Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I recently fell in love...

Pentium:

It's a great car RC but here is a hint: you can find a low mileage Scuderia for less money and the sound and handling is better Smiley

I love the Vantage too but in the end I didn't got one; two times there was another car that appealed more to me.

I'm not sure you can actually compare the F430 Scuderia to the AM Vantage S Roadster.

Two different beasts.

A Ferrari is a no-go for me since it is way too flashy. In Germany, a Ferrari always had the scent of a super rich owner...or a pimp. Not really the right car for me and my neighborhood. I think even a Lamborghini would be easier to "justify", as sad as this may sound.

I agree, the F430 Scuderia is an amazing car, I doubt however that you can get one in good shape over here in Germany for or under 150000 EUR. Maintenance is also a bitch over here, official dealers are very expensive and freelance...well...not really trustable.

As to the exhaust/engine sound: I like the screaming of the Ferrari engines but to be honest, the Vantage S sound is much better. I love that typical V8 muscle car racing sound, deep and powerful and loud and the Vantage S delivers it in an absolutely perfect manner. It is interesting that my 7-year old son, who actually fell in love with the Maserati GT MC Stradale("a real race car, daddy..." Smiley), was overwhelmed with the Vantage S and the only thing which came out of his mouth was: "Kaufen, kaufen, bitte, kaufen". Translation: What the heck are you waiting for, daddy...get it." Smiley

Unfortunately my wife wants a 4-seater but until her M3 Cab lease runs out(next year), there still is time. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I was comparing the sound and the handling only. I agree with you completely. Where you live the Vantage is better.

150K for a Scuderia? No way. I wish Smiley I was trying to sell it for 140K including VAT and I couldn't Smiley

And mine has only 8500km... Well... perhaps is better to keep it... If I would be wealthier, I would...

BTW: I would exchange it for a 140K 991 Carrera S Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

@RC, could you pleeeeeeease finally decide on whether or not we need to open an

"RC's new 997 GTS-thread" OR an"RC's new AM Vantage-thread" ?

Yeah, the exhaust of the AM is nice and the engine great, bla, bla bla ...  I don't know whether I can further work under these terms and conditions here....  ... have you ever heard of something like "social forum responsibility" ..??..   ...

(..once in a while, I browse through the AM dealer's website here near Frankfurt, BUT could still resist to turn to the dark side of the force...)

Like Henry Miller once said:

Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not yet understood

OK? 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

yes, my master...

I try to make it simple for you: A two seater is a no-go since my wife would kill me instantly.  

--

2x 2 seaters = 1x 4 seater.

Whoopsy:

2x 2 seaters = 1x 4 seater.

Not possible. We can't "afford" to have a two seater because of the kids. Me and my wife always need to be able to pick up the kids when we drive our car(s), so we need at least three seats. Smiley

I already crossed the GT3 RS from my wish list because of that, now I'm not going to start to put the Vantage S on it. Wife says no, case closed I'm afraid. Smiley

--

Just stuff one in the trunk........................

Or go find a McLaren F1, PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I know what you mean, either parent picking up 2 kids on short notice.

That's why 911s, not counting the GT3/RS, are so damn attractive, they are just perfect.

RC:

The Vantage S Roadster I drove is 158000 EUR, the Coupe is 145000 EUR as far as I remember. This is a lot of money, I agree but the sound of this car is...oh boy...forget about the M3(sorry, no offense meant). It is unbelievable how something like that is street legal. 

Christian,

Of course I'm not offended. I'm not "M3 lunatic" evenif I like my car very much. I just find the M3 perfect car "for its price". There is no competition at its price range, except C63 AMG for some. At more than double the price of an M3, AM V-S should be pretty good. However, I would prefer R8 V10 at this price range. LP550-2 is another good choice for "me". I just crossed out the Scuderia from the list since it is more "flashy" and more costly.

Have you driven an R8 V10? I'm curious how you rate it against AM V-S.

BTW, I have driven R8 V8, only, but can imagine how it can be even better with a V10.

However, I, too, really like the style of Aston Martin Vantage series. The design of the car is beautiful and sexy. I just find it very "gentleman's car" and its market in Turkey is too weak.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

KF:
    Hey Conny, i am still on air...

Sorry, Florian. I haven't recently perceived you consciously .Smiley

Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

I have recently testdriven a V8 Vantage Roadster N420 and I found the SportShift system a bit brutal to my taste Smiley, unless you really lift off during upshift. Maybe it is because I prefer manual and tend to shift slow when I can (i.e. when I am not chasing / being chased) to maintain some comfort (especially for the passenger). Last time I drove a PDK (when it first came out), it seemed to be much smoother, not?

Does someone know whether the settings are different for the N420?

I must agree with Christian on the sound SmileySmileySmiley

N420 is suppose to be the track/sportier version over the regular Vantages, maybe that's the reason for crispier shifts as AM tuned them more hardcore?

pride355:

Have you driven an R8 V10? I'm curious how you rate it against AM V-S.

BTW, I have driven R8 V8, only, but can imagine how it can be even better with a V10.

However, I, too, really like the style of Aston Martin Vantage series. The design of the car is beautiful and sexy. I just find it very "gentleman's car" and its market in Turkey is too weak.

Onur, you must be kidding? R8 V10 is IMHO absolutely better sportscar then AM V-S in any objective or subjective criteria. Even current R8 V8 is better then AM V-S.

Personally, I like AM design but, I would never buy it.

i am too attracted by AM designs. but the technological side of them leaves me omewhat cold. even though it really does have one of the best sounds out there.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Porsche_lover:

I have recently testdriven a V8 Vantage Roadster N420 and I found the SportShift system a bit brutal to my taste Smiley, unless you really lift off during upshift. Maybe it is because I prefer manual and tend to shift slow when I can (i.e. when I am not chasing / being chased) to maintain some comfort (especially for the passenger). Last time I drove a PDK (when it first came out), it seemed to be much smoother, not?

Does someone know whether the settings are different for the N420?

The Sportshift in the V8 N420 is the old system, whereas the V8S has an all new 7 speed system built specifically for Aston Martin by Graziano.

Comparing the 1st generation sportshift system in a N420 to the sportshift II system in the V8S is like comparing Tiptronic to PDK.

I came away from my V8S test drive being very impressed indeed with Sportshift II and I actually think it is a lot better than PDK because it still feels like driving a manual when pootling around town unlike PDK which feels like an auto). It is certainly a lot better than Sportshift I.

KresoF1:

Onur, you must be kidding? R8 V10 is IMHO absolutely better sportscar then AM V-S in any objective or subjective criteria. Even current R8 V8 is better then AM V-S.

Kreso,

You must misunderstand me. I prefer R8 V10 over any AM because it is a better sports car and IMO, more reliable. "For me", R8 V10 is the best next thing after 458. Only problem with the car is that its de-tune engine because of LP-560. The rest is marvelous.

On the other hand, I find R8 V8 little under powered. That engine should be at least 450-460 hp to justify its price.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

KresoF1:

Yes...with the exception of the exhaust/engine sound. So far, in my opinion, only the Vantage V12 can beat the Vantage S regarding engine/exhaust sound. The R8 V10 sounds very nice too but the Vantage S sounds a tiny bit louder and deeper.

The funny part is: Nobody actually would think that the Vantage S Roadster actually produces that kind of amazing sound. The car itself looks pretty conservative and non-spectacular and this is why the sound surprises many people.

For under 120000 EUR, the Vantage S Roadster would be a steal but almost 160000 EUR? Ouch.

--

KresoF1:

I think you must be kidding... I love the Audi R8 but in terms of looks, sound and pure "make you feel good" factor the V8S (in fact all AM's) has it licked.

Track performance aside (and the V8S is still very good here), at the end of the day, the R8 is just an Audi with and Audi interior and is totally outclassed in this price bracket by Aston Martin or Porsche for that matter.  Audi is a £20k-£50k price bracket car, Porsche and Astons are £100k cars.

Everybody, but everybody comes over to you to say how beautiful the Aston is, young or old, male and female. In the 18mths I have owned Astons I have recieved more positive comments and entered into long conversations with complete strangers about the car than all the other cars I have owned put together (and thats 26 cars I think now)...

RC : Aston must be charging more for their cars in europe then than they are in the UK.  Over here the Vantage S Roadster is around £110,000 which is 124,000 EUR at todays exchange rate, which coincidentally was also about the same price as you could pick up a brand new V12 Vantage last year for if you haggled hard enough.  Here in the UK the V8S Roadster is now about the same price as a 997 Turbo Coupe, and around £10,000 cheaper than a 997 Turbo Cab.

Interesting RC. The Vantage S must be a lot better than the Standard Vantage. I say this because in the 2 years I owned the V8 Vantage, I always regretted getting rid of my 997 for it. Mine you, I do like the V12V very much. But I like my 997.2 GT3 better so I won't be buying one in a hurry.

Sorry, forgot to add a photo to the story. 

am1.jpg

--

I never thought I'd see the day Christian would be raving over an Aston Martin!

Glad you enjoyed the experience so much. They are very different cars and still have that very hand built feel to them. A little rough around some of the edges IMO, but I guess that's part of the character of the car.

I still grin every time I start up the V12V and being one of three in my country, it's quite exclusive too 

Mike S:

Same here, Mike. Smiley

If I could afford several sports cars, like you do, the Vantage V12 or at least the Vantage V8 S Roadster would be among them, no doubt about it. Smiley

My son had that grin on his face, I'll never forget it.

--

Christian - if conjecture is correct and you're agonising over an AM or a GTS, then I have this to offer.

If sound is everything, take the AM every time.

If all round performance, simplicity of design, model exclusivity, reliability and every day usage is important... then take the GTS.

There is no way you will be disappointed, but hurry... supply is drying up!  I have a friend who, having driven with me, tried to order one without success!

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:

Christian - if conjecture is correct and you're agonising over an AM or a GTS, then I have this to offer.

If sound is everything, take the AM every time.

If all round performance, simplicity of design, model exclusivity, reliability and every day usage is important... then take the GTS.

Having owned two 997 C2S's (gen1 and gen2) and two Vantage's (a V8 and now a V12) I can say that the Astons have been every bit as reliable, and more practical day to day to use as the boot is quite a bit bigger on a Vantage than a C2S; and as desireable as a GTS is, the V8S is definately significantly more exclusive.  I have seen several GTS's in the city and the dealership had loads of them (at least 8 for sale!) when I visited a couple of weeks ago (the same day as I test drove the V8S).  I have to date only seen 2 V8S's, the one I drove and another in the dealer for sale. Porsche make more 911's than Aston make across all models.

Mike S:

Me neither, still puzzled by this thread... Smiley

911 range is lacking soul, that´s why people are changing for other brands. Not only handling and feel but looks and sound makes part of the cocktail. The new 911 should be much more radical regarding sound with a much lower stance, way faster and wider than 997. It should enter on the exotic world, because Porsche has now the Boxster, Cayman, Panamera and Cayenne to be pratical, they should put the 911 in another new scale. Engines from + 450hp to start with and weight under 1300Kg.

Enought of pratical sports car poetry, we habe already feel, but we want sound, looks and soul from the 911. A seven year old Gallardo makes the 997 look like a WV Beetle and sound like a ...well, a Beetle too.

J.Seven

Sshhh! You are not supposed to say things like that around here.stirthepot.gif

J.Seven:

911 range is lacking soul, that´s why people are changing for other brands. Not only handling and feel but looks and sound makes part of the cocktail. The new 911 should be much more radical regarding sound with a much lower stance, way faster and wider than 997. It should enter on the exotic world, because Porsche has now the Boxster, Cayman, Panamera and Cayenne to be pratical, they should put the 911 in another new scale. Engines from + 450hp to start with and weight under 1300Kg.

Enought of pratical sports car poetry, we habe already feel, but we want sound, looks and soul from the 911. A seven year old Gallardo makes the 997 look like a WV Beetle and sound like a ...well, a Beetle too.

J.Seven

I don't agree with you. The 911 should stay in concept as it is and as it has been since its beginning. Understated and practical but with superb real world performance and a joy to drive. Understated looks in a 911 sell a lot, because not every buyer wants to be the centre of attention and to have his car surrounded by widemouthed kids and curious bystanders in petrol stations, traffic lights and car parks. The 911 has its individuality in design but OTOH the look blends perfectly in the automotive landscape everywhere in the world.

If Porsche's business plan justifies an exotic with dramatic extravagant looks and lots of noise in order to compete against that type of cars, they should add a new model above the 911 range. But never tamper with a winning formula. Selling 20.000 units year in year out since the late 90s is a great business achievement.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
     The 911 should stay in concept as it is and as it has been since its beginning. Understated and practical but with superb real world performance and a joy to drive. Understated looks in a 911 sell a lot, because not every buyer wants to be the centre of attention and to have his car surrounded by widemouthed kids and curious bystanders in petrol stations, traffic lights and car parks. The 911 has its individuality in design but OTOH the look blends perfectly in the automotive landscape everywhere in the world.

100% agree SmileySmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761353 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434735 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260165 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257327 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80834 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5314 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871606 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806868 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM