Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren MP4-12C GT3 racing car: official press release...

fritz:
    koko:
    Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:

Also Clarkson is notoriously nationalistic when it comes to car comparisons when there is a british made car in the lot. So I expect JC to be McLarens biggest supporter in the press and as usual will go against the current to get attention as well.

On the other hand Clarkson is pretty vocal about his love for Ferrari over the years.

Clarkson is pretty vocal about his On Again, Off Again love for Ferrari over the years.

Let's face it: If you want to know how good or bad a car really is, any views expressed by Clarkson are irrelevant.  Smiley

I really believe that Clarkson, as a public figure, really doesn't say what he really thinks, he say it/write it to make maximum press exposure/interest.

I would prefer to use what he got in his own garage as a yardstick as to what he really thinks it's best.

But one thing IS certain, he doesn't like Porsche.

Tiff Needell and Jason Plato pit the 458 head to head with the McLaren on 5th Gear tonight in the UK at 19:30 BST. Teaser video here fwd.channel5.com/fifth-gear/videos/other/mclaren-teaser

Whoopsy:
    fritz:
    koko:
    Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:

Also Clarkson is notoriously nationalistic when it comes to car comparisons when there is a british made car in the lot. So I expect JC to be McLarens biggest supporter in the press and as usual will go against the current to get attention as well.

On the other hand Clarkson is pretty vocal about his love for Ferrari over the years.

Clarkson is pretty vocal about his On Again, Off Again love for Ferrari over the years.

Let's face it: If you want to know how good or bad a car really is, any views expressed by Clarkson are irrelevant.  Smiley

I really believe that Clarkson, as a public figure, really doesn't say what he really thinks, he say it/write it to make maximum press exposure/interest.

That is precisely why the views he expresses cannot be taken seriously.

I would prefer to use what he got in his own garage as a yardstick as to what he really thinks it's best.

That yardstick would only have some value if you thought that his judgement and objectivity when arriving at his own private opinions, as opposed to his publicly expressed ones, are of any real value. I have yet to see any signs to support this. 

Irrelevant, as explained in the two points above.

--

fritz

Wow! Both Tiff Needell and Jason Plato gave the 12C a thumbs down. Both of them span off the track due to it's counter intuitive nanny electronics. It was also a second slower around the Dunsfold track with Jason driving both cars. They say it's great on paper but where it counts in the real world the 458 has the better engine, breaks and gearbox and is simply more fun to drive.

Tiff actually looked scared when he spun off the track. I've never seen him like that before.

This awful. I don't see how potential buyers will go through with their orders. Very sad.

Hopeful they will retool the car.

--

nberry:

This awful. I don't see how potential buyers will go through with their orders. Very sad.

If it's just the stability control software as Iain's post suggests then they don't even need to do any retooling. They just need a better chassis developer  Smiley to rework the parameters for the ESC program.  

--

fritz

nberry:

The new money from China/Russia/India won't care, they will buy it just for the novelty value.

fritz:
    Whoopsy:
    fritz:
    koko:
    Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:

That yardstick would only have some value if you thought that his judgement and objectivity when arriving at his own private opinions, as opposed to his publicly expressed ones, are of any real value. I have yet to see any signs to support this. 

Don't think I recall he ever bought a Porsche, ever. But he has had Gallardo, Ferraris, Ford GT, SL55, pretty good picks I think.

ISUK:

Wow! Both Tiff Needell and Jason Plato gave the 12C a thumbs down. Both of them span off the track due to it's counter intuitive nanny electronics. It was also a second slower around the Dunsfold track with Jason driving both cars. They say it's great on paper but where it counts in the real world the 458 has the better engine, breaks and gearbox and is simply more fun to drive.

Tiff actually looked scared when he spun off the track. I've never seen him like that before.

This is worse than I ever expected. They better be working on a Mk-II version, I'm sure they will get there after some years, problem is who will buy the Mk-I?

--

Whoopsy:
    fritz:
    Whoopsy:

Don't think I recall he ever bought a Porsche, ever. But he has had Gallardo, Ferraris, Ford GT, SL55, pretty good picks I think.

But would you base your own choice of car on what Clarkson bought?

The results of real automotive journalists' tests are intended to influence car buyers' choices. Anyone influenced by Clarkson only has himself to blame. 

--

fritz

I based my own car purchases based you people here :) Pretty good bet I think. Pricey that's for sure.

Seriously, for me a journalist has no influence on my car selection. I do not take Clarkson seriously, I think he is good entertainment, nothing more.

I buy cars based on needs at times, but most of the time it's just a emotional thing. Blame it on intouch, I am just about to walk out the door to a Mercedes dealer simply because I saw his pic of his new car look stunning.

fritz:
    If it's just the stability control software as Iain's post suggests then they don't even need to do any retooling. They just need a better chassis developer  Smiley to rework the parameters for the ESC program.  

Rumor has it that their young driver Lewis Hamilton also spun off several times while testing the MP4; but the McLaren folks just said "the car's fine, that's just our Lewis...."   Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Don't be too hard on Clarkson. The 997Turbo impressed him to the point he acknowledged it was better than his beloved 430. 

--

nberry:

Don't be too hard on Clarkson. The 997Turbo impressed him to the point he acknowledged it was better than his beloved 430. 

You know, I still can't believe my eyes, you are defending Porsche against Ferrari

In any case, even without Clarkson, it's a well known fact that 997 Turbo eclipsed the 430 and Ferrari didn't get the crown back until the 458. Well, it's a clean sweep except the 430 has a better sound.

Carlos from Spain:
    ISUK:

This is worse than I ever expected. They better be working on a Mk-II version, I'm sure they will get there after some years, problem is who will buy the Mk-I?

Based on what I know to day I am also shocked Smiley

MKSGR:

Intriguing! Can you share or will Ron Dennis have you hunted down? Smiley

ISUK:
    MKSGR:

No additional infos, sorry. I am just shocked by these magazine tests Smiley

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

The new money from China/Russia/India won't care, they will buy it just for the novelty value.

I'm sure they will but not as much as expected. The car lacks the bling factor.

MKSGR:
    ISUK:
    MKSGR:

So did you already get your deposit back? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    MKSGR:
    ISUK:
    MKSGR:

I think he may heve to get into line on that. There could be a run on McLaren's bank first thing Monday that's going to make what happened to Lehman Brothers look like a minor test run Smiley

lol maybe we have to all bail them out

Rossi:
    MKSGR:
    ISUK:
    MKSGR:

I was smart and did not place a deposit Smiley Smiley (I was not interested in one of the first production cars...)

MKSGR:
    Rossi:
    MKSGR:
    ISUK:
    MKSGR:

I was smart and did not place a deposit Smiley Smiley (I was not interested in one of the first production cars...)

I know. Smiley

But I guess at the moment you are as well not interested in one of the later on produced cars. Smiley

--

Given the stunning performance of the Ferrari 458 press car, it sounds like the 458 Scuderia will set the new supercar benchmark!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Bogus handling, slower than a yesteryear Gallardo spyder, super nanny brakes/ handling control system, dodgy sat nav screen, a model name no one can make sense of or ever remember and no emotional appeal.

There will be no love stories about this car.

Ron, get a shovel!

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Given the stunning performance of the Ferrari 458 press car, it sounds like the 458 Scuderia will set the new supercar benchmark!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Awesome front facia Smiley I wish, it will just come out like this.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Awesome but flawed as usual with Ferrari, Maserati and Alfa Romeo... Where the hell are you going to place the license/registration number/plate?
    --

There is no try. Just do.

That's just a mock up of the 458 Scud by someone on the net. You won't see the real thing until 2013.

After watching the F1 race this afternoon and seeing how far behind the Mclarens were, I now agree that the MP4-12C is crap if it was based on the F1's cars' current downforce settings Smiley 

Pentium:
    Awesome but flawed as usual with Ferrari, Maserati and Alfa Romeo... Where the hell are you going to place the license/registration number/plate?

That is one of the most annoying things of today's Ferrari. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802499 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448327 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265884 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89891 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6368 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885268 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831806 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM