Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Test of super-cabrios in Autocar

The British car wins, as expected Smiley

What a disappointment the GranCabrio! Beyond the pretty body it's a structural, fit & finish and dynamic mess,according to Autocar, always.

And Autocar's explanation why no 911 was included in the test. "If you like what a 911 offers, it's highly that unlikely anything else will do". Spot on IMO Smiley

autocar test.jpgautocar test 001.jpgautocar test 002.jpgautocar test 003.jpg1303580071350autocar test 004.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Re: Test of super-cabrios in Autocar

The Maserati was never intended to be an open top so wasn't engineered to give the structural rigidity required in the floorpan. Maserati would have launched the 2+2 that became the California instead. The GranCabrio was a rush job to satisy a market segment and has a ridiculously small trunk due to the cross bracing at the rear. The next generation of the car should be much better.

It's still the best looking car in the test and at this level of the market that counts for more. Interesting to note that the general public ignored the two German cars whenever the test team parked up and nearly everyone wanted the Maserati due to it's looks.

Conclusion: The GranCabrio is a car that looks good with nice materials inside. But it's at its best when kept parked in order to attract maximum attention from the public. Maserati have invented a new category?

--

"Form follows function"

I don't think it is that beautiful. The front is cool, but there's a certain awkwardness in that big grille, looks like a scoop or snow showel. Then the rear is nothing special IMHO. the taillights are very Subaru, which is NOT a good thing at all in this segment.

For me the clear winner is the SL. It dominates the brand new BMW in handling and looks proportionally the most true to a sweet super-cabrio. It's simply the best package of these four to my liking at least. You know there is quality, great engine, great interior, great driving pleasure.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

reginos:

Conclusion: The GranCabrio is a car that looks good with nice materials inside. But it's at its best when kept parked in order to attract maximum attention from the public. Maserati have invented a new category?

--

"Form follows function"

No, it's not a new segment. They've just been forced to stick to the old formula when 4 seat cabrio's were somewhat wobbly  - chop the roof off a four seat coupe. Saab got away with it for years with the 93 and Audi did with the original 80 series based cabrio. It's a segment of the market they really couldn't afford to ignore when they only had a two model line up but they know it is dynamically challenged. I've driven one a couple of times and I didn't find it anywhere near as poor as Autocar make out in this comparison.

Remember that not everyone who buys these cars does so for how they drive reginos. That applies equally to many 911 cabrio buyers Smiley

ISUK:

Remember that not everyone who buys these cars does so for how they drive reginos. That applies equally to many 911 cabrio buyers Smiley

True! Cabrio buyers as a general rule (exceptions excluded) are in for the show Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

In all fairness, convertibles do not lend themselves to hardcore driving (with the notable exceptions of some supercars, track day specials and roadsters, but even then, the closed top versions are better). Convertibles are most of the time boulevard cruisers. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Yes, as a rule there is a significant difference in driving characteristics between a 2 seat roadster and a 4 seat cabriolet.

--

"Form follows function"

Here in Vancouver, Canada there's more SL's on the road than there are VW Golf's in Germany.

Clearly people do not buy it here to show off, because every other car is the same. What is interesting though is that the SL63 and SL65 AMG now perfectly blends in with the "crowd" I sort of love that idea very much. SL65 AMG is a true supercar, yet no one would notice really among the many versions of the SL driving around.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Nonsense. Today's Cabs are as good as coupes in performance. The difference is negligible. 

If anything, the Cabs are more fun to drive under all conditions.

--

Curious that they did not test a Jag xkr instead of the vanilla motor XK.

nberry:

Nonsense. Today's Cabs are as good as coupes in performance. The difference is negligible. 

Coupes handle better because they have stiffer bodies. Performance differences, yes they could be negligible. Drive the closed version of your Turbo hard and you'll realize that. And Porsche open top cars are some of the stiffest available.

Anyway, if what you say is true, it makes the Maserati Cabrio's weaknesses look even worse than they are.

--

"Form follows function"

JimFlat6:

Curious that they did not test a Jag xkr instead of the vanilla motor XK.

To be similar to the new BMW in price, I think.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    nberry:

Coupes handle better because they have stiffer bodies. Performance differences, yes they could be negligible. Drive the closed version of your Turbo hard and you'll realize that. And Porsche open top cars are some of the stiffest available.

Anyway, if what you say is true, it makes the Maserati Cabrio's weaknesses look even worse than they are.

--

"Form follows function"

On top of that coupes are a lot more slender as well! It makes some difference! Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

reginos:

--

Don't hate the player, hate the game Smiley

REALZEUS:
    reginos:
    nberry:

--

"Form follows function"

On top of that coupes are a lot more slender as well! It makes some difference! Smiley

For example in the case of Nick's Turbo the weight difference is 75kg. The equivalent of carrying an average sized passenger in the cabrio all the time

--

"Form follows function"

Happy Easter Reginos btw! I reckon you must be a greek orthodox. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

Happy Easter Reginos btw! I reckon you must be a greek orthodox. 

Yes I am.  All the best to you Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Cheers mate!!! 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I saw a white Maserati GranCabrio this evening in Boca Raton - it looked drop dead gorgeous :)
    --

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

The Maserati interior looks terribly. Very dated. Nice exterior in coupe form, but that's about it. It's in desperate need of a new model.

easy_rider911:
    I saw a white Maserati GranCabrio this evening in Boca Raton - it looked drop dead gorgeous :)

Actually, I had a chance to (visually) examine in detail a GranTurismo coupe last Friday at a petrol station where I had my car washed. It was in grey with darkgrey/black interior. Certainly it looked impressive although as mentioned by Aaron above , the grille is too exaggerated and out of proportion (reminds me of a large-mouthed fish) and the style and size of the rear lights don't blend with the rest of the car. The interior although not modern is still very classic and cosseting. The whole car inside and outside design-wise, brought to my mind buildings of  the neoclassical style that abound in Italy, which is very appropriate, I think. Subjectively, I don't like large cars especially when they don't have the corresponding carrying capacity and this car is too large by at least 10% without a practical reason. The engine sound was very loud but very pleasing to the ear, of very nice quality and when it accelerated away the crescendo could be heard for the next kilometer and a half.

A nice car to look at,  but when it comes to purchasing and owning the vast majority of buyers worldwide go for the established brands, apparently.

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

+1 Smiley

HeavyMetalThunder:
    nberry:

+1 Smiley

Especially in the case of  the Carrera, there is a tangible difference between the closed and open version handling-wise. There is also a significant weight penalty. Try the two in parallel on demanding roads such winding with bumps etc and you will notice that. And the Carrera Cabrio is one of the best in rigidity; imagine how others will be.

I am not dismissing the cabrio version at all. It is just that the closed version drives even better.

Fun to drive? If your priorities are the "wind in your hair" factor and the proximity to nature, then fair enough.

In the case of two-seater roadsters like the Boxster vs Cayman the difference is smaller.

--

"Form follows function"

for this kind of cars, who cares which one is 0,1 sec faster or slower, you will not anyway get into a track or???

so for me it's the look and the sound that is the factor that make me choose , so without any doubt the maserati stands alone in an other class, it is a really beauty I think the most beautiful cabriolet right now ( drophead apart)

--

993 c2

xander71:

for this kind of cars, who cares which one is 0,1 sec faster or slower, you will not anyway get into a track or???

so for me it's the look and the sound that is the factor that make me choose , so without any doubt the maserati stands alone in an other class, it is a really beauty I think the most beautiful cabriolet right now ( drophead apart)

If we are to believe  the Autocar magazine, the Maserati has glaring weaknesses in fit & finish, rigidity and suspension dynamics  that can become evident during normal road driving and  ownership. Nothing to do with track driving or acceleration runs.

Unless someone buys the Maserati as an object to only look at (and gain public attention), I believe such drawbacks will become very irritating very soon into ownership of this car.

--

"Form follows function"

xander71:

--

993 c2

Smiley

reginos:
    xander71:

If we are to believe  the Autocar magazine, the Maserati has glaring weaknesses in fit & finish, rigidity and suspension dynamics  that can become evident during normal road driving and  ownership. Nothing to do with track driving or acceleration runs.

Unless someone buys the Maserati as an object to only look at (and gain public attention), I believe such drawbacks will become very irritating very soon into ownership of this car.

Then don't get one.

koko:
    reginos:
    xander71:

Then don't get one.

Relatively, very few people worldwide want to get one.

--

"Form follows function"

This test is a good reminder of what an ingenious car the 911 is compared to those big fat boats. In it's cabriolet form it is only 70 kg heavier than the coupe and it is very rigid - you will feel the lack of driving talent long before you reach the point where the chopped roof matters. It is faster than all of the tested cars and its a pure no-compromise sports car. It's a better daily driver because it is small and if you get it with AWD you can drive it all year long. I can pack enough luggage for a 10 day vacation (it takes some practice). And if you get the turbo cabrio your car will be dramatically faster even then the most powerful coupe versions of the tested cars...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM