Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2011 Spanish F1 Grand Prix in Barcelona

The first European race is now in just under 2 weeks' time. I think there will be some important new upgrades to the cars as well.

But IMvHO none of it will make a difference. I can't see anyone taking Vettel's crown this year. He was already dominating qualification last year and continues to do so this year. But now he has ironed out the unreliable finishes of last year.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Re: 2011 Spanish F1 Grand Prix in Barcelona

IMO we have an interesting irony - races which are full of action - with plenty of overtaking due to tyre degradation, KERS and DRS. This is something we have been hoping to see for so long.

However, the end winner is usually Vettel. From a championship perspective, this season is already in danger of becoming predictable and boring. Vettel is a certainty for the drivers' title IMvHO and whether Red Bull can defend their constructors' crown will depend on Webber. Otherwise Button and Hamilton will do the job for McLaren in the constructors' championship. I guess Red Bull needs Webber for something ...

I fear Ferrari may not win any titles this year ... could that lead to Domenicali being replaced?

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

It's great to see that Massa has found his rhythm again - he looked a shadow of himself following Hockenheim last year.

Sadly, I fear this is Schumi's last season. I think the decision to retire will percolate within him during the remainder of this season and an announcement will be made in the Autumn.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Vettel is in a class of his own right now.  His 2nd place in China doesn't seem to have bothered him at all, and the fact that he was almost 0.5 seconds faster than Webber, who had an updated car, is very ominous.  I think you're right, though; the questions asked the rest of this season might be "who can take 2nd?" and "who can win the constructors' championship?"  Hamilton and Button are consistently fast, Massa always seems to have bad luck, and Webber just doesn't seem to be on this year.

I hope this is Michael's last season.  It was a shame to see him return with a rival team and in such bad form.  His lack of sportsmanship leading to very dangerous driving has been very frustrating, as well.  He just needs to retire and stay retired.

--

Apparently D'Ambrosio's sponsors haven't paid Virgin Racing - who need the cash - and they are the type of team that will quickly ditch a driver if the cash fails to materialise ...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/6926793/Virgin-confirm-D-Ambrosio-problems

--

RT Moderator 

This story makes me laugh and weep at the same time ....

Greece wants to host a F1 grand prix!

Not content with being a near bankrupt country that needed a massive bailout and also now threatening to leave the Euro altogether, the Greek State may partially subsidise a race in order to attract tourism etc ...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/6928069/Greece-vying-for-a-place-on-the-calendar

We live in a crazy world - people need to live within their means ... spending can become a form of addiction ...

--

RT Moderator 

hahahahahahahah that's the funniest thing i've read all year. What are they thinking lol

It should be an interesting race, let's not give Vettel the crown just yet either guys. It's a long season and many many things can change... So far, i am really impressed with the seriousness and maturity of his races, a true champion in the making!! It's been a delight seeing him enjoy deserved wins with such calculated precision and concentration. Goooooooooooooooooooooo VETTEL 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

I don't mind if Vettel wins - what bothers me are the strange celebrations he has ...

Over the radio, instead of saying "Yeah!" or something else vaguely 'normal', he says things like 'we are who we are' and 'that's what I'm talking about'.

And then when he exits the car, he points his index finger to the ground and then loops it up to the sky in front of the world's video cameras. I feel like saying to him, "Sebastian, we're not stupid - we realise you came first" ... Smiley

Also, in the post-race interviews, he says some strange things too. His answers become even more elliptical, cagey and evasive than normal ...

He's a very nice guy but slightly strange and somewhat intense IMvHO ...

On a personal level, the guys I like most are Button and Webber ... I could easily imagine being friends with them in real life .. they are really normal guys with zero attitude ... I'll bet they are a great laugh to go to the pub with Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

x2 The celebration is getting pretty annoying and old by now. Its easy to look like s champion when your car is in another league than your rivals, even Massa or Barrchello could look like a chamipion that way. I agree that the nicest guys are Webber and Button too.
    --

I always like Webber and Button too actually. But I do like Vettel just for that, he just says it. He is himself and he's very excited and young. In some of his interviews, it sounds like he's living his absolute dream and beyond... I'd run out of witty comments too.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Unless Red Bulls reliability takes a nose dive, I don't see them falling off the pace this season.

The Championship is Red Bulls' to lose. It's in Vettel's pocket unless Weber decides to grab it from Vettel's pocket.

Whoopsy:
     It's in Vettel's pocket unless Weber decides to grab it from Vettel's pocket.

I doubt the team would allow that.

--

Williams is really in crisis ... the team may not implode as such but it is like a ship drifting on the high seas without direction or any wind in its sails ...

Even Rubens is talking about not re-signing with them at the end of the season - and this is the guy desperately trying to cling onto a career in F1

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/6929839/Barrichello-Improve-or-I-m-out

--

RT Moderator 

And the penny drops ...

Willy Weber held out for a race seat in a better team for Hulkenberg ... the poor guy got nothing ... Pastor Maldonado, who won GP2, took his race seat due to financial backing from the Venezuelan government but has made no impact at all so far this season ....

Now the Hulk and his manager have parted company ...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/6929886/Hulkenberg-splits-with-manager

--

RT Moderator 

Fascinating insight into the fuels used by F1 cars - particularly the additives used ...

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/05/how-f1-fuels-are-made/

--

RT Moderator 

An interesting analysis from James Allen on the political game Barrichello is playing at Williams

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/05/barrichello-takes-the-hard-road/

--

RT Moderator 

LdM is stoking the fire regarding whether a breakaway series may be formed ...

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6930332/Ferrari-Boss-Breakaway-On-The-Cards

--

RT Moderator 

Alonso extends his Ferrari deal till the end of the 2016 season. LdM must really love him! I can't imagine how much Ferrari is paying him. I can only guess - 25 million Euros per year?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13452839.stm

--

RT Moderator 

Nigel Mansell says Vettel's rivals must raise their game ...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/6939120/Mansell-Time-for-pretenders-to-step-up

I suspect it is too late already ...

--

RT Moderator 

Mark Blundell to be guest steward in Barcelona

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/6938891/Blundell-guest-steward-in-Spain

--

RT Moderator 

Interesting views from Adrian Newey

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6938319/Newey-Vettel-At-The-Top-Of-His-Game

--

RT Moderator 

The blown exhaust diffusers are legal but burning extra fuel when the driver lifts off the throttle (to keep the benefit of the extra downforce through corners) has caused a controversy ...

It has been legal so far - and teams like Red Bull and McLaren have benefitted from it greatly - but then it was outlawed by Charlie Whiting who then backtracked by keeping it legal but scheduled it for discussion at the next FIA Technical Working Group meeting.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/05/the-real-story-behind-the-fias-exhaust-clampdown/

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/6938690/Goss-Diffuser-limits-would-impact-McLaren

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/6938279/Blown-diffusers-out-then-back-in

--

RT Moderator 

The impact of DRS, KERS and Pirelli tyres on Barcelona

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/05/why-the-f1-grand-prix-at-barcelona-is-set-to-thrill-for-the-first-time/

--

RT Moderator 

Lotus hopes its exhaust upgrade will gain it 1 second per lap

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/05/gascoyne-lotus-updates-for-spain-worth-a-second-a-lap/

--

RT Moderator 

Finally, Silverstone gets a makeover ...

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/05/silverstone-future-proofed-as-it-opens-new-facilities/

--

RT Moderator 

Easy,

get yourself a press card and launch your own articles.

easy_rider911:

Alonso extends his Ferrari deal till the end of the 2016 season. LdM must really love him! I can't imagine how much Ferrari is paying him. I can only guess - 25 million Euros per year?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13452839.stm

He seems really happy with Ferrari, even though he is not getting good results from the car you see he is still very happy and that he is thinking in terms of the long run and not jus results in this season. Having followed Alonso since his debut in F1, I have never seen him so happy in a team and he seems to admire Ferrari quite a lot, there is a sense of pride in belonging to a team I haven't seen before in him. I see him retiring there. On the other hand, Ferrari needs a driver like Alonso who can develop a car and more importantly lead and develop a team like Schumacher did when he came in. So this deal makes a lot of sense and was probabl very easy to negotiate. Only problem is for the second driver, who ever comes after Massa has got to know that Ferrari & Alonso have a clear  "first and second driver" way of doing things.

--

Ferdie:

Easy,

get yourself a press card and launch your own articles.

LOL Smiley There's so much going on in the world of F1 right now ... it's an exciting time for us fans SmileySmiley

--

RT Moderator 

Carlos from Spain:

He seems really happy with Ferrari, even though he is not getting good results from the car you see he is still very happy and that he is thinking in terms of the long run and not jus results in this season. Having followed Alonso since his debut in F1, I have never seen him so happy in a team and he seems to admire Ferrari quite a lot, there is a sense of pride in belonging to a team I haven't seen before in him. I see him retiring there. On the other hand, Ferrari needs a driver like Alonso who can develop a car and more importantly lead and develop a team like Schumacher did when he came in. So this deal makes a lot of sense and was probabl very easy to negotiate. Only problem is for the second driver, who ever comes after Massa has got to know that Ferrari & Alonso have a clear  "first and second driver" way of doing things.

Couldn't have said it better myself Smiley

--

RT Moderator 

....Alonso and Ferrari makes somwhat sense these days. Both parties do lack alternatives.

My personal impression is that Ferrari is on the edge in its post Schuey-Brawn-Todt era and at risk to fall back into a situation as in mid 80s/early 90s... Driver as Teflonso is then right choice, even there is a risk that they step down further if such a driver leaves... That´s why I don´t like the strategy on relying on a named No.1  driver.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM