Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

Turbo S may be released before Turbo? Strange

artur777:

I don't believe in that, would make no sense at all. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

boytronic:

My OPC told me this morning that Turbo S will be released before the Turbo. 

I heard the same rumour today from an OPC in central London -- maybe a bit strange from a marketing perspective -- but it sounds like we will see a 991 Turbo model soon, in one derivative or another... Smiley

13622433652442013-Porsche-991-Turbo_evo-magazine.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

boytronic:

Impossible.

Rumored power figures for the Turbo vary from 530 hp to 560 hp.

Turbo S will have "over" 550 hp (this comes from someone who knows the car well but he wasn't willing to tell me the precise figure when I asked him "will the new Turbo S have 550 hp?" Smiley)

I heard that the official 0-100 kph performance figures will be 3.1 seconds for the Turbo and 3.0 seconds for the Turbo S (PDK, all performance goodies active). I also heard that Porsche is testing a launch control but I'm not sure if this will be part of the package or not.

Not sure about the 0-200 kph performance figures yet but I heard something around 10 seconds for the Turbo and under 10 seconds for the Turbo S (I would expect something around 9.8 or 9.7 for the Turbo S9.

Top speeds: So far, it looks like 315 for the Turbo and 320 for the Turbo S.

Nothing really surprising here, I guess but the chassis and aerodynamical improvements are huge, track times on the Nordschleife have been improvement substantially, just let Porsche surprise you. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

The presantation for the Turbo will be before or in Frankfurt IAA?

Another photoshop interpretation of the Porsche 991 GT3 ahead of the imminent Geneva launch...

2013-Porsche-991-GT3_Geneva-preview.jpg

...let's hope Porsche have been listening to the GT3 customer feedback and offer 5-lug wheels as an option! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

pjd:

RC I'm afraid it's true, I was at my OPC this afternoon and my guy told me that the Turbo S will be released first. I asked the question over and over again and he gave the same answer  Smiley This guy has never been wrong. Strange but true Smiley

Italo:
    pjd:

RC I'm afraid it's true, I was at my OPC this afternoon and my guy told me that the Turbo S will be released first. I asked the question over and over again and he gave the same answer  Smiley This guy has never been wrong. Strange but true Smiley

Very strange! 

RC, how could this be?

According to the local OPC, the 991 GT3 will be available with a manual transmission... Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

artur777:
    Italo:
    pjd:

Very strange! 

RC, how could this be?

My OPC is reliable too...

As for Manual on the GT3 - Porsche may well have listened to feedback from customers...

boytronic:

I was told the same by our country dealer about a month ago. That's what he was told by the Porsche HQ.

Seems pointless to bother releasing the Turbo at all then... Who's going to buy it?

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Unless the Turbo S is being used to homologate a new type of "post Mezger" race engine... Then again, I must be dreaming...

If the GT3+Turbo will appear in Geneva, where is the Targa will be presented?

--

Rossi:
    artur777:

I don't believe in that, would make no sense at all. Smiley

--

I would be surprised as well, but I can see a big commercial advantage. The upgrades on a Turbo S are relatively cheap for Porsche to produce, but they can charge a substantial premium. The 'early-adopters' of the Turbo, will be willing to pay the surplus for having the car as soon as possible. It's an easy way of making more profit on the Turbo IMO.

Make your bets gentlemen blush

My bet GT3+Turbo

--

Add the fact that sales are slower than expected and many wealthy Turbo clients may wait to see the Turbo S before deciding which way to go... plus pressure from other brands...

Perhaps a win-win situation for Porsche... or perhaps a desperate move...

--

There is no try. Just do.

SportCarGroup:

Make your bets gentlemen blush

My bet GT3+Turbo

My bet GT3 and GT3 Cup. Smiley

--

Well, in the past, the Carrera S also was one of those exercises to sell the last few cars before introducing a new 911 if I am right (at least, I thought that was the case with the 993?)
    With the 997 they introduced the strategy to release the Carrera and the Carrera S models simultaneously, so maybe they will extend this strategy to the trubo models now as well?
    To be honest, I never really understood the strategy to release them simultaneously, always found it a bit of a taky marketing thing...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:

Well, in the past, the Carrera S also was one of those exercises to sell the last few cars before introducing a new 911 if I am right (at least, I thought that was the case with the 993?)
    With the 997 they introduced the strategy to release the Carrera and the Carrera S models simultaneously, so maybe they will extend this strategy to the trubo models now as well?
    To be honest, I never really understood the strategy to release them simultaneously, always found it a bit of a taky marketing thing...

Isn't normal for most manufacturers to offer all the variants at once?  I always thought introducing the Turbo S near the end of the generation to be kind of weird (not to mention inconvenient for the buyer).  I would love for the Turbo and the Turbo S to be available at the same time.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SoCal Alan:
    Joost:

Isn't normal for most manufacturers to offer all the variants at once?  I always thought introducing the Turbo S near the end of the generation to be kind of weird (not to mention inconvenient for the buyer).  I would love for the Turbo and the Turbo S to be available at the same time.

+1

--

Surely there will be plenty of (well, enough) people who might want a car with more power than the standard 2S / 4S models, but who don't want or can't afford to pay the £150k+ (in the UK at least) that will be required to obtain the Turbo S model.

So a 530bph 'Turbo' model at £125k or a 580bhp 'Turbo S' model at £150k.

Seems a reasonable choice / strategy to me!!

:)

SoCal Alan:
    Joost:

Where the 993 was concerned the "S" suffix was used to distinguish the wide-body models from the standard narrow-body models. I currently have a 993 Carrera 4 (narrow body), whereas there was also a 993 Carrera 4S with a wide body built in parallel with it. 

The "S" was used to distinguish between the 3.8 litre and 3.6 litre models where the 997 Carrera was concerned. Don't expect consistency or logic from marketing people. Smiley 

Where the 996/997 Turbo was concerned, the "S" has been used until now to try to maintain production figures at the end of the model's life, since the base Carrera models have already been changed by the time a Turbo S comes along so even buyers who do minimal research should realise the car is due for an update. Introducing the Turbo S before the "base" Turbo is a new departure, and does appear to be a weird decision.  Smiley  Time will tell. 

--

fritz

RC:
    artur777:

I am pretty sure Porsche has solved all the matters on GT3. It's too late to change 2-3 weeks before release.

The GT3 is ready to go, there is nothing to be changed anymore (minus some very minor details).

Speaking of "the 991 not selling well" (I don't see that) or "being overpriced": The 991 has become quite expensive, indeed and I am pretty sure that a well specced 991 Turbo will hit the 200k EUR mark, which would probably be a first. I also heard that the GT3 and especially GT3 RS got a substantial bump in price tag, if true. 

Why should I lie? I find the 991 to be expensive, most of the 991 show cars at my dealer cost over 135k EUR, this was 997 Turbo territory back in 2006. It isn't difficult to spec a 991 Carrera 4S to over 150k EUR, this is how much my former 997 Turbo costed me, incl. PCCB.

On the other hand, my wife's X3 35d, a BMW Diesel SUV, one of the smaller models, costs almost 80k EUR new. I paid much less (around 60k EUR) for my first 911, a 993 Targa back in 1997 and it was brand new, at a special price.

I think we don't pay attention to the prices of other cars too much because in reality, all car prices have been gone up over the past couple of years.

I too think that Porsche sells the 991 way too expensive but the problem isn't necessarily the base price tag but the options you need to add to be happy with the car. Performance options, maybe minus the PCCB, should be for free. We are talking about a Porsche here, not a Mercedes. Some options should also be free, I would charge only for extra leather and special color combos. My Panamera Turbo S has options for over 50k EUR in it, this is way too much.

Long story short: Porsche needs to be careful with their prices because at some point, customers could switch the brand. The competition has become very strong and like we say here in Germany, "other mothers have  beautiful daughters too". Nothing more to add. 

True! True!

My Lambo dealer is willing to give me good discount if I come back to order an Aventador Smiley That bull is outstanding in every way. The fun begins in this car when you're about to unlock the doors Smiley

I may pull the trigger on one if Porsche doesn't change their pricing on the 911 (flat-6 / 200k+ ?) impossible Smiley

Dan Neil has an article on the Aventador Roadster in yesterday's WSJ if you are  interested. I cannot see paying close to $500,000 for the car.

Seriously, if one is in the market for a 991 Turbo and the base model as well as the S was offered which would you buy? I suspect I would choose the S.

--

nberry:

Dan Neil has an article on the Aventador Roadster in yesterday's WSJ if you are seriously interested. I cannot see paying close to $500,000 for the car.

Since I'm good friends with some Lambo owners that have connections with the dealer, they can slash at least $10k+ for me (not going to mention the exact amount Smiley) I'm also a coupe fan not a roadster. The problem is the long wait almost 1 - 1.5 year Smiley

I read a lot of reviews about how bad the Ceramic Brakes were on the Gallardo, which isn't true and I can say it is very close to Porsche's CCB when it comes to emergeny stops. 10/10 Smiley

I actually hate Ferrari sales people for acting like bunch of snobs, since all they were interested in was what kinda car I was driving at the moment and if I ever owned a super/sport cars before, I told them a Toyota Land Cruiser Smiley (Planned to put down a deposit on 599 GTO in 2011) is it worth paying close to $500k+ for a 599 with extra 40hp and shooting exhaust flames that looks identical to the standard 599 GTB with minor tweaks ? what about the I'll set myself on fire in the middle of nowhere ? $500k with the risk of my engine decided to set itself on fire and rude sales people, no thank you Smiley

I'm glad I walked away and didn't bother to pull out my cheque book. I salute them for saving me a lot of $$$ and ended up buying a car that has been flawless since the day it showed up including the outdated stick shift which has almost  become extinct (dinosaur tech?) Smiley

Decisions will be made when the 991 GT3 RS / GT2 teasers start leaking on the net, but then again I can't get rid of my 7GT2 cause it's perfect in every way and hasn't betrayed me since 2008 Smiley

turbo price 200k $ + ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

this is Stupid or what they will give back ?? 25% more in price = 25% of a car

500hp + 25% = 625 hp

>2sec 0-62

i hope its not true

You wanna hear something really stupid?? Here in Israel, if you buy a brand new 991C2S (your spec.) you pay 290K$......oh....almost forgot, my friend paid for 997-2 Turbo approx. 420K$  Now this is stupid and ridiculous! mail

--

WoW thats not stupid thats beyond it by stages

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690691 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409903 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256099 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235345 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65726 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858650 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774854 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM