Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

KresoF1:
    http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-991-gt2/2013/06/27

Btw, mule is PDK. Engine? Check out the pics carefully... I know what engine is in the mule.

The problem with this car is: It may be a GT3 RS mule with turbo side vents (Porsche is rumored to use the even wider 991 Turbo body for the RS version of the GT3 and at the time they put the mule together, they didn't have other body parts available) and the GT3 RS does not have turbos. Smiley

If you are referring to the GT3 engine used as a base for the GT2, well... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Well... Lets start with some IF...

IF new 991 GT2 engine is based on new GT3 engine then it will have true dry sump and will use pretty unique new turbo chargers(guess the number of chargers 2 or 3 ?).

IF new 991 GT2 will use PDK-S from new GT3 then 7th gear will be used as power gear and new GT2 will achieve more then 330km/h top speed in 7th gear. Acceleration will be despite RWD only(but with even more capable electronically controlled rear diff) will be mind blowing. Read faster then both MP4-12C and F12 Berlinetta.

IF new 991 GT2 really gets new engine(with true dry sump), PDK-S, RWS etc then projected price od 220K € in Germany wont be too much(for a car capable Ring time of below 7.20min).

BTW, check the pics again-there is a clue what engine is in it...

RC:
    MKSGR:

The problem is: the car needs to be really quicker to be an attractive offer... 

I agree. Why do you think I criticized Porsche's approach with the 991 Turbo S? 

I get it: Turbo and Turbo S at the same time (actually the Turbo S will be available earlier Smiley), it makes sense.

However: Porsche raised the price tag by a whopping 22k EUR but performance hasn't grown at the same level. Why would a 997 Turbo S driver switch to the new Turbo S? OK, the chassis setup is probably better, maybe even the sound but overall, there is no "need" to upgrade, which is my opinion also isn't clever from a marketing point of view.

The competition has never been that strong, so Porsche clearly had to send a message with an all new 991 Turbo S, especially after they raised the price tag. They failed to do that in my opinion. Yes, I ordered one but only because I have no choice. If I wouldn't care about the neighbors and if AWD wouldn't be something I really need from time to time, I would have gone for the F12 or maybe even the MP4-12C. Honestly.

...true summary. The new turbo is  a good car, though Porsche missed to put the cream on top. 

Beside the shy hp figure, customers will expect some special for that price tag.

KresoF1:

IF new 991 GT2 engine is based on new GT3 engine then it will have true dry sump and will use pretty unique new turbo chargers(guess the number of chargers 2 or 3 ?).

IF new 991 GT2 will use PDK-S from new GT3 then 7th gear will be used as power gear and new GT2 will achieve more then 330km/h top speed in 7th gear. Acceleration will be despite RWD only(but with even more capable electronically controlled rear diff) will be mind blowing. Read faster then both MP4-12C and F12 Berlinetta.

IF new 991 GT2 really gets new engine(with true dry sump), PDK-S, RWS etc then projected price od 220K € in Germany wont be too much(for a car capable Ring time of below 7.20min).

Smiley very promising IF these assumptions become somewhat true...!!!

This would be impressive!

Yes, but only smileyIF 

KresoF1:

Looking a bit closer at those 991 prototype pics...

Porsche-991-GT3-RS_Prototype-01.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3-RS_Prototype-02.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3-RS_Prototype-03.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3-RS_Prototype-04.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3-RS_Prototype-05.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3-RS_Prototype-06.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3-RS_Prototype-07.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3-RS_Prototype-08.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3-RS_Prototype-09.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3-RS_Prototype-10.jpg

...but does that prototype sound like a turbocharged or naturally-aspirated engine...

...so KresoF1, is it a prototype for the 991 GT2 or the 991 GT3 RS? Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

GT3RS ;)

Doing side intakes a la 991 RSR perhaps?

Kreso, what are you referring to as to the clue?

I think this is a GT3RS mule.

KresoF1:

I know what engine is in this car and it is not a turbo charged engine. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Of course, you are right. It was clear from the pics as well.

kashmir:
    KresoF1:

Smiley very promising IF these assumptions become somewhat true...!!!

A GT2 engine would be based on the new GT3 engine. Since all new engines (incl. 991 Turbo/Turbo S) are based on the Carrera engine, well...it is more of an academic discussion to point out the details. Fact is: This engine, like the GT3 or even Turbo/Turbo S engine, won't have many parts in common with the Carrera engine it is based on, the emphasis lies on "based on". The GT3 derived version of course uses a real dry sump lubrification while the Turbo/Turbo S sticks to the well known "integrated" system. I assume the new GT2 will have a real dry sump lubrification, so it will be basically a GT3 engine with turbo chargers, two or three (I heard that the three turbo charger version has been laid on ice but you never know, there are lots of rumors).

Now here is the question: Does it make sense for Porsche to use another engine variant in the GT2? Another question is: Does it make sesne to offer a dry sump system for the GT2 since not many GT2 drivers are actually racing their car. Like Walter Röhrl said once: The GT2 is more of a car for a manager, who wants to have the ultimate power toy, the GT3 is the race car. His quotes, not mine.

We can speculate all day long but I kind of have the feeling that we may see a GT2 based on the new Turbo, not really a GT3 with turbo charged engine. Since all engines are based on the Carrera engine, maybe Porsche found a way to just add a dry sump lubrification to the Turbo engine (for the GT2 only of course) and be done with it (sounds of course more simple than it would be in reality but you get the point...cost efficiency). Maybe they developed some sort of engine construction kit based on the Carrera base engine, using as many same parts for the same engine as possible. This is only a guess but it would make sense. It would not make sense to develop two or three completely different engines. One reason the Mezger engine has been tanked.

I guess we just need to wait for more details to surface, details about the GT3 engine but even more about the Turbo/Turbo S engine which so far, is an enigma. Many sources claim that it is basically an improved 997 Turbo DI engine but according to a rumor I just heard recently, the 997 Turbo and the 991 Turbo engine share less than 50% of the parts. So in another words, this would basically mean that the 991 Turbo engine is new.

Speculation doesn't really help though, so give it another couple of months and we have all the details.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

2014 Porsche 991 GT3 RS prototype testing...

...looks like the 991 GT3 RS is running on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres! Smiley

2014 Porsche 991 GT3 RS prototype testing -- Gallery Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Unfortunately the Cup 2 tire is rumored to be available 2014 for a broader range of Porsche 911 models, not earlier. First Porsche to use it was supposed to be the 918 but it could be the GT3 RS too.

I also heard that it is a sensationally good semi-slick and that Porsche adapted it to their specific needs in a pretty spectacular way (improving track times of the 918 by a huge margin for example).

--

Will it be available on 20" rims only ? any hope for 19" rims 325/30 ?

RC:
    Now here is the question: Does it make sense for Porsche to use another engine variant in the GT2? Another question is: Does it make sesne to offer a dry sump system for the GT2 since not many GT2 drivers are actually racing their car.

Yes, it makes sense if "GT" is intended to mean something (even if only for marketing and the occasional racer).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

RC:

Unfortunately the Cup 2 tire is rumored to be available 2014 for a broader range of Porsche 911 models, not earlier. First Porsche to use it was supposed to be the 918 but it could be the GT3 RS too.

Isn't  the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup v2 tyre the second of the two standard tyres for the new 991 GT3 (along with the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race )??

Could be but according to various sources, the Cup 2 will be available 2014. Maybe this is the reason why most GT3 mules seem to use the Dunlop? yes

I also heard that the 918 is going to run on the Cup 2 but this sounds a bit weird since first 918 are supposed to go to customers this year? According to rumors, the first customer 918 is going to be manufactured November 18th. (no kidding, this is what I heard). I also heard that one of the first cars is going to...Mr. Piech. 

--

RC:

Could be but according to various sources, the Cup 2 will be available 2014. Maybe this is the reason why most GT3 mules seem to use the Dunlop? yes

I also heard that the 918 is going to run on the Cup 2 but this sounds a bit weird since first 918 are supposed to go to customers this year? According to rumors, the first customer 918 is going to be manufactured November 18th. (no kidding, this is what I heard). I also heard that one of the first cars is going to...Mr. Piech. 

I guess it's not beyond reason that the tyres will be widely available to the public from 2014, but that the earliest stock have been provided to Porsche for the GT3 and the 918 etc. later in 2013.
    ??

sidicks:
    RC:

I guess it's not beyond reason that the tyres will be widely available to the public from 2014, but that the earliest stock have been provided to Porsche for the GT3 and the 918 etc. later in 2013.
    ??

Michelin is not saying when the Cup 2 tire will be available in the USA. 

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

Doesn't the SLS black series already run on the Cup 2 tire?

Btw the 918 runs a highly specific and unique tire developed with Michelin, unlike any other car :)

pxaxh:

Doesn't the SLS black series already run on the Cup 2 tire?

Btw the 918 runs a highly specific and unique tire developed with Michelin, unlike any other car :)

Maybe it says Cup 2 but it is actually an improved Cup 1 tire? Smiley This Cup 2 has been fine tuned for AMG and the SLS Black Series.

As to the 918, I was pretty sure I saw a Cup 2 on it but maybe I am wrong. Smiley

--

GT2

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Blowing up the picture, I see what appears to be a button for Sport Exhaust !!! 

I still believe this is the 991 GT3 RS and the button for the sport exhaust exists on the GT3 too. 

--

RC:

I still believe this is the 991 GT3 RS

+1

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

It also has a button for PDK-S lime the GT3, so definitely a GT3 RS angel

--

2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Platinum Silver (sold)
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS Basalt Black

2013 Porsche Carrera S GT Silver

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

Super Darius:
    RC:

I still believe this is the 991 GT3 RS

+1

+2  The front lights are the ones from the Carrera , not the Turbo + center exhaust . The side air intakes.... well maybe used to cool the NA engine Smiley or just a gimmick to confuse us, as the RS will use the Turbo wider hips .

But , there is something different with this car and the previous ' GT3 RS' we have seen. It does not have the front arches around the wheels ........ 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Remember that the GT3RS is the homologation car for the RSR. Notice that the RSR has side vents.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688265 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408601 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234712 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65349 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857476 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773197 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM