Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

458 spider

The new spider version of the 458 has been shown to dealer principals this week.

A nero/tan & a red/tan 458 spider were revelead by LDM and Massa to the gathered audience. There is no window on the engine deck lid this time around unlike the 360 and 430 spiders that preceeded it. Instead it uses a Gallardo style roof cover/slatted engine bay cover. It has CGT/Aperta style speedster humps and the roof is in 2 sections like the California. When the hood is up it is said to look like the coupe.

It is 20kg heavier than coupe and will be unveiled in Sept to depositors and journalists as expected with the 1st public outing at Franfurt.

I was told the price premium in the UK will be circa £25k above the coupe.

A comment made on another forum regarding customer deliveries -

"Unveiling this fall, production start right after new year holidays. First EU deliveries end of Q1, UK deliveries start of Q3, not sure about US, but probably in between. Just like the coupe - launch fall 2009, first EU deliveries from Q1 2010 and so on. Expect also some tech improvements to make the 458 stay ahead of competition. Was said that the final product is going to be amazingly stunning. "

Re: 458 spider

Finally!!

I think the guys at Ferrari are trying to give the coupe a chance to sell as much as possible.

Thx Iain

Thank you for the info Iain 

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Appreciate the new detailed info

There is a rumour that when the Spider has been introduced the Berlinetta will be discontinued and that a Coupé version of the 458 will be reserved for the next Scuderia only.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

also that it will be faster then the 458 coupe, and more technologicly addvanced....

I highly doubt this rumour...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I doubt it as well. The price hike for the spider is too great for some potential buyers so sales would be lost. There is also little chance that the tooling costs of producing the coupe body are even close to being recouped yet. There is little marketing gain either for leaving the coupe market to rival manufacturers like Lamborghini or McLaren. Such a move would be an absolute gift for them.

ISUK:
    I doubt it as well. The price hike for the spider is too great for some potential buyers so sales would be lost. There is also little chance that the tooling costs of producing the coupe body are even close to being recouped yet. There is little marketing gain either for leaving the coupe market to rival manufacturers like Lamborghini or McLaren. Such a move would be an absolute gift for them.

And some people are against open top sports car. Offering only Spider body would lose that buyers.
    --

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Another rumor I heard, that engine will be visible when the top is up.

Seems far fetched 2me.

With a retractable hard top, would it not be a coup? Also, if its performance is as good if not better than the present coup, it would seem to be the best of both worlds. The present coup would be passe. FWIW, Ferrari is not all that concerned with pricing. They know their clientele and money is no object.Smiley

Also, this would allow Ferrari could push the FF and the 599 replacement.

What will become of the California once the Spider is introduced? More than likely it would be the buy in for new Ferrari buyers before they step up to the other models. 

--

The California is a totally different car Nick and has established it's own market. It's already the "entry" level model and Ferrari are repositioning their line up so that the sports cars sit above the GT cars in price to reflect their higher performance - California below 458, FF below new 599. The California could challenge the 458 if Ferrari gave it a stiffer suspension set up and boosted the horse power. However, just as the Cayman could be built to equal or better the 911 Carrera, this will never happen as both companies have no intention of killing their Golden Goose. It would also take away the GT nature of the car. They were supposed to be introducing an HGTC package for the Cali to enhance it's handling but it looks like this has been shelved indefinately due to the success of the car in it's current configuration and the desire not to blur the lines between GT and sports models.

As to the 458 coupe there are plenty of buyers who would never buy a folding hard top variant as they will never use their car as a spider so why compromise, pay more and add weight in the process?

ISUK:

As to the 458 coupe there are plenty of buyers who would never buy a folding hard top variant as they will never use their car as a spider so why compromise, pay more and add weight in the process?

+1 Exactly.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

pride355:
    ISUK:

+1 Exactly.

Well said!!!  Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

pride355:
    ISUK:

+1 Exactly.

+2 

Personally I don't believe Ferrari will stop building the coupe though I feel it will be redundant. Why spend $225,000 for a car when for another $25,000 you can get two cars i.e. convertible and coupe? Though weight is an issue what difference will it make if the Spider has good or better performance? Smiley

The California is an enigma to me. I swear every time I see one coming in the opposite direct I am convinced it is a Maserati until I see the backend. How people spend over $200,000 for this car is beyond me. I don't know how well they are selling in the US. I still believe its attraction will be to get in line for the 458 you must first buy the California. 

--

Nick,

You are really out of touch on the Cali...... and I do mean really   Ferrari are about a lot more than mid engined V8 models and always have been.

It may not be to your taste but that doesn't make it a poor seller. Read through the California board over on Fchat to see how much your fellow US owners love it. It seems like sales are doing pretty well in the more affluent states in the US as you'd expect. Overall world sales of this model have been a huge success for Ferrari.

My first Cali has been bought by a lady who previously owned an F50 so it's hardly selling to people waiting in line for a 458 Cali residuals are also far better than the 430 Scuderia, 16M and all other 430 variants. I can vouch for that fact personally by the painful hit I took on my Scud and the almost nil loss on my Cali. That should tell you something about the market's view of this car. I use a couple of UK based Ferrari forums and a growing number of members on there are warming up to the Cali after test drives and actively purchasing used examples. A couple of guys I know who've owned a whole host of different tipos over the years - 328, 355, 355 spider, 360, 430 spider, 575 and 599 to name a few - have also bought Calis and believe it to be the best Ferrari model they've owned to date. I met one of the management team from the London Ferrari dealer and he was complaining that his allocation of Californias was nowhere near large enough to satisfy his potential demand.

Iain, I am out of touch with this car. Understandably, those that bought the car love it. More importantly, you love it. Clearly, the car has some redeeming qualities if it impressed you.

I for one would buy several other cars before I would buy a Cali. It will be interesting to see if the car has "legs".  

--

The Cali line is here to stay Nick. It earns big $s for Ferrari and the revised version is slated for launch in 2013. It's a huge market segment they simply cannot afford to ignore and allows them to peg production of the 458 to keep that model more exclusive. If the Cali wasn't in the line up they'd have produced twice as many 458s by now and that was the downfall of the 430 - oversupply. I think you even complained about that with the low price you got for yours

You have to change your mindset for the Cali. It's not the usual weekend toy but a car you can use daily but still have a lot of fun in. You can drive to work in a coupe and at the end of the day unwind by driving home in a roadster. It will cope with the grind of daily traffic in auto mode without complaint and then turn into a completely ferocious sports car when the traffic clears, the road turns twisty and you put it into manual and sport mode. It makes a more outrageous noise than the 430 ever did if you keep the throttle down when changing up but will keep respectably quiet if you don't over rev. It really is two cars rolled into one in a way the 458 spider never will be. It has way, way more character than a 997 tt could ever hope to have and makes you smile in a way the Porsche simply can't. Yes the Porsche is faster but who cares - the Italian car is the one with the soul, the one that flatters you and tempts you to go for a drive just for the heck of it and to hear the sound of that engine. It's a noise that you never tire of, unlike the visceral acceleration of the turbo which is fun to begin with but then becomes a tad .... dare I say it....... dull because it is so composed whilst being so efffective at covering ground in a devastating fashion. As an autobahn cruiser the turbo would win without a doubt as straight line speed and stability is what matters. But for the rest of the speed limited world it's those fleeting moments of sound, drama and passion that count for more IMHO. I've never once missed my 997tt. I missed my Cali a lot when I sold my first one.

You sure know how get to the heart of the matter.

You know I am still wincing from the substantial haircut I took with my last 430. You also know my complaint with the TT is the lack of aggressive exhaust and frankly being a AWD car lacks the razor sharp steering and maneuvering.

That said, I find solace when I pull along side a Cali left my leg and pee on it knowing it is a Maserati with a Ferrari badge which is all bark and no bite. 

--

nberry:

You sure know how get to the heart of the matter.

You know I am still wincing from the substantial haircut I took with my last 430. You also know my complaint with the TT is the lack of aggressive exhaust and frankly being a AWD car lacks the razor sharp steering and maneuvering.

That said, I find solace when I pull along side a Cali left my leg and pee on it knowing it is a Maserati with a Ferrari badge which is all bark and no bite. 

Nice try Nick Smiley  The Cali next to you is only slow because it's being driven by some over paid celebrity who doesn't want to spill their latte when pulling away from the stop light Smiley  It's plenty fast enough in the right hands Smiley

ISUK:

Nick,

You are really out of touch on ......

Nick is out of touch on a lot of things Smiley

ISUK:

Nice try Nick Smiley  The Cali next to you is only slow because it's being driven by some over paid celebrity who doesn't want to spill their latte when pulling away from the stop light Smiley  It's plenty fast enough in the right hands Smiley

I am sure you meant pulling away from the Starbucks... Smiley

--

Matt C
    2009 997 GT3 Mk2  / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

nberry:

Smiley

Nick, you may not be a fan of the stick-shift, but you certainly do know how to shift your loyalty. Smiley

--

fritz

Fritz my man, it is all a matter of just stating the facts. 

I still have a high regard for the 458. I have never felt any love for front engine Ferrari's particularly those that pose as Ferrari's when in fact they are something else.

--

nberry:

Fritz my man, it is all a matter of just stating the facts. 

I still have a high regard for the 458. I have never felt any love for front engine Ferrari's particularly those that pose as Ferrari's when in fact they are something else.

Yeah, yeah. People in glass houses............... that's just a fourth generation turbocharged Beetle you are riding around in Nick using your way of thinking Smiley

All in good fun. What else do we have to talk about?

--

nberry:

Cupholders? Smiley

nberry:

Well, we could always go completely off-topic for a sports car forum like this one and discuss how Obama is going to get hosed by the last crazy Tea Party freak left standing in November 2012. Smiley

--

fritz

Iain & Nick - I'm thinking of buying my first Ferrari...not necessarily a daily driver as the GTS fulfils that requirement.  Just think it's about time I had an F-car! 

What would you suggest??

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803658 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448663 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266257 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90137 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6694 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885964 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833758 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM