Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

Porker:
    Ferdie:

That´s one of the Kentenich brothers from Neuss. Niclas Kentenich is driving GT cars and they launched their own tuning company a while ago. Interesting to see though...

kiss

They're always present at the Nordschleife with various cars, ranging from a 750i with bucket seats, a GT3 RS, CLK 63 BS, ...

Always with NE:KE registered plates if I'm not mistaken.

Yep..and they also always attend the scuderia course , most of the time with CLK 63 BS, but last year it was a GT3 RS and they are always in the winners group, often ending 1st 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Same car but before the spoiler..

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

Dear Porsche,

Any chance of releasing some spy pics of a few new Porsche models?

We are now seeing spy pics of the next Audi R8 with a dual-clutch gearbox...

...and the competition for the new 911 is strong...

There are many Porsche customers keen to check out the 991 GT3, GT3 RS, GT3 RSR, Turbo, GT2, GT2 RS, Cayman RS, etc.

Many thanks from all on Rennteam!

Smiley SmileySmiley

"Une Journée de Rêves. Le film..."

Une Journée de Rêves. Le film -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

The Targa should have a black  top and   flat black  roll hoop  as per the late 70s/80s model , not the 60s /early 70s style bright aluminum hoop as per this pic, since there is  very little  chrome on the modern 911 to balance it visually

Having said that, my first 911 was a triple black  Targa, chosen because the first gen cabs back in the mid 80s had  tops  , raised or esp lowered that were ,IMO, not attractive .  The 991 cab now has the  sleekest  top , raised or lowered , of any 911 and I would chose that over even a retro hoop style Targa .

Good comparison shot of old Targa that I took at WatkinsGlen in the early 1970's...butler0-R3-E027.jpg

Amazing how skinny those tyres look today.  Even the tyres on a modern Toyoya Corolla are probably wider.  Smiley

PureBlue:

Amazing how skinny those tyres look today.  Even the tyres on a modern Toyoya Corolla are probably wider.  Smiley

And how high the ground clearance was. 

--

fritz

I think the U.S. Porsches at the time had to meet bumper standards that necessitated the "jacked" up shock settings.  The 991 would probably be just as high except for the evolutionary development of the larger, more absorbant rear and front bumpers.

I had a 74 S and then a 78SC back then. For both the first job was to lower to European ride height by removing rubber bump stops on the shocks and then getting the suspension aligned properly. Made a huge difference in looks and handling. The new cars are all set the same. My 991 has PASM Sport+ with lower harder springs and roll bars and its still way more compliant than the old cars!

Baby Boxster on way...

New baby Porsche Boxster with mid-engined rear-wheel-drive chassis and 200bhp flat-four is planned for 2014

(25 April 2012)

"Could this small roadster bring Porsche’s legendary driving thrills to a new generation of customers – and at a lower price, of less than £30,000? 

The sports car maker is preparing a production case for the model, which would sit below the Boxster as a new and more affordable entry point to its range.

With successive generations of the Boxster getting gradually bigger, more powerful and more expensive, now could be the time for Porsche to launch a sports car that costs almost £10,000 less than its existing ‘base’ model.

The as-yet-unnamed car has been on the cards since 2009, when parent company VW unveiled the BlueSport concept. Audi revealed its rear-drive e-tron concept in 2010 – both were based on the same mid-engined platform."

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 991 Carrera 4 spy pics...

991-Carrera-4_spypic-01.jpg

991-Carrera-4_spypic-02.jpg

1335653136521991-Carrera-4_spypic-03.jpg

991-Carrera-4_spypic-04.jpg

991-Carrera-4_spypic-05.jpg

Porsche 991 Carrera 4 spy pics -- Autojunk link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Interesting to see that the accordion-style is back to bag the spoiler and protect the mechanics. The implementation looks sleeker though than on the 997.

By these pictures its very difficult to judge if it's wide body or  narrow body

--

991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Baby Boxster on way...

New baby Porsche Boxster with mid-engined rear-wheel-drive chassis and 200bhp flat-four is planned for 2014

Smiley SmileySmiley

I'd be cautious of placing too much credence on this report.  Auto Express appears to have a history of flying kites which subsequently turn out to be based on conjecture rather than fact.

I really can't see a point of this car! It would exactly be same sausage different size compared to Boxster.

can someone tell me why Porsche would go for the el cheapo price point market? Porsche is part of the VAG and they already have Audi and VW cars covering that price point.

Why the "accordion" again?? yes

--

BlackOctober:

Why the "accordion" again?? yes

Don't know why they went back to it, but I like it! Way less Audi TT Smiley

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

CAR mag is reporting, after talking to 911 project manager, that new GT3 is getting electro-mechanical steering and only one gearbox option!

is this the end of hydraulic steering - i was holding out hope that the GT3 and future RS would get the old steering configuration as fuel economy wasn't the goal

good for "older" cars smiley - they will be last of their kind and a new generation is born - I am sure as thrilling - but different wink

dxpetrov:

CAR mag is reporting, after talking to 911 project manager, that new GT3 is getting electro-mechanical steering and only one gearbox option!

...the article seems a bit speculative? Smiley

Porsche 911 GT3 - the new 991 GT3 for 2013

(30 April 2012)

Porsche is already working on its new 991-generation 911 GT3 and this artist's impression gives a flavour for what's in store for the fastest, most focused 911 yet.

The new 991 GT3 is expected to be shown in 2013.

Porsche 911 GT3: what do we know about the 991-spec GT3?

Many of the deals are sketchy, but we're beginning to pick up more details on Porsche's 911 masterplan. CAR's European editor Georg Kacher has previously reported on all the future 991 derivatives.

What is clear from everybody we speak to is that the 991 GT3 will stay true to Porsche's racing roots; this is the version that many enthusiasts hold as the purest 911.

Weight-saving will be rampant, with many of the 911's more luxury-oriented gizmos binned in the name of a lighter kerbweight to boost performance and handling. Did you know you can even get massaging seats in the new 991? Not in the GT3...

What engine will we get in the new 2013 Porsche 911 GT3?

The new GT3 will stick with a high-revving normally aspirated flat six, but not the outgoing Metzger engine we saw put to such devastating use in the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 swansong. It's reputed to put out 450ps, or 444bhp - up 50 ponies from a regular 911 Carrera S - and will use that car's 3.8 as the base for Porsche's motorsport division to work its magic.

American website Inside Line reports that Porsche is likely to choose a single transmission for the GT3 - and it could be a PDK twin-clutch auto 'box, rather than a manual.

The 911 project boss August Achleitner said the GT3 team was testing both manual and PDK transmissions, but that a single gearbox - probably the PDK, would get the go-ahead, as only one in three 911 sales are for stick shifts.

'When we launched the 911 Turbo S, we did not offer a manual, but we have not had a single complaint,' said Achleitner.

When will we see the new GT3?

Expect to see the new Porsche GT3 at a motor show in 2013. Sceptics of 911s may be fearing for yet more market saturation and nth degree points of separation, but at least one of CAR's road testers was seen rubbing his hands in anticipation...

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    The 911 project boss August Achleitner said the GT3 team was testing both manual and PDK transmissions, but that a single gearbox - probably the PDK, would get the go-ahead, as only one in three 911 sales are for stick shifts.

'When we launched the 911 Turbo S, we did not offer a manual, but we have not had a single complaint,' said Achleitner.
    The counter-argument to that would be that those customers wanting a manual transmission bought a GT3 or GT2 or their RS variants anyway, so they had nothing to complain about. 
    What do those customers buy when there is no manual GT3 or GT2?

--

fritz

fritz:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:
    The counter-argument to that would be that those customers wanting a manual transmission bought a GT3 or GT2 or their RS variants anyway, so they had nothing to complain about. 
    What do those customers buy when there is no manual GT3 or GT2?

Exactly.  Equating GT3 buyers with Turbo S buyers is missing the point, as these are two entirely different groups of customers, with contrasting interests and requirements.

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    dxpetrov:

...the article seems a bit speculative? Smiley

Porsche 911 GT3 - the new 991 GT3 for 2013

(30 April 2012)

Porsche is already working on its new 991-generation 911 GT3 and this artist's impression gives a flavour for what's in store for the fastest, most focused 911 yet.

The new 991 GT3 is expected to be shown in 2013.

Porsche 911 GT3: what do we know about the 991-spec GT3?

Many of the deals are sketchy, but we're beginning to pick up more details on Porsche's 911 masterplan. CAR's European editor Georg Kacher has previously reported on all the future 991 derivatives.

What is clear from everybody we speak to is that the 991 GT3 will stay true to Porsche's racing roots; this is the version that many enthusiasts hold as the purest 911.

Weight-saving will be rampant, with many of the 911's more luxury-oriented gizmos binned in the name of a lighter kerbweight to boost performance and handling. Did you know you can even get massaging seats in the new 991? Not in the GT3...

What engine will we get in the new 2013 Porsche 911 GT3?

The new GT3 will stick with a high-revving normally aspirated flat six, but not the outgoing Metzger engine we saw put to such devastating use in the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 swansong. It's reputed to put out 450ps, or 444bhp - up 50 ponies from a regular 911 Carrera S - and will use that car's 3.8 as the base for Porsche's motorsport division to work its magic.

American website Inside Line reports that Porsche is likely to choose a single transmission for the GT3 - and it could be a PDK twin-clutch auto 'box, rather than a manual.

When will we see the new GT3?

Expect to see the new Porsche GT3 at a motor show in 2013. Sceptics of 911s may be fearing for yet more market saturation and nth degree points of separation, but at least one of CAR's road testers was seen rubbing his hands in anticipation...

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Actually, my mistake, the article above talks about the gearbox only - yes, but in the last issue of EVO I've read about the electro-mechanical steering that they'd been reading for whole 991 range, including the GT3, which is why they had a lot to do make up for a loss of feeling on centre, New steering system omits just the wheel frequencies below 10Hz which racing drivers were glad they got rid off as it doesn't contribute to steering to be more precise / better. As they say it's only the 'unnecessary noise'... Smiley

Will try to scan it. Smiley

PureBlue:

Exactly.  Equating GT3 buyers with Turbo S buyers is missing the point, as these are two entirely different groups of customers, with contrasting interests and requirements.

Yes and no. I know many people who would be in the market for the GT3 or the Turbo at the same time but unfortunately life isn't always black and white and decisions have to be made.

The GT3 doesn't offer rear seats, which is a problem for many family fathers and the Turbo on the other hand, is less involving in a way or another. To say that interested customers have contrasting interests and requirements isn't quite right but acceptable, while calling the customers two entirely different groups is just plain wrong. I would buy both at the same time if I could afford it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    PureBlue:

Yes and no. I know many people who would be in the market for the GT3 or the Turbo at the same time but unfortunately life isn't always black and white and decisions have to be made.

The GT3 doesn't offer rear seats, which is a problem for many family fathers and the Turbo on the other hand, is less involving in a way or another. To say that interested customers have contrasting interests and requirements isn't quite right but acceptable, while calling the customers two entirely different groups is just plain wrong. I would buy both at the same time if I could afford it.

That may be your view (which is fine), but it's not mine - and I can't think of many knowledgable Porsche enthusiasts who would regard the GT3 and Turbo as interchangable.  Speaking personally, I would love to own a GT3 (and it will probably be my next 911), but I have no interest in owning a Turbo.

For me, there are some fundamental differences.  As a track-biased car, the GT3 is a true driver's car, hard-core, focused and uncompromising - while the Turbo's set-up, trim level and specs make it more of a luxurious GT cruiser.  Undoubtedly, the Turbo is a blisteringly fast car and an absolute blast to pilot across-country on an unrestricted autobahn, but I couldn't imagine choosing it over a GT3 for a track day or an involving drive on a twisty mountain road.  There's a reason why Porsche homologates the GT3 for racing, not the Turbo.  It's about horses for courses.

So, while I think both are superb cars, I think it is fair to say that they appeal to two different groups of customers.  If you want a true, involving driver's car, great on road and track, with few concessions to creature comforts - you buy a GT3.  If you want a great GT car, with stunning levels of speed and acceleration, but still comfortable and luxurious, you buy a Turbo.

In my personal view, this is also what makes a manual transmission the best choice for a GT3, but PDK a logical choice for the Turbo.  We can agree to disagree on this.

PureBlue:  There's a reason why Porsche homologates the GT3 for racing, not the Turbo.  It's about horses for courses.

...that, and the fact that the rules governing GTE are unfavorable to Turbo cars.Smiley

On the whole however, I agree with the rest of your post.

PureBlue:
    RC:
    PureBlue:

Speaking personally, I would love to own a GT3 (and it will probably be my next 911), but I have no interest in owning a Turbo.

I've always wondered why -given your sporty spec for the GTS- you didn't go for a GT3 in the first place, maybe even a slightly used example if price would be an issue. Smiley

Not that I don't love the GTS, but a GT3 remains a different beast altogether...

Porker:
    PureBlue:
    Speaking personally, I would love to own a GT3 (and it will probably be my next 911), but I have no interest in owning a Turbo.

I've always wondered why -given your sporty spec for the GTS- you didn't go for a GT3 in the first place, maybe even a slightly used example if price would be an issue. Smiley

Not that I don't love the GTS, but a GT3 remains a different beast altogether...

A very reasonable question.  Three reasons: availability, price and practicality.

By the time I made the decision to replace my C2S last year (which was quite an impulsive decision), the 997.2 GT3 was no longer available to order, at least not in the SA market.  Having bought the C2S (slightly) used, I really wanted to buy a new 911 and spec it myself - rather than having to live with a spec which was OK, but not quite of my own choosing.  At the time, I could have bought a used 2007 997.1 GT3 (with roughly 20,000 km on the clock) for about the same price as a new GTS - but I specifically didn't want to go back to the 1st gen 997.

Residual values in SA hold up extremely well and are effectively supported by the sole official distributor.  There were very few, if any, used 997.2 GT3s available at the time (which is still the case) and I would have had to pay at least R1.7m for one of those (divide by 10 to get a rough euro equivalent), vs. the R1.26m I paid for the GTS - i.e. a full 35% more.

Finally, there was the issue of practicality.  We only have one child still living with us - she's just turned 12 and can still sit reasonably comfortably in the back seat of a 911 (although this won't be the case for much longer).  With the back seats added as a free option to my GTS, this gives me at least some flexibility to use the 911 for family trips.  For instance, we recently took a 5-day vacation, which involved a 1,500 km round trip - with a GT3, I would not have been able to use the 911 for this trip.

So, in the end it was really a practical decision.  Having said that, I don't regret buying the GTS for a second - it does represent a compromise, but a very, very good one, which still feels special every time I drive it.  Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM