Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: What one thing would you tell Porsche to change

Atzporsche:

I bet they will soon enough with recent developments on the industry regarding reducing emissions...

Most likely, but not for engines of this size.

fritz:
    RC:
    Jean:

1. Stop the cheesy limited edition models.  It undermines brand value.

2. Introduce the Turbo S models (911, Panamera, Cayenne) earlier.

1. Limited edition models are end-of-lifecycle products, they don't undermine the brand value but help save sales until the new model starts(which is pretty important for Porsche since they start a "mixed" production with the "old" and new model).

In fact, special edition models which offer the buyer good value help maintain residual values for existing owners of the model which is being wound down, since the alternative would be to discount the cars during the last months just to keep the production line running.

The knowledge that a brand discounts heavily undermines brand value. 

Fritz, though the rational you offer for special editions makes sense, in practice I am not sure that is the case. Dealers are discounting end model runs. I doubt special editions shore up residuals though I am certain they are profitable for Porsche.

--

There seems to be quite a few 997.2's sitting on showroom floors waiting to sell here. In Reading they have a nice white GTS waiting to go and a black demo GTS too. Surely if they hang around too long then maybe one will get a good discount.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Sometimes we forget that there is a shoe for every foot. My wife would not part with her 08  Orange Boxster S LE and she doesn't care what it's residual  value is either, she got exactly what she wanted with specifications that would have cost about $17K more than we paid for the "limited edition". 

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

nberry:
    fritz:

In fact, special edition models which offer the buyer good value help maintain residual values for existing owners of the model which is being wound down, since the alternative would be to discount the cars during the last months just to keep the production line running.

The knowledge that a brand discounts heavily undermines brand value. 

Fritz, though the rational you offer for special editions makes sense, in practice I am not sure that is the case. Dealers are discounting end model runs. I doubt special editions shore up residuals though I am certain they are profitable for Porsche.

There's discounting and then there's discounting. 

Dealers will surely knock off a few % for a good repeat buyer and/or if they need to move a particular car or particular model, but the discounting which harms residuals is the deep price-cutting that GM and Chrysler particularly have gone in for with banner-headline advertising campaigns selling a yard full of stock purely on price. After they did that for a while, their list prices became meaningless and used car prices naturally became oriented to the lowest discounted prices instead of list.

The special models I'm referring to are those which sell above base model list but, because they are loaded with options, still offer the buyer a good deal on a car in spite of the fact that it is to be replaced by a newer model in the foreseeable future. 

--

fritz

SmileySmiley 

--

Natural leather for all 911 models as standard...in what mind, spending 100.000€ and not getting natural leather, not even in the seats, but in the dash board either....

Sport backet seats at no cost....

Sport exhaust as an option but at no cost at all.

Last but not least, design a seat that no matter how many times you enter, it will not wear out as easily as now, what I mean is the lateral part of the driver's seat..... its not the case of our car, because everytime I enter I am really carefull, but I have seen LOTS of 911 with sport seats or even standard seats totally in bad shape this area, and with less than 20.000kms....

Is it possible right now to order a 911 Cabriolet, with any colour choice you want in the roof ???

Do a GT3 Cabriolet, just like the 16M Scuderia or Performante edition of the gallardo.

Please make sure the 991 sounds at the levels of the 996 with PSE, or even louder...

MORE SOUND IN THE CABIN FOR ANY MODEL, LET THE SOUND ENTER MORE EASILY.....SPECIALLY IN THE TURBO !!! 

--

I want a Walter Rohrl Edition 911, something completely decide by him, be it turbo or NA, whatever color he would choose inside and out, whatever option he decide the car should have and whatever suspension tuning he would want in his own car.

Maybe it would be a NA 450 HP hardcore Ring car, maybe it would be a nice highway cruiser, who knows, but it would be a very special edition indeed.

Whoopsy:

I want a Walter Rohrl Edition 911, something completely decide by him, be it turbo or NA, whatever color he would choose inside and out, whatever option he decide the car should have and whatever suspension tuning he would want in his own car.

Maybe it would be a NA 450 HP hardcore Ring car, maybe it would be a nice highway cruiser, who knows, but it would be a very special edition indeed.

Good idea! Like a Balboni edition for Porsche. I bet we'll see it.

Wow great idea for a special edition actually.

Is Porsche reading this

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

I second that . This would indeed be 'special' 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I had a nap and a nightmare.

Porsche did commission a Walter Rohrl Edition car.

It's a Cayenne Turbo!!!!! Black with black tinted windows and 24" gold plated spinner wheels and a impreza like hood scoop. Oh, and it comes with a Eminem CD blasting out from a 2000W stereo. Walter Rohrl posted with the car wearing a 2 inch thick gold chain around his neck and a gigantic gold Porsche crest.

Porsche used that same guy in those annoying VW ads promoting the car with rap stars and NBA stars doing cameo.

Shhh.......don't give them any ideas. At this stage you cant tell what's coming next.

Hehehehe. I am posting late to the discussion, and everyone has great points already

I would say dials, not buttons

1) Dials for throttle sensitivity

2) Dials for suspension stiffness and damping

3) Dials for speed of steering

4) Dials for traction control

5) Dials for turbo boost

If one has two buttons, one wants 3.... or none. I like the feeling of infinitesimal control

Oh and.. the Porsche audio systems... Better have an open space than the crappy systems they have on there

agree, the GTS is a very good offering. imo the only edition that makes sense and offer actual value.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

agree, the GTS is a very good offering. imo the only edition that makes sense and offer actual value.

I'm very pleased with mine and don't regret ordering it in the slightest...Smiley

I would like to know, however, if Porsche will be introducing a 991 GTS earlier in the model cycle than with the 997?  Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:
    intouch1:

I'm very pleased with mine and don't regret ordering it in the slightest...Smiley

I would like to know, however, if Porsche will be introducing a 991 GTS earlier in the model cycle than with the 997?  Smiley

John, if Porsche does introduce a GTS early in the 991 life cycle, then it will not be such a good deal as yours is. It will then just be a normal variant within the range of 911 derivatives. 

--

fritz

I don't regret ordering the Porsche. However, any car you buy invariably will be lacking an item you wish would have been incorporated into the car.

My issue is the exhaust sound because I firmly believe it is part of a sport car experience. Most car companies selling high performance cars sport or otherwise have incorporated aggressive but not over the top exhaust sounds.

Now it may be Porsche configuration and Boxer engine are unable to produce a sporty sound. I have no idea. But if Porsche can correct this deficiency (and that is what it is) I no doubt that Porsche owners would enjoy their cars even more.

BTW, improved exhaust should not be an option item. It should be part of the Porsche experience.

--

nick, I agree with you on the exhaust, but its not the boxer engine its the turbocharging, and especially bad with the 997TT, listen to a GT3 or a Carrera with sport exhaust and its completely different. Hopefully they will listen and try to overcome that in the 991TT, some turbocharged are able to sound good.
    --

I really like the sound of the Turbo S. Question: is the standard Turbo worse in that respect? 

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

fritz:

John, if Porsche does introduce a GTS early in the 991 life cycle, then it will not be such a good deal as yours is. It will then just be a normal variant within the range of 911 derivatives. 

Exactly. Smiley

Yes, Porsche is planning a 991 Carrera GTS as far as I heard.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

That means GT3 and GT3 RS will move up the 911 food chain maybe...

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

GT3 and GT3 was/is never part of the regular 911 food chain, they are a branch off the main line for track focus group, the GT2 RS is at the top of that branch. The Turbo and Turbo S is part of another branch that focus more on Grand touring,

GTS could be called the top of the main 911 line.

The future of Porsche...

As we look to the future, Porsche needs to establish a direct link to the future of Porsche Motorsport...

2007-RS-Spyder.jpg

Fortunately, this will be simple for Porsche to accomplish and the outcome is a guaranteed success...

51-porsche-918-rsr-live.jpg

Porsche will launch a mid-engined supercar, with styling influenced by the 918 RSR racer, sharing selected components with the next generation 991 and Cayman, but with some of the most important components provided by Porsche Motorsport...

13005588933662011-Porsche-918-Coupe_AutoExpress.jpg

...so what should Porsche change?

The most important single component of any supercar is, of course, the engine...

Porsche Motorsport has produced some of the all time great naturally-aspirated engines and these should be at the core of the future 918 road car...

Porsche should offer two naturally aspirated, high revving, motorsport-derived engine options for the new 918 road car model:

Porsche Motorsport Flat-6 engine (GT1-derived Mezger)
    4.0-litre naturally aspirated, water-cooled
    500bhp
    9000rpm
    6-speed manual gearbox

The Legend Lives - pic 1.jpg

Porsche Motorsport 4.0-litre flat-six engine to be unveiled in the 997 GT3 RS(R) 4.0-litre...

Porsche Motorsport V8 engine
    4.5-litre naturally aspirated, water-cooled, DFI
    565bhp
    9500rpm
    7-speed PDK Gearbox

Porsche-RS-Spyder_V8-engine-1.jpg

Porsche Motorsport V8 engine derived from the RS Spyder...

Andreas-Preuninger_Porsche-911-GT3_Grid-TV_Image.jpg

Andreas Preuninger should oversee development of the Porsche 918 at Weissach, ensuring a direct link to Porsche Motorsport’s development of the 918 RSR racer...

Porsche-2231111529541411600x1060.jpg

...thanks to Chris Harris and Porsche for the videos!

Smiley SmileySmiley 

The Auto Express car is beautiful.

The AutoCar car is dreadful!

.....In my opinion.

Somebody should print this thread with all the posts and pass it on to Porsche.  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

Somebody should print this thread with all the posts and pass it on to Porsche.  

That's definitely the job of an Administrator. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I suspect they are tuned in. The bigger issue is will they listen.

--

I would sell my organs to order the 918 GT3 with 4.0 flat-6 engine

Also I LOVE the Autocar rendering, it's very very realistic i think. Plus it is stunning!!!

--

..and that's why "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759106 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433500 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259643 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256778 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80503 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870476 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805398 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM