Congrats! Lovely interior!

--

911 Carrera 3.2 - 968 CS - 997 Carrera

Re: New California has arrived

Congratulations. Certainly the nicest looking California I have seen 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

congratulations, nice choice, nice color and (i'm sure nice wife and  nice men that goes with) just a joke

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

Very nice Iain. Enjoy her in good health.

You have very good taste in specing color/options; at least very similar taste to mine

Everytime, when I thought you have made the perfect spec, you just come up with a new one

BTW, do you know if Ferrari had made any technical improvement on Cali since the first production of the car 3 years ago??

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Onur,

I'm not aware of any technical improvements. Ferrari tend to keep quiet on any revisions made to a model during it's production life unless it is a specific new option like the HELE/stop start (which my new car doesn't have). 

From what I can gather on various forums and from my dealer service guys the Cali has been fairly trouble free since launch. There was a calibration issue with a pump on the DCT gearbox that could result in a strange resonance noise on downshifts when in auto mode. It didn't cause any actual problems but sounded bad. A software reflash cured that but few cars seem to have been affected. Other than that I've only heard of one gearbox failure and a couple of cases of the trunk lid not closing properly after dropping the roof but those were simple sensor switch alignment issues. I know a couple of other Cali owners and both love the car and cannot praise it enough. Both were prior Ferrari owners witth one coming out of a 599 GTB and the other a 430 spider. Interestingly neither owner misses their previous models.

ISUK:

Onur,

I'm not aware of any technical improvements. Ferrari tend to keep quiet on any revisions made to a model during it's production life unless it is a specific new option like the HELE/stop start (which my new car doesn't have). 

From what I can gather on various forums and from my dealer service guys the Cali has been fairly trouble free since launch. There was a calibration issue with a pump on the DCT gearbox that could result in a strange resonance noise on downshifts when in auto mode. It didn't cause any actual problems but sounded bad. A software reflash cured that but few cars seem to have been affected. Other than that I've only heard of one gearbox failure and a couple of cases of the trunk lid not closing properly after dropping the roof but those were simple sensor switch alignment issues. I know a couple of other Cali owners and both love the car and cannot praise it enough. Both were prior Ferrari owners witth one coming out of a 599 GTB and the other a 430 spider. Interestingly neither owner misses their previous models.

Iain,

Thank you for in-depth info. I always thought Ferrari has calibirated the suspansion in time since most of the reviews complained about it beeing too soft.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Onur,

You're correct. There was a software upgrade for the magneride but neither of my cars has it so I don't have first hand knowledge. From conversations I've had with my dealer he said the revisions didn't really make a huge difference and he still thinks it's fairly softly suspended. That's whuy I much prefer the standard passive damper system as it's far more predictable.

I think Ferrari have the same issue with the Cali as Porsche do with the Cayman vs 997. They could easily give it more power and tighten up the suspension with an HGTC package but then it would encroach onto the sales territory of the 458 so they've pegged it back a few notches deliberately. I'd love to have a drive in the Novitec version as that will show what the car is really capable of.

A v12 California would be a dream...

A V12 California will be the new 599 :)
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:
    A V12 California will be the new 599 :)

+1 Smiley

BTW, according to Ferrari new model designation, 458 is 4.5l V8, right? So a 6l V12 should be 612?! Lol But wait! That designation it's already taken! Or if they increase the engine capacity by 10% it should be 6612?! Loooolll I can't want to see what Ferrari will come up with to get out of this one :D
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Well, Ferrari changes their nomenclature quite often. Perhaps we'll see something like a 630 or similar. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Some better pics .....

1306518645831DSC00334.JPG

1306518710620DSC00336.JPG

DSC00337.JPG

DSC00339.JPG

DSC00340.JPG

DSC00341.JPG

DSC00343.JPG

DSC00346.JPG

DSC00348.JPG

DSC00345.JPG

DSC00350.JPG

Stunning - thanks for sharing Iain  

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Iain simply nobody can spec a Ferrari as tastefully and sporty at the same time as you. You are a master.

Enmanuel:
    Iain simply nobody can spec a Ferrari as tastefully and sporty at the same time as you. You are a master.

Great combination Iain.

I miss those quintessential English gardens. Get me a subscription to Country Life !

To quote ZZ Top "Every girls crazy bout a sharp dressed man" - thats how your elegant new California strikes me. It look awesome.

One question: the alcantara looks great on the dash but do you have any sense of whether it is prone to finger marks - you know if the missus has just put hand cream on before she closes the glove box?? (perish the thought!!!!)

sevoman:

To quote ZZ Top "Every girls crazy bout a sharp dressed man" - thats how your elegant new California strikes me. It look awesome.

One question: the alcantara looks great on the dash but do you have any sense of whether it is prone to finger marks - you know if the missus has just put hand cream on before she closes the glove box?? (perish the thought!!!!)

Alcantara is fairly resilient and can be cleaned so it should be ok. I never had a problem with it in my Scuderia where the whole dash and seat bolsters were covered in it. It really lifts the interior, especially when the roof is up, as the different surface texture gives the dash a more attractive look than a single colour leather would have IMHO.

In this configuration looks so much more sporty. How´s the back seat space, it´s the same as a 997? From the pics seems smaller.

J.Seven

Ian, as everyone is aware of here, judging by how you spec all your cars and your magnificent garden, you are a man of great taste!

J.Seven:

In this configuration looks so much more sporty. How´s the back seat space, it´s the same as a 997? From the pics seems smaller.

J.Seven

Back seat space is probably similar to a 997. In my pics both front seats are set in their rearmost position.

The sports seats are probably not a great idea for anyone actually intending to use the rear seats as they are mounted low and have no height adjustment. I did think about going for the rear luggage bench option but prefer the look of the car with the rear seat configuration.

Stunning Cali mate, tastefully specced indeed

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

WOW Iain - sporty spec - looks great! First time I really love the look of it, always seen either red or white, but that one looks nasty 

Lars997:

WOW Iain - sporty spec - looks great! First time I really love the look of it, always seen either red or white, but that one looks nasty 

Iain have you sold your Cali ?? Have been in the mkt for a Cali with racing seats and saw one similar to yours but had been sold within a few hours of advertising Smiley

congrats again

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Italo:
    Lars997:

Iain have you sold your Cali ?? Have been in the mkt for a Cali with racing seats and saw one similar to yours but had been sold within a few hours of advertising Smiley

Yes I have. I didn't know you were after one or would have let you know about it.

I sold my Cayenne to the guys at Top555 who I have a good relationship with on Wednesday and they asked what other cars I had that I may be interested in selling. I told them they could test the water with my Cali as it would effectively spend the winter in my garage so it may as well rest in their nice, warm showroom as a speculative sale or return deal. They only picked it up on Wednesday afternoon and I never expected they'd sell it in under 24 hours! Smiley  

It just goes to show that something spec'ed a little differently does stand out and sell quickly.

ISUK:

Italo:

Lars997:

Yes I have. I didn't know you were after one or would have let you know about it.

I sold my Cayenne to the guys at Top555 who I have a good relationship with on Wednesday and they asked what other cars I had that I may be interested in selling. I told them they could test the water with my Cali as it would effectively spend the winter in my garage so it may as well rest in their nice, warm showroom as a speculative sale or return deal. They only picked it up on Wednesday afternoon and I never expected they'd sell it in under 24 hours! Smiley  

It just goes to show that something spec'ed a little differently does stand out and sell quickly.

You had the best Cali in town, the guys at Top555 told me that you are one of their treasured clients. I guess the long wait is for the the 458 spider next year.

The 458 coupe and Dino make the wait bearable in the meantime smiley

It appears Ferrari has sold 8,000 California's in 4 years. Not bad, considering how many initially bashed it - not me. Always thought it to be nicely styled, with enough performance to justify its Ferrari badge.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690825 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410079 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256159 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235379 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775040 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM