Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: SportAuto Supertest of Facelift Nissan GTR

nberry:

I don't recall whether any European country requires using the TURN SIGNAL to indicate a lane change. Do they?

--

Of course, all of them.

Have you ever noticed in your 911 that if you lower/raise the turn signal and stop right before it sticks, the lever pops back and you get just a 3 blink turn signal activation... well thats what its for, its the lane change turn signal, and cars have it for a reason. It gives you three blinks and stops automatically, usually enough to signal the lane change.

--

Honestly, I was not aware of that function. In the US our authorities are fanatical about safety on highways. That is why very few if any States have higher speed limits than 65mph. If signaling a lane change was a safety factor, you can bet it would have been law here.

If I had to guess, the reason for signaling lane changes in Europe is the higher speed limit?Smiley

--

I guess the US, unlike Canada, don't have the law that fines people who fails to signal when changing lanes, and we already have a lower speed limit than the US.

I think the speed limit is tied to the level of driver education, US and Canada have the lowest standard for getting a driver's license, that's why we have the lowest speed limit. In Germany where they have stretches of unrestricted highway, they have the highest standard for getting a license.

nberry:

Honestly, I was not aware of that function. In the US our authorities are fanatical about safety on highways. That is why very few if any States have higher speed limits than 65mph. If signaling a lane change was a safety factor, you can bet it would have been law here.

If I had to guess, the reason for signaling lane changes in Europe is the higher speed limit?Smiley

--

Nick, we're not discussing about rocket science here, if you want to change lanes at any speed you need to use your turn signal (Left or Right)  Smiley

Imagine the turn signal being on the options list when ordering a new car Smiley

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/34fcl7a.jpg

nberry:

--

I don't know, speed limits in Europe are not much higher in Europe, generallly 120km/h (72mph) with some a bit higher (France, Italy for example) and some a bit lower (UK, Spain, Finland for example). If you ask me I think the use in lane change turn signal in US may be more of a cultural thing and how multiple lane driving is regarded. In US the cars all tend to drive in all lanes at similar speed like a herd, in Europe, the left lane still regarded by law as an overtaking lane (though less and less by newer drivers) and lanes are more respected, thats why its important to signal in advance when you are invading another lane, rather than just driving without lanes like in US. 

The US authorities may be fanatical about safety but those pencil pushers have always been out of touch with the real factors of traffic safety and accident mortality. They engrave on the mirror the obvious "object may appear coser that they really are" like if people are stuped but they allow motorists to ride without a helmets, they put silly stickers all over the place like the airbag warning stickers on the head visors but they allow (or at least the did last time I was there) to speak on the cell with one hand while driving with the other Smiley

--

Failure to signal is a ticketable offense everywhere in the US (including lane changes). It is not often enforced. Sometimes it is used as an excuse to pull you over if the officer suspects something else. Sometimes it is used to assign blame in a traffic accident. Sometimes it is a violation that gets added on along with others when you have particularly irritated some officer.

JimFlat6:

Of course in some countries people may feel a psychological need to use their turn signals to change lanes and or the law might require them to even leave their signal on when in a passing lane.

What kind of psychological need are you referring to? I am currently driving in different regions of Germany and can sense different notions of using the indicators. It does help tremendously, for example waiting at an intersection or while driving on the Autobahn, whether the approaching vehicle is about to turn or change lanes. That does not even include the safety aspect if the speed differential is significant between two cars...

Wow... there seem to be people on this planet who didn't realize that a turn signal can actually also indicate a lane change...I'm not only surprised but shocked, truly shocked.

I'm not surprised there are much more accidents in the speed limited US than in Germany(remember?...no general speed limit) because changing a lane on a crowded highway without using the turning signal is not just irresponsible, it is just plain dumb. I have seen many situations where an accident was very very close to happen and I can only imagine how often these accidents actually do happen.

Btw: I have noticed that some drivers use the turning signal when they change the lane and some don't. Even the police has some sort of erratic behavior: Some police cars use the turn signal when they change the lane, some don't. I was paying attention very carefully this time.

Also interesting: Most drivers driving much faster and changing lanes spontaneously are mostly drivers of smaller japanese cars. Very surprising because I actually thought that only drivers of expensive cars actually can afford paying fines/going to court. 

Another observation I made in the US on the highway: When I passed a car, the car sometimes accelerated and made it very difficult to pass it, so I had to get faster too, sometimes reaching speeds over 90 mph in a 65 mph zone. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

Wow... there seem to be people on this planet who didn't realize that a turn signal can actually also indicate a lane change...I'm not only surprised but shocked, truly shocked.

I'm not surprised there are much more accidents in the speed limited US than in Germany(remember?...no general speed limit) because changing a lane on a crowded highway without using the turning signal is not just irresponsible, it is just plain dumb. I have seen many situations where an accident was very very close to happen and I can only imagine how often these accidents actually do happen.

Btw: I have noticed that some drivers use the turning signal when they change the lane and some don't. Even the police has some sort of erratic behavior: Some police cars use the turn signal when they change the lane, some don't. I was paying attention very carefully this time.

Also interesting: Most drivers driving much faster and changing lanes spontaneously are mostly drivers of smaller japanese cars. Very surprising because I actually thought that only drivers of expensive cars actually can afford paying fines/going to court. 

Another observation I made in the US on the highway: When I passed a car, the car sometimes accelerated and made it very difficult to pass it, so I had to get faster too, sometimes reaching speeds over 90 mph in a 65 mph zone. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

What you noticed happens in Canada too. Especially the passing part. Seems like all these North Americans don't like having 'something' in front of their cars, period.

As I said before, these North Americans have been trained to speed up when they see a turn signal indicating someone wants to change lane, so that they can slot in behind them.

Turn signal violations amounts to the min traffic fine in most places, a small amount that these "Fast and Furious' wannabe ricers surely can afford.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690571 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409821 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256056 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235290 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858505 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774766 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM