Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991...

RC:
    Well...somebody loves Rennteam (maybe Rossi Smiley ?).  Smiley

And Rennteam loves Rossi!!

Great post.  And thanks for starting the new thread with the real deal.  I was getting a little drawn out by the continued inch-by-inch reveal.

I think the design is near perfect.   A great next iteration of the ongoing legacy.  I'd love to see Porsche make a progressive splash with a new model, but I like the continuity in the 911.

The only line I'm not so sure of is how the turn signals don't line up with the outer edge of the front air intakes.  I bet they will on the turbo, GT2, and GT3, which may have larger intakes...?

Anyway, its loads better looking than the 996, and a think I like it more than the 997 too.

Great job Porsche!

Thanks again Rossi!

Looks great.

Thanks, Rossi!

Funny how on the red car the illumination extends all the way to the edges of the front light cluster, but on the silver car, the illumination stops in line with the grill (like it has appeared through the earlier camo...)

Either there's a switch to allow you to adjust how much illumination you want, or it's photo-shopped...  Yeah, right, that's a good idea...

Sorry to be a cynic here.... Rossi, I see you're a VIP and I'm a Newbie, but isn't this a bit odd?  Can you vouch for the integrity of these photos?  Maybe they're still real, but the usual photo-shop embellishments that make cover shots "perfect" have erred slightly..?

--

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com

RC:

Now you may know why I went for the 997 Carrera GTS but don't get me wrong, I love the new 991, it is a very nice evolution of the 911.

Why didn't Porsche go for a sportier and flatter design ? You will get the answer over the next 2-3 years...I guess. 

Hello Christian,

Well...you definately made the better choice with the 997..the 991 looks even worse than in the last spy shots..the front...well..a change to the 997 - altough not that big the whole proportions do not fit anymore..the lights are far to right and left compared to the line of the roof. The back with these laid in lights..like 928 from 77..ugly..the intererior..well with beige intererior even a 997 looks luxurios..if you would see it in black plastic  - then...Smiley

Something else, you have been talking about track performance..Porsche has already in the German media mentioned the following numbers - I know I repeat myselfy:

991 standards: 8:05

991S: 7:50

with some optional equipement it is less than 7:50...how much less is unclear (different sources say different things) .I definately do not believe that with extra optional equipment on the 991S you get down to 7:37..now way..that would be another 13s off the normal already fast 991S. Besides, with the 7:37 you would be faster than the 458 with almost 200hp more..me and kreso had a little discussion about this.

Youre of course welcome to give inputs to this discussion..but please stay realistic..somebody else in another forum was trying to tell me the 991S could lap the ring in 7:30...faster than the Carrara GT..Smiley

PS: Congratualtions to Rennteam - world leader in Porsche spy shots and the first one to have the details..even before Porsche AG !Smiley

I cannot believe they went back to buttons on the steering wheel instead of paddles. It will be a deal breaker for me.

Otherwise, the car looks updated but nevertheless it is a .

--

I love the new 991; thanks Rossi! 

nberry:

I cannot believe they went back to buttons on the steering wheel instead of paddles. It will be a deal breaker for me.

Otherwise, the car looks updated but nevertheless it is a .

Paddles will be optional (as they are now) - you can have either (or my preference, neither).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Bring on more pictures! This is a great day.

It appears the PDK cars get additional cooling in the lower front center air intake.   The cutout looks a little cheap.  But overall the new 911 looks fantastic.  

BlackOctober:

The silver car has red brake callipers, the red car has black ones - what's that all about?

The car with red callipers is Carrera S,the other one with black callipers - regular Carrera

To put more flesh on those bones:

-  Black calipers = standard brakes

-  Red calipers ("Big Reds")  = bigger brakes

-  Yellow calipers  = biggest and best brakes (PCCB)

--

fritz

davew (cincy):

The only line I'm not so sure of is how the turn signals don't line up with the outer edge of the front air intakes.  I bet they will on the turbo, GT2, and GT3, which may have larger intakes...?

I don't think they will use different blinkers, for cost and build reasons, , and as this one goes down on the end, how would they be able to align them ? 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Are we 100% certain these pics are accurate? There seems to be less detail in the front & rear lights like there's still some photoshop involved.

If it's final, can't believe the non-integrated, funky Japanese looking  foglights are real.  And how the angle of the body's lines around the undersized tail lights doesn't flow with the angle of the lights.  I didn't think they'd intentionally botch the lighting details to this degree to have things they could "fix"  on the 991.2.

Hah, I called the big PORSCHE lettering first on the other thread. It just seems obvious to me with that much space there.

Thank you Rossi for the pictures! Smiley

On the other hand, I hate it. What is with the front blinkers? Looks like a chinese moustache!

Also the detail inside the headlight is curved down...

The whole front because of those two details looks sad!

And the rear is a bulk of metal!!!

Gone is the subtle part. 997 was looking nimble!

Looks like an old man's car. Born old.

--

There is no try. Just do.

Thanks Rossi SmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

Pentium:

Thank you Rossi for the pictures! Smiley

On the other hand, I hate it. What is with the front blinkers? Looks like a chinese moustache!

Also the detail inside the headlight is curved down...

The whole front because of those two details looks sad!

And the rear is a bulk of metal!!!

Gone is the subtle part. 997 was looking nimble!

Looks like an old man's car. Born old.

cant agree more pentium..Smiley

I am thrilled with this design!  A major evolution toward a more powerful and attractive car.  A bit more GT like, but that suits me just fine.  Hooray for P:orsche, Rossi and Rennteam!

I just hope it is one of those cars that look better in real life than in pictures...

--

There is no try. Just do.

I like what I see ... the 997 looks a little bit outdated to me.

This looks very fresh and more grown up!!!

Great Job - Porsche!!!  

Are there pics of the rear seats? Oh yeah, thanks Rossi and RT!

Gnil,

I think you're right.  They would probably do different blinkers along with a different bumper.revised front.JPG

Not too fond of the LED slits in the front, they look kinda weird, like they had to cut them so they would fit but maybe they will grow on me in the future... Totally loving the back though!!! Front is also very aggressive and lowering the height of the car makes it so much more sporty. Plus the interior is quite nice, a little too GT style, but my sister has the new Cayenne and I feel I can never get enough of the interior, it makes the car feel so very luxurious and for the price we pay for our beauties a little luxury with the sportiness isn't so bad (for me at least). Anyone notice that the wart grew some foreskin?!?!... Definitely going to place a trade in order... Any news on when orders can be taken and deliveries made, and or pricing?...Next thread is going to be about options and color combo's..  :) Thanks Rossi... 

Now I don't know what's real and what's not at all!!
    --

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com

I think white with cocoa natural leather for me. PDK, paddles, sports chrono plus, DEM, PSE, big wheels completes it for me. Question is, should I wait for turbo instead???

Budster,

Mine was a PShop (poor one at that!)

If Rossi posts his as legit (which he did), then there is no cause to doubt his.  Many here are very connected to Porsche, and that's why this site rules.

Sorry if I muddied the waters by posting a Pshop.

Pentium:

I just hope it is one of those cars that look better in real life than in pictures...

I think it looks very good already. Just a few details here and there that everyone of us would like different to his preference. It's like wanting to change the lobe of the ears on an attractive girl just for your whim.

I can say that my 997.2 already looks out-dated next to this. But OTOH my car looks more minimalist compared to the new one which is something I like.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Pentium:

I think it looks very good already. Just a few details here and there that everyone of us would like different to his preference. It's like wanting to change the lobe of the ears on an attractive girl just for your whim.

I can say that my 997.2 already looks out-dated next to this. But OTOH my car looks more minimalist compared to the new one which is something I like.

I agree with you. I looked couple of pics of 997 next to this and it definitely looks dated already. Especially the taller side view of the 997 and the less edgy rear.

I completely agree too!

Mark me down as very pleased with the design.  Especially in Guards Red.  I love it!

kudos to the entire vw design and marketing team.

WAY:
    reginos:
    Pentium:

I agree with you. I looked couple of pics of 997 next to this and it definitely looks dated already. Especially the taller side view of the 997 and the less edgy rear.

+1 Good job Porsche
     and I am glad they keep the round headlight

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689871 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409397 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255814 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235051 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65570 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858149 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774247 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM