Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The future of F1?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2011/06/circuits_weigh_into_engine_row.html

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

He believes the ear-splitting screech of the current 2.4-litre V8s is a critical part of the spectacle of F1 and that the introduction of the new engines, which will have a different and probably more muted sound, will reduce the sport's appeal.

Agreed! I always said the banshee out of hell wail of a high revving engine was a signature of F1 and part of its appeal. Specially I found the V10 era the most aurally appealing.

Fascinating data ...

DRS has only accounted for 29% of all overtaking in the 2011 season so far.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7050459/Only-29-of-passes-down-to-DRS

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I guess the issue is which of these technologies (e.g. DRS, KERS, tyres that degrade faster, blown exhaust diffusers, off-throttle blown exhaust diffusers) has worked for the betterment of the future of F1?

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I would imagine that the drivers who make the best use of them will decide if there is a betterment and to what extent...?

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

A few thoughts:

1. Introduce common body, thereby eliminating 99% of aero testing ($$$$) currently being spent. Do we really care about aerodynamics? No ROI for viewers. NASCAR has had success with this rule. 

2. Prefer 6 cylinder turbos instead of 4cylinders. BUT would like a more open engine development rules.  Isn't this more appealing to current engine manufacturers - Ferrari, MB, Renault etc?

3. Re-introduce fueling during pit stops & reduce tank size.  Balance of HP vs fuel mileage would make things interesting.

4. Like current tires with shorter lifespan, which has increased passing. Would eliminate mandatory use of both tire compounds. It drives me crazy. Only series with this rule......

5. Like KERS, DRS. Has introduced more passing opportunities.

Cheers 

+1

I would go that far in re-introducing H-manual gearchanging as in these days it's +80% car and -20% driver and the difference in a good driver should be in my opinion over 50% where a fantastic driver can make up for the flaws on a car. HP wise they should be "hard to control" beasts - otherwise why should I pay a playstation-kid 20 Mio for ? F1 became way to technical - in Silverstone I could see with my own eye even the difference in the first corner between a Red-bull and a HRT - ridiculous....and I don't believe it's the driver.

Like it or not, F1 is a technological showcase. The driver is a secondary element. This is fine by me. All I want is more technical liberties, i.e. in engine development.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

...and yet it's the Driver's championship that carries the real weight and not the Manufacturer's championship.

Depends on what we mean by 'real weight' ...

In terms of glamour, popular appeal etc, the Drivers' Title matters far more ...

In terms of teams earning a share of the annual F1 revenue, this is shared out by Bernie according to the number of points each team has in the Constructors' Championship alone ... without this lifeline, there would be no F1.

--

RT Moderator 

I meant amongst the fans/public. (sorry I should have been more precise)

The use of the term "showcase" indicates a connection to the public.

Spyderidol:

...and yet it's the Driver's championship that carries the real weight and not the Manufacturer's championship.

Says who? All the teams go after the constructors title! I, as a fan, am interested in what my team is doing, and so does the vast majority of the tifosi. We are supporting and loving Ferrari and not its employees (i.e. drivers).

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

As I have said before - Ferrari and their tifosi is an exception.

Ask 90% of F1 fans who won the F1 drivers championship last year , and they will be able to reply within 3 seconds flat. Not only will they give last years winner's name , but they will also most likely recite the winners of the last 5 years , their nationality and in what country they reside in.

Ask them however, who won the manufacturer's championship, and they tend to look at you as if you are from another planet.

(admittedly - it hasn't been very difficult to follow lately)

REALZEUS:
    Spyderidol:

Says who? All the teams go after the constructors title! I, as a fan, am interested in what my team is doing, and so does the vast majority of the tifosi. We are supporting and loving Ferrari and not its employees (i.e. drivers).

Says I, for one.

Spyderidol has already explained the reasons in his post.

--

fritz

fritz:
    REALZEUS:
    Spyderidol:

Says I, for one.

+1 ...

Ferrari fans will support whoever is driving for Ferrari ... right now they adore FA ... if FA ever left Ferrari, their love would swiftly transfer to whoever the new Ferrari driver is.

However, this is unique to Ferrari ...

Other teams really don't have this kind of following ... so fans of particular drivers will transfer their focus and loyalties to whichever team a particular driver happens to be driving for.

--

RT Moderator 

Spyderidol:

I meant amongst the fans/public. (sorry I should have been more precise)

No problem at all Smiley

--

RT Moderator 

REALZEUS:
    Spyderidol:

I honestly don't think so. People like Ross Brawn,MS, etc made Ferrari successfull - not Ferrari them. As a brand with it's history n passion 100% agree - but those times are being replaced by money long time ago sadly.

REALZEUS:

Like it or not, F1 is a technological showcase. The driver is a secondary element. This is fine by me. All I want is more technical liberties, i.e. in engine development.

technological showcase ? Aerodynamics are limited, RPM's are limited, Fuel is limited, Tires, DRS, mappings, weight, clearance, TC, fantastic ideas like diffusers , amount of engines etc etc.... - the engineers/teams could do much better & faster ! - and don't go to budget discussion as still the teams with the most money are in front....(how much again did they said the develop of a new engine costs ?)

again - drivers in the past were heros with blisters on their hand in monaco while shifting 2000 times - but drivers like Vettel (although a good one) who cannot even gratulate his teammate anymore just because he beat him during qualy are not impressing me at all - nor will a 1.6 Liter V6 T will do the trick... I believe the sport could be so much more interesting - but it's artificially put on a low burner because of "safety and environmental "green" reasons - although 2% of the CO2 comes from the cars vs 98% from bringing the teams & staff to the races.... 

easy_rider911:
    fritz:
    REALZEUS:
    Spyderidol:

Says I, for one.

+1 ...

Ferrari fans will support whoever is driving for Ferrari ... right now they adore FA ... if FA ever left Ferrari, their love would swiftly transfer to whoever the new Ferrari driver is.

However, this is unique to Ferrari ...

Other teams really don't have this kind of following ... so fans of particular drivers will transfer their focus and loyalties to whichever team a particular driver happens to be driving for.

Ferrari fans are the majority of F1 fans though. Hence, it is unimportant who drives for the team, as long as they win. I couldn't care less for Alonso, Massa or Schumacher on a personal level. They are just employees working for the team. You need to visit Italy to see their passion for everything Ferrari. It's more than a national team to them, it's like a religion! Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

Ferrari fans are the majority of F1 fans though. ....You need to visit Italy to see their passion for everything Ferrari. It's more than a national team to them, it's like a religion! Smiley

What facts do you base this on? The Tifosi are not "the majority of F1 fans" Smiley They are AFAIK the biggest contingent of fans for a single race team but they are overall a significant minority.of F1 fans.

Of course, I have visited Italy numerous times ... I have family who live there ... my sister-in-law is married to a Roman for heaven's sake! SmileySmiley

--

RT Moderator 

A Religion build my German expertise

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

And the axe falls on the Turkish F1 Grand Prix for 2012

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14348303.stm

Very sad news ... I love Istanbul ... I should have gone to see a F1 race there while there was a chance ...

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

I 'd rather have Imola back, or a GP in Russia. I won't miss the turkish race.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

Ferrari fans are the majority of F1 fans though. Hence, it is unimportant who drives for the team, as long as they win. I couldn't care less for Alonso, Massa or Schumacher on a personal level. They are just employees working for the team. You need to visit Italy to see their passion for everything Ferrari. It's more than a national team to them, it's like a religion! Smiley

Not all F1 fans follow a Team. I've been following F1 for as long as I can remember and I have always been a Driver fan even when my favourite driver raced for a Team I wasn't very fond of (like Ferrari or Williams)
    The only time when my favourite driver (of all time) raced for a favoured team was when Niki Lauda raced the Porsche engined McLaren MP4/2.

--

"Form follows function"

McLaren would support limited in-season testing

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7087526/-McLaren-would-back-in-season-testing-

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Indian farmers whose land was compulsorily purchased may dismantle the new track in India ....

They are simply trying to secure more compensation ...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7093035/Indian-farmers-threaten-to-dismantle-track

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Common sense has prevailed ... the US F1 GP in 2012 will be held in November 2012 rather than the summer of 2012 when temperatures reach 40C. The track temperature would presumably be much hotter and this would play havoc with tyre wear & temperature management.

Also, who wants to hold a race at the same time as the Olympics?

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7092742/November-date-for-2012-US-GP

--

997.1 C2S

Bernie wants 21 races .... surprise surprise ...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7094704/Bernie-We-could-have-21-races

--

997.1 C2S

Belgium and France may alternate their F1 GP races ...

This is terrible ... IMO both France and Belgium should host their own races every year

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7093338/-Belgium-and-France-to-alternate-races-

--

997.1 C2S

Pirelli is floating the idea of qualification tyres

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7094449/Pirelli-propose-the-return-of-qualy-tyres

--

997.1 C2S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689958 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409447 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255840 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235074 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65586 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858196 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774313 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM