Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I recently fell in love...

Aston Martin Vantage S Roadster.

Drove one over the weekend and just loved it, my 7-year old son also loved it.

Amazing car, the exhaust/engine sound is pure aural sex(forget Ferrari with the high pitch screaming sound, the AM sounds like a really loud V8 muscle car racing engine) and the suspension/steering feels very Porsche-like, stiff and direct. 

Even compared to the Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale, the Vantage S Roadster drives/feels sportier and the throttle/engine response is also much better. Impressive, Aston Martin has done a marvelous job here. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: I recently fell in love...

From what I've been hearing, people are more enamored with the Vantage then they are the DB9.

I guess the lower weight combined with the DB's engine has a lot to do with it.

easy to fall in love with. i always loved the vantage V8. it just does not do it for me hp wise.

the sound is on of the best out there......except for sls and c63.....yes i am biased now

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

it is a sexy looking car.....

and the V12 Vantage is just ridiculously LOUD.

I had a pro-test drive of the V8 S myself about 2 weeks ago and really really loved it too. The semi-manual gearbox (compulsory on the V8S) is really impressive, fast, smooth and most importantly still involving like a true manual  - I think it might just be the best gearbox yet.  To me however the V12 Vantage however remains king as it is gives even more feedback to the driver, it feels lighter and considerably quicker and houls even louder than the V8S with sport mode on.  The V12V was however only produced as a manual coupe, so for anybody wanting a soft top or semi-manual this makes for a very very good car indeed!

So I wont be trading in my V12V for one quite yet, but as the V12V production run is now effectively finished (all the last 200 of the 1000 built will go to the USA) the V8S might make a tempting option for me in 2-3 years, assuming Im not tempted back to a 991!  :)

Yes, the V12 is even louder...absolutely insane. 

I never really paid attention to Aston Martin but after this testdrive, wow... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

Yes, the V12 is even louder...absolutely insane. 

I never really paid attention to Aston Martin but after this testdrive, wow... 

Hmmm - that's very interesting. I need to do a test drive then, given you very positive summary Smiley

P.S.: Never cared about Aston Martin either, except for when I was a kid - back in the 80s

RC:

Amazing car, the exhaust/engine sound is pure aural sex(forget Ferrari with the high pitch screaming sound, the AM sounds like a really loud V8 muscle car racing engine) and the suspension/steering feels very Porsche-like, stiff and direct. 

Even compared to the Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale, the Vantage S Roadster drives/feels sportier and the throttle/engine response is also much better. Impressive, Aston Martin has done a marvelous job here. 

And the price of the car is ??

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:
    RC:

And the price of the car is ??

The Vantage S Roadster I drove is 158000 EUR, the Coupe is 145000 EUR as far as I remember. This is a lot of money, I agree but the sound of this car is...oh boy...forget about the M3(sorry, no offense meant). It is unbelievable how something like that is street legal. 

--

Christian

How did the power and performance feel compared to other recent cars you have driven?

Here is a review of the V8S by Steve Sutcliffe for Autocar : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7rj5nLPiCc

HD official video release of the V8S from Aston Martin - good for listening to the exhaust note : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCPbR9O0J44

sevoman:

Christian

How did the power and performance feel compared to other recent cars you have driven?

On the same day, I also drove a Maserati GranTurismo S and a GranTurismo MC Stradale.

The Vantage S Roadster felt much sportier, even sportier than the MC Stradale. Unbelievable. The car was pretty new, only 500 km on the speedo and the engine already felt powerful. Revving was amazingly fast and instant, the engine felt much more powerful than I anticipated, throttle response was extremely direct and the chassis felt like driving a 997 Carrera S with sport chassis. Amazing. I was driving in Sport mode only, just for the book. There were no real traction problems, the ESP came on pretty late, very good setup.

Compared to the Vantage S Roadster, the Maserati GrandTurismo MC Stradale felt like a...Grand Tourer. Big, heavy, engine response not that good compared to the AM, even in Race mode.

The engine/exhaust sound alone of the Vantage S is worth the money, this is a car you use for fun, not necessarily for track racing. If I had the money, I would get the Vantage S Roadster in a heartbeat. I know this is not a car for somebody who is looking for maximum performance numbers and the price tag is steep too but it delivers just the right amount of passion and fun. Highly recommended. Smiley

--

RC:
    sevoman:

Christian

On the same day, I also drove a Maserati GranTurismo S and a GranTurismo MC Stradale.

The Vantage S Roadster felt much sportier, even sportier than the MC Stradale. Unbelievable. The car was pretty new, only 500 km on the speedo and the engine already felt powerful. Revving was amazingly fast and instant, the engine felt much more powerful than I anticipated, throttle response was extremely direct and the chassis felt like driving a 997 Carrera S with sport chassis. Amazing. I was driving in Sport mode only, just for the book. There were no real traction problems, the ESP came on pretty late, very good setup.

Compared to the Vantage S Roadster, the Maserati GrandTurismo MC Stradale felt like a...Grand Tourer. Big, heavy, engine response not that good compared to the AM, even in Race mode.

The engine/exhaust sound alone of the Vantage S is worth the money, this is a car you use for fun, not necessarily for track racing. If I had the money, I would get the Vantage S Roadster in a heartbeat. I know this is not a car for somebody who is looking for maximum performance numbers and the price tag is steep too but it delivers just the right amount of passion and fun. Highly recommended. Smiley

+1 Smiley

RC, that is exactly the problem..

being die hard porsche fans, we have opened up to other marques as well and are very tempted. imo that is not because the competition has caught up. it is because porsche let it slip in important areas.

while there is not a single car that replicates the unique feeling of the 911 (front-end movement and the way it bobs and dances), the others have caught up with more sensory feelings while not driving at 8/10th or above.

sound is a crucial part of the automotive experience.

2 years ago, i would have never thought that i would even consider anything other than a porsche sportscar.

now, i have replaced the 997 turbo with an sls, the cayenne turbo with an x6m and went for a c63 without even considering the panamera....

porsche needs to do something.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

The competition is getting tougher for Porsche, true. This is why the VW merger may not be such a bad idea after all.  

--

You can't fairly compare the GranTurismo to the Vantage which is a much smaller, 2 seat sports car as opposed to a true 4 seat GT car. You need to drive a DB9 back to back with the Turismo for a fairer comparison though the Italian has a smaller engine.

The Vantage is meant to go up against the 911 and is soundly beaten by it IMHO with the exception of the sound (and looks which are subjective).

ISUK:

You can't fairly compare the GranTurismo to the Vantage which is a much smaller, 2 seat sports car as opposed to a true 4 seat GT car. You need to drive a DB9 back to back with the Turismo for a fairer comparison though the Italian has a smaller engine.

The Vantage is meant to go up against the 911 and is soundly beaten by it IMHO with the exception of the sound (and looks which are subjective).

But I think RC is not talking about "beaten" in the sense of performance specs and track times... he is talking about the on-road experience, which is more emotional and feel-based than rational and quantitative.   IMO most of us fall into the trap of putting too much emphasis on reviewers' opinions or track testing, when we should be doing more of what Christian did.... suspend our biases and just go for a drive with an open mind.   Smiley

--

2010 Audi S5,  2009 Porsche 911S

RC:

Sounds like you have had a small visit to a former (or existing) RT member in the Allgäu.Smiley
    The AM V-S is really a very pretty sportcar and would be great temptation for me. Unfortunately AM tailors all its models way too narrow. I don't pass in definitely, with my 1.92 cm size.Smiley
    This also applies to other sports cars, they are all too small in the Interior. The Porsche 911 is the only exception and so I will probably stick.  I just hope Porsche will always build desirable models for me...Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

I fell in love with the Vantage a long time ago.

Sexiest body in the world, sexiest exhaust sound, lovely interior, but the performance just that little bit not up to par.

Like a fit toned woman with killer body and killer looks and intelligence, except she is a dead fish in bed.

Had 3 chances to buy one since it was introduced and never got around getting one.

this is very surprising. I owned a 4.2lt V8 roadster N400 and the quoted 400hp was nowhere to be found. The throttle response was so bad, torque/power completely inexistent, heavy and cumbersome that i sold it in 10 days. My mini works felt faster.

Could it be that they fixed that car to such a degree..?

Put it in your list of options Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

intouch1:

RC, that is exactly the problem..

being die hard porsche fans, we have opened up to other marques as well and are very tempted. imo that is not because the competition has caught up. it is because porsche let it slip in important areas.

while there is not a single car that replicates the unique feeling of the 911 (front-end movement and the way it bobs and dances), the others have caught up with more sensory feelings while not driving at 8/10th or above.

sound is a crucial part of the automotive experience.

2 years ago, i would have never thought that i would even consider anything other than a porsche sportscar.

now, i have replaced the 997 turbo with an sls, the cayenne turbo with an x6m and went for a c63 without even considering the panamera....

Very well written.Smiley

However, I will say that Porsche at least with the Turbo has produced a car that can provide performance for all type of drivers. It is close to being a complete car but for the muted exhaust. If they don't do something with the exhaust, I will try to steer my wife to something else.

FWIW, she even made a comment that the car was "sort of quiet". She stated would like to HEAR the sportiness of the car.

--

intouch1:

Wait to see the cajun it blows your mind Smiley Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

Hey Conny, i am still on air...

Yes, they did. The 4.7 engine feels and works much better than the old 4.3. It is a difference like 996 3.4l and now the 997S DI.

"Like a fit toned woman with killer body and killer looks and intelligence, except she is a dead fish in bed." - I KNOW what you mean SmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

Hitting the nail on the head Whoopsy SmileySmiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

It's a great car RC but here is a hint: you can find a low mileage Scuderia for less money and the sound and handling is better Smiley

I love the Vantage too but in the end I didn't got one; two times there was another car that appealed more to me.

--

There is no try. Just do.

much easier to deal with the flashiness of an aston martin than with that of a ferrari.....

--

GT:

this is very surprising. I owned a 4.2lt V8 roadster N400 and the quoted 400hp was nowhere to be found. The throttle response was so bad, torque/power completely inexistent, heavy and cumbersome that i sold it in 10 days. My mini works felt faster.

Could it be that they fixed that car to such a degree..?

The engine felt very powerful and looking at the speedo, it was. I easily got to 180 kph on a certain route where in the MC Stradale, I was barely doing 160 kph. The speedo could be wrong, my rear part wasn't...the car was fast.

--

4trac:

But I think RC is not talking about "beaten" in the sense of performance specs and track times... he is talking about the on-road experience, which is more emotional and feel-based than rational and quantitative.   IMO most of us fall into the trap of putting too much emphasis on reviewers' opinions or track testing, when we should be doing more of what Christian did.... suspend our biases and just go for a drive with an open mind.   Smiley

Very well said.  Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689257 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409060 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255682 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234933 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65489 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857866 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773861 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM