Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Help me to understand - Porsche drivers

I had the chance to drive in a GTS Cabriolet this Saturday. The sun was shining, top was down and I was enjoying a nice ride in the city.

A Porsche 550 Spyder, can't even tell if it was a replica, driver was in the 60s, bald and with a huge belly but a nice blonde female co-pilot, came up in my rear. He tried to pass me on the right but the traffic ahead of him slowed down, so he had to change the lane back, leaving him at the stop light behind me. Me being first at the stop light, I did what I usually always do with a test car, I fully accelerated. After hitting slightly over 60 kph, I looked in the mirror and the 550 Spyder was aprox. 100 meters behind me. The PSE was turned on and the GTS Cab made a sound from 911 heaven, very nice and loud.

Then, I again observed in the rear mirror that the 550 Spyder tried to pass me on the right but each time he tried, the traffic in front of him slowed down. After a short while, he was able to put himself next to me on the right and the driver started shouting "You really were fast" but in a very ironic tone and laughing loud. I refrained from replying "and you were really slow" and just waved with my right hand. Then he passed me with full speed on the right, ignoring the speed limit completely(which I usually never do in the city).

What had happened here? I know so many Porsche drivers and I met even more at a stop light or on the street(s). Never had such an encounter, never had somebody talking to me this way or making fun. Did I hurt his feelings when I was faster from the stop light? He was behind me, it was never my intention to race him, I just had fun with this GTS Cab, he wasn't even next to me.

Which made me somehow realize that he actually had various logical(but not necessarily nice) reasons for his behavior: If the 550 Spyder was the real deal, this car was definitely more worth than the one I was driving. It was a classic Porsche, actually one of the classic Porsche, so maybe it was more of a Porsche than the one I was driving? Maybe he felt bad that he couldn't prove something to his female co-pilot(like I mentioned, he tried to pass me on the right a couple of times earlier and didn't succeed)?

I was really a little bit upset because Porsche owners usually greet each other but they don't make snappy comments. 

So what do you guys think? Did he have a reason? Do I worry too much? Aren't classic and modern Porsche drivers on the same page?

Any input is highly appreciated.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: Help me to understand - Porsche drivers

Cherchez la femme

60+ man with nice blonde female.

--

"Form follows function"

RC, he seems like a fool - I wouldn't be sensitive about it and I wouldn't give it a second thought.
    --

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

... Just adding, there are plenty of idiots on the road. This one just happened to have a real or replica classic Porsche. I stopped generalising about Porsche owners long ago. One just can't generalise based on 1 example anyway ...
    --

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

He probably *assumed* that you were trying to show off, and reacted accordingly.

FFaust:

He probably *assumed* that you were trying to show off, and reacted accordingly.

My thoughts too but the reaction was quite...how should I call it...strange? Smiley

I have VW Golf and Opel Astra passing me at 100 kph in the city and I never would make such a snappy comment. It is just below my dignity, difficult to explain. Why would somebody, who even owns a 550 Spyder, do that? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Well...humans... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

if it would be a genuine 550 the driver would have had much more class - usually those who drive those cars (like a 356 etc) have multiple porsches and don't need to show-off in any way , shape or form. They KNOW what they can do and what not - plus do they know yr car very well too. A true 550 would have just greeted you and hurled along with u to enjoy yr car - sound - and his at the same time.....

Same around my area - those "ricers" who have no chance anyway always want to race me in the GT3RS - comming 30cm close to my rear bumper left and right - but any Porsche so far or Ferrari just cruises along and we admire eachother in normal speeds.....

Since I have the Car I drive much more relaxed on normal roads - as I don't have to show offit's capability - a true enthusiast just knows and that is good enough.

Exactly -agree with BjoernB !
    --

RT Moderator 

BjoernB:

if it would be a genuine 550 the driver would have had much more class - usually those who drive those cars (like a 356 etc) have multiple porsches and don't need to show-off in any way , shape or form. They KNOW what they can do and what not - plus do they know yr car very well too. A true 550 would have just greeted you and hurled along with u to enjoy yr car - sound - and his at the same time.....

Same around my area - those "ricers" who have no chance anyway always want to race me in the GT3RS - comming 30cm close to my rear bumper left and right - but any Porsche so far or Ferrari just cruises along and we admire eachother in normal speeds.....

Since I have the Car I drive much more relaxed on normal roads - as I don't have to show offit's capability - a true enthusiast just knows and that is good enough.

I fully agree. I really didn't want to show off, I always drive that way because it is fun. With another Porsche on the right hand side next to me, I wouldn't have done it because it would have been lame. I usually enjoy racing motorcycles from a red light, this is most fun and bikers are usually very nice and they show thumbs up...if they think I deserved it. Smiley Not really difficult in a 997 Turbo though. Smiley

--

By the sounds of it, it was probably a replica and the guy a complete poseur. I would not think about it much more than that. He acted very strange, so i will not speculate on any inhouse Porsche commentary he may have portrayed in your opinion.

If he was a genuine nice car guy he would have

1. not be angered by you enjoying your drive and
    2. he would have not risked his 550 (if it is real) in this way.

It's sad, but there's arrogant poseurs in almost any car these days...

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

I think its interesting that so much of how we read each other is assumption based on partial, sometimes very subtle cues.  We reach conclusions based on how we feel about what we see others doing, and are right often enough that we take our conclusions as more factual than they really are.  And once we reach partial conclusions, we build more ongoing assessments on them, forgetting what is observed information, and what is earlier assessment.  Of course, given how much reality we have to process every moment, and how our brains work, we have little operational choice otherwise...

The honest truth is that the way you were driving is perfectly understandable and reasonable, but someone with an entirely different attitude might perform exactly the same way, and maybe he misunderstood you, and maybe you misunderstood him.\

He's probably an a-hole though!  And we all know that your a good guy RC!

davew (cincy):

Smiley

Smiley

--

I would not take that seriously...maybe, the guy just wanted to prove (or show off to the lady) that with his 550 he  could still handle any new Porsche (like the one you were driving)...just keep on enjoying yourself (and I repeat: YOURSELF!) ... ...

Sorry Christian, you brought this upon yourself. He tried to pass and was not able to. At the light you sent a message.

You did not need to do that at that light. Subconsciously you were showing him who is boss AND at the same time call him out in front of a woman passenger.

Naughty boy.

--

nberry:

Sorry Christian, you brought this upon yourself. He tried to pass and was not able to. At the light you sent a message.

You did not need to do that at that light. Subconsciously you were showing him who is boss AND at the same time call him out in front of a woman passenger.

Naughty boy.

--

He tried to pass on the right, I was going 65 kph(60 kph was the legal speed limit), the traffic on the right was going slightly faster, than suddenly slower. I had cars in front of me too, no way to let him pass, even if I wanted to. At the stop light, I usually always fully accelerated when I'm trying a "new" car, no intention to "show him who is the boss". Despite the fact that I know very well that an original 550 Spyder could never be faster than a GTS Cab.

You must be over 60, Nick... Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

Posers in a Porsche are the norm here. In fact real enthusiasts are a rarity, most owners just care about "it's the most expensive one" or "it's a Porsche" . I cringe eve time I'm at a light and see a beautiful Porsche being driven by some show off wearing shades at night, and a gold watch, windows down and music up for all to notice.

Enmanuel:
    windows down and music up for all to notice.

Well...this was actually a problem for me. The latest BOSE on the 997 GTS Cab is amazing when driving with the top open, the sound is full and vivid, much better than on my 997 Turbo(1st gen). I always turned down the volume a notch because I realized that the music was too loud when people turned their heads at a stop light. Smiley I love listening to loud music, so this would be really a problem for me. Smiley

--

As others have said I cannot imagine this 550 was the real deal. Anyone who owns a Porsche w/ that much pedigree would behave much better, as an enthusiast, not as a guy w/ a chip on his shoulder driving a replica.  This sort of nonsense happens here in South Florida all the time, but I guess I always imagine German drivers as better trained and more mature. Oh well, people are people and they come in all flavors the world over. Don't beat yourself up over this moron. So RC are you going to acquire a GTS Cab? How about that Ipanema Blue metallic for a touch of the tropics??

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Probably something like this...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/20292/550-spyder-by-chamonix-first-steer/

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Hmm, passing on the right, right there that's already wrong.

Audi is the car of choice here in the UK for mutton heads like that.......Smiley Shouldn't generalise, I know but....Smiley

Never had an experience like that with a fellow Porsche driver, but driving a Cayman I guess I'm the underdog!! Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

RC:
    davew (cincy):

Smiley

Smiley

SmileySmiley

Whoopsy:

Hmm, passing on the right, right there that's already wrong.

+1   He was repeatedly trying to pass on the right, forget him! Smiley

Sorry Christian, that dog will not hunt.

You could have let him pass on the right. All you needed to do is slow down to allow him to do so. But you were not having any of it.Smiley

I don't care if you were testing the car or not. Full acceleration from a stop light after what had transpired between the two of you was clearly a message that my car is faster than yours. You and I both know what you were doing.Smiley

Christian, you must be under 20 years old.SmileySmiley

--

For me there are two possible explanations:

1) The 550 Spyder was fake and the driver envious, because you had the better car. He felt you wanted to race with him, but couldn't pass you on the street and so he couldn't impress the lady next to him. So his "You really were fast" was expressing his frustration.

2) The 550 Spyder was real and the driver was a bit snobbish. Exactly knowing, that he has the much more valuable car (and most probably plenty others, which are also much more valuable than "your" GTS) he was making fun of you, meaning something like "You're the man with your damn fast Porsche" because he thought you wanted to race with him.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Stephan you're being charitable. Christian was hogging the left lane doing ONLY the speed limit. He knew that those passing in the left lane will be going faster than the speed limit. Nevertheless, he remained in that lane forcing the 550 Spyder to try and pass using the right lane. Seeing this, Christian refused to allow him to pass in the right lane by staying close to the traffic in the right lane.

Then at the light, Christian with full knowledge his car was much faster  and knowing that the Spyder is directly behind him, races from the light with the clear intent of sending the message you cannot go around me. If I witnessed this once, I have witnessed it a hundred times.

What the man we telling Christian was "Big deal you have a fast car. What's your point?"

--

I doubt that RC is a rolling road block.

If that guy was in a real 550 he would be more concerned about BBQing the $$$$$$$ roller bearings of his crankshaft than playing cat and mouse with some guy in a new Cab. Its really much ado about nothing.

Fortunately dueling has been outlawed in Germany for many decades so sabers or rapiers will not be needed.

I try not to use traffic lights with cars around as a time to do maximum acceleration. It invites responses from every tosser with a muscle car/rice burner/hot chick beside or behind you. OTOH if no one is around I will crank it up. 

We also have unmarked cop cars who will book you for hooning.

Personally I would forget about him. Perhaps you could have wiggled you fifth finger at him although if he was 60 and fat, something that big might be a compliment

Traffic lights = city roads

City roads = no left lane hogs, as the left lane is not a designated passing lane

City roads = passing on the right is still a no no

Actually under no circumstances that passing on the right is right.

Why should RC slow down? He has the right of way, as a left hand drive country the right lane has to yield to the left. In any case RC is already faster than the speed limit, not like he was driving slow.

Btw, Nick, your post up there read just like a lawyer in court, putting words in someone's mouth effortlessly. :) Pretty sure you are a lawyer

Whoopsy:

Actually under no circumstances that passing on the right is right.

100% agreed with you  - but I must say, in my recent driving tour of Florida, other drivers were overtaking each other like lunatics whenever and wherever they could. Overtaking on the right was normal for them. I even saw one car overtaking another and a third car overtaking the other two at the same time! I was frankly shocked by the unsafe driving I witnessed. It's dog eat dog on the roads I travelled on.

The irony was that drivers were so particular about obeying stop signs and coming to a complete stop before turning right on a red light but in pretty much every other circumstance, unsafe driving was commonplace.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691191 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410261 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256281 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65763 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858893 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775228 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM