Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ordered new sportscar

I guess, Mclaren does not have a dealer/service in Crotia.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:

Congrats Kreso.

BUT, as Iain suggests, I also think that LP550-2 is sportier, faster and more raw than R8 V10 therefore a better choice if you will also get a 991 Carrera S PDK.

One car: R8 V10.

Two cars: LP550-2 and 991 Carrera S PDK.

Onur,

That's exactly the rationale I was using Smiley

GT:

Kreso how come MP4 is not on your list? In terms of comfort its probably the most comfortable of all of them by some margin, performance as well. But its is not manual obviously and not as stealth looking with the gull wing doors etc.

You did not consider that one?

Oh, I was thinking very hard about MP4-12C and 458 Italia. I rulled out both. Why?

McLaren nearest dealer is(or will be becuase it is still NOT appointed) Munich, Germany. About 600km from my location. Also, I think that MP4-12C need to prove itself...

Ferrari 458 Italia... Dealer/service department is in Ljubljana, Slovenia. About 180km from my location. BUT, I got strange allocation changes twice and then I decide that I will not order it. Regrets? Hmm... No.

BUT, I will probably get an SLS AMG Coupe also.

KresoF1:BUT, I will probably get an SLS AMG Coupe also.

Wow, it is christmas time Smiley

R8 V10 - SLS - 991 Carrera S PDK.

It would be a very very nice garage Kreso SmileySmiley Congrats Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Pentium:

No Enmanuel, it is not. But the gear changes are brutal and I like it even knowing that the DCT/PDK/DSG gearboxes are more efficient than my old version of F1.

Also I did some test drives with a R8 manual and I was talking about how nice the feel of changing gears on that car is.

The 430 Scud is a keeper, no doubt about it. Smiley

I don't really care about manual or DCT/PDK/whatever as long as it is fun to be fast.

There aren't many cars which can be called "keepers" but the 430 Scuderia is definitely one of them. Same with the latest Porsche GT3 RS or the Mercedes SLS. Some cars are special by definition, can't say why but they are.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Huh...

Decision has been changed. SLS AMG coupe it will be. Hopefully somewhere in July I will post lots of pics and drive impression.

KresoF1:

Huh...

Decision has been changed. SLS AMG coupe it will be. Hopefully somewhere in July I will post lots of pics and drive impression.

Much better choice Smiley

What color did you chose??

koko:
    KresoF1:

Huh...

Much better choice Smiley

What color did you chose??

AMG Imola Grey Metallic L-756

Interior Exclusive Designo leather Black P-501

Options:

Exterior/interior mirrors auto dim 249

AMG RIDE CONTROL adaptive sport suspension 479

AMG 5 spoke wheels

Command APS with 6x DVD changer

Smiley        Smiley

I wonder IF you are going to change your mind again soon :) It's only been a little more than a month since you last decided on the R8, haha.

But nice choice, the SLS is growing on me too.

Great choice . I like the SLS very much 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Kreso, sadly I must question your decision to switch. The R8V10 is a fabulous car and anyone that is driven it have fallen in love with it. It is the more sporty version of the AM. 

It has beauty, sensuous sound and top draw performance. 

The SLS has its good points but does not have the road presence of the R8. My wife and I were behind one the other day and she thought it was the BMW z4 and I corrected her to Z8.

What caused you to change your mind?

--

@Kreso: I have been wondering too, to learn your decision making points. Could you share them with us?

Personally, I would exclude the R8 if I wanted a good non-manual transmission. Outside of that, what else influenced your choice?

--

"Form follows function"

good choice.....as a whole, it's one of the most appealing offerings out there. and the doors make it unique while still being a practical daily car.

you should definitely go with extended carbon interior.

hopefully i will manage to clear mine soon. it's been quite a wait now.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

nberry:

The SLS has its good points but does not have the road presence of the R8. My wife and I were behind one the other day and she thought it was the BMW z4 and I corrected her to Z8.

Wifes , wifes Smiley, mine saw a R8 and thought it was the new Audi TT.

Kreso, great choice, the SLS is special car indeed, much more than the pseudo Gallardo R8  SmileySmiley

J.Seven

@Kreso, any idea if there's an SLS Black Series in the pipeline? If so, would you not consider waiting to see if it's any good/better?

kreso, no doubt the sls is a special car, daily usability is ok, but as a driving experience, i was IMO very disappointed, felt like an american muscle car, and i personally felt it has a straight liner chassis. just my 0.02

--

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia 

2009 Fiat 500 Abarth SS Ferrari 

reginos:

@Kreso: I have been wondering too, to learn your decision making points. Could you share them with us?

Personally, I would exclude the R8 if I wanted a good non-manual transmission. Outside of that, what else influenced your choice?

1. R8 end price-rebate was not what I was expected. 2. I drove one lately and to tell you the truth I was not impressed as before. Why? Maybe the fact that I drove SLS on the same day influenced my end decision? Pretty much. DCT in SLS(despite not brilliant manual mode) made SLS that much faster in real that I was shocked. Also, traction... SLS offers amazing traction for RWD car. Last thing is driving style to get the most from it. SLS needs firm hand and likes relaxed approach to fast driving. You need tzo steer it nicelly-not agressivly-I liked that fact very much. Most importantly-my wife felt much safer in SLS then in either R8 V10 or 997.2 Turbo. Hmm...

That is pretty much it. Oh, SLS engine is one of the best engines that I ever drove.

dhayek:

kreso, no doubt the sls is a special car, daily usability is ok, but as a driving experience, i was IMO very disappointed, felt like an american muscle car, and i personally felt it has a straight liner chassis. just my 0.02

Dimitri,

SLS is 4s faster on the Ring then 997.2 Turbo S when HvS is on the wheel(and when you exam the data you will seee that speed is build in corners, not in straight line-that is talking against you theory about stright liner). Also, much faster on wet handling track according to the same Sport Auto. I can confirm that SLS offers much better traction then either R8 V10 or 997.2 Turbo. That was huge supriese for me. Actually, I do not agree with you at all-in my book SLS is at top of sportscar currently available on the market.

KresoF1:
    reginos:

1. R8 end price-rebate was not what I was expected. 2. I drove one lately and to tell you the truth I was not impressed as before. Why? Maybe the fact that I drove SLS on the same day influenced my end decision? Pretty much. DCT in SLS(despite not brilliant manual mode) made SLS that much faster in real that I was shocked. Also, traction... SLS offers amazing traction for RWD car. Last thing is driving style to get the most from it. SLS needs firm hand and likes relaxed approach to fast driving. You need tzo steer it nicelly-not agressivly-I liked that fact very much. Most importantly-my wife felt much safer in SLS then in either R8 V10 or 997.2 Turbo. Hmm...

That is pretty much it. Oh, SLS engine is one of the best engines that I ever drove.

Thank you for comments. It's good to hear from someone who knows!

Your wife felt safer in the SLS, because it feels more GT as a passenger?

Could you also elaborate a bit more on the SLS driving style, "firm hand, relaxed approach", please?

--

"Form follows function"

Regarding my wife answer is yes since she told me that she liked interior feel in SLS a la GT more then in rear engine sportscars. Somehow engine in front feels more natural to her...

Firm hand, relaxed approach... SLS likes to driven fast with firm hand but, without sudden steering wheel corrections. It is sportscar that likes more Jenson Button or Alain Prost driving style then Lewis Hamilton's for example(figurative speach of course). When your driving style is relaxed and confident you are very, very fast in SLS. End point is that despite RWD it is not drifters car. Traction is awsome for RWD. Its ESP is programmed so well that driving in OFF mode is only for track or totally empty mountain road. Also, DCTs Sport and Sport + auto modes works so well indeed. But, I am looking forward to see improved M(manual) mode for MY12 cars.

Thanks, very clear now.

Awesome traction is apparently created by the rear transaxle arrangement of the SLS, that puts more weight on the driven wheels than a normal front engined RWD car.

--

"Form follows function"

Kreso, you know your stuff so I will not argue with you regarding the merits of the two cars. More importantly, at least to me, is your wife enjoyed the SLS more. Enough said.

--

i fully understand what you mean with soft hand.....the gt2 is exactly that way too. grip it hard and it want to throw you off. go fluid and it's magic.

hopefully my sls will be here soon and i will report my findings.....i had not even test-driven one ! not even sat in one !

its really a pain having to wait this long...

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

When I rode with Hurley Haywood as he raced Dave Murrey at Road Atlanta both in Porsche's, Hurley drove with only his finger tips on the steering wheel. You could see how smooth it was and how he felt the car through his finger tips.

BTW, I still have difficulty understanding how a RWD vehicle has better traction than a AWD.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761638 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434935 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260259 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257380 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80869 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871740 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807074 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM