Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What one thing would you tell Porsche to change

in your Porsche? We are car enthusiast and have a pretty good knowledge of all make of cars.Though we love our cars, there is always something that needs in improvement.

My suggestion would be to improve the exhaust sound. A sport car should sound like a sport car. Sadly, most Porsche's sound like they have been castrated. A premium brand sport car like Porsche should sound aggressive and sexy.It should provide sensory feedback commiserate with its performance. Instead, we get a whimperingly sewing machine sound. Hell, even cheaper sport cars sound much better. Smiley 

What would you tell Porsche?

--

Re: What one thing would you tell Porsche to change

tell 'em what you drive...

Certainly i bet a lot will agree with the exhaust sound on the 997.x Turbo.

I would tell Porsche to bring the 944 idea back. Make a 4cyliner front engined RWD beast for the masses!! 

How would that be for hitting their 200,000 unit target. I loved my 944. It too was too quiet so i removed all the carpet and isolation in the back and it sounded like a track beast after Those were my younger days, but still. I'd love to see a modern interpretation of the 944.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

To make a 991GT3 with optional rear seats, (along with the optional front lift and standard PSM)  

--

a pure minimalistic 911. engine chassis and basic comfort options. no wings etc.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Nick, if you want a great exhaust sound, get a GT3 - it's the real deal  

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

Nick, if you want a great exhaust sound, get a GT3 - it's the real deal  

I concur; just got back from another ride in our RS and the sound is so amazing. Smiley

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

The price Smiley (of options at least...)

--

There is no try. Just do.

I agree. I heard one a couple of weeks ago. Certainly far better than the 911 basic models. What if anything would you change in your Porsche?
    --

similar wish, the GT3 motor in the GTS Smiley

GT3 motor in Boxster to make a mini CGT 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Pentium:

The price Smiley (of options at least...)

Yeah so I can get one sooner rather than later Smiley

A Cayenne with a 3rd row seat option, like the BM X5....

Also, for them to stop putting there prices up every 5 minutes.

There price increase ratio seems somewhat higher and more frequent than BMW, for example...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

intouch1:

a pure minimalistic 911. engine chassis and basic comfort options. no wings etc.

1++

--

93' Guard Red 968 Coupe

Bring back the hand throttle! It makes it so easy to climb up snow driveways.

add 50hp to every model n stay on the prices.....

Monster:
    intouch1:

1++

On this point, I wonder how many GTs, Boxster Spyder or Cayman R are ordered without optioning the convenience features missing from the original specification. Things like A/C, sound system, PCM, telephone, navigation etc.

Everybody likes to talk about minimalism but very few people do without these features, unless they have a car dedicated solely to track driving. 2011 is a different world from the 60s. Even Lotus have started adding features to their cars now to satisfy consumer demand. Evora S was weighed at 1437kgs in Autocar last week!

--

"Form follows function"

...100% in agreement. If Porsche weren't "offering" many of these options as standard, they would currently be criticized for not doing so.

I would tell them to have a serious look at their motorsport program and to never forget the importance that it has historically had in establishing the Porsche brand.

nberry:

in your Porsche? We are car enthusiast and have a pretty good knowledge of all make of cars.Though we love our cars, there is always something that needs in improvement.

My suggestion would be to improve the exhaust sound. A sport car should sound like a sport car. Sadly, most Porsche's sound like they have been castrated. A premium brand sport car like Porsche should sound aggressive and sexy.It should provide sensory feedback commiserate with its performance. Instead, we get a whimperingly sewing machine sound. Hell, even cheaper sport cars sound much better. Smiley 

What would you tell Porsche?

My list of improvements:

- more headroom and more comfortable seats in the rear(kids are humans too...)

- Turbo models: Much better exhaust sound, active aerodynamics rather than a wing.

- GT2/3 models with optional rear seats

- Less silver, more black(decoration interior, etc.)

- Sport chassis for Cabriolet too

- PCCB should be cheaper(a couple of years have passed and the price tag is still the same) and the Carrera PCCB should have 380 mm discs in front, like the Turbo/GT models

- Speedo cluster with LCD TFT display, different design look(changeable), Turbo models: Separate turbo boost gauge

- Entry level model should have 380 hp flat. Carrera S models should have 420 hp with optional 450 hp powerkit. Turbo models should start at 540 hp, Turbo S at 580 hp. GT models should start at 480 hp(GT3), RS models at 500 hp and the GT2 at 600 hp. There would still be room for a GT2 RS at 650 hp.

Boxster

- Design a tiny bit more masculine

- Rear lights smaller

- Turbo model(with at least 360 hp)

Cayman

- Design less Boxster-like

- Rear lights smaller

- Turbo model(with at least 360 hp)

- Low weight(no A/C, no noise dampening, bucket seats, etc.) Club version optional(free of cost)

Panamera 

- Design less massive(car looks huge)

- Optional third seat in the rear

- iPad integration in the rear(for the kids)

- Headlight design more simple(or "sachlich" how Ferry Porsche called it), taillights slightly smaller and more elegant

- Overall design optimization(especially the rear part)

- GTS model with sport suspension and a tuned V8 engine with 450 hp based on the V8 S model

- Turbo GTS model with sport suspension and a tuned V8 bi-turbo engine with 600 hp(alternative: Any other engine derived from Lamborghini/Bentley), active aerodynamics

- 100 kg weight loss on all models

Cayenne

- More powerful Diesel engine, 350 hp minimum, 400-450 hp even better

- Optimized headlight design

- Sportier steering, shifting and throttle reaction, especially Turbo model

- Cayenne Turbo S with 550 hp and active aerodynamics

- GTS version with less weight, sport chassis and at least 450 hp V8, manual optional and AWD delete option(saving at least 80 kg weight)

- 100 kg weight loss on all models

- iPad integration rear(for kids)

- Better exhaust sound for Turbo model(s)

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

nberry:
    What if anything would you change in your Porsche?

Nothing to be honest - I'm so happy with it Smiley

Fundamentally, it's luxurious on the inside (with all the comfort options I wanted) and sporty in performance and character (with -20mm sports suspension, PSE, LSD, short shifter etc).

I think it's a keeper ...

I've been toying with the idea of one day giving it to my wife ... while I am considering eventually getting a 991.2 GT3 for myself Smiley

There's little point selling such a wonderful car - the resale value just doesn't do it justice Smiley Smiley

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I know what I'ld say: Give me a job as a test driver. 

Eunice:

I know what I'ld say: Give me a job as a test driver. 

Just apply as a software engineer in Weissach and you may get lucky. Smiley

Unfortunately this can be a very tough job and not so much fun as most people think it is.

Example: You need to drive 1000 km at a certain speed, lets say 120 kph, in a certain gear. Since all data is recorded, you actually have no choice. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

To add to your comment, I visited Weissach  a few years ago and there was a 911 going round the circuit at no more than 100-120 km/h for the whole 90 minutes of my stay there. Most probably testing a component. Hardly, a dream job!

--

"Form follows function"

Can't they just give me a car every now and then?

On my GT3 Nothing !!!

Well if i was pushed maybe the steering wheel to be a little thicker

(But that is available as an optional extra)

Eunice:

Can't they just give me a car every now and then?

If a certain person, I won't say a name, would be as aggressive with the Porsche marketing department as with his real life job, we certainly could get a car here and then. Smiley Smiley

I don't have the power and the gift of persuasion to make this happen...but he could. Smiley

--

As most of the specific car upgrades have been covered...

General Marketing

Add a section on the configurator for the Porsche Exclusive options with pricing. Reducing the complexity of the current ordering system (and lack of dealer sales staff knowledge) will boost your profit immensely as most people would choose at least some of these options to make their cars more individual.

Improve the choice of standard colours available on each model and stop charging silly money for "special order" colours which were once part of the standard range. Bring back more of the standard non metallic colours from the early seventies - signal orange, slate grey, chartreuse green, albert blue etc.

Make it easier to order contrast stitching for the entire car in a range of colours like Ferrari do instead of the stupid and complicated way you have to do it now by adding thicker steering wheel, aluminium handbrake etc.

Improve the bicolour options to allow the customer to choose which colours they want to combine instead of the current mandated options which are poor IMHO.

I love both of mine mostly as they are.  I would be happier with the Cayenne if the gas mileage were better (substantial better) and if the vehicle were a bit smaller overall.  On the Boxster, the noise inside can be tiring on long trips, but I don't think there's a real solution to that because I want those sounds on short trips.

1. I'd like the option of more normal all season tyres. Given that most of the journeys are at normal speeds, the ultra high performance rubber fitted compromise ride and wet weather behaviour. The normal tyres are particularly needed in areas where winter tyres are not appropriate and therefore the same tyre must be fit for all seasons.
    2. Also, the Sport mode of PASM is wasted because it is not relevant on the road but it is more suited to the track. I'd like to have 3 PASM modes,  Normal, Sport-Strasse and Sport-Rennstrecke

--

"Form follows function"

3 PASM settings would be good and the option of Sport PASM (-20mm) on the Boxster/Cayman.  A conventional linear steering rack with less filtering would be useful too.  Otherwise cheaper options or failing that, more bundles of discounted options

--

Gen II Cayman S

I would ask to concentrate on luxury sport cars instead of being provider of budget sport cars as well as family sedans and SUVs!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802223 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448203 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265785 323
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    264524 288
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6282 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885044 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831483 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM