Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren MP4-12C GT3 racing car: official press release...

I'm afraid the McLaren showroom staff are simply peeing in the wind there. The Italia measured slower standing start times in EVO than the 458 so how did they explain that if it was a 600bhp wondercar?

I guess they have to try and put some sort of spin on it but 5 UK magazine tests going against them says it all. They missed the bullseye by some margin and that is solely down to the dogged determination to produce a technical marvel that is outright faster than the competition. A great recipe for the F1 grid but wide of the mark for a road car. They need to give Ferrari some respect as they have been producing top level road cars for well over 60 years now. I hope they didn't make a bulk forward order of test reprints from EVO and Car to hand out at the showroom opening. If they did they are going to have a lot of glossy toilet paper to get through at Woking

Car's killer line in their verdict sums it up perfectly ...... " The 12C's all round polish can't compensate for the fact that the Ferrari is the more engaging, more interactive, more compeling machine to drive hard, and if your supercar is going to tick any box, it's a good idea to prioritise that over everything else."

Shahzad you've got a 458 so know the challenge they face in coming up with something much better as they have repeatedly boasted they would

I hear Ron Dennis has invited Phil McNamara (editor of Car) and Harry Metcalfe (owner of EVO) to a private tour of the Technical Centre at Woking

Ron Dennis.JPG

Agreed  - the boast was clearly premature and that's the focus of this thread now. But what a great time to be in the market for these cars as the choice continues to expand. I suspect there are many great  attributes to the MP4-12C regardless of our emotional pull elsewhere. I'm still itching to drive it before making a final decision ( I wasn't far enough up the list to get a track drive). I suspect I will go for it as a filler before / or a companion for the 458 Spider.

I think you may have moved quite far up the list after today's road test revelations

ISUK:

I think you may have moved quite far up the list after today's road test revelations

Smiley

I'm so glad I decided not to put an order in. I am also regretting not ordering the GT3RS 4.0 though, which I would have done if I had known that the McLaren isn't the car I thought it would be!

ISUK:

Hey, I took a lot of (good humoured) stick for driving a spontaneously combusting FIAT. I think it only fair to savour the moment that my self igniting conveyance is now widely acknowledged to be the class leader.

SmileySmiley  Smiley

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/34fcl7a.jpg

Boy, this guy has 0 credibility and a poor reputation, I'm not sure its good for McLaren for him to be too associcated with this car, especially under the current circumstances with all the magazine test results and McLaren's excuses and pre-production fake semi-official numbers...

--

Top Gear chooses the 458 over the mp3 Smiley

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/34fcl7a.jpg

How come they are still testing the R8 V10 and not the GT? The GT is the track car and has shown to be very quick, so I don't really see why the try to stack the V10 up against the latest and greatest.

Top Gear tv show will be showing the 12C against the 458 this Sunday. I'm fully expecting it to be much faster around their track as McLaren did a huge amount of their testing there. If it doesn't go around that circuit much faster than the 458 then they really will be in trouble.

Clarkson will no doubt go completely against the rest of the motoring press and pick the 12C as he likes to be different.

ISUK:

Clarkson will no doubt go completely against the rest of the motoring press and pick the 12C as he likes to be different.

Also Clarkson is notoriously nationalistic when it comes to car comparisons when there is a british made car in the lot. So I expect JC to be McLarens biggest supporter in the press and as usual will go against the current to get attention as well.

If there is any test were I expect the McLaren to do best, it's in the TopGear TVshow, so anything is posible. Also if there is one test that is the least scientific and objective in its standards for testing, its the TopGear TVshow, the script is more important than reality. At least it will be entertaining to watch though I hope.

--

I found it quite interesting that the interview with Ron lasts 4.58 min  

LOL that cant be a coincidence. Good spot.

is that mp4 EVO lap with Corsas? IF yes then mclaren has some work to do (even if 458 was not standard).

Have done >100 laps at that track with racecars and its impressive the speed of these 2 roadcars over there.. Have gone 1.15 on a single seater with slicks there as my fastest lap but most laps are around 1-2 secs only faster from these roadcars on road tires/ (PS I am no racing driver..)

Road technology is getting amazing these days

The EVO Bedford time for the 12C is on Corsa tyres.

Ben Collins (the Stig) does a very well written write up in Car of his Rockingham test drives. At the end he says

"But for once lap times mean nothing to me - I simply prefer the 458 because it's purer and, ironically, closer in spirit to the McLaren F1"

He also says he believes the McLaren wasn't broken when he did his fastest lap and believes the intrusive traction control was the fundamental issue. He took the car out again after the McLaren support mechanics fixed the leak , let him disable the traction control fully and had put the Corsa tyres on. He only managed a best lap of 1:29.2 which is still nearly a second off his 458 time.

Although the GT2RS time was not as impressive as I expected, it was interesting to hear Collins' opinion that it was the only care of the group that could stand the abuse of multiple laps.

The Gallardo was running Corsas as well, the R8 standard P Zero's and the GT2 RS was on Michelin Cup's. About the GT2 RS he writes "I absolutely f***ing love this car". 

It sounds like he gave it everything he had in the Porsche -  "Laying down the staggering 516ft of torque without killing yourself takes some focus" Smiley

Certainly the most difficult car of the group to drive 10/10ths. I expect the GT2RS would monster these cars on a longer track (the 'ring being the ultimate expression of this). Kudos to the 458 for a blistering time, I never thought it stood a chance against the RS and 12C. Of course I would like to see more track comparisons. The 12C has drastically lost its appeal in my eyes. The car was supposed to be a revolution, it needed to make competitors look silly to live up to the amount of hype that was generated. It seems to have fallen well short. In my book it's still Porsche>Ferrari>.................Mclaren.

Carlos from Spain:

Also Clarkson is notoriously nationalistic when it comes to car comparisons when there is a british made car in the lot. So I expect JC to be McLarens biggest supporter in the press and as usual will go against the current to get attention as well.

On the other hand Clarkson is pretty vocal about his love for Ferrari over the years.

Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:

On the other hand Clarkson is pretty vocal about his love for Ferrari over the years.

Clarkson is pretty vocal about his On Again, Off Again love for Ferrari over the years.

koko:
    Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:

Clarkson is pretty vocal about his On Again, Off Again love for Ferrari over the years.

Let's face it: If you want to know how good or bad a car really is, any views expressed by Clarkson are irrelevant.  Smiley

--

fritz

The biggest issue the Top Gear tv show has is that all of it's lap times for the past four years plus have been set by Ben Collins as the Stig. They had no complaints then about his skills behind the wheel so the fact he has driven the 458 faster than the 12C is inescapable as a yardstick to the wider enthusiast audience at large.

Remind me never to ask Dennis to be a "motivational speaker"....the explanation of the cars name would put a person with narcolepsy to sleep.....

964C2:

Remind me never to ask Dennis to be a "motivational speaker"....the explanation of the cars name would put a person with narcolepsy to sleep.....

you mean with insomnia Smiley but you are right, I think he would be even able to put Charlie Sheen to sleep  Smiley

--

fritz:
    koko:
    Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:

Let's face it: If you want to know how good or bad a car really is, any views expressed by Clarkson are irrelevant.  Smiley

Let's face it: you are not entirely objective in your assessment of Clarkson. 

--

nberry:

Let's face it: you are not entirely objective in your assessment of Clarkson. 

Let´s face it: Supposing he wasn't, its such an understatement he doesn´t even need to be Smiley 

--

Carlos from Spain:
    964C2:

you mean with insomnia Smiley but you are right, I think he would be even able to put Charlie Sheen to sleep  Smiley

I did mean "narcolepsy"...he would put people to sleep instantly, even though they already spontaneously fall a sleep....being too clever Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802710 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448407 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265940 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89952 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6420 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885399 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832315 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM