Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991...

palenimbus:

In harder times Porsche could benifit because it's a more modest, "responcible" sports car, opposed to most of the other sports cars on the market which are much more flashy.

I view it differently. The flashy super sport car market target people who are very well off and don't mind paying the high prices. Porsche is priced at the middle point and since it's styling is evolutionary present owners will not want to spend to the money to "upgrade" especially in a weak economy.

Many on this site who own Porsche's will not opt to buy a new one at least in the near or distance future.

--

nberry:
    palenimbus:

In harder times Porsche could benifit because it's a more modest, "responcible" sports car, opposed to most of the other sports cars on the market which are much more flashy.

I view it differently. The flashy super sport car market target people who are very well off and don't mind paying the high prices. Porsche is priced at the middle point and since it's styling is evolutionary present owners will not want to spend to the money to "upgrade" especially in a weak economy.

Many on this site who own Porsche's will not opt to buy a new one at least in the near or distance future.

So far, not sure the economy has hurt Porsche sales --- or sales of cars in the $100,000 range in general. I know Audi is having record years, particularly their very high end models.

A lot of people lease and just turn over the car when the lease is up.

--

"People ignore design that ignores people."

nberry:

Funny, thought that above your post quite a few users indicated to acquire the new model. Apart from that, don´t forget the "emerging" markets where certainly one or two cars will sell...

Smiley

nberry:
    palenimbus:

The 911 is priced so, in order to sell 20.000 per annum. This is its business plan. Buyers of this model just don't want a flashy super sportscar.  Some even don't like those. Something similar to the SL segment for Mercedes, which is also evolutionary and understated even if not so sports oriented as the 911.

Having said the above, Porsche should get into the lucrative 458 segment sooner than later and capture a portion of that market themselves. The car you describe above is the 918, which is coming in the next couple of years.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    reginos:

The Boxster is a superb car. It is considered as a poor relative and snubbed at. Very wrongly IMO. I enjoy the 987 as much as the 997 for a fraction of the cost.

The Spyder is only good for sunny climates of around 25 C max. 30 C. Where is such a place? Maybe Los Angeles and around. 

The Spyder is rather more a car for Las Vegas or Dubai, not for Los Angeles (where it rained a couple of times in June during my stay). The roof "mechanism" is really a pain in the ass. Smiley

As to the ordinary Boxster (S): I like the Boxster but the reputation of this Porsche model is very unfortunate. Performance-wise, it may be capable to keep up with the 997 on the track in tight twists and turns but in real life, the 997 is usually always faster. From 0-200 kph, there is a 4 seconds difference between the 997 Carrera GTS Cab and the latest Boxster S and 4 seconds are really a lot. This is the performance difference between the Turbo S and the Carrera GTS Cab.

From a design point of view, I like the 911 much better than the Boxster. The Boxster looks more "compact", more sports car like, I know but still...the 911 is the 911, I can't explain it.

I think it would be time to offer more power in the Boxster and Cayman because not many 911 buyers would choose the Boxster or Cayman instead. The reason is the rear space of the 911, it allows to transport passengers and especially a lot of luggage. I really doubt that a Boxster or Cayman with 400 hp would seriously hurt 911 sales. Maybe only a little bit but hey, it would stay in the family. Smiley

I've had several iterations of both 987s and 997s and I love the driving dynamics of both. They are different, but both sweet! BUT, there is only one car in the world that gives you the feeling you get when you are hard on the accelerator coming out of a corner, with the steering feeling like it is hardly connected to the ground and all the weight is at the back of the car. I love that feeling especially when going hard at the track! Having said that, Porsche could have priced the Boxster much closer to the 911 and put the 911 engine in it. As for Spyder, I think most of us who owns one have one or several other cars. No, it's not really suitable as a DD, but it's perfect as a sharp canyon tool on a warm summer morning or evening. I sold my first one and miss it so much that I recently procured a second one. In fact, it looks just like RC's GTS being basalt with black wheels and PCCB (Inside is a bit different though as it has lots of leather in cocoa). :)

Ferdie:
    nberry:

Funny, thought that above your post quite a few users indicated to acquire the new model. Apart from that, don´t forget the "emerging" markets where certainly one or two cars will sell...

Smiley

Yup, I'm ready to order one as are 3 of my friends. Despite the weak global economy, I don't think they will struggle with sales as many people have held back from buying a 911 in recent months due to the 991.

Carrara:

.... the 991 looks WORLDS different than the 997. .....Still evolutionary though. ....... most non-car people won't be able to tell much of a difference. 

Smiley

The front LED mustache running lights are the most important design element of the 991 , IMO, and one which gets the most criticism it seems .  If they had stopped flush with the intakes, the 991 wouldn't look anywhere near as wide and low from the front  head -on and quarter views .

Someone should  photoshop them  flush to show what I mean .

From my perspective it looks very different, but that's mainly because of how used to the 997 I am. I know every curve and mm of it. So when one small thing is changed, it makes a difference, and when absolutely every mm is altered, it looks MUCH different, but still evolutionary.

The front looks fantastic few small detail changes make whole lot of difference. Now I wonder how is the back of 4S gonna look like with crossing reflector going across?

Carrara:

From my perspective it looks very different, but that's mainly because of how used to the 997 I am. I know every curve and mm of it. So when one small thing is changed, it makes a difference, and when absolutely every mm is altered, it looks MUCH different, but still evolutionary.

It goes without saying that a true  " car nut " has to have some " nutty " OCD traits, no ?  !

Smiley

Am I the only one who does not want the new 911 to look THAT different from the old one, and really glad it doesnt? 

I think the design is such a classic. The other day to work, i had a 993 in front of me, and in front of that a 996.. Was like a kodak moment, and I thought, honestly, for someone who knew nothing about Porsche, it wouldnt be that easy to tell which came first.. They are all beautiful.

2 things interest me very much tho

1) Steering feel - How that is going to change. I dont like the 997.2 steering wheel as much as the 997.1 one, and it looks like they are staying with it...

2) Interior - Ashamed to say that the dual zone klima will be awesome to have, so that one person need not shiver on the other person's behalf . Also, how the noise will be in the new cabrio is going to be important for me.

Ooh btw, thanks all very much for the pics and info!

Coming to the forum after a LONG time, so had a lot of catching up to do

spudgun:

Maybe one of our talented users could do a photoshop job on the coupe ? Thank you.

I did a quick job, but it gives an idea... cheers!   Smileycabrio991.jpg

very very well done! Im deeply impressed by your PS skills!

WAY:
    Ferdie:
    nberry:

Smiley

Yup, I'm ready to order one as are 3 of my friends. Despite the weak global economy, I don't think they will struggle with sales as many people have held back from buying a 911 in recent months due to the 991.

Smiley

Would be great to see pictures of your Spyder, by the way, as that is an interesting colour combination!

@AIB: hi, welcome to Rennteam - can you please post 991 GT3 renderings on the 991 spyshots thread. This thread is for actual launch photos of the 991. Thanks.

BTW these are re-posts. Best to check what else is here before repeating. Thanks.

@Nuno GTI: hi, welcome to Rennteam - again, same story, please post actual launch photos only on this thread ... we have re-opened the 991 spyshots thread for spyshots & renderings. Thanks.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

My bad... Will delete them... Don't want to mess up this thread... Thanks for the heads up... 

Lars997:
    spudgun:

Maybe one of our talented users could do a photoshop job on the coupe ? Thank you.

I did a quick job, but it gives an idea... cheers!   Smileycabrio991.jpg

very very well done! Im deeply impressed by your PS skills!

It's my daytime job, so not that hard. Thanks anyway, glad I could help. Smiley

--

Morgan Aero 8

Sorry about that... I will delete the post and re-post it in the appropriate topic.

Thanks! Cheers

Here's another render for the convertible. Wondering how the hardtop will look....Remember the spyshots with the hardtop and canvas folding in together??

--

=     =     =       W       I        L        D             S        P       E       E      D     =     =     =

I'm not good at this..lol  I had a go too.

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

Those looks really good ResB and Wild-Speed!

u guys are good!

Very expressive Pics

I just remembered... The MY2013 Porsche 911 is officially the 50th anniversary of the Porsche 911! I bet we'll see a special edition. 

dxpetrov:

lol, my wife said the same! I wouldn't worry... Ordinary people barely recognize BMW 5 from 7 series.... 

There are 2 brand new black BMW 5 and 7 series across the street and I have a hard time telling them apart - and that's as a car enthusiast who knows the differences . They have turned 180 from the flame surface days of past decade and are back to the one sausage cut to different lengths design ethos, incl the upcoming 3 series as shown by spy pics

Really? To me the 5 series and the 7 are very different. I really don't see much similarity.

Although I know the 5 and 7 series very well, I sometimes have problems too to spot the difference, especially on dark colored models and from the side.
    --

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

It's true they're a bit similar, but to me they're the best looking BMW sedans in years, especially the 5 series works really well IMO.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689540 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409223 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255735 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234987 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857960 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774022 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM