Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Defect on PDK paddles steering wheel

I installed a year ago a the paddle shift PDK steering wheel. Upon receiving the car with new steering I notice some kind of blur on the part shown in the pictures. The excitment to play with the steering was high Smiley so I didn´t border with that. Now the rush have passed and the blur was anoying me.

Went to my dealer last week and show them the blur, they order a new steering wheel on the spot without a word of discussion. 5 days after new steering came and now I´m happy again, no blur at all, just cristal clear look, and the feeling of brand new leather in your hands is also great Smiley

Here´s some shots before and after

Before, notice the blur /

This blur was on the three plastic parts of the steering

Horrible

After...cristal clear

Much better...

So all of you who have this defect, go to your dealer to have it fix. Many brand new cars came also with this blur from factory, I believe Porsche is changing them if you protest, otherwise they wont say nothing.

My dealer gave me a 5 star service, didn´t take more than 30 minutes to have it installed Smiley

J.Seven

Re: Defect on PDK paddles steering wheel

Mine started clear when new but I noticed that it was becoming blurred after a few months.Now, it is almost all uniformly blurred so that someone who hasn't seen a new one cannot tell that there was a deterioration.

I wonder if the suppliers corrected something in their materials or the replacement ones will also become blurred as time goes by.

--

"Form follows function"

Since it took me over a month to notice information on the steering wheel, I suspect I have a similar problem. The writing is VERY faint. Barely readable.

--

nberry:

Since it took me over a month to notice information on the steering wheel, I suspect I have a similar problem. The writing is VERY faint. Barely readable.

Shouldn't it be readable only when the Sport modes are active? Just wondering...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I would guess that Nick didn't drive 'his wife's car' after dark ...during daylight they are barely visible but at night-time they are highly visible...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:

I would guess that Nick didn't drive 'his wife's car' after dark ...during daylight they are barely visible but at night-time they are highly visible...

John, at least on my car, even during daylight it´s easily visible.

Christian you´re right, only when Sort/Sport Plus is on, it´s visible.

J.Seven

This blurring of the plastic doesn't affect the Sport/Sport Plus indications.

They light up and can be seen very well regardless.

--

"Form follows function"

One question please:Smiley

...did the dealer just replace the steering wheel or the airbag as well ?..because this is / was always an issue with the 997.1 version and what prevents me to swap the leather for an alcantara one...

d997h:

...did the dealer just replace the steering wheel or the airbag as well ?..because this is / was always an issue with the 997.1 version and what prevents me to swap the leather for an alcantara one...

Why is that an issue? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I've been to the Dealer on this matter this morning. I decided to go after this Rennteam thread, although the blurring has been there for some time and it didn't bother me.

This coincided with a visit by 2 technicians from the factory in Stuttgart doing a Service Clinic for customers. They said that it is a known problem but the causes are not known. They said they would replace, if I wished. The Dealer told me that they have already changed a couple.

However, I asked them to check with the factory first, if the problem was solved and new parts are free from this defect. If not I wouldn't bother changing it now and have the same issue recurring a few months later. I'd like to be offered a defect free replacement, if and when it becomes available.

--

"Form follows function"

You are correct. Also, I have not driven the car at night nor has my wife. Now that I think of it, I don't believe I drove any of my Ferrari's at night.

My night time driving is done with a larger and safer car like an SUV.Smiley 

--

This is really a strange problem - one would expect Porsche to be building steering wheels that wouldn't develop a cosmetic defect like this ...  

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

This is really a strange problem - one would expect Porsche to be building steering wheels that wouldn't develop a cosmetic defect like this ...  

I think such things can happen. In this case I guess it's because that gimmick with the lights in the spokes of the steering wheel.

Really, who needs a writing for a certain driving mode that lights up when selected in the steering wheelSmiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I have this problem on my 997.2 TT and took my car to the dealer and they said they would change it no problems, but the new one would do the same thing!  I'm gonna go back and complain again, thanks guys!!!

Moser

easy_rider911:

Could it be it was from a lesser VW supplier?

Exactly - Porsche sub-contracts the manufacture of many of its parts - but this ought to be spotted in quality control .... 

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I also have this ' problem '.....and it was not an any issue until I read this thread .

I always thought it looked not very nice..... but it does not stand out and is really a ' detail'.

I will see what i do, but if I change for a new one, and the blur comes back, there is no point. I prefer to save my bullets for ' stronger problems ' 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

d997h:

They replace only the steering wheel.

J.Seven

Sorry to hijack the thread but i drove a Turbo S the other day with paddle shifters fitted. 

Is it me or does anyone else find their position a pain ? The reason being that i guess as they were an after thought the shifters are mounted to close to the steering wheel and hence effect your grip of the wheel. Looking at them Porsche had no other option as they need clearance from the other stalks.

I guess you get use to them, but the positioning seems much better on Lambo of Ferrari. One for Porsche to sort out on 991 ?

d997h:

Not sure what you mean. I exchanged my leather steering wheel with an Alcantara one on my 997 Turbo(1st gen) and the airbag stayed the same, no change whatsoever.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

cdixon:

Sorry to hijack the thread but i drove a Turbo S the other day with paddle shifters fitted. 

Is it me or does anyone else find their position a pain ? The reason being that i guess as they were an after thought the shifters are mounted to close to the steering wheel and hence effect your grip of the wheel. Looking at them Porsche had no other option as they need clearance from the other stalks.

I guess you get use to them, but the positioning seems much better on Lambo of Ferrari. One for Porsche to sort out on 991 ? 

No problem for me from the beginning. I never touch the other stalks by mistake and it's easy to access the paddles by one or more fingers without spoiling grip of the steering wheel. The wheel must be in the right position of course (up/down and inside/outside) so that the driver has grip at the correct position.

Ferrari use column mounted paddles that are large sized.. Given the very limited st. wheel rotation that is required to turn (only 2 turns lock to lock) the paddles are accessible at whatever st. wheel position. I've never driven a Lamborghini but I suppose it's the same.

However, on a car with more turns lock-to-lock, the wheel mounted paddles are more readily accessible also when the wheel is turned.

--

"Form follows function"

Not had a problem with mine either - paddles are perfectly placed once you get used to using them.

I agree with Reginos.... seat and steering wheel positions must be correctly adjusted for each individual driver.

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

RC and others,

thank you all for your valuable input (pls, read on, I am serious abou thatSmiley)

it seems, I am the only one having this "problem" - my dealer told me - and one can read in the tequipment brochure as well - "note: airbag module is not included in the scope of delivery" - and told me, that for "safety reasons" ("whatever this means...") they must not keep the original airbag once the steering wheel is replaced like here swapping leather to alcantara. Sorry, if I may sound silly here, but that's the quote I got and that's why this thread is such an eye-opener to me now...Smiley

The steering wheel could be removed and fitted back for a variety of reasons by the workshop. Does it mean that every time the air bag has to be replaced

--

"Form follows function"

Smiley what can I say ? Smiley

I do trust what my dealer tells me (obviously, he may be wrong on this issue) - he knows that I am a "good" client for him and I wouldn't expect him to tell me any BS...

John H:

Not had a problem with mine either - paddles are perfectly placed once you get used to using them.

I agree with Reginos.... seat and steering wheel positions must be correctly adjusted for each individual driver.

And that probably is my problem....

I have trouble getting a good driving position in all 911s unless they have the lightweight bucket seats. I drove a GT3 with the folding buckets and found these just not give me enough room between my knees and the steering wheel (Hence one of the reasons why i paid an extra £3k for the lightweights). I have very long legs !

Also as i have large hands i found i could not wrap my hands around the wheel at the 2:45 position without catching the paddles. I will say that i did get to the point when i did not notice it after about 50 miles of road driving, but i am not sure how i would find them on track, or if i had to rotate the wheel very fast to combat oversteer !!!!! 

The PC replied to me this afternoon that officially there is no change in the manufacturing process, the materials  or the supplier. I take this to mean that the replacement st. wheel might develop the same problem.

What I agreed with the PC, is for them to monitor the condition of the number of st. wheels they have already replaced and if after the summer they all continue to be immaculate, they will order a new one for me too. Otherwise I won't bother.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos, if I were you, I would get the repair done. If it's currently blurred then that (slightly) spoils your enjoyment - you are at least aware that it is there and it may be bothering you just a tiny bit - but if you get it repaired, there's a chance it may not recur. The risk of recurrence is there but is not certain. Anyway, it means the problem gets dealt with under warranty and if it recurs, you can say it's a repeat problem so the OPC should keep fixing it under warranty.

--

RT Moderator 

Gnil's approach is smart too - saving his bullets for real complaints - but this IMvHO is only significant if you are asking the dealer to swallow the cost - so you want the dealer to swallow the cost when it really matters.

In this case, the dealer wouldn't swallow the cost - he will simply push the cost to the local Porsche importer saying it is a design fault. If anything, the dealer will be happy doing a warranty repair since it means he gets reimbursed by the local Porsche importer for the warranty repair cost (with a profit built in) plus it keeps his technicians occupied.

The technicians are a fixed hourly cost - he has to pay them when they are on duty regardless whether they are working on billable tasks or not - the more hours he can ensure they are booked to do repair jobs, the better for him.

--

RT Moderator 

easy_rider911:

reginos, if I were you, I would get the repair done. If it's currently blurred then that (slightly) spoils your enjoyment - you are at least aware that it is there and it may be bothering you just a tiny bit - but if you get it repaired, there's a chance it may not recur. The risk of recurrence is there but is not certain. Anyway, it means the problem gets dealt with under warranty and if it recurs, you can say it's a repeat problem so the OPC should keep fixing it under warranty.

You have seen the pictures above. The outside layer, the shiny plastic doesn't get distorted and the LED information is very legible. It is some sort of dark film underneath the shiny plastic that becomes blurred. In my case due to the passage of time, it has become almost entirely and uniformly blurred, so it is not as irritating as a patchy blurring.

Having said the above, I could wait a bit longer to see how others' replacement parts behave before proceeding. Moreover, I hope the factory introduce an upgraded part in the meantime that eradicates this issue for good. I just don't feel I could ask for a new st. wheel every six months if this blemish recurs, even if possibly I might be entitled to one.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764837 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436834 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261198 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258085 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82709 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877162 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809317 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM