Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991...

Well I just mean like a standard PDK transmission. You can do sequential shifts in  the current PDK, but the shifter is small, and nobody hardly ever uses it. It'd be cool if there was a tall carbon fiber shift knob that would make people actually want to use the sequential mode.

Grant:
    Carrara:

I think it would be cool if on the GT3 they offered a heavy duty sequential style shifter for the GT3 PDK. After all, the GT3 Cup's sequential is virtually clutchless. The only reason you have to engage the clutch on downshifts is for longevity. 

But the sequential drives like crap even in the paddock, not to mention in traffic in a big city.

I believe there is an earlier post where Porsche outlined the next generation of the GT3 having a PDK sport transmission.  The PDK transmission was born in the 1980's for 96x  race cars.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

The Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe name dates from 1983, when the first experimental version was developed and used in a 956 . A 956 with the experimental gearbox won a German national championship race, and a couple of years later a 962, the 956's descendant, equipped with the gearbox won an international championship race at Monza, in Italy.

hopefully 991 Turbo version will have also PDK-S...

very interersting to understand its torque level limits

Grant:
     But, the 991 GT3 is due to receive PDK-S with lighter weight and hopefully will have 7 real performance close ratios (not just a tacked on cruising 7th gear).

On the subject of the 991 GT3, do we have any idea yet of what engine Porsche plans to use for the next-generation GT series (now that the Mezger engine appears to have been consigned to history)?  If there has been no indication from PAG (as I suspect), what do you guys think is the most likely option?

It seems most likely that it will be a modified 9A1 (don't yet know if this means Ti Conrods and True Dry Sump yet).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

I'm reminded of Richard Hammond's comment about the Panamera Turbo's stop/start, "It's like living in Buckingham Palace, but staying only in the kitchen to save wear on the carpets." The German Panamera S I drove last year had stop/start on my default. I thought the car died a couple of times until I realized what happened. So long as the feature is sticky, I can tolerate it. Having to change the setting every time you started would be a huge pain in the butt.

Jim_in_Iowa:
    So long as the feature is sticky, I can tolerate it. Having to change the setting every time you started would be a huge pain in the butt.

I have been informed that all Porsche start/stop mode controls (in USA for sure) are configured as "default last mode", which means "sticky".  I can have my 2010 Panamera Turbo updated for free by a firmware upload.

Not to worry.  "Sticky" to "Off" makes it disappear forever, right?

Also, there is no extra cost burden involved.  Since Porsche MUST do this for some of their markets, making every car capable as a standard design reduces the variations and complications.  To make two different platform variations, one with all-electric power accessories, and one with conventional would raise the cost of both versions.

It's really a "free" option for every buyer when the overall costs are taken in to account.

So, again, if it's actually "free" and there is no inconvenience by leaving the "sticky" switch in the "Off" position, where is the practical objection? Smiley

Seems to me to be the best of both worlds.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

Having it OFF unless turned on would obviously make it irrelevant which is a good thing imo. Hopefully that will be the case. To me it would be less of a big deal I think on PDK Coupes. Stick shift convertibles (when on) especially w/ PSE (if it's always on) or AM  exhaust I think would be another story. I'm still very curious about what happens on a steep incline w/ a stick shift if the stop/start turns the car off. 

Not sure that I could agree that this hasn't increased costs to customers at all. That's it's "free"... If all of the models are more expensive because they all have to have it/ it would be just as costly if only some had it,  doesn't mean there's no extra cost burden.. The fact that they "MUST do it  for some markets" doesn't mean the cost for the tech isn't going to be factored into the US car's also with the tech.. Even if the US cars didn't have it at all, the cost of the US cars would probably still be ever so slightly higher because there's a cost to comply in ROW....I'm sure there's been plenty spent across the board on this from R&D to parts to labor to safety testing even down to marketing, like that video.. .... There are profit targets/goals to be met & bean counters consider costs, costs..It's an additional, extra technology & nothing extra in the Porsche world is "free" or even cheap..

Question: How would you guys honestly feel if this kind of thing was put on all 458's, you didn't have a choice?

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet - 06 Ferrari F430 - 04 Durango HEMI - 04 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle - 93 Harley Davidson Nostalgia

Autobild 36/2011 brings an article with the 991 S...

Can`t read in german... if someone read it, please tell us what`s theirs thoughts on the 991 S.

Thanks

source: autobild.de

AB_36-2011.jpg

pjd:

Autobild 36/2011 brings an article with the 991...

Can`t read in german... if someone read it, please tell us what`s theirs thoughts on the 991.

Thanks

Can't read it as well, it's too small. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I predict the off function will be eliminated in a few years. Drivers will have no choice.

Greg, I do not believe Ferrari has the same mileage and emission concerns that Porsche has.

--

Rossi:
    pjd:

Can`t read in german... if someone read it, please tell us what`s theirs thoughts on the 991.

Thanks

Smiley      Smiley    Smiley

amazon:
    Rossi:
    pjd:

Thanks

Smiley      Smiley    Smiley

Smiley I was thinking if somebody buys the magazine to read to us Smiley

Need for Speed The Run - Porsche 911 (991) Carrera S Trailer

nberry:

I predict the off function will be eliminated in a few years. Drivers will have no choice.

Greg, I do not believe Ferrari has the same mileage and emission concerns that Porsche has.

I know, I was just asking/curious if people would be happy to have it on their Ferrari.. 

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet - 06 Ferrari F430 - 04 Durango HEMI - 04 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle - 93 Harley Davidson Nostalgia

Love that NFS trailor

STRADALE:
    nberry:

I know, I was just asking/curious if people would be happy to have it on their Ferrari.. 

AFAIK this is an option for the 458 and the Cali.

I can imagine having such a system in a Porsche, especially in a Turbo, since this car is relatively quiet at idle. But just imagine you are driving your new Ferrari with this sound WRRROOOOOAAAAARRR and then you come to the red traffic lights. Then all of a sudden with a fine stalling noise the engine dies. Unbelievable. Smiley

--

bigantballs:

From Milanno Artworks:

1315422375085milanno 1.jpg

Once we move to a 991 that "needs" 20 inch wheels to look correct, it seemed only a matter of time till the aftermarket moves to convince owners that 20 inch is now too small, and you need 22 inch,  or... 24 inch??  Smiley  Can we spell "bling" ??

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I like the NFS trailer, but will never buy another game from them as they're the reason there's no Porsche in Forza 4. 

Great to hear that it will be "sticky". If it were like 997 sport exhaust that required poking a button on every start up to get it the way you want, that would be a nuisance. Software is great, almost magic-like, but if it doesn't do what you want, you can be stuck. Now when is Porsche going to put 12V accessory power somewhere up near the visor so we may plug in Mike's essential driving companion?

STRADALE:

As has been said the Ferrari California has had it as an option for a while, likely to be standard soon. Same as Porsche, can be switched off.

It's simply a feature that's going to become more standard on most cars over time, just like ABS, power-steering, stability-control.

Once manufacturers learn how to program the software is basically not much more than a software fix in a car, since all cars have a starter motor already. It's going to be a really easy way for all manufacturers to gain a vital few mpg in the tests. Whether it has the same value in the real world is debatable, but globally imagine how many cars are sat stationary at any one time! Less petrol used = more years of petrol for us car lovers..... :)

Rossi:

I can imagine having such a system in a Porsche, especially in a Turbo, since this car is relatively quiet at idle. But just imagine you are driving your new Ferrari with this sound WRRROOOOOAAAAARRR and then you come to the red traffic lights. Then all of a sudden with a fine stalling noise the engine dies. Unbelievable. Smiley

Stefan,

Ferrari have altered the start up on their start stop system so that the car does not not roar into life the way it does when you first press the start button. It restarts much more discreetly I believe.

Just an FYI - and why I love this country -

The US 991 base model will cost $82K or $59K Euros!

Thanks!

Anyone in Germany want to buy my first one used after a few miles?

Must be strong dollar?  No that is not it.  Must be because we don't get to drive them fast - yep, that is it.

Did I mention we get a 4yr 50K miles warranty too?

I hope I end this discussion here and now.

If you don't like start-stop, turn it off.

If one day there is no turn off option, have a technician remove the system, I'm sure there's a way.

End of discussion! I hope I solved anyone's concerns!

ISUK:
    Rossi:

Stefan,

Ferrari have altered the start up on their start stop system so that the car does not not roar into life the way it does when you first press the start button. It restarts much more discreetly I believe.

I appreciate that. I always found the roar a bit prepubescent, something like "look at me, I'm the loudest". IMO they should also calm down the first roar when you press the start button. Smiley

--

Hey Rossi, I said discussion over! Smiley Smiley

Judging by the tape marks in these shots, this car used to be a camoflaged test mule! The interior colour doesn't seem typical of a test mule though, so I don't know. Smiley

Carrara:

Hey Rossi, I said discussion over! Smiley Smiley

Judging by the tape marks in these shots, this car used to be a camoflaged test mule! The interior colour doesn't seem typical of a test mule though, so I don't know. 

Agree on #1...

On #2... I seem to remember that some testmules did indeed feature a beige interior.

Click to enlarge

photo.PNG

photo(1).PNG

photo(2).PNG

photo(3).PNG

photo(4).PNG

photo(5).PNG

photo(6).PNG

photo(7).PNG

photo(8).PNG

photo(9).PNG

--
    Happy Driving

Ron (Houston):

Click to enlarge

photo(6).PNG

If only they wouldn't use old, fat, ugly men in the pictures - does nothing for the stereotype!Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690709 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409914 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256105 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235347 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65728 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858660 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774865 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM