Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2011 Australian F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne

Webber is a good driver and a great personality (and a Porsche GT2 RS owner ) and I like him. But he is not at the same level as Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso IMO. These are authentic talents in spite of some weaknesses in certain areas. Webber could have won the title last year (and why not since in F1 history worse drivers have won it) but he didn't. However, he must be grateful to RBR because he has already 6 wins to credit, pole positions and fastest laps and ended up high in the ranking. RBR raised him from anonymity to the level of a challenger at least.

Vettel will be much better this year because he is maturing and feels more confident with the #1 on his car. I hope we see a 3 way battle with HAM and ALO until the end.

--

"Form follows function"

Red Bull flexing a lot, much more than others. I hope others will find a way how to do that without being banned on FIA's check after race.

The biggest suprise was McLaren IMO. After winter testing I expected they will fight for points in first races. Im sure Ferrari will improve a car and I hope we will see WDC battle between Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso - the best 3 drivers in F1 IMO.

James Allen thinks Webber was far behind because of a poor strategy decision by Webber - it didn't pay off.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/03/a-deep-dive-into-the-race-strategies-in-melbourne/

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Interesting media spat between Button and Massa

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6837140/Button-unhappy-with-Ferrari-tactics

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6838937/Massa-No-sympathy-for-Button

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Hamilton is saying Alonso is his Prost:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6839900/Hamilton-I-See-Alonso-As-My-Prost

This is silly - he should let the past go - his real nemesis this year is Vettel

--

RT Moderator 

Not very clever parallelism on behalf of Hamilton. Prost ended his career alive with 4 titles but Senna died on the track (after making a mistake, most probably). 

--

"Form follows function"

I think he is refering to the fact that he see's himself and Alonso as the overall top drivers and uses Senna and Prost as an example. Vettel won last year but just barely and because Ferrari team threw it away in the last race, inspite of having a car far better than the rest of the drivers, making many mistakes, not doing well in the close hand to hand combat between drivers, etc. Hamilton or Alonso in the RB would of won the championship several races before the season ended. So he doesn't give Vettel the same respect, he hasn't earnt it yet. He has the potential, but he still has to prove it, unlike Hamilton and Alonso.

I don't think he was refering to Alonso as his enemy, just his rival in F1, which I would agree with if all cars were the same, but they are not, so he should also worry about Vettel because the RB seems so far one step ahead as last year.

--

Hamilton and Alonso in the best car wouldn't have a championship rival within their own team. They wouldn't allow that to happen, politically.

--

"Form follows function"

Oh common, riding the high horse much. FA and LH both didn't win last year did they? Period.

Saying that they would have won races ago in a RB and then going on to say they didn't in a Ferrari which is superior LOL.

Both Alonso and Hamilton need to show their amazing just as Vettel is doing atm. Can't pass a Ferrari... common.

I think this season is going to be great for the simple fact that a small team Red Bull is giving the big money teams a run for their money with a young and talented driver against their "best drivers ever" 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Atzporsche:

Oh common, riding the high horse much. FA and LH both didn't win last year did they? Period.

That a simple way of looking at it to say the least. However, loooking at overall results without context can be very isleading to say the least, and in F1 this is an understatement.

Saying that they would have won races ago in a RB and then going on to say they didn't in a Ferrari which is superior LOL.

Both Alonso and Hamilton need to show their amazing just as Vettel is doing atm. Can't pass a Ferrari... common.

If you can abstract yourself from your Vettelmania you would see that they have along several seasons, and not necesarily when their car was the best one of the grid by far and started race after race from pole with a clear view ahead and 0.5-1 sec lap advantage over everyone else in the pocket. Look at Hamilton's performance season last year with his slower McLaren and extrapolate that to having RB's perfomrnace advantage and add up the points he would of racked by the end of the season, and even more so with Alonso, who even came into the last race ahead in the points inspite of the Ferrari being one step behind all season.

I think this season is going to be great for the simple fact that a small team Red Bull is giving the big money teams a run for their money with a young and talented driver against their "best drivers ever" 

Small team? don't confuse relatively new team to F1 with small team, RB is anything but small. They have the same resources as the other teams, they were just an underdog because they were relatively new to the game and had that disadvantage, not size.

--

Atzporsche:

Red Bull is far from a small team. They have the 3rd of 4rth largest budget on the grid! Also, Ferrari and McLaren have downsized considerably during the past years, there is no engine development (a typical Ferrari stronghold), they have the genius called Adrian Newey designing their car and a works engine (albeit not a top one like the Ferrari or the Mercedes). On top of that Vettel is a pipping hot talent. This is no David vs Goliath battle, rather a large army taking on some slightly larger armies.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

From the same interviw:

LH: "I don't think [Vettel is my biggest rival]. If he continues to have a car like he does now then, maybe, but I think when we get equal pace then we will see some serious racing.

Ouch! 

--

easy_rider911:

James Allen thinks Webber was far behind because of a poor strategy decision by Webber - it didn't pay off.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/03/a-deep-dive-into-the-race-strategies-in-melbourne/

His team points to something wrong with his car causing excessive tire degradation and therefore was forced to do 3 stops instead of 2 like Vettel, it wasn't a tactical decision.They say they are going to strip the car to find out because Horner declares that he can't remember a time were the pace was so different beween the two drivers. Who knows what really happened though, may be just a smoke screen...

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport/story/44542.html

--

Carlos from Spain:

Small team? don't confuse relatively new team to F1 with small team, RB is anything but small. They have the same resources as the other teams, they were just an underdog because they were relatively new to the game and had that disadvantage, not size.

--

Small team was meant as in not a car manufacturer that prides themselves in producing the best sports cars on the Planet. I'm they have the same budget, it is still embarrassing for the powerhouses of Ferrari and McLaren to struggle in behind. Don't get me wrong, I love this aspect in F1 right now. Certainly interesting. Smiley

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Indeed, certainly better than when Ferrari dominated for so many years straight during Schumacher's time, the best driver in a car that was better than the rest, it was overkill and was very boring. And the underdog team won last year but they are no longer the underdog this year and I just hope that this season, the car performance playing field is more equal and drivers get to play a more important role in the game so we can see some "serious racing" as Hamilton call it, he certainly feels confident they will catch up and has declared his intentions to battle it out then. We will see if Ferrari can also pull off what they could not in all of the previous season and also join the fun. And maybe Mercedes too hopefully.

Unfortunately a track like Malasia is said to favor the RB and their downforce so maybe we will have to wait for another GP.. or pray for rain? SmileySmiley

--

I loved the Ferrari dominance Schumacher knew how to build a team and revived it to what it became. FA or LH could do the same...................

As for this season, looks like the wing flap thing is very stupid and pointless. Maybe it was just this particular GP with a tough last turn before the shortish straight, it didn't make racing more exciting. JB could not pass FM with both  KERS and flaps.... That's a failed mechanism if you ask me.

I hope to see some serious racing, but unfortunately the new parameters are too much of a change this season. Think of new tires, new aero, new stupid flappy wings... all these add to chaos and uncertainty and not "serious racing" I really hope to see a closer battle on the track with overtakes and even some crashes.

--

Atzporsche:

I loved the Ferrari dominance Schumacher knew how to build a team and revived it to what it became. FA or LH could do the same...................

Schumacher was great driver and worked very hard, but Ferrari dominance was not only because of him. At that time the best people were in Ferrari, and also they had the biggest budget. You could call them "dream team" at that time. Now Jean Todt is FIA president, Ross Brawn is at Mercedes, Rory Byrne retired and he has only consulting role etc. A lot of those people were already in Benetton which won in 94 and 95, later they moved with Schumacher to a Ferrari.  

Shakal:
    Atzporsche:

Schumacher was great driver and worked very hard, but Ferrari dominance was not only because of him. At that time the best people were in Ferrari, and also they had the biggest budget. You could call them "dream team" at that time. Now Jean Todt is FIA president, Ross Brawn is at Mercedes, Rory Byrne retired and he has only consulting role etc. A lot of those people were already in Benetton which won in 94 and 95, later they moved with Schumacher to a Ferrari.  

Well put! Also engine development was permitted and Ferrari had that engine-wiz Paolo Martinelli developing their almighty V10s! On top of that, budgets were 2-3 larger than current ones and we all know who had the... largest. Smiley Those were the golden years! But now they are gone... Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

This is amazing, look at how much better the RB go around the bends that they can even open up the rear wing out of the corner way before their rivals and do away with the extra downforce of the rear wing for the corner in favor of more speed. This is a qualifying lap, that is why they can use the DSR at will and not only to pass in the straight as is the case of the race. Left Vettel's RB, right Alonso's Ferrari.

2011_Formula1_Melbourne_FP1_DSR_Analysis por aarte25

Could it be because of how much lower the front wing flexes in the RB's?... seems like they are using the same trick as last year while managing to pass the FIA regulations.

--

So much to look forward to this season! Off to a good start I would say.

@ CfS I do think the same as you, FA & LH are definetelly the best racers out there, unfortunatelly RK is out that season, he's also one of their league!

In 2007 when FA & LH drove in the same team they both scored the same amount of points, they were absolutely equal...

Since then both dominated their teammate by far

But both last WC (JB & SV) did only win their championships due to their overperforming car...

Although I do really like MS and admire his achievements, his time seems to be over, NR is outperforming him again!

Looking forward to the next races and hopping Ferrari and McLaren beeing back in the hunt for chasing down the RedBulls.

Completely agree with your points as well. Fortunately neither LH, FA, or RK are on the RB this season, otherwise it would be a very short season at that. I'm hoping for at least rain on the qualifying in Malasia to mix things up a bit for the race.

--

Newey says McLaren should be grateful to Red Bull for their leap forward - since they copied Red Bull's exhaust design

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6843971/-McLaren-Should-Say-Thanks-

--

RT Moderator 

More from James Allen on HRT's abysmal showing in Melbourne

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/03/what-is-hispanias-place-in-formula-1/

Could this new front wing change things? I'll believe it only when I see it

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Horner says Vettel's car and Webber's car were not materially different in Melbourne. He says the performance difference was because Vettel was in "electrifying form" and obviously Webber was not. He identified a rear damper issue, some settings differences etc but he downplayed the significance of these.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6858267/Horner-There-is-no-smoking-gun

--

RT Moderator 

easy_rider911:

Horner says Vettel's car and Webber's car were not materially different in Melbourne. He says the performance difference was because Vettel was in "electrifying form" and obviously Webber was not. He identified a rear damper issue, some settings differences etc but he downplayed the significance of these.

Another stab in the back of Webber by his own team to shift the blame on Webber's driving Smiley 16 Do they think that anybody (press and fans) is going to believe huge difference was do the drivers all of a sudden?Smiley 28

I hope Webber stays strong and doesn't let himself be affected by this. 

--

Carlos from Spain:
    easy_rider911:

Another stab in the back of Webber by his own team to shift the blame on Webber's driving Smiley 16 Do they think that anybody (press and fans) is going to believe huge difference was do the drivers all of a sudden?Smiley 28

+1, SV and MW are the team drivers to watch, imo, this season. Going to be very interesting.

If anything, this sort of gossip should make MW push even harder, lets hope not too hard though as mistakes could happen..

Go go Webb Smiley..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Carlos from Spain:

Webber has been dealing with this issue all his career, he ALWAYS gets the short end of the stick so I don't even think he pays much attention anymore, he just let his driving take care of itself, barring any more bad luck on the track, which he HAD far too many over the years.

Well more than ever I hope him the best this weekend and pull out a weekend like some of  the last season (as say again "not bad for the second driver"), it would be great for him.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM