Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I recently fell in love...

J.Seven:

911 range is lacking soul, that´s why people are changing for other brands.  

On the contrary, I actually think that the 911 is one of the last true sports cars with a soul.

The 911 is not perfect but Porsche made huge progress and it is amazing how they actually transferred such an old concept to the 21st century.

Radically changing the 911 would be a huge risk for Porsche. The 911 is actually the soul of the entire Porsche brand. Even if the Cayenne sells better, I doubt they would sell half the cars without a 911 in the model range. This is about heritage.

Porsche could easily build a 911 with 600 horses and 1300 kg of weight only. No problem. Would you pay 300000 EUR for such a car? Smiley

So far, you can get a 911 under 90000 EUR, take the 997 Carrera Black Edition for example. I know you can get a Nissan GT-R for the same money but then, compare the 90000 EUR 997 Carrera with the Aston Martin Vantage S for example. Performance is comparable. Huge price difference.

Those who get bored of the 911 simply didn't upgrade in time. I know this sounds weird but it is true. When I get bored of my 911, I just get a different model. It keeps up the fun. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Adam2S:
    John H:

Christian - if conjecture is correct and you're agonising over an AM or a GTS, then I have this to offer.

If sound is everything, take the AM every time.

If all round performance, simplicity of design, model exclusivity, reliability and every day usage is important... then take the GTS.

Having owned two 997 C2S's (gen1 and gen2) and two Vantage's (a V8 and now a V12) I can say that the Astons have been every bit as reliable, and more practical day to day to use as the boot is quite a bit bigger on a Vantage than a C2S; and as desireable as a GTS is, the V8S is definately significantly more exclusive.  I have seen several GTS's in the city and the dealership had loads of them (at least 8 for sale!) when I visited a couple of weeks ago (the same day as I test drove the V8S).  I have to date only seen 2 V8S's, the one I drove and another in the dealer for sale. Porsche make more 911's than Aston make across all models.

Adam - I didn't mean to upset you as an AM owner, but one must speak as one finds.  You must be one of the lucky ones!  I have several friends who have owned AM's over the years and there is no doubt that, when it comes to looks and sound, these cars are as good as it gets.  Unfortunately, reliability was a major problem for each owner and I mean a real problem with multiple breakdowns.  So much so that not one of them will consider a repeat purchase.  I'm just really glad that you're not experiencing the same.Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Those who get bored of the 911 simply didn't upgrade in time. I know this sounds weird but it is true. When I get bored of my 911, I just get a different model. It keeps up the fun. Smiley

RC - totally agree and in my case for example it had to be raw - going away from heated seats , automatic, all the bells and whistles you have in yr daily luxury car anyway does not need to be replicated in a car that you simply injoy for driving.

below my new love....

DSC_3711.JPG

Congrats Bjoern! You can't just post one image if you have a new vehicle. That's just criminal      997.2 GT3 RS?

ok ok - here you go.....but in return where are the new garage pictures ?  

DSC_3742.JPG

DSC_3736.JPG

Awesome RS BjoernB, are you planning to take it on track?

Congrats!

Amazing Bjoern! 

lovely car....and love the rennteam logo on the sides

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

BjoernB:

RC - totally agree and in my case for example it had to be raw - going away from heated seats , automatic, all the bells and whistles you have in yr daily luxury car anyway does not need to be replicated in a car that you simply injoy for driving.

below my new love....

Many congrats, Bjoern - perfect decision, awesome car Smiley

And I'm sure you know how to cure the pain from the speedlimit and total lack of race tracks in Switzerland - the big "Kanton" in the north offers the appropriate medication Smiley

Just yesterday I had a blast there with this Baby Smiley Dot_IMG_3532.jpg

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

...anything else, you would like to tell us ?????? Smiley ...perhaps, you would need to change your avatar or something ... ???Smiley

d997h:

...anything else, you would like to tell us ?????? Smiley ...perhaps, you would need to change your avatar or something ... ???Smiley

Hahaha, unfortunately not Smiley The RS belongs a friend and we did a back to back test of both - our cars and our driving styles/lines. Extremely entertaining and interesting in both aspects - on track impressions and "debriefing" chat Smiley

Probably I'll pick up one of those RS when here at RT there will be as "much" traffic in the 997 board as it is today in the 996 board Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

insane beast Bjoern !!!!!!

many congrats !!! The perfect piece !!!

--

BjoernB:

ok ok - here you go.....but in return where are the new garage pictures ?  

DSC_3742.JPG

DSC_3736.JPG

Beautiful! I will certainly do so, but it needs to be completed first Smiley

This is one of the last beasts, congrats.

J.Seven

Porsche-Jeck:

Just yesterday I had a blast there with this Baby Smiley Dot_IMG_3532.jpg

Action pics SmileyamazingSmiley

If you have more of those, please post it, but maybe on a different theard for obvious reasons Smiley

J.Seven

Many thanks to all for the kind words.....I haven't had the time yet to drive her much but needless to say that I am blown away already by her body,look,style,hips,wings etc.... Thanks also to this wonderful forum with it's input I made my choice for a RS !

This thread about the V8S may be kind of done and dusted. But I would like to add some comments after my local dealer gave me an AM V8S to have this afternoon and overnight. 

My first impressions were not super favourable as the transmission is not smooth unless you back off quite a bit on the upshifts. I had a very slow drive home in late afternoon traffic. At crawling speeds up to 30 kmh and back to zero, the transmission makes all kinds of busy noises and clunks. A bit disconcerting to hear all that mechanical activity that I had no control over. 

At the first traffic lights I stopped at, a little girl, maybe five years old, in the car next to me looked over with wide eyes, opened her window and asked very sweetly: "Excuse me, is that a real sports car?" I haven't had anyone comment on my C4S like that. I guess it would be more impressive if she had been 25 rather than 5.... 

I next collected my teenage son from sport and had a moment much like Christian at the start of this thread: we found some open road, sport mode on, paddle shift down to 2nd, nailed the throttle and, OMG!!!,  the best sound I have heard from any car. Neither of us could stop laughing.

The transmission so much better when driven hard, although the only way to really enjoy the car is to use the paddles. and the car felt surprisingly nimble. I had a bit more time tonight and found some good bits of road without traffic and some good bends, not easy in the city  where I live. The car really is a lot of fun when driven hard, effortlessly runs to the limit. It is has excellent balance. But the sound is what keeps making you want to push hard - much better than in Steve Sutcliffe's video. 

I should go to bed but I will maybe take one more drive tonight. I feel like I am being unfaithful to my C4S..... 

Thanks for sharing your experience sevoman  The exhilarating sound and dazzling looks are IMO why people are tempted to go for an AMV8. I wouldn't concern myself with what a 5 year old thinks though ...

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Smiley   Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Yes the V8S is very tempting. But the upshift hesitation is a bit of a pain unless you either constantly lift off the throttle during ordinary driving or drive the car really hard. So less impressive as a daily drive but great for a weekend thrash. The dual clutch transmissions are so much better but AM chosse not to go that route because of weight saving

sevoman:
    Yes the V8S is very tempting. But the upshift hesitation is a bit of a pain unless you either constantly lift off the throttle during ordinary driving or drive the car really hard. So less impressive as a daily drive but great for a weekend thrash. The dual clutch transmissions are so much better but AM chosse not to go that route because of weight saving

I think dual -v- single clutch debate feel is a very personal thing. When driven fast and hard both system are stunningly quick and I would admit that dual clutch is going to be quickest but lets face it we hardly ever drive our cars that hard, far more often we end up driving at normal speeds between traffic lights. I ended up selling my C2S PDK because I just couldnt get on with the way PDK slipped gears super smoothly (with that torque convertor feel) like an automatic when driving around town. Yes the AM system is a little more clunky when changing gears (like BMW's SMGII) system but critically, for me, it retained the feel of driving a manual and kept me smiling at all times. I loved it :)

Aside from gearbox issues the AM still makes me feel a million $$$ evertime I get in it!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775301 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440654 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262214 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260437 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84891 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879697 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814586 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM