Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

F1 coverage in the UK moves to Sky Sports

Woke up this morning to hear some really, really sh*tty news.

The BBC was supposed to have a deal to show F1 till the end of the 2013 season.

However, with all the cost-cutting, the money for BBC F1 coverage has run out ... the BBC needs the money to show sh*tty programmes like Strictly Come Dancing, Doctor Who, Holby City, Eastenders, Ready Steady Cook and other cr*p like that instead.

I hate the Murdochs, I hate BSkyB, I hate News Corp ... I don't want to have to pay Sky Sports a penny just so that I can watch F1. I hate dealing with the rude Sky call centre staff in Livingston in Scotland.

Guys, just enjoy the BBC F1 coverage this year while it lasts. Some killjoys just ruined it for us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14338032

Live coverage of all F1 races will be on Sky Sports.

The BBC will show half of the races live till the end of the 2013 season. Other than the BBC fulfilling its deal with Bernie till 2013 (so as not to breach it), can someone please explain to me why the BBC is showing half of the races live???

That's like saying you can have sex anytime you like with your wife provided it is on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays only.

And the BBC executives have the cheek to say that 'you can continue to follow all the races live on the radio'. Radio coverage is for people who can't get access to a TV (for whatever reason).

I'm seriously p*ssed off right now. Rant over but, as Marcellus Wallace (from Pulp Fiction) would say, "Nah, I'm far from being f*ckin' OK".

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Re: F1 coverage in the UK moves to Sky Sports

The sad reality is that we have no choice ... we have to bow to the inevitable and subscribe to Sky Sports, something I deeply resent doing.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

I'm seriously p*ssed off right now. Rant over but, as Marcellus Wallace (from Pulp Fiction) would say, "Nah, I'm far from being f*ckin' OK".

I fully agree with everything you wrote. I can't describe how livid I was when I first heard the news.

As much as I love F1, I won't be signing up to Skysports on principle. Why can the rest of the world watch F1 on free to air TV, while I'm forced to pay even more money to a company that is already charging me far too much for their service?

I'll stick to the partial BBC coverage and the highlights. To all parties involved in this decision: Thanks for ruining F1. 

The BBC's F1 coverage has been a quantum leap ahead of what ITV had been doing ...

ITV never showed practice sessions, didn't have a post-race F1 forum, didn't have a catch up service (like BBC iPlayer) so you could watch all practice sessions, qualification, the race, F1 forum and 1 hour highlights for up to 7 days after broadcast. ITV didn't have red button coverage providing an on-screen driver tracker graphic. ITV never provided radio coverage or live online viewing either.

It was the BBC that introduced all these innovations to F1 coverage in the UK.

Obviously, it comes at a cost ...

ITV now has a catch up service online but have any of you ever tried using ITV Player? It sucks. It often freezes halfway through a programme and you have to watch 5 or even 6 commercial ads during each ad break and sometimes there is a glitch and the TV programme doesn't resume after the ads are over. It is useless.

Long story short - the BBC built a much bigger TV audience for F1 in the UK through ground-breaking innovation. All that has now been handed on a silver platter to BSkyB.

Imagine, you completely renovate a crumbling building to perfection but the re-development cash runs out so the bank seizes the property, sells it and some undeserving buyer picks up a bargain.

That is precisely what has happened here. ... BSkyB must be laughing at its good fortune.

But like you said assman, many TV fans will abandon F1 since paying about £600 per year for a Sky subscription is not something they are prepared to do.

Well done the BBC

--

RT Moderator 

easy_rider911:

Long story short - the BBC built a much bigger TV audience for F1 in the UK through ground-breaking innovation. All that has now been handed on a silver platter to BSkyB.

Imagine, you completely renovate a crumbling building to perfection but the re-development cash runs out so the bank seizes the property, sells it and some undeserving buyer picks up a bargain.

That is precisely what has happened here. ... BSkyB must be laughing at its good fortune.

Well done the BBC

In fact, it's even worse than this ...

We, the F1 fans are the tenants renting that house from the BBC paying a low rent for occupying the property.

Now that BSkyB has bought the house for a bargain price, we, as tenants, are at the mercy of BSkyB that can raise the monthly rent however much it wants .... after all, it will enjoy a monopoly over F1 coverage in the UK ...

So that's just like saying that the only house for rent is the one we are currently occupying ....

To not subscribe to Sky Sports is like saying, "No thanks, I'll live on the pavement outside and try to watch/listen through the windows when the curtains are open half of the year".

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

A very good analogy... I guess I'll be one of those unrelenting tenants that will observe from a distance :p

It's a shame nobody else was willing to pick up from the BBC... e.g. ITV, Channel 4.... heck, ANYONE apart from Sky Sports. I really wouldn't mind the inclusion of commercials. 

Easy, what are your intentions? Will you go with Skysports (or are you already a subscriber)?

I will probably have no choice but to add Sky Sports to my monthly package ...

We already subscribe (reluctantly) to Sky ... my wife loves Comedy Central and some of the HBO dramas on Sky Atlantic ...

Look at what happened to cricket ... the piecemeal highlights on Five are no match for live coverage.

F1 has always been a minor sport compared to football but it's just as important as tennis, rugby etc and yet it's shoved off to Sky Sports while tennis (especially Wimbledon) and 6 Nations Rugby remain on the BBC as the protected 'crown jewels' of UK sport.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

IMO there is a bias as to which sports deserve to be on the free-to-air BBC channels according to what the executives running the BBC want to watch on their TV sets at home. F1 just isn't one of those sports sadly.

--

RT Moderator 

This news certainly ruined my day.  I knocked Sky Sports and Movies on the head 3 years ago and to be honest have not missed it one bit.  I really don't want to spend any more with Sky and re-subscribing to Sky Sports is a bitter pill to swallow.

Is there any live F1 coverage on-line?

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

Sorry to be adrift of popular consensus but I find Sky Sports to be worth every penny for the golf coverage alone... Add to that the live Premiership football and Test cricket during the year and it really is good value... and all in super HD and 3D!!

Saving grace for BBC is that all highlights will only be shown in HD on this channel.

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

F1 fans are furious:

www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23973960-sky-sports-snatch-f1-rights-as-bbc-halve-coverage.do

So F1 widows will be happy:

www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23974236-love-it-or-loathe-it-therell-be-less-formula-one-on-the-bbc.do

Some think Sky is ideal for nerdy coverage of F1:

www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23974226-the-wheels-have-come-off-as-the-bbc-gives-up-another-major-sport.do

But what really hurt the most was Jake Humphrey's pathetic article defending the BBC's decision. He knows that his career is well set at the BBC so he doesn't want to upset the applecart.

www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23974206-jake-humphrey-im-proud-of-the-effort-that-our-whole-bbc-team-put-into-f1....

--

RT Moderator 

John, you already pay for Sky Sports for golf, football and cricket etc. It won't cost you a penny extra so it makes no difference for you. In fact, it further justifies what you are already spending.

Putting aside your personal situation for a moment, the majority of F1 fans do not have Sky Sports subscriptions so, for them, this is a £40-50 per month extra cost. I'm not surprised that they are furious.

Guys like you and me can afford this. Paying an extra £500-600 per year on Sky Sports doesn't make much difference to us but it does for most people who are already having to economise on spending.

It isn't right that these pleasures are priced out of the reach of the average person.

--

RT Moderator 

"Motorsport' is the BBC's F1 theme sampled from Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain' ... listen to it loudly using headphones ... it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end ...

youtu.be/n9h34xYsRrI

When the BBC took over F1 coverage from ITV, they started with a video sequence that blew me away ...

youtu.be/Tyn_mi1jHoE

Here's the 2010 end of season musical montage

youtu.be/gXKWxF--QYA

Here's the 2009 end of season musical montage

youtu.be/EezEMgIWwno

The BBC made something wonderful ... we even waited 2 years for the unbearable commentary from Jonathan Legard to go away ... the 2011 season coverage was just perfect ... but nothing perfect is allowed to last ...

--

RT Moderator 

The BBC did bring something new for sure.  I know this because my wife likes F1 now! and cannot tell you how unexpected that was.

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

Same here - my wife loves F1 and she was just as furious as I was when she heard the news.

--

RT Moderator 

Easy, I take your point.. but I really don't think that an extra £1.50 per day is too much to pay for four Sky Sports channels (in HD) covering a very wide spectrum of the sporting world... I'm also not so sure that the majority of F1 fans don't already have a Sky subscription?

True the return of adverts will be a pain, but it's not as if we're going back to ITV coverage which really was the dregs and IMO helped make the BBC coverage look so good... I, for one, won't miss Eddie Jordan one jot! Smiley

You'll still get "The Chain" for half the season plus every highlight show.  You could also buy the 'Rumours' album and play it any time you like...Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:

Easy, I take your point.. but I really don't think that an extra £1.50 per day is too much to pay for four Sky Sports channels (in HD) covering a very wide spectrum of the sporting world...

I agree, it's not that much for most people. But at the end of the day, Sky has to first justify why I should spend the extra money on something that was free for the past 40 odd years. Unless they're able to provide some type of extra service that was previously unavailable (e.g. extra camera angles available via the red button, additional tech info, etc...), I just don't see how it's worth watching F1 coverage with them rather than for free with the BBC. 

With 450 quid (the annual cost of Sky) you can buy several tickets for F1 races. This development is just shameful. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

The F1 teams are worried about lower sponsorship revenue

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/bbc-and-sky-drop-f1-broadcast-bombshell-teams-seek-answers-from-ecclestone/

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/ecclestone-to-meet-teams-this-afternoon-over-sky-f1-deal/

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/whitmarsh-sky-deal-is-cautiously-good-news/

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

More fans' reactions

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/bbc-vulnerability-opens-door-to-f1-on-pay-tv-some-fan-reactions/#comments

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

More details on the deal

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/new-details-of-co-operation-between-sky-and-bbc-emerge/

Bottom line: the BBC needs to save money

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/bbc-f1-boss-the-bare-facts-are-the-bbc-needs-to-save-money/

--

997.1 C2S

Brundle is reportedly being wooed by Sky ... he will expect a big salary no doubt ...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7075289/-Sky-want-Brundle-as-their-1m-man-

--

997.1 C2S

It is truly a shame that F1 moves to Sky. Wonder if and how BBC will keep up the quality if they continue to broadcast half of the GPs. The format in its current state was marvellous, proper experienced yet entertaining commentators such as Brundle and Coulthard that are still closely related to the sport.

Are there any further details distributed about the cause of this surprising change?

In 2 words: cost cutting

--

997.1 C2S

Just read an article on this today. That really sucks. It's probably just a matter of time until this model trickles into other regions and we're all shelling out money to watch races.

If Bernie had his way, it would be pay-per-view :( That experiment failed previously thank goodness ...
    --

997.1 C2S

I've been reading this thread for a few days and I have to say that is really bad news. BBC coverage is so good That after the race coverage we get here from Fox Sports (which only covers the race, commentary is not that bad but still) I download the full BBC spot and watch the whole thing again. 

More details are emerging ...

http://www.planetf1.com/editorial/7092708/The-New-Sky-Thinking

--

997.1 C2S

An e-petition for keeping live F1 coverage free on the BBC

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57

Sadly, it's all done and dusted now ...

--

997.1 C2S

So the BBC will now show half the races live and the remaining races will be full re-runs (not just extended highlights) as originally stated

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7143622/-BBC-to-show-full-reruns-

It's better for F1 fans who now will not be forced to subscribe for Sky Sports if they are prepared to wait a few hours. I don't mind if the live races are the ones in Australasia. But waiting for F1 races in Europe or North America wouldn't be bearable for me.

The BBC has backtracked a little because of the F1 fans backlash.

Why are these decisions fudged?

--

997.1 C2S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690763 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409944 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256128 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235362 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858687 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774911 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM