds more dynamic but since Porsche plans to offer a Cayenne GTS...not sure about it)

Cayenne R (this would make sense...Cayenne R S...Cayenne R Turbo...Cayenne R Diesel...doesn't sound that bad)

Cayenne LT (LT would stand for "light" but it kind of sounds like a Chevrolet LT truck...)

--

Or they can just call it the Florio or Dakar or something.

Porshe Dakar I like Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:

It would cost Porsche a fortune to use this name, I doubt it but it sounds nice, indeed.

--

Carrara:

Or they can just call it the Florio or Dakar or something.

Florio ? Nope. Never. Smiley

--

RC:
    Pentium:

It would cost Porsche a fortune to use this name, I doubt it but it sounds nice, indeed.

Porsche uses the Carrera model name in memory of the fact that the company's products took part in the Carrera Panamericana race in Mexico and achieved some class wins. The use of Targa as a model name goes back to participation in the Targa Florio. 
    I don't think the Cajun should be sold under the model name Dakar unless the car actually participates in the event and achieves a respectable result. 

--

fritz

Agreed... and has'nt Dakar been already used by someone else?

Also "Ingolstadt" may be more apropriate for this car, no?1319119565477getmecoat.gif

Spyderidol:

Also "Ingolstadt" may be more apropriate for this car, no?1319119565477getmecoat.gif

Well, actually Wolfsburg, since the Cajun and Q5 are both based on the VW Tiguan.  Smiley

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    807076 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449718 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267197 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90528 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7334 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887582 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836391 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM