Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ayrton Senna Movie

[post edited by Rennteam Moderator]

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/34fcl7a.jpg

Re: Ayrton Senna Movie

I have a big dilemma here.

Really want to go to the cinema and watch it, or buy the DVD when it comes out.

But now that you post this online, dont know what to do............

By the way, how is it ??....I have read its worth every second !!!....

I can seriously say, I have already watched big big part of the videos uploaded on youtube related to Senna.

A great documental from him was the one from Top Gear : Very emotional

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNmqn3heGgE

--

@BiTurbo: I'm sorry  - you've embedded videos here on RT of an entire feature film which would be a breach of copyright. This could potentially expose RT to legal liability if the copyright holder (Universal Pictures, Working Title and/or Studio Canal) were to take legal action against RT (and any such legal action might jeopardise the future of this forum which is something that none of us wants).

As a result, we can't permit illegal file sharing to be hosted on RT. So, I regret that I have to delete this content. If you need to discuss this further, please feel free to contact any of the Moderators.

Thank you for your understanding.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

An interesting article from the BBC's Andrew Benson on this movie:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2011/04/senna_immortalised_in_new_movi.html

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I never liked Senna the person as opposed to the driver, a lot. He was a top racing driver with lots of natural ability, no doubt about that, but when he mixed other notions and pseudo-philosophies ,about God religion and spirituality, to driving and whatever else came to his mind, I found it weird and somehow disturbed. Sometimes this occurred in post race interviews and it was totally out of place. Either the man wasn't 100% or mentally or he was a great self publicist or one who made a false and hypocritical show for his fans. He was merely driving a car fast, he wasn't the "Chosen One" or anything like that.

He was a rich guy even before F1 because he came from a very privileged family in the very unequal society of Brazil. Therefore, the fact that charities were set up in his name don't make him a saint.

For me the top people in F1in the modern era have been, in chronological order:

Jackie  Stewart

Niki Lauda

Alain Prost

Michael Schumacher.

All very down to earth, shrewd and talented unpretentious racers.

If I had to choose one then, Lauda is the #1 for me!

--

"Form follows function"

Schumi "down to earth"? Really? I like him but that isn't how I would describe him   He wasn't nicknamed 'King Michael' for nothing ...

I assume the modern era for you starts with Jackie Stewart - but from what I've seen, the first of the modern greats for me was Jim Clark. He was a driving genius with superhuman ability behind the wheel.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

To qualify for my list someone has to win the Title 3 times at least and preferably out-survive F1.

Modern era for me is 70s onwards. JYS won his first title in 1969 but he still qualifies.

Schumacher is very down to earth, I think. He likes his money, his houses and his luxuries like any ultra rich man would do. He always talks about what he knows, race driving, and he doesn't get carried away in concepts and things beyond him. He doesn't pretend to be anything more than a very rich sports person.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I never liked Senna the person as opposed to the driver, a lot. He was a top racing driver with lots of natural ability, no doubt about that, but when he mixed other notions and pseudo-philosophies ,about God religion and spirituality, to driving and whatever else came to his mind, I found it weird and somehow disturbed. Sometimes this occurred in post race interviews and it was totally out of place. Either the man wasn't 100% or mentally or he was a great self publicist or one who made a false and hypocritical show for his fans. He was merely driving a car fast, he wasn't the "Chosen One" or anything like that.

He was a rich guy even before F1 because he came from a very privileged family in the very unequal society of Brazil. Therefore, the fact that charities were set up in his name don't make him a saint.

For me the top people in F1in the modern era have been, in chronological order:

Jackie  Stewart

Niki Lauda

Alain Prost

Michael Schumacher.

All very down to earth, shrewd and talented unpretentious racers.

If I had to choose one then, Lauda is the #1 for me!

--

"Form follows function"

Well said. Even though, I too would go for Jim Clark, as he was hugely talented compared to his pupil, Sir Jackie.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I never knew he owned 911s

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/34fcl7a.jpg

easy_rider911:

Schumi "down to earth"? Really? I like him but that isn't how I would describe him   He wasn't nicknamed 'King Michael' for nothing ...

I assume the modern era for you starts with Jackie Stewart - but from what I've seen, the first of the modern greats for me was Jim Clark. He was a driving genius with superhuman ability behind the wheel.

Agreed on Jim Clark Smiley King Michael actually has a sense of humor about F1, himself and other drivers that is easily missed if you only view his actions and comments in black and white.

I also liked Clay Reggazoni, Jody Sheckter and James Hunt the Shunt.

Missing these days in F1 is some one like driver Bruno Giacomelli, not that he was a fabulous driver, but he did chase the Koni rep on foot through the pits to beat him with a broken Koni shock absorber.Smiley

Hamilton realises his dream and drives Senna's car...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8853201.stm

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory.

--

John H:

Hamilton realises his dream and drives Senna's car...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8853201.stm

Thanks, John.

AS, one of my heros...Smiley...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Gauss:

Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory.

+1 here... Damn BBC is being really annoying lately. Pricks Smiley

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

BTW the BBC is funded by UK TV licence fee payers who don't subsidise content to be provided to overseas viewers etc. It's not a commercial TV station that raises revenue from advertising.

--

RT Moderator 

I watched the Ayrton Senna movie on YouTube. I thought the movie was OK but really nothing special. Frankly, I couldn't see why the film has been hyped up so much. In recent times, I've watched what I thought were far better F1 documentaries produced by BBC4 on Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart and Graham Hill.

Senna was no doubt a highly competitive and successful F1 driver who wanted to win at all costs - even if that meant trying to overtake when the opportunity to do so was only very slight, driving other drivers off the track and/or risking his own life and the lives of others in the process. He achieved a great deal no doubt but, personally, I never liked his style.

He was an intense man who was self-absorbed and even borderline deranged. It always surprises me when sportsmen go philosophical: e.g. Eric Cantona's musings, Vettel after winning the 2011 Australian F1 Grand Prix ( " ... we are who we are ..." ... huh? What was that all about?)

IMO the best exponents of any skill, profession etc are the ones who make it look easy and who remain in complete control of the situation and of themselves. In the world of Cricket, Sachin Tendulkar is a perfect example. In Tennis, Roger Federer epitomises this.

If I need an ace fighter pilot to defend my country, I want someone who is completely calm and unruffled - who can perform amazing manoeuvres, drop a missile on the enemy and return home safely to base.

The same analysis applies to the surgeon who performs an intricate operation, the astronaut who fixes a malfunctioning spacecraft during a spacewalk or a guy defusing a bomb.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I am puzzled how different people can see a sportsman´s actions, on and off the track.

Just watched the documentary last night, and IMO, it is wonderful and very very worthwhile. It paints the picture of a very passionate and likeable man together with some great racing footage. I absolutely love it.

easy_rider911:

Easy,

I find him very down to Earth when I heard him saying that "the best F1 driver is Senna" while watching Top Gear episode about Ayrton Senna.

It's a plausible comment from someone who has been one of the best drivers of all time F1 history. I still can't understand why he has returned F1 after age of 40 Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

easy_rider911:

I watched the Ayrton Senna movie on YouTube. I thought the movie was OK but really nothing special. Frankly, I couldn't see why the film has been hyped up so much. In recent times, I've watched what I thought were far better F1 documentaries produced by BBC4 on Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart and Graham Hill.

Senna was no doubt a highly competitive and successful F1 driver who wanted to win at all costs - even if that meant trying to overtake when the opportunity to do so was only very slight, driving other drivers off the track and/or risking his own life and the lives of others in the process. He achieved a great deal no doubt but, personally, I never liked his style.

He was an intense man who was self-absorbed and even borderline deranged. It always surprises me when sportsmen go philosophical: e.g. Eric Cantona's musings, Vettel after winning the 2011 Australian F1 Grand Prix ( " ... we are who we are ..." ... huh? What was that all about?)

IMO the best exponents of any skill, profession etc are the ones who make it look easy and who remain in complete control of the situation and of themselves. In the world of Cricket, Sachin Tendulkar is a perfect example. In Tennis, Roger Federer epitomises this.

If I need an ace fighter pilot to defend my country, I want someone who is completely calm and unruffled - who can perform amazing manoeuvres, drop a missile on the enemy and return home safely to base.

The same analysis applies to the surgeon who performs an intricate operation, the astronaut who fixes a malfunctioning spacecraft during a spacewalk or a guy defusing a bomb.

Smiley

Watched it last night. It was almost 3 hours long but I enjoyed every second of it. I never realised how intense the rivalry was between Prost/Batiste and Senna. It also revealed that being a talented driver is only half the challenge of being in F1.  There were so many moments where I got goosebumps on my arms and others where I had tears in my eyes, one of the most emotionally moving films I have ever watched .

Almost 3hrs long? What version did you watch?

Porker:

Almost 3hrs long? What version did you watch?

Long breaks for commercials? SmileySmiley

--

fritz

What I watched was 1 hour 45 mins long. IMDb says so too 106 mins long.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1424432/

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Yes, same here...

Apparently there are 2 versions:

1) Theatrical version (1H 45 Min) - Seems to be the one that most people watched.

2) Extended Version (2H 45Min) - Includes commentary from Alan Prost, Ron Dennis and others during various scenes of the film.

I have seen both and think that the extended version makes a huge difference as it gives more insight and important details about certain race's and incidents which I would otherwise not have known about.

What a coincidence I watched it about 3 days ago as well, the extended version. It's an amazing piece of film, without a doubt the best motoring related documentary I've ever seen.

Enmanuel:

without a doubt the best motoring related documentary I've ever seen.

Agreed, and we aren't the only ones that think so. On IMDB it now holds the #1 spot for greatest documentary ever.

www.imdb.com/chart/documentary

Since we have a lot of new members in the last month, I'm bumping this thread.

I finally got to see it in the theater a couple of nights ago and found it incredibly moving. I learned so much I never knew and got a real sense of who Senna was but also of what it's like to be inside the F1 world.

And it's not just for car nuts -- the afternoon before we went, my wife was getting her haircut and when she told the stylist where she was going, the girl started raving about how much she loved the movie.

Apparently, Senna comes across as sexy to women. Don't see it myself...

So, if you haven't seen it and if it's playing anywhere near you, go see it. Great stuff.

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

must watch it very soon!

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM