Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Install PSE on my 997.2

Install PSE a week ago and have been delighted with the new sound. I installed the remote control from Carnewal and this is a great feature, PSE is always on, even when I switch on the engine in the morning.

The sound difference could be bigger from the stock exhaust, but even so it´s much much better. The funny thing is than you can master the use of throtle in order to have the PSE burbling and gurgling when reducing speed, have you guys notice that?

Thanks to DaveC, Reginos and Gnil for their feedback on the PSE Smiley

J.Seven

Re: Install PSE on my 997.2

The exhaust needs sometime for the metal to burn-in. The sound will gradually become more mellow  and keep improving for sometime.

You drive a Cabrio and you can hear the sound closer to you, even with closed top. In the Coupe it's more remote.

Don't you get the impression that the engine revs more freely at high rpm, too?

--

"Form follows function"

J.Seven:The funny thing is than you can master the use of throtle in order to have the PSE burbling and gurgling when reducing speed, have you guys notice that?

Absolutely, I had PSE for years and I never get tired of doing that Smiley

--

J.Seven:

The sound difference could be bigger from the stock exhaust, but even so it´s much much better. 

Get rid of the center silencer, which did not exist on the 997.1, and then the sound should be louder on par with the 997.1 PSE. I am close to pulling the plug on this mod Smiley

The funny thing is than you can master the use of throtle in order to have the PSE burbling and gurgling when reducing speed, have you guys notice that?

Hehe, yes. I never get bored of this Smiley Gently press the throttle half a centimeter down and keep it there. The burbling, gurgling and my smiling never ends Smiley Seems to be something with DFI to do since the 997.1, or 987.1, with PSE does not keep on burbling and gurgling...

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

I'm very pleased to hear this, as it was the one thing which worried me a bit when deciding to trade in my 997.1 C2S on a GTS - numerous reports suggesting that the 997.2 was much quieter than the 997.1 (even with PSE on).  I didn't want to miss that burbling, growling sound, especially when gearing down

So what I'm reading here is music to my ears - literally.  I will definitely also consider getting rid of the centre silencer, after living with the GTS for a while.  Smiley

I've been discussing getting the remote control with Gert at Carnewal ever since it was recommended by RC for his GTS.

A few of us here on R/T were/are of the opinion that the cut-out (30mph to 50mph) actually doesn't happen on the 997.2 PSE system like it did with the 997.1..

Can anyone clear this up before I make a purchase from Gert?  IOW - does the remote do the job of making PSE louder on 997.2 models or do we still have to consider also removing the centre silencer?

Thanks guys..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

reginos:

Don't you get the impression that the engine revs more freely at high rpm, too?

I had this feeling when I first drove the car just after the PSE install, from 4000rpm up seem to rev freely inded but maybe it was a placebo feeling due to louder/greater sound. Ever since, I wasn´t able to explore the engine till 7000 rpm, but next week wil have some chance to check this out and come back here with my thoughts.

On those first days my fuel comsuption rize from 13,0L/100 to 19,5L/100 Smiley SmileySmiley I found myself riding in 4200rpm on first, second and third gear just to hear the... róróróróróróróróró...what a sound, I was totally blown away by it Smiley

J.Seven

John H:

I've been discussing getting the remote control with Gert at Carnewal ever since it was recommended by RC for his GTS.

A few of us here on R/T were/are of the opinion that the cut-out (30mph to 50mph) actually doesn't happen on the 997.2 PSE system like it did with the 997.1..

Can anyone clear this up before I make a purchase from Gert?  IOW - does the remote do the job of making PSE louder on 997.2 models or do we still have to consider also removing the centre silencer?

Thanks guys..

The remote control only allows you to have PSE valve open at all time, and when you switch off the engine with PSE on, when you re-start the engine, PSE will be on and the noise is Smiley but you don´t have a louder exhaust with it.

It´s frustrating to spend +2000 on PSE and now have to spend +700eur for removing the center silencer and drop a bypass, but I may do it on a near future.

I don´t know what happend to me, I use to think my exhaust was loud enought in stock form, I even thought it was to loud in the begining, and now even with PSE I want more  Smiley

Here´s a video with PSE + bypass

J-Seven

John H:

Thanks guys..

There is no cut-off (i.e. valves closing) on the 997.2 PSE. Porsche added a third silencer (a.k.a. center silencer) which keeps the noise level within regulations all the time and eliminated the need for a cut-off. Hence the quieter sound from the 997.2 compared to the 997.1.

--

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

bluelines:
    John H:

Thanks guys..

There is no cut-off (i.e. valves closing) on the 997.2 PSE. Porsche added a third silencer (a.k.a. center silencer) which keeps the noise level within regulations all the time and eliminated the need for a cut-off. Hence the quieter sound from the 997.2 compared to the 997.1.

So, buying the remote won't make my exhaust sound any louder than if I switch PSE on manually.  I think I can manage that okay..! Smiley

That's actually what Gnil, myself and a few others already thought, but RC seemed taken with the gadget.

Also, Gert at Carnewal, in an email to me, stated - and I quote...

"I was under the impression that there still was a speed-related cut out on the 997-2."

--

I guess the most clear evidence for no cut-off is that one does not hear a cut-off 

Gert's gadget is a remote control for the PSE and it enables the PSE to be enabled as default (i.e. without pressing the exhaust button when starting the engine).

--

By the way John, if you consider the bypass pipes then check-out the R-exhaust from Cargraphic. It bolts on to the factory PSE and includes bypass pipes for the center silencer as well as new headers with catalytic converters. This should result in an excellent sound and Cargraphic claims +20HP for this modification (they are usually spot on when it comes to HP numbers).

--

I have done 50'000 km with the PSE and have not heard any cut. As I said, either I am getting death or there is none . I am much more inclined to to the 2nd option Smiley ( It was clear there was on on the my PSE 997.1 )

But,  as the PSE is much more silent then the 997.1 , when you drive slowly ( 50 to 80 km/h ) the exhaust does not make much sound .

@blueline : Would you dare doing the bypass to drive on our Swiss roads ? Do you think the sound level when flaps closed will be silent enough not to get stopped ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I have done 50'000 km with the PSE and have not heard any cut. As I said, either I am getting death or there is none . I am much more inclined to to the 2nd option Smiley ( It was clear there was on on the my PSE 997.1 )

But,  as the PSE is much more silent then the 997.1 , when you drive slowly ( 50 to 80 km/h ) the exhaust does not make much sound .

@blueline : Would you dare doing the bypass to drive on our Swiss roads ? Do you think the sound level when flaps closed will be silent enough not to get stopped ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I don't think it will be louder than a no-cut-off 997.1 PSE... and we all drove around with that without worrying Smiley Probably not louder than a stock GT3 either.

Compared to a bike or a Ferrari it will still sound much quieter so I don't think it will draw attention. Beats me how all F-cars are "allowed" to sound that loud on the precious Swiss roads. Or maybe they aren't Smiley

--

The thing I miss going from a 997.1 Cab to Turbo.1 Cab - the PSE exhaust note., Have a tubi on the Turbo but no Turbo exhausts sound as good as the NA cars.. Had my PSE on all the time via the easy mod/pulling off the vacuum hose (& plugging it) That same simple mod actually works on my F430 too..

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet - 06 Ferrari F430 - 04 Durango HEMI - 04 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle - 93 Harley Davidson Nostalgia

Had the following email from Gert at Carnewal...

Hi John,

The center silencer of the PSE is internally almost a bypass, so replacing a PSE center muffler it will a complete bypass will not give you a lot of difference.

Even if you don’t have the cut out, our PSE remote avoids that you have to push the PSE button every time you start the car and allows you to keep the valves open. With the original configuration, the default setting of the valves is in the closed position so the DME can never adjust to the open position.

Thanks,

Gert.

Carnewal – Porsche styling, performance and accessories.

--

He is suggesting that the remote 'teaches' the DME to adjust to always open the valves?

Is this possible and what ,if any, damage could result with the DME?  

--

John H:

Hi John,

The center silencer of the PSE is internally almost a bypass, so replacing a PSE center muffler it will a complete bypass will not give you a lot of difference.

Even if you don’t have the cut out, our PSE remote avoids that you have to push the PSE button every time you start the car and allows you to keep the valves open. With the original configuration, the default setting of the valves is in the closed position so the DME can never adjust to the open position.

Thanks,

Gert.

Carnewal – Porsche styling, performance and accessories. 

So this remote control just saves you from pushing the button Smiley or it does something else too?

--

"Form follows function"

Exactly my question.... he seems to suggest that it trains the DME to adjust to being always open...

Also there must be a reason why RC was so taken with it...Smiley

--

So the third centre silencer seems to keep the 997.2 PSE quiet enough so that a 30-50mph cut off isn't required (as on the 997.1 PSE).

Removing that centre silencer would at first seem therefore to be a good thing .... except John, have you considered the implications for the extended warranty in the UK once your original manufacturer's warranty expires after 2 years are up?

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

So the third centre silencer seems to keep the 997.2 PSE quiet enough so that a 30-50mph cut off isn't required (as on the 997.1 PSE).

How did you come to this deduction?

--

"Form follows function"

Have you read what others here have posted?

bluelines:

Get rid of the center silencer, which did not exist on the 997.1, and then the sound should be louder on par with the 997.1 PSE.

bluelines:

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

Removing that centre silencer would at first seem therefore to be a good thing .... except John, have you considered the implications for the extended warranty in the UK once your original manufacturer's warranty expires after 2 years are up?

Easy - I took out an extra year's warranty (making three) as a part of the purchase deal, so hopefully that wouldn't be an issue until maybe year four..

--

John H:

Hi John,

The plot thickens Smiley

I seriously don't understand what Gert means.

The difference from the center muffler might not be big, but it is this very difference that makes the exhaust quiet enough to keep it within the noise regulations.

The statement about the DME adjusting to an open position is simply confusing.

RC could you explain what is so great about Gert's magic device, expect for enabling the flaps open when starting the car. You seem to be the only one with real life experience from this device.

--

easy_rider911:

Have you read what others here have posted?

bluelines:

Get rid of the center silencer, which did not exist on the 997.1, and then the sound should be louder on par with the 997.1 PSE.

bluelines:

But Gert says the opposite about the center box.

A kind of valve has to open/close to generate the extra noise whether there is center silencer or not. With the system OFF only the two inside pipes let gases out. At ON all four open.

Nevertheless. to my ears at least the quality of the 997.2 PSE is higher than that of the 997.1. The essence is the quality of sound not the loudness as such.

--

"Form follows function"

John H:
    easy_rider911:

John, have you considered the implications for the extended warranty in the UK once your original manufacturer's warranty expires after 2 years are up?

Easy - I took out an extra year's warranty (making three) as a part of the purchase deal, so hopefully that wouldn't be an issue until maybe year four..

Sure, good move Smiley

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

bluelines:
    John H:

Hi John,

The plot thickens Smiley

I seriously don't understand what Gert means.

The difference from the center muffler might not be big, but it is this very difference that makes the exhaust quiet enough to keep it within the noise regulations.

The statement about the DME adjusting to an open position is simply confusing.

RC could you explain what is so great about Gert's magic device, expect for enabling the flaps open when starting the car. You seem to be the only one with real life experience from this device.

My dear friends didn't you read my post on this thread ? I install the remote control from Gert and the only thing it does, is mantaining the valves open all time. For those who are making the upgrade like me it's a great feature because it save a bunch of money in labour, you don't need to install the button on the dash which is a considerable time consuming job resulting on a very high labour bill. You don't need to program the PSE via PTS2 too. With Gert device you only need to install the new exhaust and make a 5 min wire conection. Dealer charge me 380eur for labour 23% tax included and PSE cost was 2000 eur including shipping. For those who have the PSE from stock there's no big advantage, but for anyone who wants to do PSE upgrade, Remote control + PSE is the best deal out there. Hope this can clarify some doubts. Feel free to ask any other question. J.Seven

J.Seven:
    For those who are making the upgrade like me it's a great feature because it save a bunch of money in labour, you don't need to install the button on the dash which is a considerable time consuming job resulting on a very high labour bill.

BTW it is not just one button but the whole strip together with the other buttons depending on the specification of the car. This doesn't come with the PSE retrofit kit and has to be ordered separately.

--

"Form follows function"

Guys, there is a huge difference with the "box" from Carnewal. 

It keeps the valves open all the time, which the original setup, even with the sport button pressed, does not. Even with the sport button pressed, the valves operate according to the DME programming but since they open up more (and longer), you get the sportier sound vs. not pressing the sport button. With the little box from Carnewal, this process is eliminated, the valves stay open all the time, thus you have a louder sound than with the original setup, even if the sport button is pressed. 

You actually need to install the box, try it, then go back to the original setup and you'll realize very fast how big the difference is. Especially on the Cab, the difference is huge.

So to actually hear the difference, I would recommend lowering both windows completely and of course opening the sunroof (Coupe). 

As to the negative effects to the engine: I doubt that the slight changes in back pressure have any serious negative effect on the GTS engine. It would probably be different on a turbo engine. Of course torque is changed to some point (and you can actually feel it a little bit) but performance is still the same, I tried several 0-100 kph and 0-200 kph runs (GPS) and the time was 4.4 sec and 14.5 sec, so within original "specs" (both with Sport Plus active and without launch control).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

Guys, there is a huge difference with the "box" from Carnewal. 

It keeps the valves open all the time, which the original setup, even with the sport button pressed, does not. Even with the sport button pressed, the valves operate according to the DME programming but since they open up more (and longer), you get the sportier sound vs. not pressing the sport button. With the little box from Carnewal, this process is eliminated, the valves stay open all the time, thus you have a louder sound than with the original setup, even if the sport button is pressed. 

When you press the PSE button with car idling and go to the back of the car you realize that all 4 pipes let gas out (at OFF only the 2 inside ones) but still the pressure from the outer pipes is very low compared to the inside pipes. This proves that although the valves open they do not open fully at first , but only gradually depending on Porsche programing (revs, speed et al.)

Apparently what RC's trick box does is to fully open the valves from zero and keep them open all the time. Hence more sound all the time.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752807 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430455 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258469 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255392 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868066 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801652 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM