Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991...

IMG_9474.jpg

Haven't seen anything mentioned about the option clearly shown in this image where the ring around the headlight is painted in the exteriour colour. Looks cool and makes it more different from the 997 headlight! kiss

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

war_hawk:

The time of the new 991 on the 1/4 mile run is rubbish. That's a 400ps car that weights less than 1500kg and has to be in the low 12's not in the high. That's the time of the old 997S with the 355ps.. Smiley shame..

+1

--

Bye!

J.Seven:

My dealer called me inviting me for the official presentation and test drive on 1th December in Algarve but I wont be able to go, only 7000Km distance and professional meetings could prevent me from being present at such event. He was two days ago in Sevilha circuit testing the car and liked it very much.. Only bad remarque he made was the rear space seats, the roof is too low making the head space almost zero for a mid adult,  he said it has less space than  997, apart from that, perfect Smiley

J.Seven

Ouvi falar foi no dia 2 de Dezembro no Centro Porsche Leiria.

--
    This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

gian61:
    war_hawk:

The time of the new 991 on the 1/4 mile run is rubbish. That's a 400ps car that weights less than 1500kg and has to be in the low 12's not in the high. That's the time of the old 997S with the 355ps.. Smiley shame..

+1

What is the explanation for this?

--

"Form follows function"

Hi Reginos!  I always enjoy your posts, so I will take a shot at answering this.  I think he is referring to the Inside Line test which has the 991S at 12.7 for the quarter mile.  The car was a manual, so a PDK would be faster and I guess not "rubbish".   

Frankly, I don't like posts that use words like "rubbish" etc.,  Pretty juvenile, IMHO.  But I respect you so I thought I would at least respond.

Best wishes for the holidays.  Folks here in the U.S. spent money like crazy on Black Friday.  I for one will be spending time at the health club trying to work off huge calorie intake....

Wonderbar:

Frankly, I don't like posts that use words like "rubbish" etc.,  Pretty juvenile, IMHO. 

That in itself can be considered a personal juvenile attack on the poster that used the word "rubbish". Your point of your post did not need your "IMHO"..

Sorry, but I felt I needed to point the fact out

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Wonderbar:

Hi Reginos!  I always enjoy your posts, so I will take a shot at answering this.  I think he is referring to the Inside Line test which has the 991S at 12.7 for the quarter mile.  The car was a manual, so a PDK would be faster and I guess not "rubbish".   

Frankly, I don't like posts that use words like "rubbish" etc.,  Pretty juvenile, IMHO.  But I respect you so I thought I would at least respond.

Best wishes for the holidays.  Folks here in the U.S. spent money like crazy on Black Friday.  I for one will be spending time at the health club trying to work off huge calorie intake....

Yes, I'm referring to the inside line and 991S time of 12.7. Doesn't matter that the car is a manual... for me a car that has 400ps and weights 1450kg can't have such a bad time. I'll be waiting for some other tests on the manual but that time is like the time of the 2005 carrera s( which is also a manual but has 45ps less). I'll be very disappointed with the 991 if that time shows again in other tests.

And of course it will be faster with PDK but the 997S mk2 with pdk is in the 11's, so do you think a PDK will shave a whole second of the quarter? Don't think so...

Thanks WAr Hawk. Now I understand...

Calm down guys. 12.7 isn't a "horrible" time, and you have to remember there are A LOT  of variables that go into these meaningless numbers.

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:
    J.Seven:

My dealer called me inviting me for the official presentation and test drive on 1th December in Algarve but I wont be able to go, only 7000Km distance and professional meetings could prevent me from being present at such event. He was two days ago in Sevilha circuit testing the car and liked it very much.. Only bad remarque he made was the rear space seats, the roof is too low making the head space almost zero for a mid adult,  he said it has less space than  997, apart from that, perfect Smiley

J.Seven

Ouvi falar foi no dia 2 de Dezembro no Centro Porsche Leiria.

I got an invitation from Porsche (991 presentation on 3rd December, 10:00 p.m., Kapital Disco). Smiley

Auto motor sport test of the 991S with PDK, PCCB, PASM

weight: 1487kg
    0-62mph (100 km/h) in 4.1 seconds
    1/4 mile: 12.3 seconds @ 117mph

Again 1/4 mile time is worse than the 997S with PDK.

I'm starting to think that the 997S is faster from a dig but it shouldn't be...

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991... (LAUNCH thread)

I got an email from my Porsche dealership letting me know that they could now accept orders for Cabriolets. I put together a list of all the options I wanted and sent it back to the dealership. I got a phone call a little while later letting me know that the ordering system would not accept my order. Turns out that they are not currently accepting orders for cars with manual transmissions. This is true for both coupes and cabs. The dealership is going to call PCNA on Monday to try to find out how long this hold will last.

My dealership (in California) said they expected to get their first "launch" coupes the end of December. They said they expected to start selling Cabriolets the end of March.

To the UK posters and if your near Reading Bershire dealership.

First 991's will be in the showroom from December 5th.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

It will be this Thursday (1st) for all of Spain's dealerships. 

--

Someone had mentioned that CH knew how to drive...

what about this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MPh6ZD6NrTY

Thanks for that one!

Very good review by  Winding Road.

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/driven-2012-porsche-911-carrera-s/

dxpetrov:

Very good review by  Winding Road.

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/driven-2012-porsche-911-carrera-s/

A puff piece, and this says it all:

"The vast majority of drivers of 911s have not been the types of people to really get the most out of their car when confronted with a twisty, sunny, country two-lane. Rarely do they ever really take the engine up to the 7000-plus rpm zone. The majority love the 911 in little moments of gusto between traffic lights, and love the storied image a 911 brings to the minds of all of us. "

The real fans are the type of people to get the most out of their car when confronted with a twisty, sunny, country two-lane. Often take the engine up to the 7000-plus rpm zone.

PAG knows their present customers well. :) 

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

The 991 electrically-assisted steering is an engineering marvel. It uses a closed-loop controlled electric motor attached to the rack via a belt actuating a ring with recirculating ball bearings.

1 Housing with steering rack
    2 Steering spindle connection
    3 Torque sensor
    4 Steering pinion
    5 Sensor cable
    6 Electronic control unit
    7 Electric motor
    8 Power steering gear

1 Small toothed disc/electric motor
    2 Toothed belt
    3 Steering rack/ball thread
    4 Large toothed disc/ball recirculating nut
    5 Ball recirculating nut
    6 Balls/ball chain
    7 Return channel

The feedback loop which incorporates inputs from a myriad of sensors, actually drives the steering on its own. For example it senses different left and right grip surfaces and turns the steering to compensate (independently of the driver input).

Amazing steering evolution. Next step: the car drives itself. :)

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

ADias:

A puff piece, and this says it all:

"The vast majority of drivers of 911s have not been the types of people to really get the most out of their car when confronted with a twisty, sunny, country two-lane. Rarely do they ever really take the engine up to the 7000-plus rpm zone. The majority love the 911 in little moments of gusto between traffic lights, and love the storied image a 911 brings to the minds of all of us. "

The real fans are the type of people to get the most out of their car when confronted with a twisty, sunny, country two-lane. Often take the engine up to the 7000-plus rpm zone.

PAG knows their present customers well. :) 

I actually think they are spot-on.

There are very few 911 owners who actually know how fast their cars can go, or have the skill to drive it properly. I'm sure most 911 owners on the forums do as we are the enthusiasts, but the harsh reality is that most 911 owners are not and we are a minority. There is a reason that the best selling 997 globally was a C4 Cab Tiptronic and not a similarly priced GT3, which sells perhaps 10% in comparison.

The only consolation is that Ferrari drivers are worse.

MotorAuthority - 2012 Best Car To Buy Winner:

2012 Porsche 911

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1069889_2012-best-car-to-buy-winner-2012-porsche-911

--

Carlos from Spain:
    MotorAuthority - 2012 Best Car To Buy Winner:

2012 Porsche 911

...as well it should be! 

Another well-deserved accolade.  Smiley

The 991 Carrera is now a GT , that is clear to me. The best GT for sure , but it can't be in the pure sports car anymore. It has way too many ' luxury' , comfort , options.

But it will not make a difference to the driving pleasure 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

It has way too many ' luxury' , comfort , options.

Only if you order all these comfort options Smiley

Gnil:

The 991 Carrera is now a GT , that is clear to me. The best GT for sure , but it can't be in the pure sports car anymore. It has way too many ' luxury' , comfort , options.

Even if you spec it so. Example, have the -20.?.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Gnil:

I expect that the 991 will be a better sportscar than 997.2 but at the same time a more comfortable car during a long drive

We shouldn't be misled by a small increase in dimensions and a more decorated interior into thinking that it is a Jaguar or a BMW.

--

"Form follows function"

It's easy to ridicule the poseurs, wannabes, and social climbers, but in fact Porsche has produced far far too many sports cars to sell only to the enthusiasts or track day aficianados.  Porsche's production and sales targets cannot be sustained by a relatively small cadre of knowledgeable, skilled, and deserving owners.  Porsche has endeavored to produce a not necessarily hot shoe for every foot. 

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Nice response, Dave, thanks.  Here are my additional comments:

1.  We are talking about the new 991, which in standard and S forms, are entry level 911s.  If someone wants a purer sports car experience, there will be GTS, GT2-3 models, etc.  Porsche does a wonderful job offering models made to fit drivers' preferences.

2.  There are thousands of deservng and knowledgeable buyers who love Porsches, drive them enthusiastically and responsibly, take care of them, enjoy Porsche Club events and experiences (for example), but don't track their cars frequently or want a more sports-aggressive type experience. 

3.  I am not sure if I understand the GT or not GT distinction.  Seems to me if one wants a non-GT 991, just order fewer "luxury" options or a GT model.  And is a 997 loaded with luxury options not a GT car?  And Porsche races in the GT category all around the world.  I guess a sports car Porsche becomes a GT Porsche when a buyer views it as such, and that's fine with me.  Each to his own...

Wonderbar:

Nice response, Dave, thanks.  Here are my additional comments:

1.  We are talking about the new 991, which in standard and S forms, are entry level 911s.  If someone wants a purer sports car experience, there will be GTS, GT2-3 models, etc.  Porsche does a wonderful job offering models made to fit drivers' preferences.

2.  There are thousands of deservng and knowledgeable buyers who love Porsches, drive them enthusiastically and responsibly, take care of them, enjoy Porsche Club events and experiences (for example), but don't track their cars frequently or want a more sports-aggressive type experience. 

3.  I am not sure if I understand the GT or not GT distinction.  Seems to me if one wants a non-GT 991, just order fewer "luxury" options or a GT model.  And is a 997 loaded with luxury options not a GT car?  And Porsche races in the GT category all around the world.  I guess a sports car Porsche becomes a GT Porsche when a buyer views it as such, and that's fine with me.  Each to his own...

Good post.  Smiley  Logical and incisive.  IMO we spend far too much time discussing labels and getting heated about non-issues.  Buy what you like and enjoy it the way you like.  Full stop.

Fact remains Porsche did a wonderful job improving upon the 997 while keeping the true 911 DNA.

It's still a 100% original true to its creation if you don't look at things anally.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690475 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255993 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235271 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65647 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858405 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774682 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM