Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tiff Needle drives the new Ferrari FF

What a great car! Smiley

fwd.channel5.com/fifth-gear/videos/supercars/ferrari-ff

Re: Tiff Needle drives the new Ferrari FF

Nice, but I don't know if it's going to be the rousing sales success F expects it to be.

That said, I would take one of these before I would a Scag which I have never been able to warm up to.

Heist:

Nice, but I don't know if it's going to be the rousing sales success F expects it to be.

That said, I would take one of these before I would a Scag which I have never been able to warm up to.

It wont be that difficult to achieve the 10% target.

Why would a person want a FERRARI on ice and snow? 

--

Now that Ferrari perfected the awd system, they can flip it around and use it on their mainstream mid-engine V8s to better compete with the benchmark 997Turbo, Lambo Gallardo.

The knock on Ferrari has always been their cars are traction limited, rwd is not enough to harness 400+hp, let alone 500-600+hp.

Whoopsy:

Now that Ferrari perfected the awd system, they can flip it around and use it on their mainstream mid-engine V8s to better compete with the benchmark 997Turbo, Lambo Gallardo.

The knock on Ferrari has always been their cars are traction limited, rwd is not enough to harness 400+hp, let alone 500-600+hp.

Of course Ferrari will never do that. Their AWD system is targeted at the GT market. AWD is a disadvantage in fair weather and good pavement.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

nberry:

Unfortunately some people live in climates where that stuff is on the road 6 months out of the year. Smiley

lamborghini_snow_3.jpg

I bet these people do not wear t-shirts in those conditions either. My point is that you get the most suitable tool for the job in hand; in this case an SUV or an AWD saloon, not a supercar!

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

nberry:

It's the next big thing. You said the same for SUVs.. It's true 99.9999% do NOT need one.

I drove my ford focus off-road, up snow covered mountains. It's not necessity, it's trendy.

This FF is a new trend, people want more usability, not because it's needed, but because it's nice to have.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

+1

that's what makes the porsche turbo such a great and complete package. supercar performance with absolute daily useability and docility.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I wonder if all this alleged usability of the FF will increase the average mileage driven, above the miniscule numbers that are usual for Ferrari

--

"Form follows function"

REALZEUS:

Of course Ferrari will never do that. Their AWD system is targeted at the GT market. AWD is a disadvantage in fair weather and good pavement.

Except for a select few area on Earth, foul weather time is a given for certain times in the year.

With awd, Ferrari clients can enjoy their cars whenever their heart fancy driving them, sunny, rain, snow, etc. Right now, they can't, unless you count sitting in the garage alone with the car is 'enjoying' when it's raining or snowing outside.

Also, even in good pavement, awd have the traction advantage, why do you think racing sanctioning body outlaw awd?

nberry:

Exactly- with all the gravel,salt ,crap that gets thrown up the side of the car - essentially sandblasting its paint as well as OTHER drivers slipping and sliding all around you - don't understand the attraction for putting it ( or any > $200K car)  out in those conditions .

OTOH, optimizing all available power for accelerative  traction out of corners on dry/wet roads is for another discussion.

Whoopsy:
    REALZEUS:

Except for a select few area on Earth, foul weather time is a given for certain times in the year.

With awd, Ferrari clients can enjoy their cars whenever their heart fancy driving them, sunny, rain, snow, etc. Right now, they can't, unless you count sitting in the garage alone with the car is 'enjoying' when it's raining or snowing outside.

Also, even in good pavement, awd have the traction advantage, why do you think racing sanctioning body outlaw awd?

It is a given that AWD is a major disadvantage in track driving. Even models offered as AWD (911TT) revert to RWD for their trackday specials (point in case GT3, GT2). The same stands on good roads for obvious reasons (mainly the bulk, weight and frictional losses of AWD). 

As for Ferraris, they are not meant as a round the year daily drivers, rather as special machines for that special road. Treating them differently is failing to see their raison d' etre.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

As for Ferraris, they are not meant as a round the year daily drivers, rather as special machines for that special road. Treating them differently is failing to see their raison d' etre.

Seems like Ferrari disagrees with you otherwise this car could wouldn't have been created. They said they were listening to their customers. Smiley

According to Ferrari, this line of thinking is limited only to their GT cars. Their sportscars are a totally different story.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I you buy that then I have a bridge to sell you.Smiley

After owning a Ferrari for over 10 years, I can assure you that the last thing you want to do is take it out in snow, ice or any inclement weather. Ferrari's are show pieces and not meant for daily driving. They are designed to be driven occasionally.

An AWD drive every day FERRARI is a contradiction in terms though Ferrari would like you to think otherwise. 

--

REALZEUS:

According to Ferrari, this line of thinking is limited only to their GT cars. Their sportscars are a totally different story.

But they make only one sportscar,the rest of the range are GTs

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    REALZEUS:

The 599 and the 458 are classified by Ferrari as sports cars. The California and the FF are their GTs. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

nberry:
    Ferrari's are show pieces and not meant for daily driving. They are designed to be driven occasionally.

An AWD drive every day FERRARI is a contradiction in terms though Ferrari would like you to think otherwise. 

Out of their current range only the Italia and the GTO fall in the occasional use category. The rest are theoretically cars that are meant to be driven regularly. Whether they are fir or not for that purpose, we don't know because owners are afraid to  use them, unfortunately Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

REALZEUS:
    reginos:
    REALZEUS:

The 599 and the 458 are classified by Ferrari as sports cars. The California and the FF are their GTs. 

The GTO is a sports car. The 599GTB is a true gran turismo, for covering long distances at serious speed. Perhaps it's classified as a sports car because of its 2 seats.

--

"Form follows function"

Truth be told I have not driven the 599 but I have been given a ride in it. It feels like a right and proper supersports cars, so much so as the 430 I drove before that ride! Its poise, road holding and sheer pace are unbelievable!!! I would never call the 599 a GT; it's a real supercar!!! The GTO on the other hand is a race car for the road.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

nberry:

I you buy that then I have a bridge to sell you.Smiley

After owning a Ferrari for over 10 years, I can assure you that the last thing you want to do is take it out in snow, ice or any inclement weather. Ferrari's are show pieces and not meant for daily driving. They are designed to be driven occasionally.

To quote Bob Dylan: "the times, they are a changin'" Smiley

Anyway, I thought Enzo said his cars were meant to be driven?

REALZEUS:

Truth be told I have not driven the 599 but I have been given a ride in it. It feels like a right and proper supersports cars, as much so as the 430 I drove before that ride! Its poise, road holding and sheer pace are unbelievable!!! I would never call the 599 a GT; it's a real supercar!!! The GTO on the other hand is a race car for the road.

I rode in a 599 once and it felt that it could make the trip from say  London to South of France in a day without any  fatique. If this isn't gran turismo, what is? The fact that the 599 is also very sportcarlike is an added benefit.

--

"Form follows function"

A sportscar doesn't need to be tiring! Also, bear in mind that the 599 has 5 different settings on the manettino and it's behaviour and manners change accordingly. In the Race setting it's a proper supercar. On lower settings it gets more comfortable but this added comfort is the bonus and not the other way around. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I'm just waiting for some lunatic to fall in love with the FF and create an online blog for his MM FF (Most Miles FF) As in i want to see someone do 200,000+ miles in one in a couple of years. Would show it's true build quality

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Atzporsche:

I'm just waiting for some lunatic to fall in love with the FF and create an online blog for his MM FF (Most Miles FF) As in i want to see someone do 200,000+ miles in one in a couple of years. Would show it's true build quality

Not gonna happen - how does one  put 200,000 miles on one vehicle when one  owns perhaps 10 -20  non -collector cars scattered over many homes around the world as well as the typical buyer of this niche vehicle  probably the type of owner who flips for the latest version each year ?

Nick,

You're out of touch saying that a Ferrari can only be used as an occassional toy. I know of two guys here in the UK who have piled on the miles on 360's. One has now done around 90,000 miles on his Modena and says nothing major has gone wrong with it. He intends to continue to drive it daily and keep adding the miles. The other owner has a spider which he uses for his business of organised European road trips where he acts as lead car. His car has even featured in a few magazine articles and again has suffered no major faults.

The newer cars are certainly better built than the 360 and are very capable of handling higher usage. It's only the owners and the fear of heavy depreciation that stops this from happening. There's a Cali owner in Ohio who posts on Fchat who has covered over 20,000 virtually trouble free miles in 16 months and who drives his car in the snow with Pirelli winter tyes on it

REALZEUS:

It is a given that AWD is a major disadvantage in track driving. Even models offered as AWD (911TT) revert to RWD for their trackday specials (point in case GT3, GT2). The same stands on good roads for obvious reasons (mainly the bulk, weight and frictional losses of AWD). 

One of the most incorrect statement in the world.

While you are at it, care to explain the GTR then?

It's is the way Porsche tuned the 997TT for road use that makes it less than ideal on the track. Properly tuned, there is no contest for rwd car, they simply cannot put the power down coming out of turns like an awd can, which is the single reason racing bans awd, too much advantage.

GT3 was born out of the Porsche racing program, since there is no awd in racing, it's natural to gives the GT3 a rwd for the connection to the race versions.

GT2 has always been rwd, that's the special trait, has nothing to do with rwd or awd being the superior form.

The weight myth is pretty much busted, very early on awd does carry a heavy weight penalty, nowadays a awd system doesn't add that much more weight but the performance increase far out weight the little weight penalty.

Ferrari are not meant for all year driving simply because they are quite un-drivable in anything but sunny days. Then there is the depreciation factor, most owners simply cannot drive their Ferrari at all for fear of depreciation, that makes their day with the Ferrari 'special'.

A lot of use thinks the Porsche Turbo as special too, maybe same level as Ferrari owners, but there is one main difference, we can pick ANY day, be it sunny, rain, snow to be a 'special' day, simply because our cars are more capable. Because of the added awd capability, a lot of us are using it as a daily driver too all year so we can enjoy our car ANY time of the year.

+ a Porsche is still more reliable and solid than a Ferrari.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    692070 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410518 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256347 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235603 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65924 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4764 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

859063 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775608 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM