Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: GT3 RS 4.0

Sorry, that is a myth. Most cars that are tracked are driving home by their owners. However, I would agree that Porsche's tend to be more reliable and can standup to the rigors of track work. 

--

nberry:

Sorry, that is a myth. Most cars that are tracked are driving home by their owners. However, I would agree that Porsche's tend to be more reliable and can standup to the rigors of track work.  

Smiley

You appear to be contradicting yourself.  

Do you know what you really meant to say? Smiley

--

fritz

Yes. Most sport cars are driving to track events by their owners. But I was acknowledging that Porsche's appear to withstand the punishment of track work better than other cars.

That is not to say, other cars fail. Porsche's may be able to do a few more hot laps while others need to cool down but that is not always the case. Either way the owners drive their cars home.

--

nberry:

But I was acknowledging that Porsche's appear to withstand the punishment of track work better than other cars.

oh, I do share your view 100 % and that is why I am more confident with a P. Smiley ...

I had exactly such a "Porsche" moment 10 years ago first time at a Track at Monza with a 964RS and saw burning brakes on M3's as well as lot's of Ferraris etc going home on a trailer......with the exception of a little 964 who took a lot of punishment on the brakes - but drove nicely back home.....events like those stay very firm in yr memories and it takes a lot for competitors to convince me of the same verdict  

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (2011) CAR review...

-- by Jethro Bovingdon (1 July 2011)

If you’re one of those people who think that Porsche should have given up on the 911 formula years ago – despite the gazillions of race victories and countless great road iterations that prove you’re wrong – then the GT3 RS 4.0 is just another refinement of a flawed concept.

However, for those of us who are in on the secret that the 911 is actually bloody brilliant and that rear engine offers massive traction advantages and a unique tactility, this is the 997 we’ve been waiting for.

The new 2011 GT3 RS 4.0 is the last hurrah for the motorsport-derived Mezger flat-six (it was designed by Hans Mezger, who also did F1 engines when they had over 1000bhp), the last hurrah for the Porsche Motorsport-developed 997s and it’s utterly magnificent.

So what’s so special about the Porsche GT3 RS 4.0?

Just 600 will be built, with less than 30 coming to the UK at a whopping £128,466, so it’ll be pretty rare. In fact, all have already sold out.

However, this car trades on dynamic brilliance rather than scarcity. The engine is the main event, with the block from the RSR racer, a unique induction system from the GT3 R Hybrid racer and trick new headers, race cats and a titanium exhaust to let those cylinders breathe. The result is a startling 494bhp at 8250rpm and 340lb ft at 5750rpm. Porsche claim it’ll run from 0-62mph in 3.9 seconds and hit 193mph.

That engine is hooked-up to a six speed manual running the same shortish gear ratios from the GT3 RS 3.8 (significantly shorter than the ‘normal’ GT3) and it feels every bit of its 494bhp. The torque is just e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e and yet it revs like a motorbike, too. A GT2 RS might be quicker, but we’d trade that car’s mighty thump for this thrilling delivery and the accuracy of the throttle that can only be achieved with a normally aspirated engine.

A GT3 RS 3.8 plus 10%, then?

That pretty much sums it up, but when you remember that the 3.8 is one of the great drivers’ cars of all time, that’s hardly a criticism. And there are enough improvements beside the engine to make the 4.0 unique and even more compelling. It’s got the rose-jointed rear lower arms from the GT2 RS, plus that car’s carbon fibre bonnet and front wings, stiffer springs and bespoke PASM damper tuning, too. The result is a car that retains enough suppleness for all but the most awful roads and blessed with incredible precision in the way it changes direction.

The very brave might find a smidge of understeer in tighter corners but the extra torque and the accuracy of the drivetrain means you can easily neutralise it with more power, or adopt a more considered turn-in phase and then utilise the torque and superb traction to fire out of corners with the engine chomping around to 8500rpm. Increased aero from front dive planes and a more steeply raked rear wing are said to also make a big difference to high speed cornering on track – but on road it’s enough that it feels secure and trustworthy.

Verdict:

It’s easy to be cynical about another new 911, but this car is something very special indeed: The culmination of the 997’s rapid evolution, a celebration of that amazingly strong and characterful engine, a supercar that cuts the crap and just delivers a pure and addictive driving experience. If you’re a 911-hater this piece and these pictures won’t convince it’s anything other than an engineering dead end. But about 3-minutes behind the wheel would. You’d be babbling about how great it is. I guarantee it. And you wouldn’t be alone. I’ve barely stopped doing just that since I drove it...

...thanks and all due respect to Jethro Bovingdon!

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 review, video and images...

A little before the camera takes very little time tearing down anything, but the camera operating personnel is not the fastest people on earth. On the 911 it was not, because the keyword is tough. Acceleration: hard. Brakes: hard. Cornering speeds: hard. Chassis: hard. How the bucket seats grip your body: hard. How the click of the belt thing in your side punctured with boarding: hard. Comfort: not available. Air conditioning: too much weight. Navigation: see air conditioning. Performance potential: out-of-this-world.

Leusden, and lies between the land of Zuffenhausen limitless autobahn. The 911 GT3 RS 4.0 is not the strongest car that our "editorial offices" ever crossed, but Porsche knows of PQ is always just a bit more to it than the rest of the world. Or at least it seems, the GT3 RS 4.0 was therefore a tremendous impression on me. The last of the 997's, now there is really nothing more easily put 200 on the clock. No surprise, as Porsche claims a sprint time from 0-200 km / h in 12 seconds. More impressive is how the steam from 4.0 to 300 +. On a trip of over 500 km during the day (!) On a weekday (!) Was the counter at least five times (!) Over the magical 300. Oh and also get used, not only for other road users. Fortunately, the 4.0 standard equipped with ceramic brakes, slow down so I'm fine. Especially since there is very sticky semi-slicks are the rims. The official top speed is also 310 km / h, but with much insistence the number 327 km / h appeared on the counter. The six-cylinder boxer is pretty much towards the rev limiter, so a lot of stretch is not there anymore.

Heart of the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 is of course the fabulous six-cylinder boxer unit. Although Porsche is also very nice turbo engines (the 911 Turbo and GT2) is up to now always an atmospheric block in a GT3. In this case the largest ever in a production model of the Porsche 911, the volume is 4.0 liters. Porsche does not happen overnight just gone through the existing 3.8 liters large block drilling. No sir, the 4.0 was because the crankshaft from the 911 GT3 RSR (which really only allowed on the track) and got forged pistons and titanium connecting rods. The result is an impressive 500 horsepower, which the specific power of 125 hp per liter is. This makes the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 the most powerful naturally aspirated engine of the moment. And given the focus on CO2, downsizing and the use of supercharging that would be a record for the time being to continue.

That so much horsepower from relatively so few liters comes, means that the 4.0 mainly likes to operate on top of the rev range. To 4.0 at the bottom called slack is an outright insult to the Porsche engineers and foster a lifetime ban for Zuffenhausen still to come, but only above 4000 rpm shows the true power block. The maximum torque of 460 Nm at 5750 rpm therefore only be achieved. Do not worry however, because a broad powerband, the GT3 RS 4.0 weldegelijk: that maximum 500 hp at 8250 rpm in fact only be achieved. An absolute screamer so that only the terms up to speed 458 Italia for must tolerate.

Porsche has also paid much attention to weight saving, so the hood, bucket seats and spoilers made of carbon fiber. The rear window is not glass, but of very light plastic. At high speed with windows open creates the comic effect you see the window move in the wind. And you'll drive with window open, because Porsche found that installing an air conditioning unit was too heavy. There is not. Navigation, heated seats, door handles or other luxigheden all either. Porsche went so far as to save weight carpet assembly. Strangely enough cup holders remained well, although they are hidden under decorative trip a circuit board has carbon (or carbon really is).

Also high on the list was further improve the aerodynamics. The GT3 RS 4.0 was not a large rear spoiler with custom edges. To balance the 4.0 is also the first 911 so-called "flics" got the air deflectors on the sides of the front spoiler. At top speed makes sure that 190 kg of downforce is added. On the autobahn it also felt very stable at 4.0, although the suspension and damping bang hard sometimes to make a jump on less slippery conditions. The cornering speeds are such an amazing level of the lesser gods like you and I need that week in the brain to process.

This is in every way a real car men, and then also for men with a big heart. Although Porsche a fantastic (and fantastically fast) PDK dual-clutch box has edited one but a regular manual transmission. A tank that is getting a firm hand asks, does that enable accurate, but prolonged track use as possible is done to consolidate it all than we are used Porsche. If you're really good with the clutch and then bake in 3.9 seconds on the clock to 100, but as simple as a 911 Turbo launch control (namely the PDK box) is not. The four-wheel drive 911 Turbo not miss, because the combination hallelujah rear engine and semi-slicks provide unprecedented traction. With a small tjilpje ties launches the GT3 RS 4.0 is off the mark, after an unprecedented acceleration begins. The 911 GT3 RS 4.0 is the latest generation 997 and in a sense the best. At least if you are looking for an uncompromising racer that allows you to track days or at the Nurburgring, you sparkle. The big six-cylinder boxer four liters is the most atmospheric block Porsche has so far delivered. A monument of a car...

2012-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-4-litre_Autoblog-NL_article-link

2012-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-4-litre_Autoblog-NL_video-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 road test video...

Porsche-911-GT3-RS-4-litre_De-Telegraaf_video-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Haha,

The guy was pretty happy about the car, but constantly mentioning that >500bhp in combination with semi-slicks and wet tarmac was not such a good combination.

A couple of times he found it "best wel en beetje spannend" (a fair bit terrifying)  on the twisty eiffel roads.

So his conclusion: within 15 years, it might have turned out to be a nice investment, providing that you don't take it out into the rain too much, "for guaranteed, you'll split it in two one day..."

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 review, video and images...

A little before the camera takes very little time tearing down anything, but the camera operating personnel is not the fastest people on earth. On the 911 it was not, because the keyword is tough. Acceleration: hard. Brakes: hard. Cornering speeds: hard. Chassis: hard. How the bucket seats grip your body: hard. How the click of the belt thing in your side punctured with boarding: hard. Comfort: not available. Air conditioning: too much weight. Navigation: see air conditioning. Performance potential: out-of-this-world.

Leusden, and lies between the land of Zuffenhausen limitless autobahn. The 911 GT3 RS 4.0 is not the strongest car that our "editorial offices" ever crossed, but Porsche knows of PQ is always just a bit more to it than the rest of the world. Or at least it seems, the GT3 RS 4.0 was therefore a tremendous impression on me. The last of the 997's, now there is really nothing more easily put 200 on the clock. No surprise, as Porsche claims a sprint time from 0-200 km / h in 12 seconds. More impressive is how the steam from 4.0 to 300 +. On a trip of over 500 km during the day (!) On a weekday (!) Was the counter at least five times (!) Over the magical 300. Oh and also get used, not only for other road users. Fortunately, the 4.0 standard equipped with ceramic brakes, slow down so I'm fine. Especially since there is very sticky semi-slicks are the rims. The official top speed is also 310 km / h, but with much insistence the number 327 km / h appeared on the counter. The six-cylinder boxer is pretty much towards the rev limiter, so a lot of stretch is not there anymore.

Heart of the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 is of course the fabulous six-cylinder boxer unit. Although Porsche is also very nice turbo engines (the 911 Turbo and GT2) is up to now always an atmospheric block in a GT3. In this case the largest ever in a production model of the Porsche 911, the volume is 4.0 liters. Porsche does not happen overnight just gone through the existing 3.8 liters large block drilling. No sir, the 4.0 was because the crankshaft from the 911 GT3 RSR (which really only allowed on the track) and got forged pistons and titanium connecting rods. The result is an impressive 500 horsepower, which the specific power of 125 hp per liter is. This makes the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 the most powerful naturally aspirated engine of the moment. And given the focus on CO2, downsizing and the use of supercharging that would be a record for the time being to continue.

That so much horsepower from relatively so few liters comes, means that the 4.0 mainly likes to operate on top of the rev range. To 4.0 at the bottom called slack is an outright insult to the Porsche engineers and foster a lifetime ban for Zuffenhausen still to come, but only above 4000 rpm shows the true power block. The maximum torque of 460 Nm at 5750 rpm therefore only be achieved. Do not worry however, because a broad powerband, the GT3 RS 4.0 weldegelijk: that maximum 500 hp at 8250 rpm in fact only be achieved. An absolute screamer so that only the terms up to speed 458 Italia for must tolerate.

Porsche has also paid much attention to weight saving, so the hood, bucket seats and spoilers made of carbon fiber. The rear window is not glass, but of very light plastic. At high speed with windows open creates the comic effect you see the window move in the wind. And you'll drive with window open, because Porsche found that installing an air conditioning unit was too heavy. There is not. Navigation, heated seats, door handles or other luxigheden all either. Porsche went so far as to save weight carpet assembly. Strangely enough cup holders remained well, although they are hidden under decorative trip a circuit board has carbon (or carbon really is).

Also high on the list was further improve the aerodynamics. The GT3 RS 4.0 was not a large rear spoiler with custom edges. To balance the 4.0 is also the first 911 so-called "flics" got the air deflectors on the sides of the front spoiler. At top speed makes sure that 190 kg of downforce is added. On the autobahn it also felt very stable at 4.0, although the suspension and damping bang hard sometimes to make a jump on less slippery conditions. The cornering speeds are such an amazing level of the lesser gods like you and I need that week in the brain to process.

This is in every way a real car men, and then also for men with a big heart. Although Porsche a fantastic (and fantastically fast) PDK dual-clutch box has edited one but a regular manual transmission. A tank that is getting a firm hand asks, does that enable accurate, but prolonged track use as possible is done to consolidate it all than we are used Porsche. If you're really good with the clutch and then bake in 3.9 seconds on the clock to 100, but as simple as a 911 Turbo launch control (namely the PDK box) is not. The four-wheel drive 911 Turbo not miss, because the combination hallelujah rear engine and semi-slicks provide unprecedented traction. With a small tjilpje ties launches the GT3 RS 4.0 is off the mark, after an unprecedented acceleration begins. The 911 GT3 RS 4.0 is the latest generation 997 and in a sense the best. At least if you are looking for an uncompromising racer that allows you to track days or at the Nurburgring, you sparkle. The big six-cylinder boxer four liters is the most atmospheric block Porsche has so far delivered. A monument of a car...

2012-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-4-litre_Autoblog-NL_article-link

2012-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-4-litre_Autoblog-NL_video-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 at 320 km/h...

Smiley SmileySmiley

[scans] Auto Motor und Sport - Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (TEST)

Bedford lap time: 1min 21s

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/34fcl7a.jpg

For comparison, the RS3.8 did 1:21.9 and GT2RS did 1:19.9

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Some key specs from the SportAuto Supertest (today's issue):

NBR: 7.30 (Doettinger Hoehe: 278kph)

(GT3 RS: 7.33, GT2 RS 7.20)

HHR: 1.09,5

(GT3 RS: 1.09,6, GT2 RS 1.08,4)

0-100kph: 3.9s

0-200kph: 12.0s

200-0: 130.1m

Quite frankly: the results are not super impressive. However, the car delivers solid performance. A good way to bridge the time until the 991 GT3 (with better performance, most likely) will be available. For GT3 RS 3.8 owners I would not see a major reason to switch to the 4.0 as the performance is more or less identical.

Do you think the 991 GT3 will offer better performance than the 997 GT3 RS 4.0?

I would have thought that the 991 GT3 will improve upon the 997.2 GT3 ... the 991 GT3 RS will improve upon the 997.2 GT3 RS (and, I hope, the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 as well ...)

Porsche is usually very stingy with power upgrades ...

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I think the air is getting thinner - and I want to see first a true Mezger-block replacement before i would judge this. I am sure the weight savings and set-ups can be tweaked - and using a modified PDK will shave off a few seconds etc - but it's all going to be close. I don't think they will go from 435 to over 500 hp so easily....weight to 1200 kgs that would be something.....but then costs probably will go thru the roof.

easy_rider911:

Do you think the 991 GT3 will offer better performance than the 997 GT3 RS 4.0?

Based on my gut feeling: yes... (to similar performance as GT3 RS 4.0) Smiley

I agree- Most of the performance gains will come from chassis and handling.

Remember that the GT3 (RS) is the homologation car for  the Porsche GT motorsport products (R and RSR),,,and the the car needs to improve if it is going to remain competitive (on the track)

Spyderidol:

I agree- Most of the performance gains will come from chassis and handling.

+tires   +PDK gear-box Smiley

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 acceleration...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

BjoernB:

I think the air is getting thinner - and I want to see first a true Mezger-block replacement before i would judge this. I am sure the weight savings and set-ups can be tweaked - and using a modified PDK will shave off a few seconds etc - but it's all going to be close. I don't think they will go from 435 to over 500 hp so easily....weight to 1200 kgs that would be something.....but then costs probably will go thru the roof.

Smiley

fully agree..what I heard the normal 991 GT3 will get about 450hp, but Im quite sure it will not rev so high as the current one...

Where it will regarding lap time..dont know..but Im sure for 90% it will not beat the 4.0L...probably it will be at the 997GTRS level..

As Bjoern already said..the air is so thin ..and especially around the 7:30 magic barrier..dont forget only 2 cars tested from sport auto have gone below the 7:30..even the 458 (completely new car) is light years away from the 7:30...even the lambo LP with close to 700Hp couldnt get there..

Interesting to see is where the Mclaren will be...at first I thouht it will be clearly under the 7:30...but now after having read some tests on it where it even got beaten by the Italian 458 horse I wonder whether this will be still be possible..

The gains we have seen in the last years in NBR times will not happen anymore..the fat years are over guys..Smiley

a928:
    BjoernB:

Smiley

Where it will regarding lap time..dont know..but Im sure for 90% it will not beat the 4.0L...probably it will be at the 997GTRS level..

Don't forget: the 4.0 is hardly any faster than the GT3 RS... (see SportAuto) Smiley

Hi MKSGR,

yes I know that..but again: how many cars have passed the 7:30 threshold? I m quite sure the 991 gt3 will not do that either..

Just think of the price these two cars that passed the 7:30..much more expensive than a 991 gt3..the 991 gt3 will never get close to the gumpert ..this is real racing car..the 991 will not..like a 997 gt3 is not a racing car in the sense of the gumpert..

There's some speculation on the 991 GT3 in the August 2011 issue of Top Gear magazine...

Let's hope the 991 GT3 will not look anything like this horrific Smiley photoshop image...

2012-Porsche-991-GT3_Top-Gear.jpg

...surely there's no way Andreas Preuninger and the team of Porsche Motorsport engineers would ever design such a grotesque cross-eyed mutation! Smiley

Indeed, if it were to look anything like this image, it could be the shortest production run ever...

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

It's a horrific photoshop. I wouldn't worry about it looking remotely like that at all.

it is a shame for magazine like Top Gear to give a green light for such an ugly childish rendering for printing...

Boyko23:

it is a shame for magazine like Top Gear to give a green light for such an ugly childish rendering for printing...

Smiley indeed...

PS: nobody noted that they were talking about 580hp...180hp more in the 9A1 engine- without turbo?? I guess the whole article was done by a drunk top gear employee or Jeremy himself..

Apparently EVO's Chris Harris bought a 4.0, he just posted a picture of it on Twitter. Can't wait to read his impressions!

Porker:

Apparently EVO's Chris Harris bought a 4.0, he just posted a picture of it on Twitter. Can't wait to read his impressions!

"Yowsers. It's landed." -- Chris Harris

Chris-Harris_Twitter-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

- interesting as he currently drives a GT3 with a Akrapovic exhaust.....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761251 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434677 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260152 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257297 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80823 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871558 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806811 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM