Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: GT3 RS 4.0

LOL!!! I'll post pics this week 

i just love the sound of this 4.0. Hope the 991 RS will come with something similar or even better

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

Cram:

i just love the sound of this 4.0. Hope the 991 RS will come with something similar or even better

I don't think the 991RS will be similar nor sound similar (DFI).  It could be better, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it is...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Anyway they have to come with a sound that has a sound of a Porsche and not an Audi or VW and as usually they don't do things half way by Porsche, i'm sure it'll come out good.

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 in detail and start-up sound...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 -- First Drive by Top Gear...

So, this is the endgame limited-edition run-out special of the 997-series Porsche 911. And like a lot of run-out specials, it has a spoilers and stripes. And while they might be the maddest spoilers and the stripiest stripes you ever did set eyes upon, they aren't the point. Instead it's all about the engine.

This is definitely, positively, the last road-going appearance for the Mezger flat-six, so-called because it was the culmination of the brilliant career of Hans Mezger, one of Porsche's lynchpin engineers for four decades up to the mid-Nineties (the 917, the TAG McLaren F1 engine, dot dot dot). This crank and block won Le Mans in 1998, mid-mounted and turbocharged in the Porsche GT1 car. This is an engine with heritage, character and immense physical integrity.

And to mark its departure, they've stretched it from 3.8 to four litres, so we end up with a 500bhp, normally aspirated flat-six. In a car that weighs 1,360kg with all fluids aboard. It's £128,466, and it's sold out.

I'm being told, by the engineer behind Porsche's GT cars, Andreas Preuninger, just how much effort and complication this involved. I could listen to him all afternoon, for two reasons. 

One, it's fascinating. Two, the car is right outside, awaiting my pleasure around Silverstone. And while part of me, obviously, is busting to jump in and see how very awesome 500bhp feels in a GT3, a very significant other part of me is repeatedly postponing the moment.

I am not a racing driver, and the GT3 RS - with its Sabatier wings and steamroller tyres and air of dismissive snort - looks like it will make a berk of me, or worse. On early laps, the racing 'box - with shorter, stiffer throws then a normal 911's - finds me uncalibrated, and I keep overshooting the gate.

The clutch is sharp, the steering darty, the carbon brakes so ridiculously powerful I either arrive at the corners way too slowly or outbrake myself on the crest. And anyway, the speeds at the ends of the straights are surreal because of all that power. Car is way too good for bloke. But instead of losing interest, car gently coaches bloke.

The engine might have 125bhp per litre, but miraculously it also has a big wide cushion of powerband, so I begin shifting gears in moments when my head clears. The quick, safe-bolt gearlever action rewards like no semi-auto ever can.

But it's the handling that's the revelation. The already super-focused GT3 RS chassis has been given slightly firmer springs, but also a change from conventional rubber to racing solid ball joints for all the lower joints at the rear. It brings a new increment of precision.

There's something else too, a trick option from the 2009 GT3. ‘Active Drivetrain Mounts' stay soft for refinement in normal driving and gearshifting, but pretty well lock the engine and 'box to the body when you're pressing on, keeping its weight fixed in place. Good: the big dog in the boot is now harnessed down rather than scrabbling around.

It all means extraordinary connection. The suspension, so free of slack, keeps you intimate with the tyres, and the steering feel is just as good as the world's 911 cheerleaders have always advertised. What's new here though is that it's not just that every input from you gets an output from the car, but that as soon as you cease the input, the output ceases too. So it's magically prompt and progressive in reflecting your acts and the changes in the surface underneath.

Too much braking into a sharp corner? Understeer. Nose going over a little crest? Steering goes light as the front tyres unload. Settled and power on? Beginnings of oversteer. Unsettled and power-off? Ditto. Always with the option to fix it by adjusting the astoundingly progressive delivery. And then, in fast corners taken properly, the car pressed down by its aero and devouring roadway like it hasn't eaten in weeks.

OK. Breeaaaaathe. Time to pause and head out onto the road. Silverstone's vicinity is bumpy, narrowish and mendaciously cambered. Just the thing to bring a wide-tyred, low-slung missile ignominiously to its knees. But no. I arrived here in a GTS that wriggled its nose in places where the 4.0 remains more true. And where the GTS had wriggled its rear - not through loss of grip but just with the camber change and the bushing and the engine mounts taking up their slack.

The 4.0's tail stays rail-precise, right to the moment where it clearly telegraphs the surrender of grip. And throughout, whether on road or track, the stability control is supernatural. So it's fine as a road car. It's fine as an everyday road car actually, except you might think about ear plugs for the motorway to fend off the crazy tyre noise (solid joints, eh?). And the heavy race clutch turns traffic into harder legwork than cycling. Otherwise, no issues. You need a certain swagger to sit with that tail spoiler, mind. Don't know if I do.

Still, at least it has a nice coat of paint. They could have left it sinister naked carbon - the front wings and bonnet too, for that's what they are. Doors are aluminium, rear-side windows Perspex, aircon and nav no-cost options. But that's all GT3 RS 3.8 stuff.

Even the rear wing is the same, though angled steeper for even more downforce - so much so that it levers the front end upwards, for which those little front sideburns compensate. But the real new sorcery is the engine. Regular Carreras have had a different engine family for years, and the phase II 997 Turbo switched to that new family too, all with direct injection. So the Mezger was left to drive the GT3 and turbo GT2, and their RS and racing relatives. Porsche can't bear the cost of continuing with both, so this is it for the old soldier.

It isn't a pure race engine; those don't have variable cam-timing or inlet geometry because they don't have to be driven between rush-hour traffic lights without stalling or poisoning the pedestrians. But the crank and block in the new GT3 RS 4.0 are exactly as last year's racing GT3 R 4.0. It's a longer stroke than the 3.8, because there wasn't room to widen the bore.

Yet even so, the new RS 4.0 isn't just a long-stroke version of the 3.8 RS road engine. The heads, the intake manifold, the exhaust, the valve-timing, they're all new, to get the best balance of revs and torque and power. Open the lid, and you see a honking pair of conical race-type air filters in a carbon box.

And for that you get an engine that's hugely muscular but alert too. It hums and roars and howls at 8500rpm, kicking your head back with the physical force and its own emotional enthusiasm. It buzzes with simple joy. In its death year, it is more alive than ever. The end of the 997 isn't some slow fading descent into darkness, but a brilliant, blinding flash...

Porsche-911-GT3-RS-4-litre_Top-Gear-article-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 review, video and images...

A little before the camera takes very little time tearing down anything, but the camera operating personnel is not the fastest people on earth. On the 911 it was not, because the keyword is tough. Acceleration: hard. Brakes: hard. Cornering speeds: hard. Chassis: hard. How the bucket seats grip your body: hard. How the click of the belt thing in your side punctured with boarding: hard. Comfort: not available. Air conditioning: too much weight. Navigation: see air conditioning. Performance potential: out-of-this-world.

Leusden, and lies between the land of Zuffenhausen limitless autobahn. The 911 GT3 RS 4.0 is not the strongest car that our "editorial offices" ever crossed, but Porsche knows of PQ is always just a bit more to it than the rest of the world. Or at least it seems, the GT3 RS 4.0 was therefore a tremendous impression on me. The last of the 997's, now there is really nothing more easily put 200 on the clock. No surprise, as Porsche claims a sprint time from 0-200 km / h in 12 seconds. More impressive is how the steam from 4.0 to 300 +. On a trip of over 500 km during the day (!) On a weekday (!) Was the counter at least five times (!) Over the magical 300. Oh and also get used, not only for other road users. Fortunately, the 4.0 standard equipped with ceramic brakes, slow down so I'm fine. Especially since there is very sticky semi-slicks are the rims. The official top speed is also 310 km / h, but with much insistence the number 327 km / h appeared on the counter. The six-cylinder boxer is pretty much towards the rev limiter, so a lot of stretch is not there anymore.

Heart of the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 is of course the fabulous six-cylinder boxer unit. Although Porsche is also very nice turbo engines (the 911 Turbo and GT2) is up to now always an atmospheric block in a GT3. In this case the largest ever in a production model of the Porsche 911, the volume is 4.0 liters. Porsche does not happen overnight just gone through the existing 3.8 liters large block drilling. No sir, the 4.0 was because the crankshaft from the 911 GT3 RSR (which really only allowed on the track) and got forged pistons and titanium connecting rods. The result is an impressive 500 horsepower, which the specific power of 125 hp per liter is. This makes the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 the most powerful naturally aspirated engine of the moment. And given the focus on CO2, downsizing and the use of supercharging that would be a record for the time being to continue.

That so much horsepower from relatively so few liters comes, means that the 4.0 mainly likes to operate on top of the rev range. To 4.0 at the bottom called slack is an outright insult to the Porsche engineers and foster a lifetime ban for Zuffenhausen still to come, but only above 4000 rpm shows the true power block. The maximum torque of 460 Nm at 5750 rpm therefore only be achieved. Do not worry however, because a broad powerband, the GT3 RS 4.0 weldegelijk: that maximum 500 hp at 8250 rpm in fact only be achieved. An absolute screamer so that only the terms up to speed 458 Italia for must tolerate.

Porsche has also paid much attention to weight saving, so the hood, bucket seats and spoilers made of carbon fiber. The rear window is not glass, but of very light plastic. At high speed with windows open creates the comic effect you see the window move in the wind. And you'll drive with window open, because Porsche found that installing an air conditioning unit was too heavy. There is not. Navigation, heated seats, door handles or other luxigheden all either. Porsche went so far as to save weight carpet assembly. Strangely enough cup holders remained well, although they are hidden under decorative trip a circuit board has carbon (or carbon really is).

Also high on the list was further improve the aerodynamics. The GT3 RS 4.0 was not a large rear spoiler with custom edges. To balance the 4.0 is also the first 911 so-called "flics" got the air deflectors on the sides of the front spoiler. At top speed makes sure that 190 kg of downforce is added. On the autobahn it also felt very stable at 4.0, although the suspension and damping bang hard sometimes to make a jump on less slippery conditions. The cornering speeds are such an amazing level of the lesser gods like you and I need that week in the brain to process.

This is in every way a real car men, and then also for men with a big heart. Although Porsche a fantastic (and fantastically fast) PDK dual-clutch box has edited one but a regular manual transmission. A tank that is getting a firm hand asks, does that enable accurate, but prolonged track use as possible is done to consolidate it all than we are used Porsche. If you're really good with the clutch and then bake in 3.9 seconds on the clock to 100, but as simple as a 911 Turbo launch control (namely the PDK box) is not. The four-wheel drive 911 Turbo not miss, because the combination hallelujah rear engine and semi-slicks provide unprecedented traction. With a small tjilpje ties launches the GT3 RS 4.0 is off the mark, after an unprecedented acceleration begins. The 911 GT3 RS 4.0 is the latest generation 997 and in a sense the best. At least if you are looking for an uncompromising racer that allows you to track days or at the Nurburgring, you sparkle. The big six-cylinder boxer four liters is the most atmospheric block Porsche has so far delivered. A monument of a car...

2012-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-4-litre_Autoblog-NL_article-link

2012-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-4-litre_Autoblog-NL_video-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 at 320 km/h...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 video review...

Smiley SmileySmiley

I can't argue about the GT3 RS 4.0 sound but my GTS Cab with original PSE and "sound mod" (flaps always open) sounds better than the GT3 RS. 

So it is definitely possible to achieve a good sound with the DFi engine too.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

maybe you've only heard a GT3 with low miles.... 

BjoernB:

maybe you've only heard a GT3 with low miles.... 

...or at low revs.  I've driven both models (GT3 and GTS with PSE on) back-to-back recently and there is just no comparison - the GT3 wins by a country mile.  There is no substitute for the racing howl of a Mezger engine as it approaches the red line.  Smiley

I'm not saying the GTS doesn't sound good, but it's just on a different wavelength (literally) to the GT3.

...or in a YouTube video  The 997.2 PSE sounds very good, but no match to the sound from a GT3. I just participated in PSDS training at the Ring with lots of GT3 RS cars and GTS cars and the difference in exhaust loudness and note between them is huge, especially when hearing them driving by under full throttle.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

2012 Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0...

Smiley SmileySmiley

bluelines:

...or in a YouTube video  The 997.2 PSE sounds very good, but no match to the sound from a GT3. I just participated in PSDS training at the Ring with lots of GT3 RS cars and GTS cars and the difference in exhaust loudness and note between them is huge, especially when hearing them driving by under full throttle.

Most 997.2 PSE equipped cars don't have that little box from Carnewal... Smiley Smiley

Even my dealer was amazed by the sound, the GT3 stock exhaust isn't even close to it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    bluelines:

Most 997.2 PSE equipped cars don't have that little box from Carnewal... Smiley Smiley

Even my dealer was amazed by the sound, the GT3 stock exhaust isn't even close to it.

--

Ok, you have convinced me. I am getting the box Smiley

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

RC:
    bluelines:

--

A 3.8 L GT3 doesn't come close to a 997.2 with sport exhaust always opened?

Come on RC!!!Smiley

we want video proof - then I'll record mine

Not sure which Carnwal box RC is referring to, I know they have a remote control to open or close PSE.

I have a 997 C4S X51 mk I with flaps open and a 997 GT3 mk II with Flaps open. Not sure how to best explain but in both cases a workshop I use, de-acivated both mechanically and in the control system the valve of the vario-sound so flaps are fully open all the time.

My C4S PSE sounds incredible, way better than with PSE on, the key difference is that you can hear the difference from the start without waiting for revs to move past 4k.

That said, the difference with my GT3 mkII with the same set up is dramatic, the sound that comes out of the GT3 overwhelms completely my 4S, that said, it is a different type of sound. 

Hard to explain again but the 4S has more rattle, more combustion bangs, very nice sound. The GT3 is just brutal, it really feels more real like a car that means business and not just play. Just an opinion on very subjective perceptions.....

I 100% agree with AS4's statement and having 7 911 in my condo I can firsthand disdinguish the cars just by passing my place whereas I must admit one of them has a 997.2 4S and he seem to have PSE - but also has a way to have it open all the time and the sound it produces is indeed how a 911 should sound. It reminds me to the 964 RS with a Cup-pipe.

Normal S cars - specially the DFI - sounds much less than even a 997.1.

On the otherhand the 997.2. GT3 RS with the Sport-button engaged- my gearbox rattles quite loudly and while standing still it sounds much different - dunno if this is because of the Titanium exhaust or if valvetiming but it is very different to any 997....- then it fades a bit until 3k rpm  before it really screems away. (only topped by Scud/SL)

We have also a 997 SportClassic there - and I dunno what they've done to that exhaust - but this sounds fantastic too.

The sport classic has a specific exhaust. I believe it is the same also on the Speedster but not sure.

The fully open mode on both 997 and GT3 is an easy fix and should be compulsory!Smiley

At idle, the noise the RS makes comes from the single mass flywheel.

The noise of the GT3 is truly lovely, yes a Scuderia is louder but what an ugly noise.

Sound MATTERS!!!

A couple of pics from last week, a week alpine tour with some friends. Funny, as EVO mag is releasing an issue on car sounds.

I took along my Alfa 8C spider and my good old Carrera S and I can confirm that the 8C is most probably the best sounding commercial ever made. It is ridiculous! Looks and sounds out of this world. Drives pretty good too, not amazing but really good fun.

Finished our pilgrimage in Stuttgart where we were greeted by this mean full cage 4L.

IMG-20110819-00632.jpg

Heiligenblut-20110818-00608.jpg

Heiligenblut-20110818-00611.jpg

Fusch an der Großglocknerstraße-20110818-00619.jpg

GT3 RS 4litres (3).jpg

GREAT pictures- next time give us Swiss Rennteamers a ring should you pass Switzerland territory 

BjoernB:

GREAT pictures- next time give us Swiss Rennteamers a ring should you pass Switzerland territory 

We did some great roads in Swtizerland: Furka pass, andermatt, oberalp, davos to zernez, etc.etc.etc.

Austria was also sick! Driving heaven for petrolheads!

Didn't know you had an 8C Spider as well, they were lyrical about its noise in the latest EVO-issue.

What a blast that trip must have been!

Looks like you had a great trip Futch

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Amazing trip Easy!

Porker, I exchanged it about a year ago with my 599. It turned out to be a great move!

Futch:

A couple of pics from last week, a week alpine tour with some friends. Funny, as EVO mag is releasing an issue on car sounds.

I took along my Alfa 8C spider and my good old Carrera S [...]

Thanks for sharing those pictures with us. I have to say you have great taste in cars... as it exactly matches mine! Smiley

Still a bit surprised that you turned away from Ferrari or is it only temporarily?

Ferdie:

Still a bit surprised that you turned away from Ferrari or is it only temporarily?

I am not really surprised - Futch is the kind of sportscar owner who just loves to drive and enjoy feedback, precision and performance Smiley

That sounds as if someone else turned away from Ferrari as well...

Ferdie:

That sounds as if someone else turned away from Ferrari as well...

With age comes wisdom Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM