Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 RSR - Official Data & Photos

for racing batteries are not used but, super capacitators, and they can handdle the racing loads without problems, it just depends on the design constraints! the current porsche flywheel is not designed to any rules so it has a higher storage capacity because all other systems are constrained to  400(F1) 500 Le mans KJ, while porsche built a system of over 1MJj.

the main advantage of the flywheel system in racing is that,  the performance of the system is not temperature sensitive, while the superCap system have to maintain a relativly constant temp, thus they require cooling.

mojeIme:

for racing batteries are not used but, super capacitators, and they can handdle the racing loads without problems, it just depends on the design constraints! the current porsche flywheel is not designed to any rules so it has a higher storage capacity because all other systems are constrained to  400(F1) 500 Le mans KJ, while porsche built a system of over 1MJj.

the main advantage of the flywheel system in racing is that,  the performance of the system is not temperature sensitive, while the superCap system have to maintain a relativly constant temp, thus they require cooling.

Thanks for the additional detail. Fascinating!!!
    --

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

918 RSR Celebrates European Debut: Geneva Motor Show 2011

...apparently there will be a Porsche 918 announcement in the next few weeks! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

We can only hope and pray in the meanwhile.

check this article out -- 

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/256067/

Porsche 918 Spyder production car due for delivery in 2013...

...looking forward to the Porsche 918 RSR road car!

Smiley SmileySmiley

£672,000!!

Not sure whether I should order one or several in a variety of colours...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

There will be no RSR road car. Just a 918 Spyder. 918 will be made, all upon customer request, none on speculation. It will cost 845k USD. Dealers will start taking delivery in late 2013. It will be built in Zuffenhausen, and will look better than the concept, and perform better. Buyers are required to submit a 200k USD down payment upon order, and will be expected to pay another 200k USD right before the car is built. This will be to assure each customer will follow through with the delivery. Individualization will be available, but the extent to which is unknown. Also notice in these new renderings a CGT style roof, real mirrors, and no side exhaust. 

i miss the day when i read it might be (only) 630 thousand dollars (500,000 euros) -- of course it wasn't packaged with a 997turbo s--

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-11/porsche-may-price-918-spyder-at-630-000-making-it-most-expensive-model.html

John H:

£672,000!!

I think only one per customer is allowed. You could always register a second one on a friend's name of course (people from rennteam  could do you this favour if you ask politely) 

Dark colours don't suit the 918, I think. So, I will order one in liquid silver and one in white myself . And then I'll wake up

--

"Form follows function"

The special turbo S is extra $$$

Porsche's Secret McLaren Beater...

Porsche-article_Autocar_Rennteam-p1.jpg

Porsche-article_Autocar_Rennteam-p2.jpg

Porsche-article_Autocar_Rennteam-p3+p4.jpg

Porsche-article_Autocar_Rennteam-p6.jpg

Porsche-article_Autocar_Rennteam-p7.jpg

Porsche-article_Autocar_Rennteam-p8.jpg

...thanks and credit to Autocar!

Smiley SmileySmiley

It looks a little like a Corvette in this rendering

Now that's more like it.!

P.S. Hate the drawing!1300944419553beingsick.gif

John H:

£672,000!!

That price is ridiculous...and the hybrid technology is even more ridiculous. It adds 200 kilograms for what, fuel economy and a stupid 2-second boost ? And btw, I bet that enormous price is due to the hybrid BS ! So you pay twice as much (compared to a carrera GT) for added weight and fuel economy lol. And reduced steering feel due to AWD. Exactly what supercars are all about, right ? Smiley

Porsche 718 W-RS at the Goodwood Revival...

A rare and painstakingly-restored Porsche 718 W-RS (with a Flat-8 engine) -- one of only four ever produced...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Porsche 918 RSR in Geneva...

Smiley SmileySmiley

A close look at Porsche's 918 RSR...

Things are spinning very quickly at Porsche. Literally. The 918 RSR is hardly short of eye-catching elements but, even so, a few items make an extra-shiny bid for your attention. Here we go.

This is a race version of last year’s eye-popping 918 Spyder concept, which means that the Spyder’s zero-emissions capability is irrelevant. So the RSR downgrades the all-electric lithium ion greenery and ups the old-fashioned internally combusted power output to 556bhp at – get this – 10,300rpm. Porsche hasn’t divulged the engine’s capacity, but admits it’s an evolution of the 3.4-litre direct injection V8 from the RS Spyder endurance racer. This is a good thing, quite clearly.

But it gets better. The RSR is re-greened - well, a bit - by featuring a pair of electric motors, one on each front wheel. These generate an additional 201bhp, taking the 918's overall power output to a thumping 757bhp.

How does it work? Well, sitting where you'd normally find the passenger seat on a road car is a device that looks like something Victor Frankenstein used to animate his monster. It's called a flywheel accumulator, which is an electric motor with a rotor that spins at upto 36,000rpm. Something very similar appeared on last year's 911 GT3 R Hybrid, and it's effectively an F1-style KERS energy-saving system. Under braking, the electric motors on the front axle recapture the kinetic energy that would normally be lost, which is then stored in the flywheel accumulator. The driver gets to redeploy this energy at the push of a button, delivering an extra slug of power for up to eight seconds if the system is fully charged.

With the crank spinning at 10,300rpm and the flywheel accumulator whooshing at an industrial 36,000rpm - it's 40,000rpm on the GT3 Hybrid and could be as much as 50,000rpm, though it would be more liable to explode at that speed - the 918 RSR is certainly what you'd call energetic. Porsche also calls it a ‘racing laboratory' and fully expects it to earn its keep on that basis. On top of which, it's yet another car that makes me wish I'd paid more attention in my school physics lessons.

Luckily, you only need a pair of eyes to appreciate the way it looks. And it looks so good that the 918 RSR might have booked its place, before it's even turned a wheel, alongside the likes of the 908/02 Spyder, 909 Bergspyder and, most significantly of all, the 917 KH competition cars (the 22 on the doors and bonnet reference the 917's 1971 Le Mans victory, when Helmut Marko and Gijs van Lennep set a distance record of 3,315 miles - a record that was only beaten last year).

Porsche says the Spyder is definitely the configuration the road-going 918 will have, but in so explicitly echoing its revered racing cars, the closed-cockpit RSR is surely the best-looking Porsche since, well, the 917. It's fantastically well proportioned, and manages that trick only Porsche can pull off of looking functionally curvaceous. Check out the front aero; the side exit exhausts;, the trick end-plates on the rear wing; the single, centre, locking nut on the wheels; and the fan wheel between the ram-air intakes. None of this stuff should be pretty, but somehow it is.

Porsche design director Michael Mauer insists that the orange colour on the brake calipers and bodywork stripe now officially signifies Porsche's hybrid motorsport technology, but adds that "when we created the liquid blue paint, we were looking at the Gulf-liveried racing cars". Like every car designer, the late-Sixties endurance racers exert a definite fascination for him.

"I like all of Porsche's racing cars," he tells me. "They're so pure, so nicely proportioned. But even before I joined Porsche, the 917 was the strongest symbol. Having said that, from a design perspective we never intended to doa successor for the 917. Our ultimate goal was to create a car that had the potential to become as famous as the 917."

The RSR's monocoque chassis is made of carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic, and its doors open upwards. Its transmission is ‘based' on the six-speed constant-mesh paddleshift used by the RS Spyder. Inside, meanwhile, the racing aesthetic gives way to something a little more tactile. I've never driven a race car that had brown leather on the dash, seats and doors, but it adds a certain Steve McQueen-era panache to the RSR, though there's a brazen lump of technology sitting where Steve would probably have opted for a brunette. There's a simple display ahead of the driver, a gear indicator, and further readouts for the flywheel. A large central spar separates driver from giant flywheel, and features race details such as a battery cut-off, a big starter button, and various rocker switches.

Currently ineligible for any competition category, Porsche is lobbying the FIA and other motorsport governing bodies hard. Let's hope it gets somewhere, because the RSR offers the sort of combination of new-age, relatable technology and compelling visuals that motor racing needs if it's going to head off the eco-mafia. Not the least of which is the car's torque-vectoring system. Not only do the electric motors supply an extra burst of power, they also effectively give the car all-wheel drive for the short period the flywheel-stored energy is being deployed, so allowing the driver to quell understeer. Recycling this kinetic energy also lets the car carry a smaller fuel tank, and cuts down on pit stops. It's inspiring stuff.

But not without its issues. Though Mauer admits they could have turned it into a ‘sculpture', there's not all that much you can really do to disguise a 47kg flywheel accumulator. (Groucho Marx 'tache and spectacles? A hat?) There's also nowhere else to put it than beside the driver, and it must be an interesting object to have accompanying you during a 24-hour race.

But it's still lighter than lithium-ion batteries, and not only does it suck energy in faster, it's also much better at discharging it again, a fundamental factor in a race situation. Which begs the question: will the 918 RSR compete? Yes, if erstwhile Porsche tech boss and new CEO of Bentley and Bugatti Wolfgang Dürheimer has his way.

"We're in contact with [FIA President] Jean Todt," he tells me, "and what I've said is that the GT3 R Hybrid is not a one-off car, that we will continue to develop it, and that the 918 RSR is our next answer. We are convinced the governing bodies need to react and that racing needs this technology if it is to have a bright future."

Dürheimer says that the GT3 R Hybrid proved to be an amazing "data lab": "There was a big knowledge gain every time we competed, with a big possibility of carrying over new ideas and techniques. Our future 918 customers will benefit from it." As to whether things are moving fast enough - or perhaps even too quickly for a business that simply doesn't enjoy the snappier lead times of, say, consumer electronics - he is more circumspect.

"Within Porsche, our groundspeed is OK. We have good strategies, and we can make Porsche bulletproof in terms of sustainability and social responsibility. We can keep our customers mobile without deleting the passion or performance Porsche delivers."

So, the 918 RSR should a) race and b) influence tomorrow's Boxsters, Caymans and 911s. Note also that as he heads off to tackle Bentley and Bugatti, Dürheimer is also newly responsible in the VW Porsche group for motorsport. He doesn't blink when I put Porsche and Formula One together in the same sentence. But that's another story.

"I'll make some suggestions to the board in Wolfsburg," he says. "I can tell you that I have some good ideas in my head. I'm just not allowed to talk about them."

Porsche-918-RSR_TG-article-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 918 RSR et al at the Shanghai Motorshow...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

I wonder if this car will ever make it onto the track?

Porsche certainly need something fresh for the 2012 racing season.

Spyderidol:

I wonder if this car will ever make it onto the track?

Porsche certainly need something fresh for the 2012 racing season.

I'm sure, it will. At least in next year 24h of N-ring...

It will be a shame if they can only get it accepted to run in the 24h of N-ring. (not diminishing the great race that it is), but Porsche are in dire need of a competitive car capable of competing in next years WEC.

Porsche 918 RSR in Carmel...

Porsche 918 Spyder preview...

...thanks and all due credit to KelvinC!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 918 RSR at Quail Lodge, Carmel Valley...

...thanks and all due credit to xs_torque!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 918 RSR in Monterey, California...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Way to much hype around that 918! Porsche is celebrating this car since two years and it is another 3 years until it goes of the line. The car will look dated once it get delivered as it was shown to often already. Nevertheless, Im a huge fan of this design, the car is a perfect ten to me, but c'mon - bring in to the street, deliver it and dont celebrate yourself over and over again!

Hm, they followed the same route with the Carrera GT, even presenting a serial production vehicle that was stylistically very close to the initial concept. Didn´t hurt either..

Porsche should invite Chris Harris over to Weissach for an early video preview of the 918 RSR in action...

RS-Spyder_Chris-Harris.jpg

...it will be great to hear how that Porsche Motorsport V8 engine sounds in the 918 RSR!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Stunning design, but COMPLETELY irrelevant unless it gets onto a track and actually wins something important. Soon.
    --

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com

2012 Porsche 918 RSR...

...thanks and all due credit to Aaron Miletich and Porsche!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802494 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448327 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89890 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6368 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885266 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831781 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM