Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Cayman R Sport Auto Supertest (October 2011)

Ring 8.10min with Bridgestone Potenza, 8.06 with Continental Force Contact

Hockenheim  1.12,4min (911 S PDK 1.13.4)

0-100km/h 4.6s

0-200km/h 16.9s

wet handling 1.37,2min

1385kg(with lots of options)

There is a short test of the McLaren MP4-12c
    Hockenheim  1.08,7min
    Supertest in November

Re: Porsche Cayman R Sport Auto Supertest (October 2011)

MY view is if a Porsche cannot break the eight minute mark at the Ring, it is not a Porsche or at the very least not labelled as one.

--

nberry:

MY view is if a Porsche cannot break the eight minute mark at the Ring, it is not a Porsche or at the very least not labelled as one.

Wait a minute Nick, you are using ring times you so much critiziced as the measuring stick to label a Porsche now?SmileySmiley 10

IMO you have to take HP into account (as well a s tires and other lesser factors) and judge the laptime accordingly on a curve, unless you are of the opinion that simple HP defines a Porsche.

--

The Hockenheim time is pretty impressive, indeed. kiss

The Cayman R is definitely a very nice sports car for the budget oriented driver but I still can't get used to it, can't help it. The design cries out loud too much "Boxster with fixed roof" and too much "911 wannabe". Maybe the next generation, if there is going to be one, will convince me more.

The base design isn't bad at all and I don't mind that it looks a little bit like a small 911 but it should have it's own design language and not look like a mix between a Boxster and a 911. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

The Hockenheim time is pretty impressive, indeed. kiss

The Cayman R is definitely a very nice sports car for the budget oriented driver but I still can't get used to it, can't help it. The design cries out loud too much "Boxster with fixed roof" and too much "911 wannabe". Maybe the next generation, if there is going to be one, will convince me more.

The base design isn't bad at all and I don't mind that it looks a little bit like a small 911 but it should have it's own design language and not look like a mix between a Boxster and a 911. 

...maybe if the next generation "Boxster Coupe" looks like this?

Porsche-Coupe-GTS.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Carlos, Porsches' are suppose to be about performance. The Ring is in their backyard and Porsche uses it extensively in developing their cars. If a presumably premiere sport car cannot crack the eight minute mark at the Ring, it has issues. One cannot consider it an authentic sport car. It is a wannabe. 

Let's not forget this is the 21st century.Smiley

--

nberry:

.......One cannot consider it an authentic sport car.......Smiley

What is your definition of an "authentic sports car"?

...perhaps it's time for Andreas Preuninger and the team of elite Porsche Motorsport engineers at Weissach to build a Porsche Cayman RS with that awesome GT3 engine...

2011-Porsche-Cayman-Clubsport.jpg

12809900643242010-Porsche-Cayman-RS.jpg

1276157435557The Legend Lives - pic 1.jpg

Andreas-Preuninger_Porsche-911-GT3_Grid-TV_Image.jpg

...so Mr Preuninger, how about a Cayman RS to homologate a new mid-engined GT racer?

Smiley SmileySmiley

The Cups on the GT3 looked reasonably well worn so perhaps the tyre difference wasn't that significant in determining the results

--

nberry:

Carlos, Porsches' are suppose to be about performance. The Ring is in their backyard and Porsche uses it extensively in developing their cars. If a presumably premiere sport car cannot crack the eight minute mark at the Ring, it has issues. One cannot consider it an authentic sport car. It is a wannabe. 

Performance in the Porsche world is a broader word than the HP figure, and HP is the only thing separating the Cayman R from a sub-8 min laptime. Performance wise It does everything better than a 997TT for example, except acceleration. So if acceleration is what defines a sportcar for you, then your definition differs a lot from mine.  

Let me give an example that will make it all too obvious:
    - the Panamera Turbo dipped under the 8min in Rohrl's hands, does that automatically make it a sportcar and the Cayman R is a wannabe?
    - yet the Cayman R bested both your ex-F430's and your current 997TTCab SportAuto's lap time in Hockenheim (a track that places less emphasis on HP and more on handling that the Nurburgring), so the F430 or the 997TTCab are wannabe's?
    Next time you pull up to a Cayman R in your TTCab and you call it a wannabe, just make sure the road ahead is completely straight and all you are doing is stoplight to stoplight racing Smiley 1

I for one preffer the 911's driving dinamics and other features than the Cayman's, but I have all the respect in the world for such a superb sportcar that it is, and the Cayman R is its best version yet. I think if you ever drive a Cayman you will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm all for using NRing lap times to help judge a sportcar's attributes, in fact we have had many discussions because you have always considered NRing lap times irrelevant in your anti-Porsche phase, but they are only usefull when judged after taking into account the many variables that come into play when lapping the NRing, such a tires, HP, driver, lenght of lap, optional equipment fitted, enviromental conditions of the day, etc. Otherwise a NRing lap number by itself is a useless piece of information and cannot be used to classify anything no more than a top speed figure.

--

Boxster Coupe GTS:

...perhaps it's time for Andreas Preuninger and the team of elite Porsche Motorsport engineers at Weissach to build a Porsche Cayman RS with that awesome GT3 engine...

"That awesome GT3 engine" is not even going in future GT3's, not to mention future CaymanSmiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

nberry:

Yes sure, and my view is that those who can't manage to drive the 'Ring in less than 8 minutes regardless of the car are no sportscar drivers but posers :-) Seriously: if a loaded CaymanR can do it with the right tires in 8:06 there is no doubt, that the "naked" car with a proper track oriented alignment can do it in 8:00 minutes
    --

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:
    nberry:

Yes sure, and my view is that those who can't manage to drive the 'Ring in less than 8 minutes regardless of the car are no sportscar drivers but posers.

Agree on that. So Nick, come on over... Smiley

Grant:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

"That awesome GT3 engine" is not even going in future GT3's, not to mention future CaymanSmiley

Hi Grant! Smiley

Ultimately I am confident that, given the success Andreas Preuninger and team have had establishing the GT3 and GT3 RS (based around that awesome motorsport engine) as the definitve class leader, future GT and RS models will be built around a new awesome Porsche Motorsport engine...

You'll no doubt recall the rumours that the 991 GT3 will have a naturally aspirated high-revving 480hp flat-six engine, based on a (4.0-litre) development of the 9A1 block, with the potential for a "lightweight" PDK-S gearbox option...

With the GT3 R racer to run with the 4.0-litre 500hp Mezger engine for the 2012 and 2013 seasons, it must be reasonable to assume that the engine for the 991 GT3 RS will have over 500hp... so what would be the options to homologate a future motorsport engine?

• An even larger version (e.g. 4.2-litre) of the 9A1 block (with lightweight pistons, titanium connecting rods, etc) producing over 500hp
    • A further development of the awesome RSR / GT1 / Metzger engine (e.g. Manthey's 4.3-litre K510 engine generates 510hp)
    • A naturally aspirated version of the Porsche Motorsport V8 engine from the RS Spyder that's currently in development for the 918 RS Spyder
    • A new Porsche Motorsport V8 engine (e.g. Ruf 4.5-litre V8 engine producing 550hp in the RGT-8)
    • A new Porsche Motorsport Flat-Eight, as rumoured to be considered for the 961 Coupe (Ferrari 458 competitor)
    • ...or how about a 4-litre 500hp motorsport engine from the GT3 R Hybrid, including a +200hp "push to pass" button! 

...which option would you suggest Grant? Smiley

Alongside those options, it does seem entirely possible that Porsche could produce a Cayman RS with over 400hp...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Any of those options would be great in the Cayman, but not sure it'll be too likely to have it step on the Carrera S's shoes at a lower price. Definitely anxious to see what they decide for the next GT3.  I hope whatever motorsport motor they decide upon that it will be used in the GT3 and not just the RS (where the homologation is done).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:

Next time you pull up to a Cayman R in your TTCab and you call it a wannabe, just make sure the road ahead is completely straight and all you are doing is stoplight to stoplight racing Smiley 1

I

Carlos, if I pulled up next to a Caymon R and he wanted to race whether in a straight line or curvy road, I wouldn't bother because I don't want to waste my gas. You and I both know it would not stand a chance. 

There are many cars that describe themselves as sport cars. Very few perform to the standards of a real sport car. A good handling car is not necessarily a sport car. I would not classify a Miata an authentic sport car. It may be a lot of fun to drive but it lacks the power and sound to make it a special driving experience. 

You know exactly what I am talking about.

Smiley

--

I did the Silverstone Experience day a few weeks back in a Cayman R (an afternoon in one of Porsche's cars with one-to-one instruction). I thought it was superb - great handling and feedback on a short, twisty (damp) track. There was a Turbo, a GT3RS and a GT2 on the track, and not a single car passed me all day. True - the other drivers could have all been useless but I came away impressed with the Cayman.
    --

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:
    I did the Silverstone Experience day a few weeks back in a Cayman R (an afternoon in one of Porsche's cars with one-to-one instruction). I thought it was superb - great handling and feedback on a short, twisty (damp) track. There was a Turbo, a GT3RS and a GT2 on the track, and not a single car passed me all day. True - the other drivers could have all been useless but I came away impressed with the Cayman.

I test drove an R with manual gearbox at Le Mans last summer during the Porsche festival and it was a peach!

Yes it could handle more power, but with the bucket seats, you could almost drive the car with your butt! Fantastic chassic, so much feedback, so precise!

A great sportscar!

nberry:

Let's not forget this is the 21st century.Smiley

Don't forget that the NBR is a track which requires a powerful engine. A car with just a bit more than 300hp can never be as quick as a 480+ car on the NBR. In fact, the Cayman R offers an outstanding lap time give the power output of its engine Smiley

P.S.: If you want to understand how true sportscar enthusiasts value the qualities of true sportscars please read Futch's post just above mine - it is all about precision and feed-back; lap times reflect these qualities AND sheer engine power. It is very easy to install massive engines in a car - it is much, much more difficult to get precision and feed-back in there. If you want both precision/feed-back AND power in a Porsche you just have to spend more money...

MKSGR:

If you want to understand how true sportscar enthusiasts value the qualities of true sportscars please read Futch's post just above mine - it is all about precision and feed-back.

kiss

Futch:

I test drove an R with manual gearbox at Le Mans last summer during the Porsche festival and it was a peach!

Yes it could handle more power, but with the bucket seats, you could almost drive the car with your butt! Fantastic chassic, so much feedback, so precise!

So just tell me, Francois: Why didn't you get one ? Smiley  Smiley

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    Futch:

So just tell me, Francois: Why didn't you get one ? Smiley  Smiley

Smiley

GT3 has more power!!!Smiley

But actually you know, I share with two buddies a 968 CS and I really have fun with this car too! Ok, it's really underpowered actually but the chassis is wonderful!

PS: A Cayman with the 4L of the GT3 would be out of this world. Dream on...

Futch, a true sport enthusiast, can afford any car he wants. Does he own a Cayman?

I am sure the Cayman is a terrific handling car just as the Boxster and Miata are. But be honest. Why don't we buy one? Yep, underpowered.cool

--

Interview with Porsche CEO Matthias Muller...

Will there never be a Cayman that will outperform a 911? "If I look at pure performance numbers," says Muller thoughtfully, "then maybe." But then he quickly adds he believes Porsche's two sports cars are aimed at two entirely different customers -- substitution between the two cars is less than five percent in the United States. And with Turbo and Turbo S versions of the new 911 still to come -- as well as GT3 and GT2 variants -- you can bet there will always be at least one 911 variant that will be faster than even the hottest Cayman in the future...

Porsche-CEO-Matthias-Muller_MotorTrend-article_Rennteam-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

nberry:

Futch, a true sport enthusiast, can afford any car he wants. Does he own a Cayman?

I am not so sure about your definition Smiley My definition would be: a true sportscar enthusiast can FEEL all these small differences, the precision and feed-back of a car, the total level of refinement in summary, when driving a car. I am not sure whether he or she also needs to have the financial ability to buy these cars Smiley This is more about talent and refined senses than about money. Of course, most people without the means don't have to much opportunity to drive these cars.

nberry:

I am sure the Cayman is a terrific handling car just as the Boxster and Miata are. But be honest. Why don't we buy one? Yep, underpowered.cool

I have the privilege to own a Turbo S and a GT3 so both cars are a better proposition than the Cayman R clearly.

But if I had to buy only one car with a limited, yet comfortable budget, I think a Cayman R would be high on the list as a swiss knife kind of car. Great for driving on a alpine vacation and also very entertaining on the track.

Porsche-Jeck:
    nberry:

Yes sure, and my view is that those who can't manage to drive the 'Ring in less than 8 minutes regardless of the car are no sportscar drivers but posers :-) Seriously: if a loaded CaymanR can do it with the right tires in 8:06 there is no doubt, that the "naked" car with a proper track oriented alignment can do it in 8:00 minutes

Hehe, nice one PJ Smiley

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

Ferdie:
    MKSGR:

If you want to understand how true sportscar enthusiasts value the qualities of true sportscars please read Futch's post just above mine - it is all about precision and feed-back.

kiss

Re precision and feedback: I enjoyed a snow & ice training with the European Speed Club earlier this year - obviously sheer power is not important in this kind of training. We had Boxster, Cayman S, Carrera S and GT3 to play with. All participants (including Turbo S, GT2 RS and GT3 owners) were of the same opinion: GT3 most precise and fun to drive car with a very close 2nd place for the CaymanS. No one placed the CarreraS above the CaymanS re precision, feedback and driving fun...
    --

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

But if I had to buy only one car with a limited, yet comfortable budget, I think a Cayman R would be high on the list as a swiss knife kind of car. Great for driving on a alpine vacation and also very entertaining on the track.

THis is on the spot i thinck... When buying only 1 car with your budget, you don't buy a cayman, because a 5-series, an S5 etc are better,... correct: more sensible  buys.

When having the budget to buy an extra car:  a second hand 911 for that money is more tempting imo

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab

Audi R8  //  Audi A5 S-line 3.0tdi Quattro/ RR 4.4i

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689583 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409237 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255745 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234995 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857992 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774045 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM