Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 - Short Review

We just got ourselves a new Mini, the Mini Cooper S Countryman All4.

While I never was a particular Mini fan and we actually got this car as some sort of city family mover, the Countryman is slightly different. Not really a beauty but if you look closer at it, you will start to like how it looks. My wife actually likes it's looks more than the one of our former Cooper S JCW.

First, the new Countryman is not really a Mini anymore. There is nothing "mini" about this car. 

The design is not really beautiful but it is actually in the spirit of the Mini brand, which is a good thing. I would call the Countryman the Mini SUV but I'm not sure that the designers or even the manufacturer likes this.

The Mini Countryman is huge, you need to see it in person. The designers actually did a great thing by keeping the Mini design in a, in my opinion, crossover SUV.

Very big is the interior of the Mini Countryman, you can easily and most comfortably fit four adults into this car, no problem at all. There is even a third rear seat option, which may not be comfortable for three adults but a small kid would snuggly fit in between two adults.

There isn't a large trunk but you can order a large (optional) compartment below the trunk bottom. If you don't need the rear seats, you can fold them back and the result is a huge trunk for almost everything you wish to transport.

For the driver, the seating position is very SUV-like and especially women should feel very comfortable with the additional safety feel of a "higher" car. 

Our car is equipped with the optional sport chassis and while it lowers the car by approximately one centimeter, it really improved the handling of this "mini"-SUV. The Countryman is still high enough for those harsh winters with lots of snow on the streets.

Since it is our city family commuter, I ordered it with automatic transmission. The 6-speed auto tranny works well, I also highly recommend ordering the so called "Sport" button, which improves throttle response and shifting times. It makes the Countryman much more enjoyable.

Speaking of enjoyable: The steering feel is very Mini-like and not SUV-like at all. Huge and positive surprise. Those who never owned a Mini, will love the direct steering feel, it really is fun. This may also have to do with the light weight of the Countryman, it weights only as much as a 997 Carrera S but still almost 200 kg more than the ordinary Mini.

The AWD doesn't add too much to the additional weight but apparently the new body/chassis and size does.

While the weight isn't excessive for a small crossover SUV, it is way too much for the 184 hp turbo charged engine. This engine feels great and very spontaneous in the regular Mini Cooper S but pretty much helpless in the Countryman. The additional 200 kg take it's tribute and while the high torque of the turbo engine is fun in the lower and mid rev range, the Cooper S Countryman All4 is no sports car. 0-100 kph in 8.3 seconds...it sounds fast but in reality, it is pretty lame and unfortunately it feels that way. When you fully accelerate, the engine feels stressed and the car feels heavy. So while the engine is fun to drive at lower and mid ranged rev figures, especially in the city, it becomes very very annoying on the Autobahn, especially at speeds over 160 kph.

Another problem seems to be throttle response: Even with the "Sport" button pressed, from standstill, the Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 sucks. No matter how you do it (kickdown, thrrottle fully pressed, 3/4 pressed), from standstill, the Cooper S Countryman All4 shows a one second lag until it actually takes off. Very annoying. Throttle response is just fine when driving, especially with the "Sport" button active but from standstill, it is just not acceptable. 

Maybe Mini wanted to protect the drivetrain from the huge torque at lower rev figures, I don't know why but from standstill, the Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 sucks. I will complaint about this at my Mini dealer but I'm not sure Mini will change anything. There seems to be a reason for the lag. A real shame, tainting the otherwise almost perfect fun experience with this car.

The brakes however are great and apparently good enough for this heavy Mini, ride comfort (sport chassis) is acceptable and slightly more comfortable than on our former Mini Cooper S.

Fuel consumption is another slightly annoying thing: While this isn't really much, it is still surprising for such a small car. 13.5 liters / 100 km...the automatic tranny could be blamed but this is really a lot. I have to confess that I love to drive fast and I usually don't care about fuel consumption but 13.5 liters / 100 km for a Mini ? I don't know.

Initially, we were considering the SD Diesel model with over 140 hp but it is one second slower from 0-100 kph, even slower in the higher speed range and I'm not really a Diesel fan. However, a friend who tested the Diesel version with auto tranny, had a Diesel consumption of merely 9 liters / 100 km. Huge difference.

What can I say ? I have mixed feelings about the Mini Cooper S Countryman All4. While it is a really nice crossover SUV with lots of interior space and the very same Mini steering feel people love so much on Mini cars, the engine just doesn't cut it. At 200 kg more weight, the Countryman would have deserved more powerful engines. 

Mini should have offered at least 220 hp on the Cooper S Countryman All4, to cope a little bit for the additional weight. The weak engine, the huge torque is only fun in the lower and mid rev range, takes away a lot of the fun from this car.

Verdict: The Mini Cooper S Countryman S All4 is a wonderful addition to the Mini family, a true Mini SUV (if something likes this is even possible) with lots of interior space, the ideal second car for a small family or the ideal car for your kid(s), if you want to play it safe. For grown-ups and sports car buffs like me, Mini needs to add a decent engine and a much better throttle response from standstill.

mcm.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Re: Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 - Short Review

Congrats RC! I was tempted by one too but it's kind of slow indeed. All black treatment I see... The stealthy look you like so much :)
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Maybe a JCW edition Countryman down the road will satisfied the power deficiency.

Congrats RC. I was also tempted to get one, but it was just too slow. I got a Polo GTI as a city car for the wife instead, and after APR tuning and H&R monotube coilovers, it is one quick and fun car.

Pentium:
    Congrats RC! I was tempted by one too but it's kind of slow indeed. All black treatment I see... The stealthy look you like so much :)

Yes, indeed. Stealthy look all the way. Smiley

Unfortunately the black front light option wasn't available yet...I would have loved to get it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

WAY:
    Congrats RC. I was also tempted to get one, but it was just too slow. I got a Polo GTI as a city car for the wife instead, and after APR tuning and H&R monotube coilovers, it is one quick and fun car.

I suppose you don't have the same winters we have over here in Bavaria. Smiley

We needed a winter proof second car (next to the X5M), so the Countryman All4 is the perfect choice and a pretty "cheap" one too. Smiley

--

Haha that is fair enough. Winter at worst for me means heavy rain and 10 degrees Celsius, still ok to even drive my GT3 with MPSC.

I'm not a fan of its looks, but you've ordered it in the best possible combination imo. Looks aside, it must be a practical car to get around day-to-day duties in the city.

Enjoy!

Porker:

I'm not a fan of its looks, but you've ordered it in the best possible combination imo. Looks aside, it must be a practical car to get around day-to-day duties in the city.

Enjoy!

I'm actually not a fan of the looks either but it really looks nice in black with black rims. Not beautiful nice but nice enough not to hate it. Smiley

Yes, it is almost the perfect commuter for the city but I wish it would start off a little bit faster from standstill and fuel consumption could be slightly lower too.

--

I actually do like the looks in the right color (black or white). The car makes sense, big enough for a small family, 4WD, ok power and friendly image. Might get some serious competition from the Baby RR though.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso delivery Sept. 2011

The baby Range Rover is one I really like. But it isn't city car size, more like a X1.

I hesitated between the Countryman and a Clubman for my wife's second car. ( as a city run-around )

Finally I got a Clubman  JCW  as I  ( and she ) prefer the ' original' look, smaller size and more fun factor.

The car should be here in two weeks.

Thanks for the review RC.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I am a huge van of the Mini. When we had one, we drove it all over the city with excellent gas mileage and ease of use.

On the highway it was a different matter. Because of its size other cars had difficulty seeing the car and often I was taking evasive maneuvering in order to avoid a collision. Also, the power deficiency on the highway made it difficult to pass safely.

It definitely is a city car. Another plus is the car holds its value. 

--

Gnil:

I hesitated between the Countryman and a Clubman for my wife's second car. ( as a city run-around )

Finally I got a Clubman  JCW  as I  ( and she ) prefer the ' original' look, smaller size and more fun factor.

The car should be here in two weeks.

Thanks for the review RC.

Good choice Gnil, i have a clubman S and i prefer it TO the countryman for the same reason
    --

Mini Clubman  S

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Who are you and what have you done with RC?

''3. family car: driving anything below 400 HP would be a nightmare for me. I drive a Mini Cooper S JCW from time to time and I started to HATE it, it is soooooo slow. I would KILL myself if I would have to drive a Subaru 2.5 SW, no offense.''

Agent991:

Who are you and what have you done with RC?

''3. family car: driving anything below 400 HP would be a nightmare for me. I drive a Mini Cooper S JCW from time to time and I started to HATE it, it is soooooo slow. I would KILL myself if I would have to drive a Subaru 2.5 SW, no offense.''

The Countryman is actually mostly for my mother, she is almost 80 and my wife when I have the X5 M in winter time. No car below 400 hp for me, this rule is still valid. I just posted this review for people, who may be interested in this car.
    --

i have the Mini cooper S second version and i just love this car, my wife got the Cros Polo and i also love it but when i have to choose which  car i'll  take for town, i take the cooper S.

Good combi choice RC,.

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

Thanks for sharing your impressions RC  

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Thanks, RC. Very nice and looks great in black. I think that's a great city/winter car.

We looked at them but it was a tad too small for our needs, so we went with a Touarag. Very pleased with it and my wife LOVES it.

--

"People ignore design that ignores people."

Congrats RC Smiley

J.Seven

Congrats RC! Everytime I see this car I think I need one, too. The look is great and the size finally appropriate for small family city tours!

Enjoy and drive safely!!!

Lars997:

Congrats RC! Everytime I see this car I think I need one, too. The look is great and the size finally appropriate for small family city tours!

Enjoy and drive safely!!!

It is really big inside, no comparison with the normal Mini Cooper S.

Whoever needs a small SUV for the city, this is it. I just wish the engine would be more powerful. Today I was driving my X5 M again and oh boy, did I miss this car (I had to run in the Cooper S Countryman for my mother).

--

..take Mazda3 hatch for LONG test drive next time...Smiley

You'll be pleasantly surprised for that car segment...everything else in that segment is just NOT ALIVE=dead...Smiley or always lacks SOMETHING... Smiley

I refuse to acknowledge German press "usual" BIG push, preference for the VW Golf, as a leader in this class... I consider it a WELL funded auto manufacturer "propaganda" ...

Mazda3 is PERFECT for city driving (EXCELLENT gas mileage for NONelectric compact car), is confident at autobahn upper segment speeds and equipped with winter tires is GOOD in snow...

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690298 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409625 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255913 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235160 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65630 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858323 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774555 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM